PDA

View Full Version : ChiefsPlanet I'm retiring due to health reasons. AMA

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 07:30 AM
I have short term memory loss. The doctors can’t seem to find the root cause. This isn’t some forgetfulness, it’s serious. They tell me I have about 10 years before I will lose all short-term memory. I will retain all long-term memories. So that post you make about me in 2006 is still going to be up there in my noggin.

I have previously shared this diagnosis with the mods. I asked them to keep this information confined to the mod lounge. Which they did and I appreciated their consideration. They encouraged me to share this information with the rest of the Planet. It’s time to come clean.

I also have CLL (Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia). Its only put me in the hospital once and it usually does not kill people these days.

Would not be a BRC post without bragging so…. Last 10 years of my career, I architected, designed, and implemented the first cloud at Bank of America, the largest private cloud in the world for the military and for IBM, the world’s largest serverless IT infrastructure services provider with thousands of enterprise customers, thousands of applications in more than 60 countries.

You cannot do that kind of work without a functioning short-term memory, so I have no choice but to retire.

I’m 65. I’m being forced to retire a little early but only losing a couple of years anyway. I’ll have a comfortable retirement alongside my wife of 34 years.

AMA

Dunerdr
04-15-2024, 07:33 AM
Is the butt in your avi yours?

notorious
04-15-2024, 07:34 AM
Sorry man. Keep your chin up.

ThrobProng
04-15-2024, 07:37 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Will your other faculties be compromised? I'm trying to imagine having no short term memory, and being fully aware that your most recent memory was _____ years ago.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 07:37 AM
Is the butt in your avi yours?No, the wife's back in the day.:rolleyes:

kccrow
04-15-2024, 07:38 AM
Good to hear you had a nice career. Sorry for your health concerns.

I mean, the positive is that in 10 years it might be nice to forget that you shit your pants the day before.

Kman34
04-15-2024, 07:39 AM
Congratulations on your retirement… Sorry about your health and memory issues.. Enjoy your retirement with your wife.. Do some traveling…

Kman34
04-15-2024, 07:39 AM
Congratulations on your retirement… Sorry about your health and memory issues.. Enjoy your retirement with your wife.. Do some traveling…

notorious
04-15-2024, 07:40 AM
Start doing memory exercises of the Mahomes era so you aren't stuck in the Herm/Pioli years when you recall Chiefs football.

BigBeauford
04-15-2024, 07:40 AM
Happy retirement, and remember:

https://i.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/facebook/000/017/319/don't_believe_his_lies_jpeg.jpg

Otter
04-15-2024, 07:42 AM
Can I borrow some money that I'll gladly pay back May 1st?

All kidding aside I'm truly sorry to hear this BRC. I know we're butted heads over the years but once we stopped engaging each other in DC I think we became civil.

Hang in there bud and I wish you nothing but the best.

If I didn't hate heat and humidity so much I'd be sending resumes to the Florida area.

cheers

Monticore
04-15-2024, 07:42 AM
Did you post this on CP so you don’t forget you retired? You should do a daily journal so you can remember your days and we can make fun of you . All joking aside sorry to hear about your condition 65 is still a good age to retire go enjoy it but make sure you take lots of pictures.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 07:44 AM
I'm sorry to hear that. Will your other faculties be compromised? I'm trying to imagine having no short term memory, and being fully aware that your most recent memory was _____ years ago.I guess long term memory is usually chemical memories in the brain. Short term is electrical memories. So no matter that I'll remember my childhood and all my life but something new that I know may be lost when I knew it just a second ago.

Dartgod

Did you double post in case he forgot he read the first one?

Otter
I actually do have a question, you mentioned you've had some high level IT jobs for the government that would require some background checks (I'd imagine) and you've had a couple mishaps in your youth.

How did you get past the litmus test on those?

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 07:46 AM
Start doing memory exercises of the Mahomes era so you aren't stuck in the Herm/Pioli years when you recall Chiefs football.Thankfully, the Mahomes era is all up in the noggin. But, so is the 80's football and Herm/Pioli eras too.

Fish
04-15-2024, 07:47 AM
Sorry to hear that.

But about that $10 you owe me...

In58men
04-15-2024, 07:49 AM
Damn, bro is going to come back here in 1 hour and say “when did I create this thread?”.

Just kidding, my grandpa is going through dementia. It’s shitty.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-15-2024, 07:49 AM
sorry to hear this BRC, you're a good man. If I may make a suggestion, keep a journal of daily events for reference. Just 15 minutes a day to take notes of key things, like conversations and places you go.

I've been having some really weird shit happening to me since around November last year. The spirits around me are getting annoying. I almost started a thread about it but people here already think I'm crazy.

Hang in there and take one day at a time.

KCUnited
04-15-2024, 07:51 AM

Titty Meat
04-15-2024, 07:51 AM
Get well soon man

kozzman555
04-15-2024, 07:53 AM
Are you talking Baby Dory short term memory loss or Ten Second Tom short term memory loss?

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 07:54 AM
Congratulations on your retirement… Sorry about your health and memory issues.. Enjoy your retirement with your wife.. Do some traveling…Yeah, I've traveled all over the world. My wife hasn't been anywhere outside this hemisphere. We are going to fix that.

Mosbonian
04-15-2024, 07:57 AM
I have short term memory loss. The doctors can’t seem to find the root cause. This isn’t some forgetfulness, it’s serious. They tell me I have about 10 years before I will lose all short-term memory. I will retain all long-term memories. So that post you make about me in 2006 is still going to be up there in my noggin.

I have previously shared this diagnosis with the mods. I asked them to keep this information confined to the mod lounge. Which they did and I appreciated their consideration. They encouraged me to share this information with the rest of the Planet. It’s time to come clean.

I also have CLL (Chronic Lymphatic Leukemia). Its only put me in the hospital once and it usually does not kill people these days.

Would not be a BRC post without bragging so…. Last 10 years of my career, I architected, designed, and implemented the first cloud at Bank of America, the largest private cloud in the world for the military and for IBM, the world’s largest serverless IT infrastructure services provider with thousands of enterprise customers, thousands of applications in more than 60 countries.

You cannot do that kind of work without a functioning short-term memory, so I have no choice but to retire.

I’m 65. I’m being forced to retire a little early but only losing a couple of years anyway. I’ll have a comfortable retirement alongside my wife of 34 years.

AMA

Congratulations on your retirement...and sorry for your health issues.

You know next time you are in the area, we are going to have to have lunch....maybe even get Will to join.

Take care of yourself...we need you around for several more Mahom's Super Bowl victories.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 07:57 AM

All kidding aside I'm truly sorry to hear this BRC. I know we're butted heads over the years but once we stopped engaging each other in DC I think we became civil.

If I didn't hate heat and humidity so much I'd be sending resumes to the Florida area.

cheersThanks! Well played :thumb:

wazu
04-15-2024, 08:00 AM
Really sorry to hear this, BRC, but thank you for sharing. Praying that you have an enjoyable post-retirement life. Keep posting and we'll promise to never "q" you.

Mosbonian
04-15-2024, 08:01 AM

cheers

The heat is nothing...you get used to it, except when the Chief's play the Jags in September and it feels like the face of the sun in the stadium.

Kman34
04-15-2024, 08:06 AM
Did you double post in case he forgot he read the first one?

Poor attempt at a joke..LMAO

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-15-2024, 08:09 AM
Congrats on your work accomplishments. Some pretty great things!. It's great you have your wife with you to help with the day to day memory issues, although my wife would have some fun with that as well. Take care.

PHOG
04-15-2024, 08:10 AM
Well, enjoy you're retirement..sorry for the health problems...traveling would/should be the doctors prognosis. Take care.

Marcellus
Sorry to hear about your health issues BRC, enjoy retirement as best you can.

The good news is you can make some really shitty decisions now and won't remember!

dirk digler
Sorry to hear that BRC and I hope they can find the root cause. Retirement is also good thing and you earned it.

seclark
04-15-2024, 08:11 AM
Congratulations on your retirement brc, and I’m so sorry about your health.
I know it’s a bitch to work all your life and get so close to retirement and then get sick.
Keep on keeping on. We have to play the hands we’re dealt.
sec

Wisconsin_Chief
04-15-2024, 08:16 AM
Sounds like you accomplished more in your last 10 years than most people do in a lifetime. The human brain is a weird thing, clearly you have a very powerful one, but it's starting to short circuit. So strange, wish we could understand it all better.

I'm sure you'll still find plenty of ways to enjoy retirement. Congrats, it was clearly well earned!

Dunerdr
04-15-2024, 08:16 AM
No, the wife's back in the day.:rolleyes:

Lucky man! Best of luck in retirement!

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-15-2024, 08:19 AM
Call Elon and ask for the neurolink dept.

neech
Congrats on retirement, I'm sorry you have these health issues to deal with.

Prayers that your life will be the best it can be in your retirement years.

Mephistopheles Janx
Did you consider going the Memento route with the tattoos?

https://highpriestessresurrected.wordpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/tumblr_l8dbt0vdcy1qzate4o1_500.png

---

Joke aside, holy fuck dude I'm sorry. Losing memories is a terrifying thought for me.

stumppy
04-15-2024, 08:22 AM
Yeah, I've traveled all over the world. My wife hasn't been anywhere outside this hemisphere. We are going to fix that.

Sorry to hear about the health problems, hopefully they won't keep you from enjoying your retirement.

One suggestion I have, after reading your posts for over 20 years, I'd be sure and provide a face-saving way for your wife to back out of traveling all over the world WITH YOU. It might make your marriage last a bit longer.
:D

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 08:23 AM
I actually do have a question, you mentioned you've had some high level IT jobs for the government that would require some background checks (I'd imagine) and you've had a couple mishaps in your youth.

How did you get past the litmus test on those?Oh yeah, everyone thought I'd be dead or in jail by 25.

I had a TS/SCI clearance for about 15 years. Worked for Homeland Security when it was first getting off the ground. CENTCOM, SOCOM, some other places I can't disclose for 75 years and the federal government.

They definitely were all up in my history and business. FBI goes out to your neighbors, my wife's work and ask questions like does he use drugs, fool around on his wife, hang with mafia etc. without telling them its a background check. Freaked out everyone. They know my media accounts. They knew I posted on here as BRC.

They know people have checkered pasts. They go all the way back to birth but focus on the last 10 years or so. You have to come clean with warts and all. They care but they don't really. What they care about is are you embarrassed about something. Keeping a secret? Cause then you can be compromised. Lot of people have affairs, they need to know if caught, will you come clean? I've taken probably a dozen lie detector tests.

I think that's why I shared more stuff than most people on here because the government already knew everything about me.

Whosurdaddy
04-15-2024, 08:24 AM
My dad is in his 70s and has CLL, it appears to be managable.

Otter
04-15-2024, 08:33 AM
Oh yeah, everyone thought I'd be dead or in jail by 25.

I had a TS/SCI clearance for about 15 years. Worked for Homeland Security when it was first getting off the ground. CENTCOM, SOCOM, some other places I can't disclose for 75 years and the federal government.

They definitely were all up in my history and business. FBI goes out to your neighbors, my wife's work and ask questions like does he use drugs, fool around on his wife, hang with mafia etc. without telling them its a background check. Freaked out everyone. They know my media accounts. They knew I posted on here as BRC.

They know people have checkered pasts. They go all the way back to birth but focus on the last 10 years or so. You have to come clean with warts and all. They care but they don't really. What they care about is are you embarrassed about something. Keeping a secret? Cause then you can be compromised. Lot of people have affairs, they need to know if caught, will you come clean? I've taken probably a dozen lie detector tests.

I think that's why I shared more stuff than most people on here because the government already knew everything about me.

That's pretty amazing. I did some IT work for the supreme court post 9/11 and the only thing on my record was an underage drinking citation from when I was 17 (10 years later) and I had to explain that about 5 times if front of as many people. I was waiting for an orifice check under a HD camera.

Well done, sir. Maybe you being in Florida you and Hog can hook up for some salt water feeshin' and a couple cold ones.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 08:33 AM
Sounds like you accomplished more in your last 10 years than most people do in a lifetime. The human brain is a weird thing, clearly you have a very powerful one, but it's starting to short circuit. So strange, wish we could understand it all better.

I'm sure you'll still find plenty of ways to enjoy retirement. Congrats, it was clearly well earned!
I grew up dirt poor in Springfield Missouri. I quit school the day I turned 16. Only have a GED. That's it. I do have 96 college credits but never bothered with getting a degree.

Graystoke
04-15-2024, 08:36 AM
Sorry to hear this BRC. Enjoy retirement and hopefully the final prognosis turns out positive.

duncan_idaho
04-15-2024, 08:38 AM
BRC, congrats on the retirement and enjoy your break!

I am sorry to hear about your other diagnoses. That's a tough hand to be dealt. Hang in there!

scho63
04-15-2024, 08:49 AM
I was just going to ask you a question but I forget. Fuck it, I'll be back later when I remember.

scho63
04-15-2024, 08:51 AM
I think I asked you a question but I forget to post it. I'll try to find it.

scho63
What did you say about retirement?

scho63
Happy Birthday!

Wisconsin_Chief
04-15-2024, 08:56 AM
I grew up dirt poor in Springfield Missouri. I quit school the day I turned 16. Only have a GED. That's it. I do have 96 college credits but never bothered with getting a degree.

Sounds like we had very similar upbringings, I was on my own at 17 and had to drop out as well. Did get my GED and graduated college eventually, just stuck in the rat race now, though. How you perform in school has very little to do with how intelligent you are, and I learn that more every single day working with nothing but educated fools. You are obviously a prime example of that as well.

BigRichard
04-15-2024, 08:59 AM
Will Adam Sandler now bang you?

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 09:00 AM
Happy Birthday!Well played sir, well played. :clap:

BWillie
04-15-2024, 09:00 AM
Have you seen momento?

Buehler445
04-15-2024, 09:01 AM
Hey bud, sorry to hear about the memory loss.

My recommendation is keep pushing doctors. Go see anyone that will see you and run all the test they'll let you. They may find something.

ThrobProng
04-15-2024, 09:06 AM

My recommendation is keep pushing doctors. Go see anyone that will see you and run all the test they'll let you. They may find something.

I agree with this 100%.

It's odd that the doctors haven't come up with a diagnosis, but somehow know you'll lose all short-term memory in about 10 years while retaining your long-term memories. I'm all about doctors and medical science, but second and third opinions are always a good idea.

Mr. Kotter
04-15-2024, 09:15 AM
Sorry to hear about your condition, man. Getting older can be challenging, to be sure. However, enjoy your retirement…you’ve earned it. Continue to pursue options on the healthcare side; hopefully, they can make it manageable for you. Best wishes, sir.

RedinTexas
04-15-2024, 09:19 AM
Will Adam Sandler now bang you?

All the best of luck to you BRC. BigRichard beat me to it, but I was going to suggest you contact Adam Sandler to see if they'll do a sequel. Memorizing your lines might be a challenge though.

displacedinMN
04-15-2024, 09:21 AM
So much reading this.

Hope for the best for you. Enjoy retirement

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 09:23 AM
Sounds like we had very similar upbringings, I was on my own at 17 and had to drop out as well. Did get my GED and graduated college eventually, just stuck in the rat race now, though. How you perform in school has very little to do with how intelligent you are, and I learn that more every single day working with nothing but educated fools. You are obviously a prime example of that as well.I was working as a Respiratory Therapist for 10 years in an inner city Level 1 teaching hospital. Started to bring some of that home with me. The hospital was switching over from paper records to electronic records. I was helping people use the computers and app. I didn't own a computer at the time. People were telling me this computer thing was going to be a big deal, you should get into that.

Took some basic server/infrastructure classes but basically taught myself. I worked 12 hours a day being a Respiratory Therapist. Went to night classes. Got home at 10:00pm or so. Tuck the kid and wife into bed. The stayed up 10pm -2am building and breaking stuff learning. Get up at 6:00 am and do the whole day again. That went on for 2 years.

After a year or so doing desktop/call center stuff, I got my break when Sprint hired me and I was off and running.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 09:25 AM

My recommendation is keep pushing doctors. Go see anyone that will see you and run all the test they'll let you. They may find something.I've got my place in line for the Mayo clinic workup. Told them I'd go to any location in the USA that has an opening.

irafreak
04-15-2024, 09:26 AM
Sorry to hear this. Kind of similar to alzheimers which runs in my family. What are you gonna do when all these stupid apps make you two factor authenticate and you have to remember the 6 digit number? I hate that shit.

displacedinMN
04-15-2024, 09:26 AM
I've got my place in line for the Mayo clinic workup. Told them I'd go to any location in the USA that has an opening.
They know what the hell they are doing.

VAChief
04-15-2024, 09:28 AM

Sorry to hear about your health BRC. I'm going to probably retire in August due to health reasons as well (Stage 4 Prostate).

I grew up in Springfield too, maybe the same year or a year behind you. Went to KHS, played baseball there, before JUCO, arm difficulties and then back to SMS.

siberian khatru
04-15-2024, 09:29 AM
Bumped for BRC's benefit

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 09:32 AM
Bumped for BRC's benefitWell played sir!

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 09:36 AM
Sorry to hear this. Kind of similar to alzheimers which runs in my family. What are you gonna do when all these stupid apps make you two factor authenticate and you have to remember the 6 digit number? I hate that shit.Not an issue yet but I am training the wife to take over the financials for us, just to be sure I dont send Bearcat $1000 accidently.

scho63
04-15-2024, 09:39 AM
BRC's wife: "Hey, I told you yesterday that hole is a no-go!"

BRC: "No you didn't"

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 09:43 AM
Sorry to hear about your health BRC. I'm going to probably retire in August due to health reasons as well (Stage 4 Prostate).

I grew up in Springfield too, maybe the same year or a year behind you. Went to KHS, played baseball there, before JUCO, arm difficulties and then back to SMS.Sorry about the diagnosis.

I went to Hillcrest/Glendale so I was a north sider and a south sider. Spent a year at SMS doing prep work for the residency as a Registered Respiratory Therapist.

Straight, No Chaser
04-15-2024, 09:59 AM
I've got my place in line for the Mayo clinic workup. Told them I'd go to any location in the USA that has an opening.

This can be frustrating... perhaps you'll get Scottsdale :thumb:

Hope they can figure it out. Sounds like dementia.

VAChief
04-15-2024, 10:01 AM
Sorry about the diagnosis.

I went to Hillcrest/Glendale so I was a north sider and a south sider. Spent a year at SMS doing prep work for the residency as a Registered Respiratory Therapist.

I grew up near Seminole on Maryland before we moved out South. I had mostly good memories there, but left to live in KC for 11 years after college then Virginia the last roughly 30 years.

Hang in there bud!

HonestChieffan
04-15-2024, 10:01 AM
Enjoy the retirement. Hopefullly pharma and med science can find a treatment

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 10:09 AM
I grew up near Seminole on Maryland before we moved out South. I had mostly good memories there, but left to live in KC for 11 years after college then Virginia the last roughly 30 years.

Hang in there bud!I left Springfield when I turned 18 and traveled the world until about 25 years old. Go married and moved to KC for the duration until the taking the job at CENTCOM in Florida.

wazu
04-15-2024, 10:12 AM
BRC's wife: "Hey, I told you yesterday that hole is a no-go!"

BRC: "No you didn't"

Give it a rest, dude.

Dante84
04-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Sorry to hear about this, BRC, but glad you're able to retire despite the terms.

I'm curious to know, if you're open to sharing: When did you realize you might have problem? Was it pointed out to you, or did you yourself recognize something wasn't right? Has it escalated? What's the frequency you encounter issues?

LoneWolf
04-15-2024, 10:35 AM
Congratulations on your retirement. It sucks that it is being forced on you. I've flipped you shit on here on a pretty regular basis, but nobody wants to see someone else be forced into retirement due to failing health. I hope you have a blast during retirement and your short term memory loss only makes you forget the bad things.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 10:38 AM
Sorry to hear about this, BRC, but glad you're able to retire despite the terms.

I'm curious to know, if you're open to sharing: When did you realize you might have problem?About 1 1/2 years ago. Started missing stuff at work I never missed before. Not a big deal but was new. Thought it was me, getting older.
Has it escalated? What's the frequency you encounter issues?yes, really escalated in the last few months. Went from forgetting to turn off a faucet, forget to do a to do thing to forgetting to pay a bill, posting stuff on social media and forgetting about it, then reposting. Planning stuff and forgetting about it. Talking about stuff as if its new but was already discussed and decided. Forgetting basic I.T. stuff.

Buehler445
04-15-2024, 11:16 AM
Not an issue yet but I am training the wife to take over the financials for us, just to be sure I dont send Bearcat $1000 accidently.

"accidentally"

Like the 4,000 Venmo requests he "accidentally" sent to you?

:D

Glad you're in good humor. Best of luck sir. My dumbass mind is the only part of my shit body that isn't broken down yet. I do not envy your position.

jdubya
04-15-2024, 11:20 AM
I had to retire for health reason too. Sucked as I wasn't ready. Took a long while to accept it. Good luck!!!

ThrobProng
04-15-2024, 11:30 AM
About 1 1/2 years ago. Started missing stuff at work I never missed before. Not a big deal but was new. Thought it was me, getting older.
yes, really escalated in the last few months. Went from forgetting to turn off a faucet, forget to do a to do thing to forgetting to pay a bill, posting stuff on social media and forgetting about it, then reposting. Planning stuff and forgetting about it. Talking about stuff as if its new but was already discussed and decided. Forgetting basic I.T. stuff.

Forgive my complete ignorance on the topic, but does being aware of your condition help you avoid some of the memory issues, or does it make no difference?

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-15-2024, 11:31 AM
Give it a rest, dude.

Shuddap, it was funny

dirk digler
04-15-2024, 11:35 AM
About 1 1/2 years ago. Started missing stuff at work I never missed before. Not a big deal but was new. Thought it was me, getting older.
yes, really escalated in the last few months. Went from forgetting to turn off a faucet, forget to do a to do thing to forgetting to pay a bill, posting stuff on social media and forgetting about it, then reposting. Planning stuff and forgetting about it. Talking about stuff as if its new but was already discussed and decided. Forgetting basic I.T. stuff.

Long covid?

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 12:04 PM
Long covid?Nope, never got it.

Rain Man
04-15-2024, 12:06 PM
I'm trying to figure out if we have an epidemic or if short-term memory issues are common at a certain age but I've never been in the peer group to hear about it. But it seems like a lot of my peers in their 60s talk about having short-term memory issues (diagnosed or undiagnosed).

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 12:07 PM
Forgive my complete ignorance on the topic, but does being aware of your condition help you avoid some of the memory issues, or does it make no difference?yes, it does make a difference. You write stuff down, keep track of stuff.

ThaVirus
04-15-2024, 12:11 PM
Sorry to hear you’ve been thrown a bit of a curveball.

Buuuuut retiring at 65 isn’t a huge issue. Based on what you mention here, you’ve seemed to enjoy your career and shouldn’t struggle financially. Plus you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

Enjoy it, bud. Sounds like you’ve earned it.

ThrobProng
04-15-2024, 12:13 PM
I'm trying to figure out if we have an epidemic or if short-term memory issues are common at a certain age but I've never been in the peer group to hear about it. But it seems like a lot of my peers in their 60s talk about having short-term memory issues (diagnosed or undiagnosed).

I think they're common, but now there are just so many more senior citizens out there. I remember hearing C.R.S. (can't remember shit) jokes from old people, even when I was a kid.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-15-2024, 12:16 PM
Luckily we have Patrick Mahomes winning us a SB every year so we don't have to keep remembering shit

Mr. Plow
04-15-2024, 12:16 PM
Sucks that you are being forced into it, but I hope you enjoy retirement. Now is the time to enjoy all those things you worked hard for. Good luck to you!

Wisconsin_Chief
04-15-2024, 12:28 PM
I was working as a Respiratory Therapist for 10 years in an inner city Level 1 teaching hospital. Started to bring some of that home with me. The hospital was switching over from paper records to electronic records. I was helping people use the computers and app. I didn't own a computer at the time. People were telling me this computer thing was going to be a big deal, you should get into that.

Took some basic server/infrastructure classes but basically taught myself. I worked 12 hours a day being a Respiratory Therapist. Went to night classes. Got home at 10:00pm or so. Tuck the kid and wife into bed. The stayed up 10pm -2am building and breaking stuff learning. Get up at 6:00 am and do the whole day again. That went on for 2 years.

After a year or so doing desktop/call center stuff, I got my break when Sprint hired me and I was off and running.

What an amazing story, and I truly mean that. You are one of the last of a dying breed, sir.

I hope your doctors can find a way to help with your condition, because it sounds like you truly earned a great retirement. Either way, enjoy as much as you can and congrats on all your amazing accomplishments.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear you’ve been thrown a bit of a curveball.

Buuuuut retiring at 65 isn’t a huge issue. Based on what you mention here, you’ve seemed to enjoy your career and shouldn’t struggle financially. Plus you live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.

Enjoy it, bud. Sounds like you’ve earned it.Yeah, its not like this shit hit me at 40. So at least it waited till I was close to retirement anyway. I've been reading about retirement advice lately. Says you need $1 million in cash on hand. I ain't got that kind of cash but I'll not be eating cat food anytime soon either.:rolleyes:

Rain Man
04-15-2024, 12:40 PM
Yeah, its not like this shit hit me at 40. So at least it waited till I was close to retirement anyway. I've been reading about retirement advice lately. Says you need $1 million in cash on hand. I ain't got that kind of cash but I'll not be eating cat food anytime soon either.:rolleyes:

Just in case, though, it's worth the extra money to buy the high-end cat food.

WhawhaWhat
04-15-2024, 01:01 PM
Who won the Super Bowl last year?
Who won the Super Bowl this year?

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 01:08 PM
Sucks that you are being forced into it, but I hope you enjoy retirement. Now is the time to enjoy all those things you worked hard for. Good luck to you!Thanks man :thumb:

DaKCMan AP
04-15-2024, 01:14 PM
Sorry to hear, BRC. The best to you, your wife, and your son. Hope to run into you again one of these days.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 01:15 PM
Just in case, though, it's worth the extra money to buy the high-end cat food.Thinking ahead. :thumb:

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 01:21 PM
Sorry to hear, BRC. The best to you, your wife, and your son. Hope to run into you again one of these days.I've got someone to take over the original chapter that can handle 300 on game days. Set up a leadership crew to run things at the national level. Looks like AK/AS will go on past my involvement.

Mr. Plow
04-15-2024, 01:36 PM
Thanks man :thumb:

If you ever need to sell your water front property on the cheap, let me know. :p:p

Rausch
04-15-2024, 01:37 PM
Luckily we have Patrick Mahomes winning us a SB every year so we don't have to keep remembering shit

You can eventually enjoy the feeling of KC winning he SB over and over and over.

You might want to watch "Momento" and consider getting a few tatoos like Rashee Rice...

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 01:42 PM
If you ever need to sell your water front property on the cheap, let me know. :p:pThe way house prices have skyrocketed in this market, I couldn't even buy my own house these days. Luckily I bought at the bottom of the market and got a 2.5% interest rate.

stevieray
04-15-2024, 01:47 PM
Sorry, brother.

Enjoy the fruits of your labor.

Start documenting, not only for you, but for your family, too.

teedubya
04-15-2024, 01:54 PM
Is the butt in your avi yours?

No, it's a photoshop job by me, years ago... that BRC stole. LOL.

Get better BRC.

KCJake
04-15-2024, 01:59 PM
No, the wife's back in the day.:rolleyes:

Well, you've got that going for ya.

Good luck to you. In all honesty

Mosbonian
04-15-2024, 02:15 PM

I think I figured out why you and I got along so well....besides living in FL and being Chiefs fans.

I grew up really, really dirt poor. I aspired making it to dirt poor. For those of you who know the KC area well I grew up in Mosby Mo....a town that no longer officially exists.

I did graduate HS....and like you have a number of college credits that got me close to my degree but I was too busy with my career to complete it...and honestly in my profession I needed experience more than college.

The difference we have is that I have never had all the government experience you had....probably because I was more Billy Carter than Jimmy Carter.

Rausch
04-15-2024, 02:17 PM
I think I figured out why you and I got along so well....besides living in FL and being Chiefs fans.

I grew up really, really dirt poor. I aspired making it to dirt poor. For those of you who know the KC area well I grew up in Mosby Mo....a town that no longer officially exists.

I did graduate HS....and like you have a number of college credits that got me close to my degree but I was too busy with my career to complete it...and honestly in my profession I needed experience more than college.

The difference we have is that I have never had all the government experience you had....probably because I was more Billy Carter than Jimmy Carter.

That sounds familiar...

Mosbonian
04-15-2024, 02:27 PM

Some memory loss occurs in us all....differing issues will cause a person to lose some of your mental faculties. After my heart attack part of my post malady therapy was related to ensuring my memory capabilities. The therapist gave it a name....but I can't recall what she labeled it (and I mean that seriously)

Mosbonian
04-15-2024, 02:33 PM
Yeah, its not like this shit hit me at 40. So at least it waited till I was close to retirement anyway. I've been reading about retirement advice lately. Says you need $1 million in cash on hand. I ain't got that kind of cash but I'll not be eating cat food anytime soon either.:rolleyes:

Every time I hear or read one of those articles all I can think is that the person giving the advice probably lives in the most expensive city in the world or is an investment guy who wants your money so he can make more for himself.

I don't have that either....but my wife and I will live well within our means comfortably.

WilliamTheIrish
04-15-2024, 02:38 PM
BRC,
You’ve earned the time to relax. Definitely follow Hog’s suggestion and keep that journal. I know one person close to me with a less severe memory issue, but similar to yours.

The journal helps immensely.

Also, gators are not pets. (Will repeat this tomorrow)

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 02:41 PM

The difference we have is that I have never had all the government experience you had....probably because I was more Billy Carter than Jimmy Carter.I was too. Reminder, I was never in the military....Quick story.....

I transferred from CENTCOM to SOCOM. Wellll they decided I was more needed there. They didn't turn in the SCI paperwork. I think you had to renew that every 3 months? I'm looking at all these big shot Admiral, General emails trying to find out why they cant send to the 5 eyes(USA, Canada, Brittan, Australia and New Zealand).

I find the issue and tell the suit whats up. He says good work and then sees my SCI has expired. He goes nuts why are you looking at these generals emails with only a TS? There are several more of these suits in the room now. I got my Billy Carter face on and was like, uhh cause they escalated and assigned me that issue. They got my SCI the next day.

Mosbonian
04-15-2024, 02:42 PM
Also, gators are not pets. (Will repeat this tomorrow)

Yeah...here in Florida that one is a "must remember ".

My problem is my wife keeps encouraging me to walk along the edge of the retention pond across the street from our house. She keeps saying the gator in that pond is tame.

Mosbonian
04-15-2024, 02:46 PM
I was too. Reminder, I was never in the military....Quick story.....

I transferred from CENTCOM to SOCOM. Wellll they decided I was more needed there. They didn't turn in the SCI paperwork. I think you had to renew that every 3 months? I'm looking at all these big shot Admiral, General emails trying to find out why they cant send to the 5 eyes(USA, Canada, Brittan, Australia and New Zealand).

I find the issue and tell the suit whats up. He says good work and then sees my SCI has expired. He goes nuts why are you looking at these generals emails with only a TS? I got my Billy Carter face on and was like, uhh cause they escalated and assigned me that issue. They got my SCI the next day.

Holy crap....

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 02:52 PM
Every time I hear or read one of those articles all I can think is that the person giving the advice probably lives in the most expensive city in the world or is an investment guy who wants your money so he can make more for himself.

I don't have that either....but my wife and I will live well within our means comfortably.Yep. Coming from where we began in life, we are finishing with roofs over our head, plenty of food and drink and a little spending money. Thats a success.:thumb:

Mosbonian
04-15-2024, 03:00 PM
Yep. Coming from where we began in life, we are finishing with roofs over our head, plenty of food and drink and a little spending money. Thats a success.:thumb:

Damn straight! Priorities.....

Pasta Little Brioni
04-15-2024, 03:37 PM
Hopefully you remember the Mahomes years, bud!

BIG_DADDY
04-15-2024, 03:43 PM
Sorry to hear your health issues. Best of luck with that. My one suggestion would be to never quit looking for answers and look in areas you wouldn’t usually. You have the time now.. like 5 years back I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and was in unbelievable pain. After exhausting all Western and Eastern medicine I found answers with bio hackers and arthritis forums.

BIG_DADDY
04-15-2024, 03:45 PM
Oh and congratulations on a long term relationship these days. Lil momma and I have been together for 30. Having a great family makes this ride much better.

'Hamas' Jenkins
04-15-2024, 04:01 PM
You've accomplished a great deal and should be immensely proud of that. I am terribly sorry that your disease is taking part of your memory from you.

At least you'll have memories of when the Cardinals were actually a competent organization.

BryanBusby
04-15-2024, 04:17 PM
At least you'll have memories of when the Cardinals were actually a competent organization.
And that's so long ago hey long-term memories!

ptlyon
04-15-2024, 04:24 PM
Sorry to hear about your issues BRC. While only (somewhat) temporary, I know what you're going through.

I went in for routine sinus surgery to remove polyps. This was about my 5th go though. Surgery on Friday, wham bam back to work on Monday. So routine my dad would drop me off and pick me up.

The last one, they wheeled me out to his car and I got in. He asked "What the hell happened?". I'm like, what?

He said "It's Saturday. They kept you overnight." I'm like, nahhhh.

Long story short, my heart stopped twice during the procedure. I lost oxygen to my brain.

I get home, can't remember shit. I would ask the GF 3 times in 5 minutes what she wanted for dinner.

It all came back but it was a scary time. I still forget shit. Maybe that's cuz I'm older now. But know what it feels like. God speed brother.

Rain Man
04-15-2024, 04:30 PM
Sorry to hear about your issues BRC. While only (somewhat) temporary, I know what you're going through.

I went in for routine sinus surgery to remove polyps. This was about my 5th go though. Surgery on Friday, wham bam back to work on Monday. So routine my dad would drop me off and pick me up.

The last one, they wheeled me out to his car and I got in. He asked "What the hell happened?". I'm like, what?

Long story short, my heart stopped twice during the procedure. I lost oxygen to my brain.

I get home, can't remember shit. I would ask the GF 3 times in 5 minutes what she wanted for dinner.

It all came back but it was a scary time. I still forget shit. Maybe that's cuz I'm older now. But know what it feels like. God speed brother.

Man, don't do that. Keep your heart beating. That's Surgery Patient 101.

Glad you're okay.

scho63
04-15-2024, 04:34 PM
What is the first hobby you want to do or new place you want to travel to?

ChiliConCarnage
04-15-2024, 05:13 PM
That's sort of scary. Sorry for the troubles. On the other hand, retirement sounds pretty nice.

Hit the beach and have a few drinks!

GloryDayz
04-15-2024, 05:19 PM
Sorry to hear it. Enjoy your post-IT retirement, trust me it's awesome. As a CCIE who had a great career moving through the ranks I can tell you that when you're done, you're done.

Again, just sit back and enjoy coasting through the years that many many many years of hard work will provide. Travel your ass off, see the world, and let the current set it IT professionals deal with what is always a crisis of some sort.

HemiEd
04-15-2024, 05:41 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem BRC and wish all the best on your retirement.

Too bad we were not able to get together that time with Frazod and Nzoner downtown Chicago. Nzoner and I had a blast that night and I had to take a $90 cab ride to get home after getting lost on the train. ROFL

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 05:44 PM
Hopefully you remember the Mahomes years, bud!they have successfully made it to long term memory.

Bowser
04-15-2024, 05:50 PM
Sorry to hear the choice of retirement wasn't totally your call, but that just opens the door for all the stuff you've wanted to do and haven't had the chance/time to do it.

You're on "you" time now. Go exploit it.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 05:53 PM
BRC,
You’ve earned the time to relax. Definitely follow Hog’s suggestion and keep that journal. I know one person close to me with a less severe memory issue, but similar to yours.

The journal helps immensely.

Also, gators are not pets. (Will repeat this tomorrow)depends on the era. LMAO

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 05:59 PM
You've accomplished a great deal and should be immensely proud of that. I am terribly sorry that your disease is taking part of your memory from you.

At least you'll have memories of when the Cardinals were actually a competent organization.yeah, I got to see my team win a WS in person. That’s all there. But, too much of the Cardinals of late is being retained by me. Why can’t I forget those crappy teams?

mlyonsd
04-15-2024, 06:02 PM
Best of luck to you BRC. Not the circumstances you were hoping for but hopefully the docs can figure something out. Have fun, do what makes you happy, and know from this thread a lot of people care.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 06:03 PM

It all came back but it was a scary time. I still forget shit. Maybe that's cuz I'm older now. But know what it feels like. God speed brother.Yikes!

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 06:09 PM
What is the first hobby you want to do or new place you want to travel to?I don’t know? Never been a big hobby guy. Traveled all over the world so I’ll be happy going wherever the love of my life wants to go.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 06:14 PM
Sorry to hear it. Enjoy your post-IT retirement, trust me it's awesome. As a CCIE who had a great career moving through the ranks I can tell you that when you're done, you're done.

Again, just sit back and enjoy coasting through the years that many many many years of hard work will provide. Travel your ass off, see the world, and let the current set it IT professionals deal with what is always a crisis of some sort.yeah I.T. moves fast. I’ve probably aged out already. :D

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 06:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your problem BRC and wish all the best on your retirement.

Too bad we were not able to get together that time with Frazod and Nzoner downtown Chicago. Nzoner and I had a blast that night and I had to take a $90 cab ride to get home after getting lost on the train. ROFLthat was a fun trip.

booger
04-15-2024, 07:05 PM
Sorry to hear this man. My mom has some auto immune issues she’s had for 40 years or so. Her cognitive abilities have declined. Some because of side effects of long term use of medication for those illnesses. Otherwise she’s just a few years older than you. Sounds like you have got good Drs and you are looking into more options. Vitamins and supplements is something some believe in. Some don’t. I started following a couple of YouTube quacks. Both are chiropractors I believe but I pick up things that will help me eat better or vitamins to try and sample with my mom.

Dr Eric Berg
https://youtube.com/@Drberg?si=5igFeCYepaSsAU8v

Dr Alan Mandell
https://youtube.com/@motivationaldoc?si=m6QtG8OPgQ7qJMj5

For example one thing I did was having her eat blueberries daily or every other day at least. And it helps. It’s not a miracle cure but finding if you’re deficient in vitamins or minerals or nutrients I think chipping away at those things is helpful. It will also give you something to do and research on different ways other than your Dr how you might be able to help you. There’s other channels on there those just happen to be the ones I find most helpful. Tons of older videos with both going back 5+ years. Have the wife watch some or find out others.

Just a resource that’s helped me bro. Hopefully you find them and/or different ones that are beneficial for you :thumb:

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 07:42 PM
Sorry to hear this man. My mom has some auto immune issues she’s had for 40 years or so. Her cognitive abilities have declined. Some because of side effects of long term use of medication for those illnesses. Otherwise she’s just a few years older than you. Sounds like you have got good Drs and you are looking into more options. Vitamins and supplements is something some believe in. Some don’t. I started following a couple of YouTube quacks. Both are chiropractors I believe but I pick up things that will help me eat better or vitamins to try and sample with my mom.

Dr Eric Berg
https://youtube.com/@Drberg?si=5igFeCYepaSsAU8v

Dr Alan Mandell
https://youtube.com/@motivationaldoc?si=m6QtG8OPgQ7qJMj5

For example one thing I did was having her eat blueberries daily or every other day at least. And it helps. It’s not a miracle cure but finding if you’re deficient in vitamins or minerals or nutrients I think chipping away at those things is helpful. It will also give you something to do and research on different ways other than your Dr how you might be able to help you. There’s other channels on there those just happen to be the ones I find most helpful. Tons of older videos with both going back 5+ years. Have the wife watch some or find out others.

Just a resource that’s helped me bro. Hopefully you find them and/or different ones that are beneficial for you :thumb:thanks for the info!

booger
04-15-2024, 07:49 PM
thanks for the info!

Your welcome :thumb:

RunKC
04-15-2024, 07:52 PM
Best wishes BRC. Enjoy life my friend

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 09:55 PM
Best wishes BRC. Enjoy life my friend

Thanks man.

BigRedChief
04-15-2024, 10:03 PM
Sorry to hear your health issues. Best of luck with that. My one suggestion would be to never quit looking for answers and look in areas you wouldn’t usually. You have the time now.. like 5 years back I was diagnosed with Rheumatoid arthritis and was in unbelievable pain. After exhausting all Western and Eastern medicine I found answers with bio hackers and arthritis forums.with my job or I guess now, my former job, I had to always be doing research for new ways to do things. A new wrinkle in an established procedure.

Oh and congratulations on a long term relationship these days. Lil momma and I have been together for 30. Having a great family makes this ride much better.yeah, we are still in love as much as we were when we first met. As anyone on here will tell you that have met her, I married way about my weight class.

BigRedChief
04-16-2024, 07:45 AM
That's sort of scary. Sorry for the troubles. On the other hand, retirement sounds pretty nice.

Hit the beach and have a few drinks!Yeah, the unknown is the worst part. But, I've had a good life. From how my life started to being able to live the life I wanted alongside the love of my life, I'd hope everyone gets to experience that feeling.

Mosbonian
04-16-2024, 10:34 AM
yeah, we are still in love as much as we were when we first met. As anyone on here will tell you that have met her, I married way about my weight class.

Know that feeling my friend...married way above my weight class too.

Congrats on your time together.

ModSocks
04-16-2024, 12:35 PM
married way above my weight class too.

Into the big girls, eh? NTTAWWT.

Mosbonian
04-16-2024, 01:28 PM
Into the big girls, eh? NTTAWWT.

I saw what you did there....LMAO

Luckily for me, my wife is petite and looks much younger than her real age.

Meatloaf
04-16-2024, 01:49 PM
Congrats on a great career! Sorry to hear about your health issues, but glad to hear it's kinda long term stuff. Enjoy retirement; after you get settled with it, you'll never look back!

Lzen
04-16-2024, 01:55 PM
Dang BRC, sorry to hear that. Getting old sucks. I hope it doesn't make you life too difficult. Good luck and God bless, brother.

ptlyon
04-16-2024, 02:05 PM

We know!

Stewie
04-16-2024, 02:10 PM
Good luck in your retirement.

Keep exercising... both physically and mentally.

Monty
04-16-2024, 02:28 PM

I hate to hear this, but it's ok to shut things down, you've done plenty. It's time to enjoy yourself. :toast:

Also, can't wait to share stories once my journey is finished. :D #todolist

Mosbonian
04-16-2024, 02:58 PM
I hate to hear this, but it's ok to shut things down, you've done plenty. It's time to enjoy yourself. :toast:

Also, can't wait to share stories once my journey is finished. :D #todolist

We have a Retirement thread that we started since so many of us are getting to the stage where we are either retiring or near the end of the work life.

Plus we have it there to share stories of retiring and the pitfalls to watch out for.

PunkinDrublic
04-16-2024, 03:09 PM
Look at the bright side, if you bring home some fresh poon, you have a built in excuse for never calling her back the next day and not knowing her name!

ThrobProng
04-16-2024, 03:21 PM
Look at the bright side, if you bring home some fresh poon, you have a built in excuse for never calling her back the next day and not knowing her name!

With a little luck, you can have fresh poon every day without cheating!

Silver linings, right?

BigRedChief
04-16-2024, 05:47 PM

Also, can't wait to share stories once my journey is finished. :D #todolistyeah too bad my skill set didn’t match your companies needs at the time. I think we could have worked together and kicked some ass.

BigRedChief
04-16-2024, 05:51 PM

I can’t handle petite. I could trip and fall on a petite women and she’s in an ambulance with cracked ribs or something. Hurts for weeks. Pissed at me. :rolleyes:

AussieChiefsFan
04-16-2024, 06:16 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, but congrats on your retirement. Sounds like you've definitely earned it.

Will you still be involved with the Chiefs chapter events?

BigRedChief
04-16-2024, 07:30 PM
I'm sorry to hear that, but congrats on your retirement. Sounds like you've definitely earned it.

Will you still be involved with the Chiefs chapter events?yeah, I’m still involved but as a “founder”. I’ve set up a leadership crew to run things at the national level and internationally. We are making a big push into England and Europe next year.

I got this thing going but that crew knows way more than I ever did. Big ideas and skills to pull it off. It’s in good hands. I’ll just be one of the ones partying on game day.

TripleThreat
04-17-2024, 12:56 AM
I don’t know if I’d rather have short term or memory term loss. You now can’t make any new memories, and anyone you meet would have to always be reintroduced and explained to you.

scho63
04-17-2024, 05:11 AM
Have you purchased your knee high white socks and sandals yet?

Mosbonian
04-17-2024, 05:19 AM
Have you purchased your knee high white socks and sandals yet?

Believe it or not....I got a pair of plaid shorts, white Sox and sandals as a gag gift at my retirement party. It also came with some other gag gifts meant to remind me I was an old geezer now.

All in fun...and all funny.😁

Pinchshot
04-17-2024, 07:10 AM
Wow a retirement party! I haven't heard of those in 20 years. Especially for those of us in IT.

Good for you.

Mosbonian
04-17-2024, 07:19 AM
Wow a retirement party! I haven't heard of those in 20 years. Especially for those of us in IT.

Good for you.

Finance guy here....we always have retirement parties. :)

BigRedChief
04-17-2024, 07:24 AM

Good for you.I've never saw, heard of or attended a retirement party for an I.T. guy. Military retirements, sure. I got invited to a military veteran retirement party after work on a Friday. I was the only "civilian" invited, Holy shit those guys can drink.

Shots every time I turned around. Was a fantastic evening. Heard all kinds of shit your pants battles and coming out okay stories. I'll be forever grateful that I was able to hang with some badass heroes. If only for a few hours in a social event.

Marco Polo
04-17-2024, 08:14 AM
Sorry to hear that. I hope you are able to enjoy retirement, all things considered.

BigRedChief
04-17-2024, 09:00 AM
Have you purchased your knee high white socks and sandals yet?nah, this is Florida. It’s going to be hot as fuck down here soon. Sandals every day but no socks.

BigRedChief
04-18-2024, 09:46 AM
Dang BRC, sorry to hear that. Getting old sucks. I hope it doesn't make you life too difficult. Good luck and God bless, brother.Thanks, hope all is well with you and the family.

morphius
04-18-2024, 01:28 PM
Sorry to hear this man. Hope you figure out something that helps you out, sounds like it will be a struggle for sure.

BigRedChief
04-20-2024, 08:31 AM
Sorry to hear this man. Hope you figure out something that helps you out, sounds like it will be a struggle for sure.Its at this point just some forgetfulness, Left some water running, forget to do a task etc. But, I know its not the routine shit we forget all the time. I have good healthcare so if someone can find out how to stop the loss or root cause, I'll be able to find them.

BlackHelicopters
04-20-2024, 08:34 AM
Hope something comes along soon that helps. Sorry to hear about this for you and your Family. Praying for you.

Iowanian
04-20-2024, 04:37 PM
How many times have you been in trouble at home for forgetting to close your xtube browser?

Rainbarrel
04-20-2024, 05:07 PM
Is Nickelback really country? You forgot they exist? Sorry, there is a good side to this though

MeaTy The Pimp
04-20-2024, 05:21 PM
I have never really had any interactions with you good or bad. That being said, Sorry you are going through that. I hope you can fully enjoy your retirement anyway.

BigRichard
04-20-2024, 05:43 PM
How long before we should expect a duplicate thread made by you?

BigRedChief
04-20-2024, 08:39 PM
How many times have you been in trouble at home for forgetting to close your xtube browser?I design clouds but I can’t close a browser? Well crap, maybe she can watch and learn then?

How long before we should expect a duplicate thread made by you?over/Under?

BigRedChief
04-21-2024, 01:54 AM
I have never really had any interactions with you good or bad. That being said, Sorry you are going through that. I hope you can fully enjoy your retirement anyway.since 2003? That’s weird. I don’t remember anything either. But anyway, thanks for the kind words. :thumb:

MeaTy The Pimp
04-21-2024, 09:04 AM
since 2003? That’s weird. I don’t remember anything either. But anyway, thanks for the kind words. :thumb:

I don't post much either. Most of the time, if I have something to say or contribute to a discussion, someone has already said it, and I don't like saying the same shit over and over. (...because you know the 'Repost Police' will pipe up)

BryanBusby
04-21-2024, 09:36 AM

Good for you.

That's because the other IT guys are busy removing all of their co-workers access while saying fuck me at least 47 times to the new, increased workload :|

BigRedChief
04-21-2024, 01:26 PM
That's because the other IT guys are busy removing all of their co-workers access while saying **** me at least 47 times to the new, increased workload :|Yeah last time I had one was in 2010 as a contractor leaving the Federal government to go work for the military in Tampa. They told me they had never had a going away party for a contractor.

There are 3 locations in the USA where every damn thing associated with the federal government is stored. The applications are hosted and the SAN/SQL storage is.

One is in KC. I modernized the shit out of that place. Virtualized the largest SAN in the world(at the time). Virtualized a huge number of IBM racks of servers and storage. All firsts for the government.

Wait response time fir clients went down 90%. Cooling costs went down 325% and Licensing for all those servers I made obsolete, 100%. They'd better thrown me a going away party especially since I was moving out of the state.

GloryDayz
04-21-2024, 06:42 PM
I've seen a few retirement parties in IT, we had a virtual one for myself ~6 months ago, but with the virtual nature of our work it's become more rare. It's not a bad thing IMO, I was 100% telework for many many years before it became popular across the larger industry. The engineers who worked under me in my organization were spread all over the country and globe, so office space was pretty-much a waste of space since our recurring meetings were 99% virtual, and over time we were able to cut travel down to crisis-only situations. I enjoyed my virtual during work party, and know my family and dogs really benefitted from me being home unless I needed to travel.

BigRedChief
04-21-2024, 07:09 PM
I've seen a few retirement parties in IT, we had a virtual one for myself ~6 months ago, but with the virtual nature of our work it's become more rare. It's not a bad thing IMO, I was 100% telework for many many years before it became popular across the larger industry. The engineers who worked under me in my organization were spread all over the country and globe, so office space was pretty-much a waste of space since our recurring meetings were 99% virtual, and over time we were able to cut travel down to crisis-only situations. I enjoyed my virtual during work party, and know my family and dogs really benefitted from me being home unless I needed to travel.I worked remotely from 2013 when I finished working for the military. I was tired as fuck with spending 80 minute commute back and forth. Another 30 minutes getting in and out of security.

GloryDayz
04-21-2024, 10:08 PM
I worked remotely from 2013 when I finished working for the military. I was tired as fuck with spending 80 minute commute back and forth. Another 30 minutes getting in and out of security.

That's why I'm 100000000000000% down with the movement that is "Telework" if your job allows it. Lots of luddites disagree, but FUCK IT people going into the office, it's just not needed.

BigRedChief
04-23-2024, 07:48 AM
That's why I'm 100000000000000% down with the movement that is "Telework" if your job allows it. Lots of luddites disagree, but FUCK IT people going into the office, it's just not needed.Its just ridiculous. Especially I.T. (except desktop and hardware jobs) there is no reason to come into the office. Productivity issues? That's an office issue, not your well paid I.T. staff.

I guarantee you once a tech gets to our level, he's already knows how to be self-motivated, a "go-getter". You can only demotivate them.

GloryDayz
04-23-2024, 09:52 AM
Its just ridiculous. Especially I.T. (except desktop and hardware jobs) there is no reason to come into the office. Productivity issues? That's an office issue, not your well paid I.T. staff.

I guarantee you once a tech gets to our level, he's already knows how to be self-motivated, a "go-getter". You can only demotivate them.

Yep, and I'll add that being at the office offers WAAAAAAAAAAY too many opportunities to keep your best and brightest from staying focused. Not that email and applications like Teams isn't a concentration killer, but people interrupting your day is just silly.

ptlyon
04-23-2024, 09:54 AM
Yep, and I'll add that being at the office offers WAAAAAAAAAAY too many opportunities to keep your best and brightest from staying focused. Not that email and applications like Teams isn't a concentration killer, but people interrupting your day is just silly.

There's always the Jerry springer show caveat tho

BigRedChief
04-23-2024, 11:48 AM
Yep, and I'll add that being at the office offers WAAAAAAAAAAY too many opportunities to keep your best and brightest from staying focused. Not that email and applications like Teams isn't a concentration killer, but people interrupting your day is just silly.I've always helped the more junior techs with issues and advice. Even when it wasn't in my role. Techs helped me on the way up, so its my time to give back. Many on here reached out to me over the years for advice or help.

I would get involved in their issue, if needed. I'd get focused and turn around and half the day was gone but got the issue resolved. My bosses noticed for sure. It was on on every yearly evaluation. When I asked do you want to change? A quick no was always the response, just be aware. they have to put something negative on those evaluations.

Mosbonian
04-23-2024, 12:09 PM

I am going to disagree for some jobs in the market...less of an IT thing than back office jobs.

There were some people who became less focused and less productive when working at home. I had one of my team members who was working another job during the day while she was supposed to be working for our company. Her work suffered and when I would have discussions about her drop in performance she would blame everyone and everything else.

All in all it really is based on the associates work habits...most who work hard at work will also work hard at home. But not in every case

BigRedChief
04-23-2024, 01:02 PM
I am going to disagree for some jobs in the market...less of an IT thing than back office jobs.

There were some people who became less focused and less productive when working at home. I had one of my team members who was working another job during the day while she was supposed to be working for our company. Her work suffered and when I would have discussions about her drop in performance she would blame everyone and everything else.

All in all it really is based on the associates work habits...most who work hard at work will also work hard at home. But not in every caseOhh I agree. I was mainly talking about the upper level I.T. guys are self-motivated. That's how they got there and stay there. It's an inert trait to be successful at that level.

Your average office worker probably needs to be watched for performance issues. They can get demotivated for so many reasons. Employees can slack off from time to time and a supervisor talk usually clears it up. Or puts them on notice of unsatisfactory performance.

GloryDayz
04-23-2024, 01:56 PM
I've always helped the more junior techs with issues and advice. Even when it wasn't in my role. Techs helped me on the way up, so its my time to give back. Many on here reached out to me over the years for advice or help.

I would get involved in their issue, if needed. I'd get focused and turn around and half the day was gone but got the issue resolved. My bosses noticed for sure. It was on on every yearly evaluation. When I asked do you want to change? A quick no was always the response, just be aware. they have to put something negative on those evaluations.

And that's another wonderful thing about Telework, it makes those things much less difficult to do. Granted it can get abused, and sometimes does, but on balance it's easy to perform after hours work when all you have to do, or my people did, is walk back down to the home office.

And the pretty-much 24x7 availability network engineers seem to have (and get paid well for) makes easy of "getting in" much less stressful.

GloryDayz
04-23-2024, 02:01 PM

All in all it really is based on the associates work habits...most who work hard at work will also work hard at home. But not in every case

I know the scenario well, but I used to tell the bosses and supervisors under me that it's partly up to them to find these issues and solve them by assigning work. It's never that easy, but the bosses know who's slacking and who's not, and in our case we let people know that work was going to assigned fairly, documented, quality reviews performed, and people below the curve would be remediated - to include terminating Telework.

But I was lucky, network engineers, especially the WAN folks, aren't usually too much of a problem when it comes to these sorts of things.

PatMahomesIsGod
04-23-2024, 02:28 PM
Have you developed a tattoo system yet, and how will you avoid the pitfalls that Guy Pierce encountered?

BigOlChiefsfan
04-23-2024, 05:27 PM
Enjoy your retirement. As someone who fights memory issues as well - reviewing Google Calendar a few times a day helps remind me of stuff that needs doing.

BigRedChief
04-24-2024, 06:23 AM
Enjoy your retirement. As someone who fights memory issues as well - reviewing Google Calendar a few times a day helps remind me of stuff that needs doing.Sorry to hear, it sucks as we both know.

I've been putting everything in the calendar on the I-Phone. Making notes etc.

Mosbonian
04-24-2024, 07:52 AM
I know the scenario well, but I used to tell the bosses and supervisors under me that it's partly up to them to find these issues and solve them by assigning work. It's never that easy, but the bosses know who's slacking and who's not, and in our case we let people know that work was going to assigned fairly, documented, quality reviews performed, and people below the curve would be remediated - to include terminating Telework.

But I was lucky, network engineers, especially the WAN folks, aren't usually too much of a problem when it comes to these sorts of things.

Yep...those are all the "cures" for issues with those who work from home, but the issues that make it hard for some Managers is lack of support from HR. I actually had an HR rep when I asked for some assistance from their team with an individual that I needed to adjust my view of what HR is for these days. Her response is that HR was there to solely support/advocate for the associate.

Managing a team of IT associates for the most part is easier than back office associates. I think one of the things that makes me glad I am retiring now is that I found myself playing referee than Manager

ptlyon
04-24-2024, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear, it sucks as we both know.

I've been putting everything in the calendar on the I-Phone. Making notes etc.

Download an app to take notes in. I use one called inkpad. Love it and kept notes on various things for years. Things I wouldn't remember, like how to shut off the fridge in our camper when we close down for the year.

GloryDayz
04-24-2024, 11:25 AM
Yep...those are all the "cures" for issues with those who work from home, but the issues that make it hard for some Managers is lack of support from HR. I actually had an HR rep when I asked for some assistance from their team with an individual that I needed to adjust my view of what HR is for these days. Her response is that HR was there to solely support/advocate for the associate.

Managing a team of IT associates for the most part is easier than back office associates. I think one of the things that makes me glad I am retiring now is that I found myself playing referee than Manager

In an "employees" market I agree, but the tide will shift. Bit even then I was very clear that management is exactly that, management. Treat everybody with respect and equality, make performance expectations very clear and very transparent, get signatures on documents that show they've read and discussed the expectations, document/document/document (the one thing that kills a manager's chance of removing a bad employee), and than follow up with little emotion. I agree that the HR folks sometimes seem to be as much of a challenge as any problematic employees that the DEI process places on you, or the RA process assigns to you, but HR has managers too - get to know them well.

I was very lucky across my time working my way up from engineer, to lead engineer (non-supervisory team lead), to supervisor, to department head, so senior leadership because of the nature of my work. We had the occasional bad apple make their way into our ranks, but knowing the rules and how the game is played, and playing that game from the very beginning, really helped us when we needed to remove an employee who couldn't hack the kind of work that network engineers have to do.

That said, I LOVE being retired and I don't miss I.T. even a little bit...

BigRedChief
04-24-2024, 02:00 PM
In an "employees" market I agree, but the tide will shift. Bit even then I was very clear that management is exactly that, management. Treat everybody with respect and equality, make performance expectations very clear and very transparent, get signatures on documents that show they've read and discussed the expectations, document/document/document (the one thing that kills a manager's chance of removing a bad employee), and than follow up with little emotion. I agree that the HR folks sometimes seem to be as much of a challenge as any problematic employees that the DEI process places on you, or the RA process assigns to you, but HR has managers too - get to know them well.

I was very lucky across my time working my way up from engineer, to lead engineer (non-supervisory team lead), to supervisor, to department head, so senior leadership because of the nature of my work. We had the occasional bad apple make their way into our ranks, but knowing the rules and how the game is played, and playing that game from the very beginning, really helped us when we needed to remove an employee who couldn't hack the kind of work that network engineers have to do.

That said, I LOVE being retired and I don't miss I.T. even a little bit...you sound like a hard ass boss. :D
I loved my freedom most of my career. I had to produce, give progress updates to management and the C-suites but most times they just left me alone to go do my thing. I always brought it home on time.

GloryDayz
04-24-2024, 06:58 PM
you sound like a hard ass boss. :D
I loved my freedom most of my career. I had to produce, give progress updates to management and the C-suites but most times they just left me alone to go do my thing. I always brought it home on time.

Detail oriented and hard-ass aren't the same. The biggest challenge for engineers becoming leaders (beyond team leads) is the understanding of things that math can't define. The math formula called "HR" is one of those inexplicable things, and most engineers suffer for a while before they realize that you can't deal with the HR problem with simple physics and higher education, it's an enigma, you have to feed the beast that drools stupid and learn to tame that flea-infested beast. HR doesn't get logic, they get emotion, saving money on staff, and agendas (and staff reduction), so you have to deal with their BoD-directed retardation without consulting the time honored text books that were used at university.

BryanBusby
04-25-2024, 04:54 AM
I've always helped the more junior techs with issues and advice. Even when it wasn't in my role. Techs helped me on the way up, so its my time to give back. Many on here reached out to me over the years for advice or help.

That's the focus I have even though I did a lot of the heavy lifting myself to move up.

We onboarded a Help Desk Tech last fall and he was fortunate enough to be paired with me coming in. I've always been an open book when it comes to my knowledge and techniques and processes and encourage people to steal it for themselves and run with it.

Kid was smart enough to do exactly that so it was a pleasure to see him be promoted into my old role when I got moved up into a senior position.

Never understood the ones that hoard everything.

BigRedChief
04-25-2024, 06:53 AM
That's the focus I have even though I did a lot of the heavy lifting myself to move up.

We onboarded a Help Desk Tech last fall and he was fortunate enough to be paired with me coming in. I've always been an open book when it comes to my knowledge and techniques and processes and encourage people to steal it for themselves and run with it.

Kid was smart enough to do exactly that so it was a pleasure to see him be promoted into my old role when I got moved up into a senior position.

Never understood the ones that hoard everything.Glad to hear. I think most techs are like this. We are continually educating ourselves in tech. It never stops. Wellll it has for me now.

Didnt I help you out with a resume 15 years or so ago?