PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The Chiefs got lucky to win Super Bowls

BWillie
04-17-2024, 01:18 PM
Get out your pitchforks boys, you ain't gonna like this. It's actually good arguments. We probably got lucky last year, unlucky in the losses to Brady because that motherfucker is the luckiest person alive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zfin10hS0YM?si=CHeaJjMkZKNXMFOO" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

New World Order
04-17-2024, 01:24 PM
I hope we get lucky 4 more times

Rain Man
04-17-2024, 01:25 PM
Not even going to watch this clickbait. I watched the actual games. The Chiefs won because of undisputed greatness.

Molitoth
04-17-2024, 01:26 PM
“Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.”

Hi

staylor26
04-17-2024, 01:27 PM
Hi

Exactly. Considering we've had to dominate the AFC almost every year to get those opportunities, it's not luck.

ptlyon
Not even going to watch this clickbait. I watched the actual games. The Chiefs won because of undisputed greatness.

And the mafia.
And Taylor Swift.
And cute puppies.

Jerm
Every team that wins a Super Bowl has luck...I hate even bringing it up.

staylor26
04-17-2024, 01:28 PM
Every team that wins a Super Bowl has luck...I hate even bringing it up.

OP just wants some attention.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 01:29 PM
Maybe we were the best and were also fortunate. Handing Mahomes the ball at the end of the game wasn't luck, though but we still needed some good fortune and we got it.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 01:30 PM
OP just wants some attention.

No I just found the video fascinating. Sports aren't supreme destiny. It's also possible if we were as lucky as TOM BRADY we would have five super bowls and not three. Or if we were extremely unlucky maybe only 1.

PHOG
04-17-2024, 01:31 PM
I'll take this kind of luck any day.

staylor26
04-17-2024, 01:31 PM
No I just found the video fascinating. Sports aren't supreme destiny. It's also possible if we were as lucky as TOM BRADY we would have five super bowls and not three. Or if we were extremely unlucky maybe only 1.

Congratulations on discovering that there is some luck involved in winning championships.

DJ's left nut
04-17-2024, 01:32 PM
Get out your pitchforks boys, you ain't gonna like this. It's actually good arguments. We probably got lucky last year, unlucky in the losses to Brady because that motherfucker is the luckiest person alive.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Zfin10hS0YM?si=CHeaJjMkZKNXMFOO" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sure they did - a little. I mean the 49ers were lucky to even BE there, but let's not quibble...

Greenlaw's injury saved our asses. And Grapes missed an easy throw in the first SB that could've changed everything.

But man, that Eagles SB was two teams playing at an extremely high level. I'm just not sure I can find any 'luck' in there at all.

Moreover, there's not been a team in NFL history that didn't need a good break here or there to win a championship. That's how damn hard these things are to win. Maybe some of those early Cowboys teams that were molly-whopping the Bills didn't need any luck. But even then, they had some tight squeezes to get there in the playoffs.

It's just a truism, really.

And in the end, you can distinguish luck from skill by it's duration. 3 SB titles in 5 years ain't luck. Unless you call the Bengals being dumb enough to take John Ross when they needed a QB and the Bills being dumb enough to trade us pick 10 when they ALSO needed on 'luck'.

In which case - sure. Fine. Whatever. The Cowboys were lucky the Vikings are stupid. The Patriots are lucky they got a GOAT QB in the 5th round (who didn't need much salary cap space because his wife was a billionaire). The 49ers are lucky we took Steve Fuller instead of Joe Montana.

So in short - who really gives a fuck?

PAChiefsGuy
04-17-2024, 01:33 PM
Luck is a part of life but you got to take advantage of it. Most teams and people don't, Chiefs do.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
Congratulations on discovering that there is some luck involved in winning championships.

I've always believed this but fans tend to think there is almost no luck in sports.

ptlyon
04-17-2024, 01:34 PM
In a related note, I still haven't won the Powerball or mega millions

stevieray
04-17-2024, 01:35 PM
Going to six AFCCG's and winning three SB's isn't just luck.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-17-2024, 01:37 PM
Superfarce 50 is the definition of that

Pasta Little Brioni
04-17-2024, 01:38 PM
Chiefs are a cunt hair from playing in 6 straight SBs that ain't luck

philfree
BWillie is lucky to make a 3' putt.

BWillie
Going to straight six AFCCG's and winning three SB's isn't just luck.

Of course not. The Chiefs have been the best team in the NFL for a while but they've also been lucky. This level of dominance is what happens when the best team is also lucky. A dynasty occurs.

digger
04-17-2024, 01:40 PM
luck equals opportunity plus preparation

FloridaMan88
The Faketriots entire dynasty was based on luck… and cheating.

BWillie
BWillie is lucky to make a 3' putt.

I had a nice 77 with 39 putts the other day. You would have laughed at me alot.

Luck also a big factor in golf. There are days I've hit the ball awful and shot par. Other days I've shot 83 and played great. Ball getting a fried egg lie in a bunker. Ending up in horrible lies around the green. Being blocked in by a tree when it's the only one there. Wind gust when the ball is already in the air.

Life is full of lucky breaks.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 01:41 PM

Luck equals luck.

LoneWolf
04-17-2024, 01:42 PM
There is certainly "luck" in sports. There is "luck" in almost everything in life that has variation. When people equate luck to not being worthy of the outcome, that it turns into an argument.

DJ's left nut
04-17-2024, 01:43 PM
I've always believed this but fans tend to think there is almost no luck in sports.

There's a shitload of luck in sports.

Ultimately that's what drives me nuts about the Cardinals and their "We want to be relevant in September" approach. Because if you have ANY bad luck at all when you're targeting 88 wins, then you're going to win 83 and miss the playoffs.

You've gotta build in a luck buffer. Building for 84 wins and lucking your way into 4 more to get to 88 and the playoffs may work for a year, but you're gonna fall back again the next season. And building for 88 wins is going to net you 82 as often as it does a playoff appearance.

Luck is absolutely a part of the game. But ultimately over any reasonable sample size it's likely to even out. Most teams will get about the same amount of good luck and bad luck. Well led teams will fight through the bad. Poor led teams blame it for being poorly run.

4 SB appearances and 3 wins in 5 years is a plenty long sample size. Easily long enough to demonstrate that it ain't luck that led to that.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 01:44 PM
Chiefs are a cunt hair from playing in 6 straight SBs that ain't luck

A cunt hair probably should overtake the metric system in measurement.

RealSNR
04-17-2024, 01:44 PM

Exactly.

You have to buy a ticket in order to win the lottery. We’re the only team to buy tickets every year.

Some of those will be lucky tickets. Some will be unlucky. The skill is in always putting your team in a position to strike. And that part isn’t luck.

Direckshun
04-17-2024, 01:47 PM

Right here, my friends.

Truth be told, if Mahomes had held that ball a half second longer in the first Super Bowl, he can't complete Wasp.

If Mahomes isn't hit late in the AFCCG in 2023, the Chiefs aren't able to move up for a gimme FG and then who knows what happens.

If the Bills convert a FG last year, the Chiefs have to face them in OT and who knows what happens.

All three years, the Chiefs advance by the slimmest of margins, but that's almost certainly true for a hundred different teams.

It's also true that Andrew Luck doesn't have the ball bounce right back into his hands, or that Mariota catches his own pass, Dee Ford is offsides, or that Lin Elliott doesn't miss a hundred kicks, Eric Fisher misses the Super Bowl in 2021. And on and on it goes.

It's the nature of the sport. You cannot win without luck on your side.

In each of those games, the Chiefs could have won by more. The Eagles Super Bowl alone, I still think Sneed forced that fumble and that Nick Bolton should have been the real MVP with two touchdowns.

But, hey. That's the sport. And that's why it's a wild ride.

PAChiefsGuy
04-17-2024, 01:49 PM
The Faketriots entire dynasty was based on luck… and cheating.

Nah they were good. You don't accomplish what they did just based on what you claim especially when you consider they lost a key piece in Hernandez due to his incarceration.

Regardless, hopefully they Chiefs can match their accomplishments in time wout all the controversies.

FloridaMan88
04-17-2024, 01:56 PM
Nah they were good. You don't accomplish what they did just based on what you claim especially when you consider they lost a key piece in Hernandez due to his incarceration.

Regardless, hopefully they Chiefs can match their accomplishments in time wout all the controversies.

Tuck rule play?

Almost all of their Super Bowl wins were by one score/close games?

The bullshit Chris Jones roughing the passer call and the Dee Ford offsides call that got them to their final Super Bowl?

All luck.

Woogieman
04-17-2024, 02:01 PM

I refer to it as "good fortune"...where preparation meets opportunity, then has beers with Patrick Mahomes

Wisconsin_Chief
04-17-2024, 02:13 PM
While there is certainly some luck involved whenever any team wins multiple championships, I'm pretty sure having a HOF Head Coach, QB, TE and DT helps slightly. I mean, just somewhat, but it probably was mostly luck.

God, I hate everyone.

poolboy
04-17-2024, 02:15 PM
is it luck to win at poker?

DaFace
04-17-2024, 02:17 PM
Hi

And, more specifically, we seem to be great at striking when we see an opening. How many times has there been a key turnover, and we immediately score in the next couple of plays? That kind of stuff turns games.

IowaHawkeyeChief
04-17-2024, 02:19 PM
That's the way the ball bounces... is a saying for a reason. Though, most teams attitudes and preparedness create much of the "luck"...

PAChiefsGuy
04-17-2024, 02:21 PM
Tuck rule play?

Almost all of their Super Bowl wins were by one score/close games?

The bullshit Chris Jones roughing the passer call and the Dee Ford offsides call that got them to their final Super Bowl?

All luck.

It's a game of inches. This is nothing new.

It also goes both ways. They easily could have more if it wasn't for a few handful plays.

Chief Pagan
04-17-2024, 02:28 PM

For instance, if you come in first place in an elimination tournament that started with 100 players, that usually takes skill and luck.

Just coming out ahead most nights, night after night in ten person cash game, skill.

DJ's left nut
04-17-2024, 02:32 PM

A hand? Yeah.

A tournament? Nah - when I used to play a lot I knew when I was playing well and when I was irritated or chasing or just not focused and playing poorly.

If you're getting cold-decked it's not 'luck' to play in such a way that allows you to ride out your cold spell and then take advantage of it when you start getting better cards. Or to know when to lean on guys when THEY'RE clearly chasing.

There's plenty of skill involved in poker.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 02:40 PM

Over a course of one day, one tournament, or one cash session? Yes. That's the #1 reason you win or lose.

poolboy
04-17-2024, 02:41 PM
I can acquit some of what you said to football as well

BWillie
04-17-2024, 02:41 PM
My takeaway with his findings of our good fortune last year is we can't just sit on our hands and assume we will win again with the same team. Our defense is going to be there. But we need to heavily invest into the offense and especially at WR, LT and find another TE.

staylor26
04-17-2024, 02:45 PM
My takeaway with his findings of our good fortune last year is we can't just sit on our hands and assume we will win again with the same team. Our defense is going to be there. But we need to heavily invest into the offense and especially at WR, LT and find another TE.

They already signed Hollywood and have set themsevles up to draft offense heavily after bringing back everybody but Sneed on D.

The plan was never to run it back with the same offense.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 02:45 PM
A hand? Yeah.

A tournament? Nah - when I used to play a lot I knew when I was playing well and when I was irritated or chasing or just not focused and playing poorly.

If you're getting cold-decked it's not 'luck' to play in such a way that allows you to ride out your cold spell and then take advantage of it when you start getting better cards. Or to know when to lean on guys when THEY'RE clearly chasing.

There's plenty of skill involved in poker.

I would say there is much more luck involved in poker than you even are giving credit for. In one tournament, I'd rather be one of the worst players in the field and be one of the luckiest and it isn't even close. You can be absolutely awful and win a poker tournament.

When I play online in cash games I win only 53 or 54% of the time in a given cash session. In live cash where the games are much much easier I win about 62% of the time. In one day, one game, luck is the biggest factor of my success.

Over an entire year luck STILL a factor, just not the biggest factor. And in football you are only playing 17 + playoff games so there is that much more of a luck factor than some other sports or games.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 02:46 PM
They already signed Hollywood and have set themsevles up to draft offensive heavily after bringing back everybody but Sneed on D.

The plane as never to run it back with the same offense.

Yep. I like what we are doing.

DJ's left nut
04-17-2024, 02:50 PM
I would say there is much more luck involved in poker than you even are giving credit for. In one tournament, I'd rather be one of the worst players in the field and be one of the luckiest and it isn't even close. You can be absolutely awful and win a poker tournament.

When I play online in cash games I win only 53 or 54% of the time in a given cash session. In live cash where the games are much much easier I win about 62% of the time. In one day, one game, luck is the biggest factor of my success.

Over an entire year luck STILL a factor, just not the biggest factor. And in football you are only playing 17 + playoff games so there is that much more of a luck factor than some other sports or games.

I barely count online poker.

There's too many lunatics in those rooms that throw 'calculated decisionmaking' out the window.

When you have 2 or 3 guys throwing hand grenades out there, it changes things quite a bit. So yeah, in online I'd say luck plays a greater role.

ThrobProng
04-17-2024, 02:51 PM
The Chiefs are lucky that the Bills were dumb enough to hand the GOAT to us.

poolboy
04-17-2024, 02:51 PM
Defense is at least 3/4 of what it was last year...Hell yeah lets get some more O in the draft

poolboy
04-17-2024, 02:53 PM
I mean, no one prob thought Pat would be the goat when we drafted him...some luck there for sure

BWillie
04-17-2024, 02:55 PM
I barely count online poker.

There's too many lunatics in those rooms that throw 'calculated decisionmaking' out the window.

When you have 2 or 3 guys throwing hand grenades out there, it changes things quite a bit. So yeah, in online I'd say luck plays a greater role.

lol what

Online is full of multitabling pros who are making very good calculating decisions. Much less fish as well.

Live is full of plumbers, ditch diggers, wealth managers, drunk guys who have no sound strategy. Luck plays a big factor in both but if your winrate per table live is 10-15x higher than an online game then your variance will be lower and in turn the probability of you winning a given session increases.

If my winrate at a live 5/10 game was the same as an online 5/10 game where I could also play 8 tables, I could probably be a billionaire by the time I died.

O.city
04-17-2024, 02:57 PM
Luck plays a big factor in single elimination sports, but it’s hard to quantify and doesn’t lead to good talking points

dlphg9

I'd say an overwhelming percentage (>90%) of fans realize there is some luck involved in winning/losing. Honestly I've never seen anyone argue against it (IRL or on the Internet) and I read Reddit quite a bit. That place is filled with brain dead idiots.

What fans are you talking about?

Rausch
The Chiefs are lucky that the Bills were dumb enough to hand the GOAT to us.

Is it luck that the Ravens thought that Lamar could out-QB Mahomes in the playoffs?

Not really, no. Jackson is always terrible in the playoffs. When he runs or when he doesn't.

BWillie
04-17-2024, 03:00 PM
I'd say an overwhelming percentage (>90%) of fans realize there is some luck involved in winning/losing. Honestly I've never seen anyone argue against it (IRL or on the Internet) and I read Reddit quite a bit. That place is filled with brain dead idiots.

What fans are you talking about?

Walk into a sports bar when any game is on.

Step 2. Look around.

Pepe Silvia
04-17-2024, 03:02 PM
Luck will always be a factor for any Championship team.

dlphg9
04-17-2024, 03:02 PM
Luck plays a big factor in single elimination sports, but it’s hard to quantify and doesn’t lead to good talking points

I wouldn't call it a big factor, because if it was then Patrick Mahomes wouldn't be 15-3 in those single elimination games. It definitely is a factor, but it has nothing on the inevitability of Patrick Mahomes.

dlphg9
04-17-2024, 03:05 PM
Walk into a sports bar when any game is on.

Step 2. Look around.

What am I looking for?

Red Dawg
04-17-2024, 03:06 PM
Let me tell you about luck. Throwing a pick that literally lost the game and Dee Ford gets a flag the same play. Throwing a pick in the SB and getting a holding ball across the field to keep the ball. Nothing that lucky has happened to us.

KC_Connection
04-17-2024, 03:11 PM
Mahomes makes his own luck.

InChiefsHeaven
04-17-2024, 03:13 PM
Nobody ever talks about how the other teams had a lot of luck go there way during the games as well. Why? Because ultimately there are a lot of lucky bounces in every game. The team that can take advantage of the luck they get are the better teams.

Namely the Chiefs.

ThrobProng
04-17-2024, 03:17 PM
Is it luck that the Ravens thought that Lamar could out-QB Mahomes in the playoffs?

Not really, no. Jackson is always terrible in the playoffs. When he runs or when he doesn't.

It's luck that the Ravens were dumb enough to think that was possible, but Lamar choking in the playoffs was to be expected. No luck needed.

displacedinMN
04-17-2024, 03:19 PM
anyone will complain to overcome greatness

Denial is not just a river in Egypt

scho63
04-17-2024, 03:20 PM
They can suck the luck out of my thick dick.

Balto
04-17-2024, 03:26 PM
While I enjoyed the video I'd suggest that the calculations/numbers are off.

How can he use total possessions but base everything else (missed kicks, defense dropped INT, WR dropped pass and such) on snaps?

In the video it talks about how many "possessions" each team gets a game. The guy said each team has about 11-12 possessions a game so he rounded it to a total of 25 possessions a game. I'd argue that with football you should use SNAPS not possessions. An average NFL game has a total of about 126 total snaps which is WAY more than the 25 number he talks about.

Put 126 into the calculations instead of 25 and all of those graphs and charts seem like every team has basically the same amount of luck or Bad luck.

DJ's left nut
04-17-2024, 03:29 PM
lol what

Online is full of multitabling pros who are making very good calculating decisions. Much less fish as well.

Live is full of plumbers, ditch diggers, wealth managers, drunk guys who have no sound strategy. Luck plays a big factor in both but if your winrate per table live is 10-15x higher than an online game then your variance will be lower and in turn the probability of you winning a given session increases.

If my winrate at a live 5/10 game was the same as an online 5/10 game where I could also play 8 tables, I could probably be a billionaire by the time I died.

I've seen WAY more wildcards in online games.

And that's not to say that all of them are - there are absolutely pros online. But it only takes 1 or 2 guys at a table to screw up any sort of dynamic (I've been in rooms where a pro gets pissed and leaves because no amount of 'calculating' will save you when you have a lunatic in there).

I've always found live games to give 'truer' outcomes because you're less likely to have that 1 or 2 people at the table who are playing with their hair on fire. And there are still plenty of those even at 5/10 games.

I never played much beyond the 5/10 games. I suspect at 10/25 you've weeded out most of those really nutty players. Certainly anything beyond that you will have. But it's been my experience that there are still a TON of erratic players all the way up to 5/10 games.

jdubya
04-17-2024, 04:31 PM
Luck is a part of life but you got to take advantage of it. Most teams and people don't, Chiefs do.

Yep. Living here in the Bay Area during the 1980s I watched most of the niners games during their dynasty. I couldn't believe how often every "tipped" pass on either side of the ball would magically always fall into niners hands. Every fumble seemed to kick up high as a niners player running full speed didnt even have to dive to the ground to recover it. And it always seemed they got the crucial call at the crucial time.

Good teams draw good luck......and create their own good luck

KCBlitz
04-17-2024, 04:41 PM
[QUOTE=BWillie;17484815]Get out your pitchforks boys, you ain't gonna like this. It's actually good arguments. We probably got lucky last year, unlucky in the losses to Brady because that mother****er is the luckiest person alive.

Luck is opportunity meets Mahomes

Bowser
04-17-2024, 04:47 PM
We won SB58 by just about the absolute slimmest of margins. I won't even begin to think or say it was luck that got us the win, but boy oh boy, if we don't make every yard and every play we did in all phases of the game, we lose that Super Bowl. And that's what makes it probably one of the best championship games we've seen in a LONG time. The game was THAT close.

lcarus
04-17-2024, 04:55 PM
Total luck that the blocker on the 9ers punt return had the awareness of a tent spike and let the football hit his foot. Also total luck that their returner had the wise idea to pick the ball up instead of falling on it.

I guess the Chiefs are lucky that the 49ers players are dumber and worse at football.

Womble
04-17-2024, 05:17 PM
We won last year's Super Bowl having gone through objectively the toughest gauntlet of any Super Bowl winning team in the modern era:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A reminder: the Chiefs faced the hardest postseason road to a title ever, based on regular-season DVOA of their opponents. <a href="https://t.co/km0BfE1Of8">pic.twitter.com/km0BfE1Of8</a></p>&mdash; Aaron Schatz �� (@ASchatzNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/ASchatzNFL/status/1756896776211308982?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nananananaa - Fingers in ears and eyes, not watching that shite. We are the best!

Hydrae
04-17-2024, 05:23 PM
And the mafia.
And Taylor Swift.
And cute puppies.

I like cute puppies!

And the Chiefs!!!

wazu
04-17-2024, 06:21 PM
I wanted this video to be compelling, but it wasn't. They repeatedly cite missed field goals and made field goals as some of their main examples of "luck". If that's the case I can see why the Chiefs, with an all-time great kicker, are considered lucky. They also act like a fumble recovery is random and has no correlation to the awareness/reaction time of the players. And dropping passes and INTs? That's also all luck.

I believe there is plenty of luck in sports. I do agree that the limited number of posessions in football mean that one funny bounce of the ball can be massive. Whereas in basketball you get way more possessions and opportunities to overcome. That was probably their best point.

TLO
04-17-2024, 06:22 PM
We won last year's Super Bowl having gone through objectively the toughest gauntlet of any Super Bowl winning team in the modern era:
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">A reminder: the Chiefs faced the hardest postseason road to a title ever, based on regular-season DVOA of their opponents. <a href="https://t.co/km0BfE1Of8">pic.twitter.com/km0BfE1Of8</a></p>&mdash; Aaron Schatz �� (@ASchatzNFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/ASchatzNFL/status/1756896776211308982?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nananananaa - Fingers in ears and eyes, not watching that shite. We are the best!

Thanks luck!!!

Bearcat
04-17-2024, 06:24 PM
Interesting concept and not a bad video... but, overall seems half-baked (and he even said so at the end, since he's not tracking terrible officiating calls and coin flips, etc.).

I think at one point he even excused the block EP in the SB as luck even after saying he didn't count blocked kicks.

He talks a good game, but seems like he's currently counting things that aren't 100% lucky (maybe a defense is good at recovering fumbles because they're always around the ball) while not counting things that are pure luck (how could you not count coin flips).

This is Luck Alpha, would be interested in knowing what it looks like when it's a finished project.

Bl00dyBizkitz
04-17-2024, 06:35 PM
I wanted this video to be compelling, but it wasn't. They repeatedly cite missed field goals and made field goals as some of their main examples of "luck". If that's the case I can see why the Chiefs, with an all-time great kicker, are considered lucky. They also act like a fumble recovery is random and has no correlation to the awareness/reaction time of the players. And dropping passes and INTs? That's also all luck.

I believe there is plenty of luck in sports. I do agree that the limited number of posessions in football mean that one funny bounce of the ball can be massive. Whereas in basketball you get way more possessions and opportunities to overcome. That was probably their best point.

And games. NBA playoff series has minimum 4 games, max 7 games, and NFL playoff series has only 1 game. Thats gonna drive variance down quite a bit.

Megatron96
04-17-2024, 08:01 PM
Didn't watch the video, didn't feel the need to.

It goes without saying that single elimination games are affected the most by 'luck.' It's the reason MLB/NBA/NHL do best-of-7 series. It's why pro pool tournaments are always race-to-13 or more. Playing more games reduces the luck factor.

However, it's tough to say it was luck when a team wins 3 out of four SBs in a relatively short period like 5 years. Sure, there's going to be some luck involved in any game, but luck isn't usually consistent for one team over another either.

SD15
04-17-2024, 08:37 PM
Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, Travis Kelce Chris Jones, Spags, Sneed, McDuffie, Bolton, Gay….. and the rest!

Luck? lmao

Lucky we had these guys.

ghak99
04-17-2024, 09:24 PM
This bullshit started with labeling DBs dropping interceptions and WRs dropping passes as being defined as luck. Your DBs or WRs ability to catch a ball isn't luck, it's a lack of skill or concentration.

Is this thing worth watching beyond those two examples?

ChiefaRoo
04-17-2024, 09:31 PM
There is certainly "luck" in sports. There is "luck" in almost everything in life that has variation. When people equate luck to not being worthy of the outcome, that it turns into an argument.

The variation evens out in the end. What’s left over time is skill/talent.

seamonster
04-18-2024, 05:26 AM
People severely underestimate how much Mahomes wears down these defenses with the scrambling.

Pasta Little Brioni
04-18-2024, 05:48 AM
These Chiefs are good reeeeal good. We're the best...

MVChiefFan
04-18-2024, 06:47 AM
LMAO at this nonsense. I’ve seen us commit more turnovers, penalties, and drop more passes and STILL win the ****ing game. Good luck and bad luck is everywhere… we’re just a better football team than everyone else.

Why Not?
04-18-2024, 06:53 AM
The whole "luck" debate kinda reminds me of that scene in Major League, where the fans in the outfield are arguing about the trajectory of the ball, and finally one of them says

"Who gives a shit, it's gone"

Luck, no luck, bad bounce, good bounce, who gives a shit? The Chiefs are the B2B Champions. I don't care why or how.

Rainbarrel
04-18-2024, 07:03 AM
Lucky for us, 2024 NFL Draft Week is here to push this aside!

ChiTown
04-18-2024, 07:24 AM
Well, if in fact it was “luck”, as a Chiefs fan, we were apparently due a bunch of of it :)

Monticore
04-18-2024, 08:17 AM
The league got lucky we should have won the last 6

Balto
04-18-2024, 08:45 AM

While I agree that it's less than other sports, NBA, BUT I think they should talk about SNAPS not possessions. A QB snaps the ball on average 126 a game vs only 25 possessions. That would upset his charts and would make all teams about equal in the "luck" department.

Bl00dyBizkitz
04-18-2024, 09:03 AM
We're lucky 9 teams passed on Patrick Mahomes in 2017.

Past that point, all the other luck is negligible.

Wisconsin_Chief
04-18-2024, 09:13 AM

If not for refball, we very well could have.

RaidersOftheCellar
04-18-2024, 09:24 AM

Too bad Alex didn't stick around to benefit from all this luck.

BWillie
04-18-2024, 09:26 AM
If not for refball, we very well could have.

Alex Smiff unluckily cost us a SB

J Diddy
04-18-2024, 09:53 AM
Well, if in fact it was “luck”, as a Chiefs fan, we were apparently due a bunch of of it :)

50 heartbreaking, grueling years worth.

ROYC75
04-18-2024, 10:36 AM
Hell yes Luck plays into sports, you just have to be prepared to capitalize on the opportunity!

You can literally go through any sporting event and find something that can alter a play, which can alter the game!

Hell, I love the Mario & the Miracle's season, but Memphis had every reason to win that game in the 2nd half! FT's, just hit them, were we lucky they missed, yes, cause just hitting 1 more in the 2nd half and we are not the Champs!

Any frigging sporting event some luck plays into the event.

ThrobProng
04-18-2024, 10:38 AM
As the fanbase that whined "Because Chiefs" for decades, we know good and bad luck is a big part of football.

gordonelloyd
04-18-2024, 11:30 AM
It’s always been better to be lucky than to be good, as the saying goes.

Interesting attempt to try to quantify luck. Definitely hit and miss field Goals is more about the field goal kicker skills than luck. I’m not really sure dropped passes are a good measure either. Toney is not so much unlucky. He just can’t catch.

His fourth metric of how the bell bounces after a fumble is probably the best, although some defences are just better at creating opportunities to recover irrespective of how the ball bounces.

Not sure what other metrics would have been better and more meaningful. But if he is going to use these ones he needs to subjectively adjust them to take into account player skills; definitely for kicking and probably four drops as well.

And for those who say Brady was the luckiest player alive, he lost one Super Bowl to Eli because of an incredible otherworldly catch after Eli miraculously escaped being sacked. And the other Super Bowl he lost to Eli also involved an amazing throw and catch. So he wasn’t always lucky. Sure those plays involved skill mainly, but you can’t have seen them without seeing if there was an element of luck.

Definitely agree with the posters that point out that when you win multiple Super Bowls It certainly makes it much harder to say. The team was just lucky.

But let’s hope we’re lucky again this year and for many years to come.

redfan
04-18-2024, 11:32 AM
Like NY Yankee great Lefty Gomez said: "I'd rather be lucky than good."

ChiefsCountry
04-18-2024, 11:59 AM
Its the luck of the Jesuits /blackops

Rausch
04-18-2024, 12:31 PM

Exactly. We were 6 pts away from winning 1 more SB and being in 2 (we weren't beating TB that year with a 3rd string O line. That should be clear.)

ping2000
04-18-2024, 01:16 PM
What happens when we get good to go along with the luck? I'm predicting 10 in a row now.

notorious
04-18-2024, 03:25 PM
San Fran’s kicker bombed deep kicks he wouldn’t dream of normally. Did this stupid fuck figure that in?

BWillie
04-18-2024, 04:24 PM
San Fran’s kicker bombed deep kicks he wouldn’t dream of normally. Did this stupid fuck figure that in?

And Butkers kick was millimeters from being blocked

Rasputin
04-19-2024, 02:31 AM
<iframe width="944" height="708" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p5cOqCjInYI" title="Primus - Is It Luck?" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" referrerpolicy="strict-origin-when-cross-origin" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ChiefsFanatic
04-19-2024, 05:26 AM
How did anyone make it through that video? The slow pace, and his condescending drawn out tone made me want to punch him in the throat, and kick him in the nuts, just so he would STFU and make a noise other than whatever bullshit he was just spewing.

BWillie
04-19-2024, 05:33 AM
How did anyone make it through that video? The slow pace, and his condescending drawn out tone made me want to punch him in the throat, and kick him in the nuts, just so he would STFU and make a noise other than whatever bullshit he was just spewing.

I thought it was a fantastic well done video. I knew it was going to be upsetting to people but the type of logic he uses simply fascinates me.