PDA

View Full Version : Lasik surgery completed and Cali is a happy man.

California Injun
08-24-2002, 09:26 AM
I posted a few weeks back about a pending eye surgery to remove 35 years of requiring glasses to view the world. Well it was probably the best $3,500 investment I've ever made!!

For those considering this procedure, make it happen. You won't regret it. Here's what goes on.

1 - After the numerous eye tests to measure your actual vision, they will determine if you qualify for Lasik or E-Lasik. If it is E-Lasik, then think twice before doing it. Fortunately I qualified for the Lasik.

2 - Now they will measure your dipoters and corneal thickness. My was a total of 8 ( -5.25 + 3.00 of astigmaticm = -8.25) on the diopters and around 495-505 of the thickness of the cornea. This is the important measurement as they can only thin it down to 460. If you have too much on the diopters and not enough thickness to shave down, you are screwed.

3 - They will then do a few other tests to get a total readout on your eyes before the surgeon determines your qualifications. This can take a few days before they get back to you. The bonus of one of the tests is they use the same machine that will do the laser surgery. So it is like a dry run before the actual event.

Once the appointment is made it is time for a few other things....

California Injun
08-24-2002, 09:33 AM
The Laser center will send you out a packet of pre-op instructions to review along with a prescription for Ciloxin (anti-infective) to get filled before the surgery. You need to take these drops 24 hours before surgery to prep you eyes.

The drops made my eyes feel a bit heavy but nothing to complain about.

On the day of the surgery, you're suppose to view a video tape of what happens. I blew this off because I read up on it in the brochure they gave me. I also filled out everything and took the pre-test along with signing the consent.

TIP: Don't read too much of this consent or you will freak out. It talks about going blind and every other freaking thing that could happen to you but the risks are really negligible. They have to list it all to cover their asses so why get all pumped up over a relatively easy procedure.

The next step is forking out the cash up front. you must pay in full or nothing happens. They also will not do the surgery unless you have a driver there with you. No ifs, ands, or buts about this rule!

Frazod
08-24-2002, 09:37 AM
My best friend had this done about three weeks ago and is also thrilled - went from can't-see-shit to 20/15 in both eyes.

He may present a bit more of a challenge the next time we go shooting... :eek:

Katie
08-24-2002, 09:41 AM
Glad to hear it worked so well for you. I have been considering this for some time now but have been hesitant.

What exactly is the e-lasik?

California Injun
08-24-2002, 09:41 AM
After you fork over the cash they throw you 10mg of Valium to chill you out. I did not need as the gal said I looked relaxed already but I wasn't going to pass up THAT little bonus pill!!

After about 20 minutes they took me back to what I would call a relaxation room. An assistant reviews what you already read in the packet and then leaves you there in a recliner. She then turns out the lights and pipes in elevator music to further relax you.

Well, I fell asleep....

Sometime later the doc woke me up and led me into the operating room. Now this is not some high fashioned, totally separated double-doored place like you see in the movies but it is right inside the waiting room area with tinted glass windows.

Other relatives and friends are encouraged to watch it if they want. They position you under this machine that looks like that light you see in the dentists chair and they give you a teddy bear to hold onto to. (Yes, I thought this was kind of dorky)

After what seemed like the 15th set of eye drops to be put in there. (dialators, numbing agents, anti-inflammatories, anti-infectives) they covered up one eye and started with the other.

California Injun
08-24-2002, 09:47 AM
They drape your eye and pull it open as wide as possible. Then they put this metal guide for the actual incisional tool that creates the corneal flap. Now the ONLY thing that was uncomfortable was having to look dead eye straight into this incredibly bright light!!

I liken it to the a-holes who flash their high beams on you as you are driving at night. They make you stare at this red dot amidst these 4 bright lights and it is a bitch. (This is where that little soft teddy bear comes into play as I nearly squeezed his guts out!)

First comes the removal of your lense, and then they start the laser. All you hear is the machine saying;

"30% completed....... 55% completed..... 85% completed.... then "procedure now finished."

No pain during the laser and it felt like a cool mist that you see in the produce department at you local store.

Same thing for the other eye and in less than 10 minutes you're done.

Gracie Dean
08-24-2002, 09:49 AM
I am such a wus, they would have to put me out!!!

California Injun
08-24-2002, 09:53 AM
Then they take you to his examination room and he looks at the flaps to see if they are lined up with the markings he made with a pen prior to surgery. At this point you vision is still murky and it seems like your looking through milky lenses.

They put some swimming goggles on you and some shades and tell you to keep your eyes closed for the next 12-16 hours. (Hence the driver that brought you)

The only thing I felt on my one hour drive home was a small sinus headache above both of my eyebrows. Upon arrival to my home, popped one Vicodin, one Ativan (they give these to you) and retired to bed to sleep.

12 hour later I was awake on on my daily eye drops for the next 7 days every 4 hours. Now I had to do a follow up appointment with my optometrist to check things out and I'm 20/20 and 20/15 so far.

My vision is getting more clarity as the fluid from inside my eyes gets pushed out naturally.

Drawbacks so far?

California Injun
08-24-2002, 09:59 AM
Drawbacks.....

I noticed that any LED lights at night are quite fuzzy. I can read them fine but it is not crystal clear as before.

The television screen on the borders where the picture meets the black part of your television shows a bit a haze. But this is only at night and not during natural daylight.

I have to be more careful when out doing yardwork. Before my glasses were natural goggles and I cannot tell you the number of times branches, rocks, and foreign objects bounced off my spectacles. It is safety goggles from now on.

Other than that, things are freaking great!!!!!

Anyone else that ever thought ouf doing this procedure should check it out yesterday. I mulled this over about 10 years and finally took the plunge.

Guaranteed you'll be a changed person once it is done!!

:toast:

Frazod
08-24-2002, 09:59 AM
At the place my friend had it done (up here in Naperville), they actually had the operating rooms open for viewing by anyone who wants to watch.

He said the surgery was no big deal, and that the only unsettling thing was smelling his own burning flesh... :eek: But other than that it was fine. He didn't even experience that much discomfort afterwards.

Fortunately, I have no need for this - most everything else on my body is slowly going to hell :rolleyes: but I have excellent vision. When we can afford it, though, the wife may have this done. She's blind as a bat without her glasses.

Chiefnj
08-24-2002, 10:01 AM
Cal,

Congrats. Aside from the LED lights being fuzzy at night, how is the night vision in general?

stevieray
08-24-2002, 10:04 AM
3,500 dollars in ten minutes..? 21,000 an hour?

Great work if you can get it.

My stepdad became a pilot, with hardly any vision in his right eye, he had this procedure done, and says being able to see with both eyes while flying is amazing. opened up awhole new world to him. Congrats, Cal.

California Injun
08-24-2002, 10:08 AM
Katie,

E-Lasik is a more involved procedure where they actually put a lens implant into your eye after they take down the cornea a bit.

It is only for those who are incredibly blind (like I originally thought I was) or those that have thin corneas.

This is not a walk in the park like the Laisk was and it requires at least 7 days to recover.

If I wanted to, I could have returned to work the very next day but said "Screw that!"

I really could have went back in the day after (Which was Friday) but again repeated the "Screw that!" and enjoyed my additional day off.

Any of you myopians out there that ever wondered what life would be like to look out your front door and see you yard WITHOUT those scratchy lenses will fully appreciate what I am typing to you today.

I've been a "4-eyes" since the age of 6 and this is GREAT!!!!

The girlfriend has been out of town the past two weeks and I'm "looking" forward to engaging in some bedroom activity where I can actually SEE who I'm sharing it with.:p

Just another perk with this procedure....:toast:

papasmurf
08-24-2002, 10:10 AM
Glad to hear (see) that you are doing well.

ROYC75
08-24-2002, 10:12 AM
Congats Michael...........

Hope I neve have to have it done....... I'M A BIG CHICKEN ! ( Forghorn Leghorn ) Might as well knock me out, ain't now way this CHICKEN can do it !

Ultra Peanut
08-24-2002, 10:15 AM
I can barely take eye drops without pulling away at the last second every time. The idea of even wearing contacts is somewhat disturbing to me. Imagining having something slice my cornea and stare into an incredibly bright light for however long it takes is downright terrifying.

I hate having to stare through the muck that neverendingly collects on glasses no matter how often you clean them, and I hate not even being able to see jack if it's more than a few inches away(20/400) without my glasses. But I'm not sure I'll ever be able to pursue Lasik, simply because I'm a big wuss.

California Injun
08-24-2002, 10:15 AM
Chiefnj,

Last night was the first night or really trying to tell the difference as I was out cold with the medications the first night.

I have not driven anywhere so I cannot tell you.

I did notice the clarity decreases somewhat if your room is dimly lit. I can read books and magazines easily as long as you have ample light.

I am wondering what going to a movie theater will be like given the slight fuzziness I experienced with the television last night.

But the trade off during the daylight hours far exceeds any minro irritants at night so far.

Hell, I'm driving down the road looking at crap saying;

"55 mile maximum speed limit"

"There's Bank of America"

"Yard Sale this Saturday!"

Even reading the damn bumper stickers is a revelation!!!

Ultra Peanut
08-24-2002, 10:20 AM

Even reading the damn bumper stickers is a revelation!!!Heh. I did that non-stop for about a year after I got glasses. :D

California Injun
08-24-2002, 10:20 AM
The description of the surgery sounds more gruesome than the actual event. What was cool is they tape the procedure and give you a copy to take home and watch.

I was more freaked out watching my own eyes getting cut on than going through it.

So a hot tip here;

Don't watch the video of it before getting it done. You'll probably just scare the hell out of yourself.

California Injun
08-24-2002, 10:33 AM
Originally posted by Psicosis
I can barely take eye drops without pulling away at the last second every time. The idea of even wearing contacts is somewhat disturbing to me. Imagining having something slice my cornea and stare into an incredibly bright light for however long it takes is downright terrifying.

I hate having to stare through the muck that neverendingly collects on glasses no matter how often you clean them, and I hate not even being able to see jack if it's more than a few inches away(20/400) without my glasses. But I'm not sure I'll ever be able to pursue Lasik, simply because I'm a big wuss.

You could always take an additional dose of Valium to calm your nerves.

Since you are looking into that light, you actually look forward to having the flap removed as it temporarily eliminates the light.

The "slice" is painless and all you see is a shadow cross you eye. Then it looks like somebody pulled Saran wrap off your eye when they pull down the flap.

Once the laser is done, back come the Saran wrap vision as the flap is put back in place.

The only other pain is when they take off the drape that was taped around your eyes. It is like taking a band-aid off a hairy part of your body.

A bit of discomfort for a new lifetime of vision freedom is worth it.

dtebbe
08-24-2002, 11:29 AM
My wife had Lasik in Feb. at TLC here in Atlanta. She had really bad eyes, her right eye was very very bad. She now has 20/20 in her left eye and 20/30 in her right eye, and functions perfectly without glasses. The cost was $3200, and she says it has changed her life (it sure is nice not hearing her bitch about her glasses anymore). TLC has a 1 year same as cash deal with MNBA, and we took advantage of that. My eyes are not too bad, and I have no problem wearing contacts, so the cost would have to get down around $1k per eye before I would consider it. For those with really thick glasses or eyes too bad to wear contacts Lasik is a really good option. My wife was worried about all the horror stories of bad night vision, but her night vision actually improved.

DT

DanT
08-24-2002, 12:08 PM
Great posts, California Injun. Congratulations on improving your vision!

dollar1
08-24-2002, 01:31 PM
I asked my optomitrist (sp) about the procedure. Go to surgicaleyes.com. It provides a lot of info. This site was established mainly from dissatisfied lasik people. It can get pretty gruesome. Keep in mind, none of these people had a pleasant Lasik procedure.

Most complaints: extreme dry eyes(can't open their eyes in the morning until they shoot drops up under the lid), very poor night vision (can't drive anymore), regression (the eyes regress back thus needing glasses/contacts again anyway), depression ...basically some F#$ked up eyes.

Again, not for the light hearted.

Sample: (kinda long) Titled "Pysche Of A Lasered Man"

I AM SORRY THIS IS SO LONG....thanks for listening......
Did my eyes feel this tired or dry before?
The starbursts/halos aren’t so bad – whom I kidding!?
Atleast I’m not blind.
Will I have a retinal detachment one day, since I have increased floaters?
Will I go blind?
At least since starting to smoke again, I can take cigarette breaks outside in the sun (just remember to wear my sunglasses so I don’t notice all the floaters.)
Will I ever get used to this?
I miss my glasses and contacts.
I miss my glasses and contacts.
Will I ever forgive myself for jeopardizing one of the most sensitive and personal parts of my body in agreeing to an irreversible proceedure that slices and burns the only pair of eyes I get in this lifetime.
I am only 33.
Will my pupils shrink? At what age?
Will I ever get through a day without thinking about my vision?
When will I wake up from this hell?
I wonder if he/she can notice that I am having a difficult time concentrating on our conversation because my mind is wrapped up in:
- the floaters running all over your face
- or, the fact that your face is blurry now in this dim lighting
- or, that there is no differentiation between your black shirt and your black pants!
What will my eyes be like when I am a senior?
Thoughts of suicide, a lot.
Pretending to my loved ones that everything is perfect, especially when they ask “how are your eyes now?” Don’t worry mom.
Everytime I see someone wearing glasses, I become sad, nostalgic, envious and filled with self-hatred. At my eye doctors office, I hate all the HAPPY LASIK patients smiling about.
There’s another floater, was that there yesterday?
What’s going to happen when I reach 40/50 and we supposedly get more floaters anyway??
Should I go on anti-depressents?
I hope its sunny tomorrow. Should I move South? Or West?
I hate dark Mondays in the fall/winter. Leaving work at night depresses me.
I am DEPRESSED. HAVE TO FIND meaning in this/my life.
Maybe I should get a job working outside in the daylight?
All these people I see walking around so happy with perfect correctable vision not thinking about the lights, the loss of contrast, etc etc.
I just want to sleep.
I look the same, but my head is filled with thoughts and decisions I have to make that I never thought I’d have to confront. I feel like I was in an accident. MY CORNEAS ARE CUT and I can see the flap when I look in the mirror!
Who will take care of me if…….
Will I find a lover who will understand? accept? be able to comfort or put up with me, my depression, my visual fears?
What does Alphagan do to my body? What is the long-term effect?
Is my eyesight bad enough to get RGP lenses? Will I be able to tolerate them? When do I wear them if even during the day I get glare inside at the most random times/places?
I need to always sit near a window.
Will I regress?
I’m pretty sure my vision got a bit better at 4 and 8 months, it STILL SUCKS.
I want to love my eyes again. A doctor has made me not like my eyes.
Knowing that the technology existed at the time of my surgery to avoid this, but the doctor chose the wrong type of laser to use on me is a painful feeling.
Do I sue? Do I have the energy to sue? Am I hurt enough to sue? What would a jury say since I have 20/20? How do I prove anything is wrong, when everything “seems” the same in my life?
I hate smiling celebrity endorsements.
I’m afraid of changing jobs, but I hate my job. I need a new career. No confidence like before.
I don’t want to be a victim. Too late.
If I told any stranger about my situation, they would say “that’s screwed up!” and I would agree and feel even worse cause we are talking about me!
I know there’s gotta be more people out there who have brain-washed themselves into thinking they are okay. How do I brainwash me? Do I know too much?
Maybe I should have listened to that a#*hole surgeon when after leaving the day-one post op checkup he told me “now don’t look at any of those Web sites” – good guy, huh?!
I can’t believe I went to a Lasik Mill – I knew about them before my surgery, and didn’t think it was one, BUT IT IS – IT IS – IT IS!!! And not even offering Lasik-mill pricing!
They probably pay the two “20/Happy” patients that I spoke with who had my doctor too.
Why didn’t I get a second opinion! I am so stupid. I know people wonder that too.
Thank God for SE, but I don’t want to be a member, thank God for SE, yes I haven’t been to the site in a couple of weeks, I need to take breaks, so good to know others understand, but I’m not that bad, am I? I want to move on, I don’t want to go to SE, THANK GOD for SE!
Some of the worlds greatest leaders have suffered and endured physical injury.
Now, how do I use this experience to make a difference in my life and others……
What is aquarium vision? I think I have it. Certain things look “glassy” and blurry to me – especially anything dark colored. I feel stoned in my apartment at night.
Where else can I fit a lamp? And to think I used to love dim lighting.
I have fear of nightime social occasions.
Need more time alone. NO, I AM NOT ALRIGHT.
And to think I used to be so confident, loved to travel, was proud of my hazel eyes, have conversations without this obsessive thought of my vision.
I hate looking at old pictures (pre-Lasik) of myself. Who was that person? Who is this person?
Maybe God will just take me one night while I am sleeping.
Will I be happy again without alcohol to take my mind off of my situation?
Be careful when rubbing my eyes.
I can’t believe I always have flaps, why didn’t he tell me this?
I am brave, that’s what they say. I don’t have a choice.

On and on…………

Here is a narrative illustrating to "Normal" people just how screwed up a post lasik could be:

I have found a way....

... I went to the optometrist and had a special glasses made up that I can have a person put on when they ask how I see, or at least SOME of the abberations of what I see.

I had one eye lens made up as -1.75 and the other -0.75 with a bit of astigmatism in one lens (since I was OVERCORRECTED ... it would be + D for all those who were UNDERCORRECTED), and then I applied a bit of irregular pattern of vaseline, (I guess a fine sandpaper rubdown would work also) and a few strategically placed scratches to get the bursts, some longer some shorter. This represented the imbalance between eyes, and the haze and fog effect. I usually have them try it on in daylight AND night !! If they already wear glasses or contacts to correct their own visual problems, this "special glasses" gets placed over it, and illustrates going from GOOD vision to crappy Post-LASIK vision! (Have them look at TV about 15 feet away, or take a drive around the block at night to get the full impact !! )

I can only ask them to put some diluted alcohol drops in their eyes to simulate the burning, itching combo, and a bit of baby talcum powder blown in their face and eyes to simulate dry eyes ... but they usually get the "picture" when they have been "demonstrated" with the above demo "LASIK GLASSES"!

Their usual response is: WOW!! You mean you paid $4,000. for vision like this?!!

And I reply: I would pay $8,000. to get my previous old vision back!!

George

" If it ain't broke, don't fix it !! "

Bottom Line: I could play the odds and not end up being a battered man. Even if it works fine (with minor problems-eye drops, night vision) in 10-20 yrs I'd be back in glasses again? Thus why tempt fate?

Ultra Peanut
08-24-2002, 01:41 PM
:spock:

Dramatic much?

Logical
08-24-2002, 01:53 PM
Glad to here it CalInjun I new you would enjoy the results. :toast: :D

Logical
08-24-2002, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by California Injun
Chiefnj,

Last night was the first night or really trying to tell the difference as I was out cold with the medications the first night.

I have not driven anywhere so I cannot tell you.

I did notice the clarity decreases somewhat if your room is dimly lit. I can read books and magazines easily as long as you have ample light.

I am wondering what going to a movie theater will be like given the slight fuzziness I experienced with the television last night.

But the trade off during the daylight hours far exceeds any minro irritants at night so far.

Even reading the damn bumper stickers is a revelation!!!

Cal,

After a month the only difference pre-lasik and post lasik should be looking at bright lights like from oncoming cars you will see a halo effect. The blurriness at the edge of the TV screen etc will disappear (at least it has for me and the other people I know). So don't worry. For me being very astigmatic all my life the halo effect is normal but for others who have not had astigmatism it takes getting used to. Warning you may find driving 8 hours at night very difficult because of this effect. I can drive from sun up to night no problem but after 3 to 4 hours of night driving I can barely stay awake. For me this has always been the case but for others who did not have astigmatism it is often a suprise.

teedubya
10-13-2004, 06:58 PM
I went to LasikPlus today to get an eye exam... seems like since I am blind as fock and have a great cornea that I am a perfect candidate.

$1299 per eye... It looks like Ill be doing this In January... should be interesting.

Sure-Oz
10-13-2004, 07:01 PM
My sister is getting lasik surgery the 18th day after her bday.

Cntrygal
10-13-2004, 07:10 PM
Congrats!

I was supposed to get my eyes fixed last year, but ended up in Korea instead. So TOMORROW is the big day to find out if I still am eligible (have to meet certain standards for the AF to say "go ahead").

Hydrae
10-13-2004, 07:44 PM
I would love to get a follow up from Cali almost 2 months later.

Hydrae
~Another unsure wuss

Cntrygal
10-13-2004, 08:12 PM
I would love to get a follow up from Cali almost 2 months later.

Hydrae
~Another unsure wuss

I work (directly) with two guys that had PRK and one guy that had LASIK, they love it.

KingPriest2
10-13-2004, 08:20 PM
Here is my story

I have a heriditary eye disease. My brother has a fomr of it and my 2 nephews have it as well. But I have it the worst out of all of them. It comes from my mothers side, but we don't know where it came from. We are the first to have it.

My brother and I were diagnosed with Juvenile Macular Degeneration. when were were younger. I was about 4. Well the summer before I left for college my mother noticed a seminar about the disease. I thought sure why not. So I went and got some good info talked the eye doctor and I ended up to to his office to have my eyes looked at by him since he was a specialist. Well low and behold I have something entriely different. I have Vacular Retinal Degenaration and someother eye disease. I am also nearsighted as well. He dilated my eyes and I wa sin his office for over 2 hours. He drew my retina. he told me that I have hole developing in my retina and my retina is thin. Hmm Detachment can happen. Well I ended up having laser surgery that following December. It was on my right eye. It worked I actually saw better which was not expected I think. This was in 91. I again had laser surgery in June of 93 right before I left for Alaska. My eyesight improved again.

I started at first going 2 times a year for about 5 years and now I go once a year. My eyes are stable.

I see what maybe 20/200 without my glasses. My right eye could be legally blind. Before I saw the 2 nd eye doctor I was seeing 20/80 to 20/90 with my glasses. I am now seeing close to 20/60 sometimes I can see the 20/50 line. But I am classified as 20/60. Before I got my license I was told I was going to be restricted to no driving in the rain at night. Well when I got my license it was no night driving and no driving over 45 mph. Oh Crap I thought I was not excited to have a license I was pissed.

Well I got contacts in 96 and i got my restrictions off. The contacts helped. I saw 20/40 They were then put back on in 99? My eyes have not gotten that much better it just depends on the day. Well I got contacts again and nothing happened. Last time I went to the eye doctor about a year and a half ago (I need to go back soon this is the longest I have gone without going) I got the no 45 mph off,

I have to wear glasses all the time. I take my glasses off to read because of my nearsightedness. So because of that I cannot get Lasik. I wish I could well I can but I will lose theability to see up close which my doctor told me I probably not want to lose that.

I recommend anyone considering please do so. Eyesight is so important. I can only dream of seeing 20/20 but I am happy I can see. I won't go blind but my eyesight will get worse when I am in my 40s.

But with science and technology many thing are going to happen so I am excited about the future.

One of my goals is to make a foundation in search of a cure or treatment of my eye disease. But I have yet to do so. I have other things taking up my time.

I wish not to have to sit in the front of the class or make people sit where I have to. But that day will come when I will see 20/20

Congrats Cali I hope for the best for you.

KingPriest2
11-30-2004, 12:19 PM
any update?

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 12:40 PM
My wife wants to do this. Even though my vision is worse, we're negotiating a deal right now. We get her the Lasik surgery, and I keep my glasses and get to take a trip to the Amazon.

Phobia
11-30-2004, 12:42 PM
My wife wants to do this. Even though my vision is worse, we're negotiating a deal right now. We get her the Lasik surgery, and I keep my glasses and get to take a trip to the Amazon.

Having met both of you, my advice is predictable.

Steal her glasses and replace them with some weak prescription crap from Wal-mart. Tell her that Lasik has been outlawed.

That is, unless you want to grow old(er) alone.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Ooh. Good point.

Or maybe I could just wear some wax paper over my face to soften the image. That way, I could still go to Brazil.

BIG_DADDY
11-30-2004, 12:55 PM
Everyone I know who has had this done was really glad they did. Now you will get to see how really ugly I am.

Jenny Gump
11-30-2004, 01:22 PM
Now they will measure your dipoters and corneal thickness. My was a total of 8 on the diopters and around 495-505 of the thickness of the cornea.

You have amazing dipoters.

sevenand7kc
11-30-2004, 01:31 PM
Can a person actually be put under for Lasik? I fall under the category of being a pansy when it comes to my eyes.

Is that even a possibility? Like having my wisdom teeth removed - get the IV and then wake up later with it all done.

Rain Man
11-30-2004, 02:03 PM
You have amazing dipoters.

Eh. He's had work done. It's not like they're natural.

dtebbe
11-30-2004, 08:24 PM
Much to my dismay the wife says Lasik is the best thing I've ever given her for her birthday... :(

DT