PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Warfield?

WarPaint
08-22-2000, 06:45 PM
By the end of last year Warfield showed a lot of natural athleticism and in the offseason most fans felt that he would challenge for the starting role. What happened to him? Did Shaw implement a new system that he can't get a handle on? Are the safeties not coming over and helping? Were we merely blinded by our hopes?

Mike
08-22-2000, 06:50 PM
I haven't seen him play yet this year (radio only http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif), but I imagine it has a lot to do with our hoping for too much. He seemed to hold a lot last year, and was burned a lot too (anyone remember TB?). I hope he becomes the elite CB we need, but at the same time I'm, a little doubtful. Still, a 3rd or 4th CB would be great from a 7th round pick.

WarPaint
08-22-2000, 06:58 PM
We've been spoiled a bit with our CB's over the last decade. Even though Carter was a bit of an annoyance he was pretty good when he wanted.

So far I'm not too impressed with what Shaw has put out there. I hope Al Davis didn't get the best of us.

Mike
08-22-2000, 06:59 PM
I agree with you there. I can remember quite a few people getting on jq's case about his Shaw comments, when he seemed to have been right on the money.

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 08:00 PM
I still think Warfield will step up and may even start this year. Gun's comments today suggest that he hasn't settled on Dishman as a starter just yet. Personally, I would like to see Warfield thrown in and see what he can do against Indy. Surely he represents the future more than Dishman.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 08:19 PM
I hope to Jehovah that he hasn't settled on Dish. Of all the Chiefs I've watched this preseason, Dish is BY FAR the most disappointing.

------------------
Parker

[i]It is no coincidence that fascism is often referred to as a "reactionary movement".</I>

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 08:22 PM
I agree. I think Dish was brought in to replace Carter and basically stop the bleeding. I really think replacing him should've been a top priority in FA. I think CP and Gun really thought Warfield would be ready to start. I still think it's about 50/50 who'll get the nod on Sept. 3rd.

------------------
AZChief

Remember Kansas City's hero, Joe Delaney #37.

HankStram
08-22-2000, 08:26 PM
I would rather see Warfield and Hasty start with Highway 26 at nickel. Warfield has shown flashes of brilliance at times and just needs a little more time under fire IMHO.

------------------
Some days you eat the Bear...some days the Bear eats you....

chiefsfan58
08-22-2000, 08:28 PM
This is the major area that has me concerned. I hope we get lucky and someone decent hits the wire. (Not betting the farm on it) You can bet Carl is watching it every minute.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 08:28 PM
Highway 26?

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

That is freaking hilarious!

------------------
Parker

[i]It is no coincidence that fascism is often referred to as a "reactionary movement".</I>

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 08:31 PM
Nice one, robhonda...I think you've nailed it...from now on he's Highway 26 (I-26?)

------------------
AZChief

Remember Kansas City's hero, Joe Delaney #37.

Mike
08-22-2000, 09:07 PM
I don't think ROBHONDA can take credit for that. I'm pretty sure that was his nickname in Washington.

ddpatterson
08-22-2000, 10:46 PM
Something that people say about corners is that they have to have a short memory. I think that this may be Warfield's problem. He just can't seemto forget the last play in which he got burned, so he loses his confidence, and his performance declines further.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

Cannibal
08-22-2000, 11:04 PM
Q: Eric Warfield is a great athlete but are you satisfied with his progress ?

CUNNINGHAM: "I think I am. He's one of those guys I'm on every day. You have to be tough on ‘em and you have to challenge them. He's got the ability to play and what I want to see in his character and demeanor is he wants to be the starter. When he shows me that that's what he's going to be. It don't think it's confidence. It's something in his background. He's been a back- up player as a safety at Nebraska then finally started. This guy has more tools than most guys I've seen in the league. It's more maturity level -- character maturity level that I'm battling with him. It's not necessarily the on-the-field stuff."
http://www.kcchiefs.com/latest/mainnews.asp?storyID=1607&cat=4&showLatest=yes