PDA

View Full Version : If frogs had machine guns?

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 04:26 PM
What if questions can get beat to death...but I'll start one anyway. What if we really suck bad this year. Sub .500, type suck. Will we see changes in our coaching staff next season? Will carl make the moves...will Gun? Will Gun be around to make any moves? Will Gun stick by his coaches? I for one believe Gun is loyal to a fault. I believe Gun and Carl will be here. My opinion anyway.

------------------
~Duckaholic~
[i]Shoot 'em in the lips</I>

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 04:38 PM
Anyone care?

------------------
~Duckaholic~

chiefsfan58
08-22-2000, 05:12 PM
Duck Dog: If forgs had machine guns, I would be A LOT more careful when I was out fishing! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-22-2000, 05:14 PM
If frogs had machine guns, I would bring it to Gore's attention 'cuz something needs to be done about that....

chiefsfan58
08-22-2000, 05:16 PM
Phil: Good point........I wonder what the NRA would have to say regarding the issue? http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Mike
08-22-2000, 05:17 PM
If we "really suck bad this year" I would hope that we would make a head coaching change, depending on the reasons for our failure of course. I know it sounds awfully impatient (and Al Davis-like) to can a HC after only two years, but I would be a lot more accepting if we had a HC who was taking steps in the right direction. I'm still not sure Gunther's capable of being a HC in the 00's. In the 50's he would have been great, but now...?

[This message has been edited by G_Man (edited 08-22-2000).]

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-22-2000, 05:18 PM
If Frogs had machine guns, I don't think Louie would be quite as outspoken in the swamp....

htismaqe
08-22-2000, 05:21 PM
I hate to even think about this, but what if Gun went to Carl at the beginning of this year (last year?) and said, "I've got a vision of what I want this team to be, but we're staffed wrong and it will take me a few years to get to where we need to be. We may have a down year or two in rthe meantime."

If Carl bought into the idea and said "go ahead", do you still think it would be right to fire Gun?

Luz
there are so many things we don't know...

chiefsfan58
08-22-2000, 05:27 PM
Duck Dog: to answer your original question...... IMHO it's put up, or shut up time for several players and the coaches.

~Let the test begin Sept 3rd~

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-22-2000, 05:38 PM
I really doubt the KC organization would be hasty in terminating Gun or anyone else. It just doesn't happen.... Additionally, it's WAY too early to start thinking about that, IMHO.

milkman
08-22-2000, 06:39 PM
It seems to be the concensus of most of us (myself included), that Raye, Shottenheimer and Stock are NOT up to the job, have never been up to the job, and will likely never be up to the job. Yet they are all still here, managing a lackluster offense, porous defense and shoddy special teams. At what point does Gun start to take the heat for keeping these bums on the payroll? I like Gun, but detest the Three Stooges (I should copyright that). But if things don't change soon (and judging by our current level of play, it won't), I won't like Gun much longer.

I hate to sound this pessimistic, but I don't have the same good feeling I did a couple of weeks ago. We start the season against two of the best teams in the league, and unless our guys step up we will get slaughtered. I don't want the San Diego game I'm attending on Sep. 18 to be our first legitimate shot at a win.

Maybe I'll feel beter after the Tampa game, but I said that last week about the Jacksonville game.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 10:08 PM
Tim - I agree. I am not one to predict (it is a waste of time, and the ones that are right are lucky, IMO), but the outlook does not look as bright as it did last year. If we are not in the playoffs this year, I will be screaming for asst coaching changes at the least.

Mosbonian
08-23-2000, 12:12 AM
Now that we know Carl is going to be back at least we do not have to discuss that aspect.

On Gun, if game planning and altering the game plan when it is not working do not improve then he should be shown the door, IMO.

I believe we have been too patient on the assistant coaches. Unless the regular season brings major changes, then they must go. If it is Carls' fault that they are still with us then Gun should have the nads for an ultimatum, and if he is not allowed to replace them he should resign and announce the reason.

Everything else can wait, even a losing season is acceptable if major progress is made by Gun and the coordinators. I am impatiently watching.
http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/confused.gif

------------------
Jim Reynolds

Please no squiggles in my discussion zone!

AustinChief
08-23-2000, 07:10 AM
I don't think there is anyway possible for Carl to fire Gun. Carl is too stubborn to admit he may have made the wrong choice. On the other hand Gun is too loyal to fire his coaches. IF..big if...we go sub .500, Gun will be here still. But...two years sub .500...he's as good as gone. IMO, Raye will be gone next season...or at the least moved to a job within the organization where he isn't allowed access to players or play books. Like copy boy.

------------------
~Duckaholic~

htismaqe
08-23-2000, 07:49 AM
For some reason, Bob Dole has convinced himself that Carl has asked Gun to keep the Stooges around (maybe because they have pictures of Carl with a farm animal or something...) Bob Dole hopes it was not Gun's decision alone--because Bob Dole feels it was a bad one.

Given that, I think Gun could be a much-better-than-average HC given the proper support staff. The staff he has now, IBDHO, is not that staff. If they bite the big one this year and it was solely Gun's decision to keep the Stooges, then they all should hit the road. If it was not Gun's decision to keep them around for this season, then Bob Dole would like to see what Gun could do with a decent staff.

ddpatterson
08-23-2000, 07:54 AM
I agree with Bob Dole. Of course, if it ever came out that Carl was definately the one responsible for the retention of The Three Stooges, the CP bashers would just add that to their ever growing list.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>

Mike
08-23-2000, 02:14 PM
I think they're kept around just because they sound good with "Gun."

Raye-Gun
Schott-Gun
Gun-Stock?

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-23-2000, 02:18 PM
LOL - I hadn't considered that....

milkman
08-23-2000, 06:13 PM
So if Raye, Schottenheimer and Stock are the Three Stooges, which is which?

My vote is:

Raye = Moe
Stock = Larry
Schottenheimer = Curly

I guess Marty could be Shemp.

ddpatterson
08-23-2000, 06:22 PM
I've always looked at as,
Raye=Moe
Schott=Larry
Stock=Curly Joe
None of these guys could hold Curly's jock strap. he was a (comedic) genius.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up, it ain't nothin' but a thang.</I>

Mike
08-23-2000, 07:15 PM
Gunther should give them one of those triple slaps. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif Maybe it'd knock some sense into them.

TheFly
08-23-2000, 07:27 PM
I wonder how much Coach's pay factors into our current staff.Gun certainly is not the highest paid coach in the league,and I would venture to say there are Assistant coaches out there making more money than Gun.It would be hard to hire a top coordinator if his salary demands were more than the HC is already making.Any thoughts?

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-23-2000, 10:34 PM
Yes. I've seen pay scales for coordinators and only the very top ones get much more than $200k per year. The jump from coordinator to HC means at least $.5 mill per year raise. I don't think that's a factor at all.

Duck Dog
08-23-2000, 10:35 PM
IBDHO ???

gh4chiefs
08-23-2000, 11:30 PM
If frogs had guns I wouldn't mind as long as they are registered. And had those safety lock thingies. (Hey - like yer handle, Duck Dog!)

Yosef_Malkovitch
08-23-2000, 11:32 PM
In Bob Dole's Humble Opinion.