PDA

View Full Version : Are 5 consecutive losses enough?

sd4chiefs
08-24-2000, 02:32 PM
I've heard all the arguments. This is preseason, Gunther doesn't game plan, we are evaluating players, etc. However, five consecutive losses dating back to the December 26th game against Seattle is enough! Winning is an attitude and I don't want our players getting in the habit of accepting less. I realize tomorrow is yet another exhibition game, yet another opportunity to evaluate young talent, and not life or death. However, I think it's time for someone, whether the first string or third, to step up and get us a win.

Losing brings me down and six in a row can't be good for the soul!

------------------
AZChief

Remember Kansas City's hero, Joe Delaney #37.

wutamess
08-24-2000, 02:42 PM
Just remember... it is physically impossible for the Chiefs to lose the home opener. So don't get too worried. There is no way in the world with all that is riding on that game that the Chiefs would lose, even if Indy had the advantage of having three extra players on the field, it wouldn't happen. We are going to win, oh yes we will.

sd4chiefs
08-24-2000, 03:55 PM
Are you guys in denial or just not concerned yet?

AZ

chiefqueen
08-24-2000, 03:57 PM
AZ, like i eluded to earlier.....way to many butterflies this year!!

wutamess
08-24-2000, 04:10 PM
I am not sure actually. I would really like to just see how they play against Indiana though. I think that would be a good indication of thier potential. Now if they consistantly play up to thier potential for the rest of the year is a different story. But hasn't that been the case for the past 10 years, they play really well against the difficult teams, but only play marginal against the teams that tend to have less than perfect records???

chiefqueen
08-24-2000, 04:17 PM
I'd have to say my top 5 concerns at this point are
1.defense backfield
2.stoyo
3.rbbc
4.coaching
5.grbac ( i back him.. but he sure makes me nervous sometimes)

ColoradoChief
08-24-2000, 04:18 PM
AZ,

I share your concerns. I don't want to be overly alarmed or sound terribly negative, but I'm not seeing much that gives me real confidence that we will be serious contenders this year. For one thing we have a tough schedule, for another I think we've lost some very key players such as DT, Tongue. I just don't know enough about players such as Lew Bush or Duane Clemmons to feel confident about them.

But I'm not giving up, I'm chomping at the bit for the regular season. I'm really anxious to see this team on the field.

wutamess
08-24-2000, 04:22 PM
I agree with everything but the RBBC. It suck because it is sooooooo boring, but we get the yards we need from those guys. And if Raye lightens things up this year and does a few loopty-loop presto changeups, we could be a very effective offense. Unfortunately, I think the whole reason they did that last year was because they were scared Grback was going to get broken so they kept it on the ground as much as possible.

The Blessed Virgin Larry
08-24-2000, 04:22 PM
Bishop,
Don't hold your breath on the home opener thing. I know we have history on our side with home openers. The Chiefs have one of the best HOME Opening Day winning % in the NFL. Here's some BAD history though - What's our record against Indy??? At home or away they seem to always beat us - even when we have the better team and we know that we don't this year. Manning and the Colts are a very poised group and their good and that is a bad combination to be up against week 1. IF we are to falter in a home opener any time soon, I'd bet it's THIS YEAR to the COLTS. IF we win it, I'll be convinced that ARROWHEAD is magical. *grin*

wutamess
08-24-2000, 04:24 PM
Oh, I have NO DOUBT, that Arrowhead is magical... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

ColoradoChief
08-24-2000, 04:25 PM
In all fairness, I forgot to add that I had this same uneasy feeling in 97. And we know how that season turned out, perhaps the best Chiefs team of the Peterson/Schottenheimer era. So maybe this is omen of good things to come.

[This message has been edited by gh4chiefs (edited 08-24-2000).]

wutamess
08-24-2000, 04:27 PM
Good lord, how do I get rid of this stupid lurker tag. I feel like a freshman in high school again.

chiefqueen
08-24-2000, 04:31 PM
I agree, i think the game against Indy could go a long way in helping us establish some kind of identity to this team.....at this point it is surely lacking

i truely wonder how dt not being there is costing this team!!!!

b-squared
08-25-2000, 08:15 AM
Losing can become a way of life. Last preseason we were 1-3 (as I recall) and stumbled into the season with the Bears and got stomped. Anyone remember that fine game? Well I fear the Chiefs and the three Moes maybe ready to fall into this trap again. They have been flat all preseason and I fear it maybe game 2-3 before we can bring the intensity up to where it needs to be. It seems like each year we sputter at first then catch our stride and the fade at the end.

Is it just me or anyone else agree?

BIG_DADDY
08-25-2000, 08:58 AM
I don't have too much of a problem with the performance in either the Titans or the Jaguars game. These two teams are the cream of the crop (along with Indy), when it comes to the AFC. Preseason doesn't mean jack **** and you should know it. What hapened last year after we went 1-3 in preseason? Well, we ended up controlling our own destiny and were in a position to take the West in the last two games. I do have a problem with those losses, but the preseason games from 99 had NOTHING to do with them.

If you want to say the Bears debacle came from the preseason of '99 go ahead. I say it came from a panicking Jimmy Raye who tossed the game strategy out the window as soon as we were down and tried to air ball back into the lead when we still had 3.5 quarters to play. If we had stuck to the run offense we would have mowed them down.

------------------
EJJ

Devin Vierth
08-25-2000, 09:03 AM
Remember, this is probably the one of the toughest pre-season schedules in a long time. 3 of the 4 teams that played in the AFC and NFC title games. Granted the 49ers should not be mentioned in the same breath, but pre-season is for evaluation of talent and working in specific situations.

not worried yet.

------------------
bk

BIG_DADDY
08-25-2000, 09:08 AM
The Donks were 3-2 in preseason last year. As I recall at least one of those losses was a big lead until their scrubs blew the game in the second half. Impact on their 6-10 season? Nada, zero, zilch, not a damn thing.

Raiderhater
08-25-2000, 09:27 AM
Maybe I dont understand this, but how does one 'evaluate' talent when you are unsuccessful on the field?

Seems to me if you can't manage to score in the redzone, how do you know whether or not you have the talent to do it?

If your defense doesnt tackle, is this for evaluation purposes, to see who can run the fastest to catch the breakaway RB? I guess I dont get this.

[This message has been edited by KCTitus (edited 08-25-2000).]

wutamess
08-25-2000, 09:29 AM
Good point, we are assuming that they actually play differently, or not %100, when it is pre season because they are being evaluated? This really doesn't make much sense...

[This message has been edited by bishop_74 (edited 08-25-2000).]

Devin Vierth
08-25-2000, 09:44 AM
One can evaluate talent by looking at the game films on individual effort and ability, instead of looking at the overall picture. Even though the offense might have not done much, did the o-lineman make the correct block for the play and ect.. Did the receivers correctly run the routes they were supposed to?? Did the running backs follow the blockers or did see the seam and hit the hole. Things like this can be used to evaluate the talent a team may have.

------------------
bk

wutamess
08-25-2000, 09:47 AM
...but this being the case, wouldn't the team be more effective if they were performing thier jobs correctly? My point being, if everyone did thier jobs correctly, even if they were being evaluated on an individual basis, the team should be effective in scoring on offense, or preventing scores on defense.

Devin Vierth
08-25-2000, 09:55 AM
"...but this being the case, wouldn't the team be more effective if they were performing thier jobs correctly? My point being, if everyone did thier jobs correctly, even if they were being evaluated on an individual basis, the team should be effective in scoring on offense, or preventing scores on defense."

I think it is quite eveident that everyone hasn't done their like they should have. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

I don't believe this to be totally true in regards to the ol this preseason. 3/5ths of our starting line from last year has played how much of the pre-season. I believe they are using the opportunity to determine who the subs are going to be on the ol.

On defense, I think there is more of a 'team' fault here. If there is a breakdown by just player, the play can result in a TD for the opponent.

This response may have shed a little light, but probably not.

------------------
bk

BIG_DADDY
08-25-2000, 10:04 AM
what a load! I can't believe some of you think preseason standings mean anything.

Here are teams with winning preseason standings:

San Diego 3-0
Denver 3-0
Atlanta 4-1
Chicago 2-1
Pittsburgh 3-1
Buffalo 3-1

I expect most of these teams to have losing seasons. Your telling me that these preseason standing are good predictors of the regular season though. Guess I better take those odds for the Chargers to win the SB. Yea right!

Devin Vierth
08-25-2000, 10:06 AM
KC:

No, you should place you bets on the Donks. We all know last year was an aberation. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
bk

Raiderhater
08-25-2000, 10:18 AM
I, for one, dont really care about our record, but I do care about going through the preseason winless and looking listless.

I comfort myself with the thoughts that 'this is not our offense/defense, we're evaluating talent', but Im having a hard time convincing myself because our team has a bad history of failing to show up for games. Especially big games.

After it happens 4 times in a row, I get nervous thinking it could develop into a bad habit.<P>

sd4chiefs
08-25-2000, 03:12 PM
This wasn't intended to be a "the sky is falling post, the sky is falling" post. However, How many of you think with our first stringers playing we could win two of the next three games? @ Tampa, Indy and @ Tennessee...that is a brutal schedule! I'd be please if we could win one of the three. Obvioulsy, I'm assuming that the tampa game isn't preseaon. I know it's worthless...

I need to be reconvinced that the Chiefs are an elite team in the NFL.

AZ