PDA

View Full Version : If The Royals Somehow Are Serious Contenders For The Playoffs...

AJKCFAN
04-04-2003, 03:08 PM
Do they hold on to Beltran or trade him for a promising young player who can come to KC right away + 2-3 "can't miss prospects" at other needs?

IMO, as much as I love Beltran, if the right deal comes along, CYA Carlos.

Guess the question here is... if the Royals became winners, would that cause Beltran to reconsider leaving or woill $$$ talk?

With Boras as his agent, $$$ will talk...

keg in kc
04-04-2003, 03:20 PM
It's up to Beltran, not us, because we're not going to give in to his contract demands regardless of the record. 3-years, $25 million wasn't enough to play for a loser. Maybe he'll decide winning is enough to lower the price tag. Then again, maybe not.

Kinda getting the cart before the horse, though. Let's ask this question again a month from now.

DeepSouth
04-05-2003, 08:41 AM
Since they've proven that they can win without Beltan, I don't really care what they do with him. I'm more concerned about having a leadoff hitter that can't hit Even if Beltran returns, they'll move Tucker to right and the leadoff situation is not solved.

I wasn't too crazy about Tucker before this year. I actully thought he might not even make the team before Spring Training started. Since he had a decent Spring, I was thinking that maybe he'll be alright. He hasn't shown me that yet.

Ideally, it'd be great to trade Beltran for a leadoff hitter that plays center field (as if anyone would let one of those guys go). Platoon Brown/Berger in right. Release Tucker and bring Patterson back from Omaha.

Just dreaming....................

Chris Meck
04-07-2003, 01:57 PM
NO. You've got to keep your young stars.

It's nice that we're winning without him, but Beltran is a rare talent and you don't build a winner by getting rid of guys like him. (Jermaine Dye, anyone?)

Nobody's gonna get rid of a good lead-off hitter. You're going to have to develop one-either with what you've got or from the minors.

But Beltran is a top notch center fielder, good RBI guy, and good power bat. And he's what, 25? No, you need to keep that guy if at all possible. Somewhere along the line, this young staff is going to have some rough outings as do all pitchers-and then you're going to need the big bats to get it done.

Chris

Pitt Gorilla
04-07-2003, 11:43 PM
I think we should keep him as well. Hank Blaylock and an outfielder would be nice in return, but right now I think Beltran may be just what this team needs to get it's offense in line with the pitching...