PDA

View Full Version : How much worse can it get?

punkyQB
12-11-2000, 08:55 AM
No, I am not talking about the Chiefs season. I am talking about the baseball salaries. Mike Hampton signs a deal that will pay him 15.5 million dollars a year, for a total worth of 124 million. These salaries are getting outrageous season after season. Those chumps are demanding more and more and it looks like there is no end to it.

http://www.kcstar.com/item/pages/sports.pat,sports/3774fa0b.c10,.html

47mack
12-11-2000, 08:58 AM
He better hope that contract is front loaded because when the contract runs out next October, there's going to be a long strike. Hopefully, this time the owners won't give in and force baseball to have a salary cap and revenue sharing.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

DIEHARDCHIEF
12-11-2000, 09:05 AM
Last week I was watching Sportscenter and one of the hosts was talking to Peter Gammons about all of the high priced free agents, their demands, and their wish list of teams. The host pointed out to Gammons that the "wish lists" included the same 5 teams (NYY, NYM, Texas, Atlanta, and LA)> Gammons laughed and said something like, "Well we know the Royals aren't going to be in the running!" At that they both had a little chuckle and finished the piece.

I find this extremely depressing and in need of immediate remedy. I don't know what I'll do if the Yankoffs win another World Series ...GAAAAAAGG.

ChannonChief
12-11-2000, 09:56 AM
A-Rod signs for 12 years an $240 million.
Baseball is going to kill itself

Kurt Surber
12-11-2000, 10:31 AM
Thanks for the info Bricky. I have a good friend who swore to never watch another paid athletic endeavor, whether in person or on television, for life if A-Rod got his 10-year, 200-mill demand.
This from a guy who shares season tickets in hockey, football, and baseball. He also hosts the super bowl, world series, all-star games, etc.
Can't wait to hold him to his pledge.

47mack
12-11-2000, 10:34 AM
I can't for this jerk to tell some reporter that "it wasn't about the money".

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Devin Vierth
12-11-2000, 10:40 AM
Sorry, I didn't realize this topic was about the same thig I just posted on!

Spott
12-11-2000, 11:35 AM
I've been a lifelong baseball and Royals fan and the state of the game currently breaks my heart. It's such a beautiful game, full of simplicity and complexity. Alas the powers that be are killing the goose with no apparent reguard for something bigger than they.

At this point the best solution I can see is to lift the anti-trust exemption. This would allow the smaller teams (Royals, Pirates, Expos, etc) to form their own league. The big boys could play each other and compete for the same starts. The smaller league would be 2nd class unfortunately in terms of talent but at least it would be competitive.

As it is the World Series has become the Yankee invitational. That can't contiue, but I don't see an end anytime soon.

AustinChief
12-11-2000, 12:19 PM
Chuck - Actually, it is much easier to solve than that, with no disruption of the leagues.

Merely have the small markets charge the large markets 50% of what they are earning in television revenues to play in their parks. If the Yanks get 1 mil from their affiliate for one game, then they must pay the Royal .5 mil to allow their cameras on the field.

Forced revenue sharing is possible, but must be done with men of fortitude. I am hoping that Glass is one of those men.

Spott
12-11-2000, 12:32 PM
Wolf,

Not a bad idea but it would seem unworkable.

1. The Steinbrenners of the league would never agree to it.
2. Citing ratings, the stations would simply not cover Royals-Yankee games. Thus short-ciruting the new revenue stream.