PDA

View Full Version : Royals Report: Hernandez set to return/Greinke to make first AA start

tk13
07-09-2003, 01:36 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6260731.htm

Royals Report: Hernandez tentatively set to return Friday
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

ANAHEIM, Calif. - For Runelvys Hernandez, Friday's game at Texas shapes up as a second opening day.

Barring further setbacks, Hernandez will rejoin the rotation that night after an absence of nearly two months.

"I can't wait," he said. "I'm ready. And I'm going to pitch well."

Hernandez started on opening day -- and beat the White Sox 3-0 -- but he hasn't pitched in the majors since inflammation near his right elbow forced him to the disabled list after a May 14 outing against the Twins.

The elbow actually began bothering Hernandez a few starts earlier and contributed to three straight losses after he opened the season at 4-0 with a 1.36 ERA in April.

Hernandez then encountered further problems after making a rehab start June 1 for Class AAA Omaha, Neb., and again after pitching June 20 and June 25 for Class AA Wichita.

But now, he insists, he's healthy and ready to rejoin the rotation.

"It's been like watching your team on TV even though you're there," he said. "It's been hard, but you can't do anything until you get healthy."

Randa still out

Third baseman Joe Randa said his strained left oblique feels better, but manager Tony Pena isn't expecting him to return to the lineup until after the All-Star break.

"Joe is moving around better," Pena said. "But I know how long that injury can take. So, I'll say after the break. Maybe sooner, but I'm not counting on it."

Randa hasn't played since the injury forced him to leave last Wednesday's game against Cleveland in the first inning.

"Moving around isn't a problem," he said. "The problem is this injury prevents me from doing a lot of baseball things. Each day, I do a little more and see how it reacts.

"But it doesn't benefit me to go out and try to play at 70 percent right now."

Looking for help

The Royals have interest in Baltimore reliever B.J. Ryan as a left-handed addition to their bullpen.

Ryan, 27, is 3-0 with a 5.76 ERA this season in 38 games. But he has a 1.29 ERA against left-handed batters. Ryan is making $762,500 this season and is eligible for arbitration.

The Royals previously tried Scott Mullen, Rick DeHart and Les Walrond as their situational lefty. The three were a combined 0-4 in 13 games with a 12.67 ERA.

Etc.

• Reliever Sean Lowe and his wife, Beth, now have a little brother for daughters Kirsten and Kasey. Jonathan Robert Lowe was born last week.

• Right-hander Zack Greinke makes his first start tonight for Wichita, at Tulsa, after going 11-1 with a 1.14 ERA at Class A Wilmington, Del.

• First baseman Morgan Burkhart is back at Omaha after clearing waivers.

On deck

The Royals and Angels continue their three-game series at 9:05 tonight Central time. Left-hander Jeremy Affeldt, 5-4 with a 4.62 ERA, is scheduled to oppose former Royals right-hander Kevin Appier, 6-5 and 4.97.

Affeldt allowed six runs and 10 hits in four innings in losing his only previous game against the Angels. Appier is 4-0 with a 5.40 ERA in four career starts against the Royals.