PDA

View Full Version : Royals Report 7/14 - Relaford healing/post All-Star Break rotation

tk13
07-14-2003, 02:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/6297210.htm

Royals Report: Relaford hopes All-Star break allows sore wrist to heal
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

ARLINGTON, Texas - Desi Relaford hopes to be a switch hitter again when the Royals return from the All-Star break.

He stopped batting right-handed July 2 because of pain in his left wrist.

"I'm going to wait until I feel I can do it," Relaford said. "It's still a little sore and when I swing from the right side. It just doesn't feel good, and I'd rather not deal with the discomfort."

As all switch hitters, Relaford gets far more bats as a left-hander during a season -- but it's a far different sensation to bat lefty against a lefty.

"It depends on the pitcher," he said. "But it's tough sometimes because of arm angles and stuff."

On Saturday, Relaford faced Rangers reliever Brian Shouse, a former Royal with a sweeping sidearm delivery that sometimes makes it appear the ball comes to the plate from first base.

"He threw me a ball up and in," Relaford said, "and, honestly, if it was going to hit me, it would have hit me. I couldn't get out of the way.

"I was thinking, `Dude, this is a joke. I don't need to be doing this.' He could have killed me."

Relaford eventually grounded out to short. While he is four for 12 when batting left-handed against lefties, he is far better, at 22 for 53, when facing them from the right side.

"The wrist is getting better," he said. "I've got a lot more mobility. When we come back on Thursday, I'll see what it feels like and go from there."

Rotation plans

Unbeaten Jose Lima is now the club's No. 1 starter if manager Tony Pena's tentative rotation for the resumption of the season is used as a guide.

Lima is scheduled to pitch the first game after the All-Star break -- Thursday against Seattle at Kauffman Stadium. He is 5-0 with a 2.52 ERA in six starts since joining the Royals in mid-June.

Current plans call for Jeremy Affeldt, Darrell May, Runelvys Hernandez and Kyle Snyder to follow Lima in the rotation.

Interest in Gonzalez

Royals officials dismissed rumors last week of a trade sending outfielder Carlos Beltran to the Rangers for outfielder Juan Gonzalez and second baseman Michael Young.

"There would have to be a lot more guys involved than just those two players for Beltran," one club official said.

But the Royals are definitely among the clubs interested in acquiring Gonzalez, a two-time MVP, for their playoff push -- especially if the Rangers are willing to eat the remainder of his $12 million salary.

The key issue is whether the two clubs can agree on what prospects the Royals will surrender. The Twins, Dodgers, Yankees and Giants are also believed to be interested.

General manager Allard Baird labels right-hander Zack Greinke as untouchable in this market and is unlikely to trade left-hander Jimmy Gobble for a short-term acquisition.

Gonzalez, 33, is batting .286 with 23 homers and 66 RBIs. He is eligible for free-agency after the season and has a no-trade clause in his contract, which he used recently to veto a deal to Montreal.

His decision last week to fire agent Jeff Moorad is generally interpreted as an indication of his willingness to accept a trade, and he prefers to remain in the American League in a hitter-friendly park.

Step by step

Manager Tony Pena's confidence does have some limits.

Asked whether he planned to be skippering the American League team next year at the All-Star Game, he observed, "We've got to win the AL Central first. Let's go one step at a time."

The honor of managing in the All-Star Game goes to the previous year's pennant-winning manager in each league.

Come Tuesday, Pena will be watching baseball -- but not the All-Star Game in Chicago. Instead, he will be in the stands to see his son, Tony Jr., play shortstop for Class A Myrtle Beach at Frederick.

On deck

Reliever Mike MacDougal and first baseman Mike Sweeney head to Chicago for Tuesday's All-Star Game at U.S. Cellular Field. The rest of the Royals are off until Thursday, when the club open a six-game home stand with the first of four games against the Seattle Mariners.