PDA

View Full Version : MacDougal works on mechanics

spe725
07-24-2003, 12:10 PM
There's been a few times a pitcher has gotten back on track after a session with Cumberland when he notices something with their mechanics. Hopefully, he'll be good to go.

07/24/2003 12:57 PM ET
KC notes: MacDougal's mechanics
By Robert Falkoff / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- At 9:58 a.m. on Thursday, Mike MacDougal was already in the bullpen getting a mechanics lesson.

Pitching coach John Cumberland was there. So was manager Tony Peņa. Cumberland believes he has spotted a mechanics flaw which has made MacDougal's last three appearances a struggle at best. Kansas City's All-Star closer has had two blown saves since the break and couldn't finish off Minnesota in the ninth Wednesday after entering the game with an 8-1 lead.

"When he gets over the rubber, he's kind of leaning forward and he's already committing himself," Cumberland said. "He needs to stay back. He's rushing when he does that. The front side comes flying open so he's not getting the angle for the arm release. I see it very plainly."

Cumberland had planned to further analyze MacDougal's recent delivery on tape Thursday, but the video machine at the Metrodome wasn't working. The video homework will be done in Detroit where the Royals will open a three-game series Friday night.

MacDougal allowed two hits and two walks Wednesday night while throwing just 10 strikes in 28 pitches. He also made a wild pitch that didn't come close to catcher Mike DiFelice.

"I think he's putting too much pressure on himself," Cumberland said. "He'll be OK. There are just a couple of things we have to get straightened out."

spe725
08-04-2003, 07:29 AM
I think they've got him straightened out for the time being. His last two outings have been unbelievable. Especially Saturday night... he was throwing 97, 98, 99 for strikes every time. When he was wild earlier this year he couldn't get those fastballs over for strikes consistently. But the best part was striking out the side getting all 3 guys looking at the nasty, 88 mph slurve.

Oxford
08-05-2003, 02:42 PM
Cumberland is an unsung hero for the way he has worked with this staff. Dave Duncan gets all the ink for whatever he does with the Cardinals (it sure isn't keeping them off the D/L), but Cumberland wins my vote.

Now if he can just get Grimsley to throw something other than an 94 mph sinker out of the strike zone. A change-up (palm ball, knuckle curve, fosh ball..........) ANYTHING!!!!