PDA

View Full Version : Golic and Salisbury on Gonzo/Chiefs

htismaqe
08-27-2003, 07:18 AM
They were talking about injuries and, of course, got to Tony. They were saying that the Chiefs could ill afford to lose Tony, since he and Priest are their two main receivers and Priest is already coming off an injury.

Salisbury went off on a tangent for a bit and mentioned Jeremy Shockey. He said for all of the hype, the race for best TE in the league isn't even close...Tony G is a REAL stud, and the only guy close to him is Todd Heap.

They then went on to say what is really disappointing. We can't afford to lose Tony because we're going to have to score 40 points a game again to win. Golic just simply said (just like yesterday's 2-a-day) that our defense stinks. Salisbury said "They did pick up Holliday and Barber" and Golic again said simply "They stink." They then both said that it's going to be another season of 41-38 games...

the Talking Can
08-27-2003, 07:21 AM
Golic likes little boys

TRR
08-27-2003, 07:23 AM
If they can't see the improvement our Defense has made even in the Preseason, then I'm not sure if anything can help them.

Salisbury is the same guy who had the Eagles missing the playoffs, but Denver going to the Super Bowl. LOL!!

Lzen
08-27-2003, 07:24 AM
Eh, Golic is a former Raider. He can't bring himself to say much of anything good about the Chiefs. That's okay, keep fuggin' doubting the Chiefs. :fire:

BigChiefFan
08-27-2003, 07:26 AM
These guys get paid for their OPINIONS.It's not like they actually know who's going to win it all or anything.Hey let's base all our info.on last year's news.You'll see them all change their tune as the season progresses.

Coogs
08-27-2003, 07:27 AM
RamRod,

Did you get the tape yet?

tomahawk kid
08-27-2003, 07:28 AM
These guys get paid for their OPINIONS.It's not like they actually know who's going to win it all or anything.Hey let's base all our info.on last year's news.You'll see them all change their tune as the season progresses.

Exactly. I listened to those two a bit this morning as well. Those guys should just go by A$$clown 1 and A$$clown 2 on the air......

ClearmontChief
08-27-2003, 07:34 AM
Once again, it's East Coast bias. Nobody really pays attention to what's going on in Kansas City except us. Last year's defense 'stunk', however, Golic needs to upgrade his notes. Sims has been a force in the pre-season, and his presense has freed up a number of sacks from both Holliday and Truluck. The addition of Barber along with Fujita have drastically increased the speed of our Linebackers. Woods & Wesley are great at the safety positions. Then we get to our Corners, the achilles heal of this defense...McLeon ain't a pro-bowler, but he's a huge improvement over Bartee and Warfield has looked pretty good. Then, Bartee's got to be an improvement as a nickel over last year.

NaptownChief
08-27-2003, 07:46 AM
Eh, Golic is a former Raider. He can't bring himself to say much of anything good about the Chiefs. That's okay, keep fuggin' doubting the Chiefs. :fire:

He was a Eagle....His brother Bob was the Raider and a Brown

siberian khatru
08-27-2003, 07:49 AM
Golic is wrong. Our corners stink. Our front 7 is better.

Therefore, we only give up 35 points a game, not 38.

FloridaMan88
08-27-2003, 09:06 AM
Sean Salisbury is a joke. On those team preview segments they do on Sportscenter, where they ask Salisbury for his "bold prediction" he has predicted about every team so far that they will shock the world and go to the Super Bowl.

So far he has like 20 teams going to the Super Bowl.

Nothing like a crappy former player attempting to predict and analyze things.

Baby Lee
08-27-2003, 09:16 AM
Sean Salisbury is a joke. On those team preview segments they do on Sportscenter, where they ask Salisbury for his "bold prediction" he has predicted about every team so far that they will shock the world and go to the Super Bowl.

So far he has like 20 teams going to the Super Bowl.

Nothing like a crappy former player attempting to predict and analyze things.
Yeah, I loved his in-depth explanation of how Chad Pennington's injury to his non-throwing hand wouldn't impede his play all that much.

Lzen
08-27-2003, 09:27 AM
He was a Eagle....His brother Bob was the Raider and a Brown

Oh that's right. I forgot about that. Well, it was his brother. I'm sure there's gotta be some hatred there for him as well. ;)

Taco John
08-27-2003, 09:30 AM
If they can't see the improvement our Defense has made even in the Preseason, then I'm not sure if anything can help them.

:LOL:

suds79
08-27-2003, 10:03 AM
In all honesty I think only our CBs stink. Now how much that'll end up hurting us only time will tell, but everything else IMO pretty strong.

DL- Has played great with pressure
LBs - Are way faster
Safties - Are again solid with the return of Woods

If the CBs can just find a way to play average, with the improved D-line rush, this D can get to about 17th-20th in the league and that's all we need them to do. The offense will take care of the rest.

CHIEF4EVER
08-27-2003, 10:06 AM
Go-Lick (assclown #1) and that loser Salisbury (assclown #2) are definately in the running for the "most clueless about sports" award.

htismaqe
08-27-2003, 10:21 AM
In all honesty I think only our CBs stink. Now how much that'll end up hurting us only time will tell, but everything else IMO pretty strong.

DL- Has played great with pressure
LBs - Are way faster
Safties - Are again solid with the return of Woods

If the CBs can just find a way to play average, with the improved D-line rush, this D can get to about 17th-20th in the league and that's all we need them to do. The offense will take care of the rest.

I've been doing extensive research on this, and I've found that pass defense (especially yards against, which is what we actually ranked 32nd in) is a VERY OVERRATED stat.

The one consistent thing I found about Super Bowl participants over the last 20 years is this:

TOP FIVE RUSH DEFENSE.

The offense has been all over the place -- from St. Louis' monster attack, to Tampa Bay's mediocre one. The pass defense too has been all over the place. Tampa Bay was #1 against the pass, but both Denver and St. Louis were WORSE than 25th.

The only thing they all have in common is that they could stop the run.

If we can stop the run and play offense like we did last year, I honestly don't think our corners will turn out to be the liability everyone thinks they might...

KCTitus
08-27-2003, 10:28 AM
... I honestly don't think our corners will turn out to be the liability everyone thinks they might...

Yes, but then again, you are no genious (chiefsplanet spelling)

MrBlond
08-27-2003, 10:35 AM
Salisbury is the worst. I can't even stand to agree with him.

Golic ,otoh, I like. Even though I disagree with him I like a pundit who puts out there what he thinks. They stink. No ambugity there. Dieons "hot trash".

The ones I don't like is the ones that say: "KCs defense could be much improved. They made some additions. They will need to be better than last year. If they are not improved they will not be better. And not good enough wasnt good enough last year. Thats why they made some additions. because the players they had did not make the playoffs. And if they want to make the playoffs they need to be better. And they might be better. They might be worse. If they are worse than their record will be lower and they will not make the playoffs. Which is what they want to do. Oh yeah, you got to win the battles in the trenches. And play them one game at a time."

htismaqe
08-27-2003, 10:40 AM
Salisbury is the worst. I can't even stand to agree with him.

Golic ,otoh, I like. Even though I disagree with him I like a pundit who puts out there what he thinks. They stink. No ambugity there. Dieons "hot trash".

The ones I don't like is the ones that say: "KCs defense could be much improved. They made some additions. They will need to be better than last year. If they are not improved they will not be better. And not good enough wasnt good enough last year. Thats why they made some additions. because the players they had did not make the playoffs. And if they want to make the playoffs they need to be better. And they might be better. They might be worse. If they are worse than their record will be lower and they will not make the playoffs. Which is what they want to do. Oh yeah, you got to win the battles in the trenches. And play them one game at a time."

Agree totally. Mike Golic is one of the best pundits out there, especially on football. Sure his takes are wrong sometimes, but the guy has the balls to put his opinions on the line and he doesn't hedge...

DaWolf
08-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Hey, I'm not gonna disagree with Golic until the defense PROVES it belongs on an NFL field. Preseason is a joke, no one runs their schemes offensively or defensively, it's mostly vanilla and evaluation. When the real bullets fly, if I see a marked improvement, then I'll give them credit for being better...

htismaqe
08-27-2003, 10:54 AM
Hey, I'm not gonna disagree with Golic until the defense PROVES it belongs on an NFL field. Preseason is a joke, no one runs their schemes offensively or defensively, it's mostly vanilla and evaluation. When the real bullets fly, if I see a marked improvement, then I'll give them credit for being better...

True dat.

WisChief
08-27-2003, 12:01 PM
When we hold SD to less than 300 total yards and 14 points I'll start to think this defense doesn't stink. Right now, as mentioned by DaWolf , this defense does stink. Stinks to high heaven. Stuff LT next week and then lets see what Golickhisballs says.

Mr. Laz
02-06-2005, 01:09 PM
I've been doing extensive research on this, and I've found that pass defense (especially yards against, which is what we actually ranked 32nd in) is a VERY OVERRATED stat.

The one consistent thing I found about Super Bowl participants over the last 20 years is this:

TOP FIVE RUSH DEFENSE.

The offense has been all over the place -- from St. Louis' monster attack, to Tampa Bay's mediocre one. The pass defense too has been all over the place. Tampa Bay was #1 against the pass, but both Denver and St. Louis were WORSE than 25th.

The only thing they all have in common is that they could stop the run.

If we can stop the run and play offense like we did last year, I honestly don't think our corners will turn out to be the liability everyone thinks they might...

against the Run
RK Team ___________ YPG
6. New England Patriot 98.3
12. Kansas City Chiefs 114.6
16. Philadelphia Eagles 118.9

against the pass
RK Team ____________ YPG
12. Philadelphia Eagles.. 200.8
17. New England Patriot 212.5
32. Kansas City Chiefs.. 262.7

Overall
RK Team ___________ YPG _ PPG