PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Chiefs historical moment?

Montana Magic
10-02-2003, 10:05 PM
One you witnessed either via the airwaves or in person at Arrowhead...or even Municipal Stadium, if you are really that old.

Rukdafaidas
10-02-2003, 10:08 PM
One you witnessed either via the airwaves or in person at Arrowhead...or even Municipal Stadium, if you are really that old.
Has to be the Montana Mile High comeback. I got to watch it with some Bronco fans.

|Zach|
10-02-2003, 10:10 PM
This is tough, now remember I am a young guy so I am going based on stuff I have experienced.

Chiefs win over Pittsburgh in the playoffs at Arrowhead.

I believe that is one of the best games I have ever seen at Arrowhead (I go to a lot of them) Between the blocked punt and Montana getting that TD right in my corner. That was very special.

I went to Houston and saw them beat the Oilers.

That was lots of fun. Keith Cash going long on Buddy Ryan's defense. Shocking a team that had a first round bye.

The domination of the Rams the past few years.

I detest the Rams and their "fans"

Grbac to Rison to beat the Raiders on Monday Night.

I don't think I have gone so nuts from one single play.

Montana Magic
Has to be the Montana Mile High comeback. I got to watch it with some Bronco fans.

That is too funny. Can you describe what you were feeling during that game and what you said during and after?

RealSNR
Obviously the most famous play 65 Toss Power Trap in Chiefs history is a big one.

Sure-Oz
Montana Magic @ MH was badass!!

|Zach|

How could I forget that! dang.

WilliamTheIrish
10-02-2003, 10:18 PM
I) The defeat of the Raiders for the last AFL football crown. In their own stadium. In front of their own fans. On national TV. The defense mashing Darrel Lamonica so bad that Gramps Blanda had to come in to finish the game. The LOSERS had their bags packed for the trip to N'Orleans prior to the game being played. That's how confident the LOSERS were.

II) The demolition of Joe Kapp by Aaron Brown and Jerry Mays, separating Kapp's shoulder, and sealing the victory over the Vikings in SB IV.

III) The goal line stand by the front four in New York against the Jets and Joe Namath in the very first wild card game, a 13-6 Chiefs victory.

Mile High Mania
10-02-2003, 10:25 PM
'97 Playoff Game ... oh, wait.

KingPriest2
10-02-2003, 10:29 PM
I will have to say watching in person Joe run for I believe 193 yards against Houston in 81. We went to 7-3 that weekend and finished 9-7

The first playoff game at Arrowhead against the Raiders We won. i was at that game as well. The Steelers wildcard game I was at.

But I think the best game the comeback in Denver.

Rausch
10-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Joe showing exactly who was who's bitch, Pile High, 96, monday fuggen night.....

Montana OWNED Elway....

Rain Man
10-02-2003, 10:41 PM
Favorite Moments that I've seen.

1. Montana to Davis on Monday night.

2. Grbac to Rison on Monday night.

3. Keith Cash nailing the Buddy Ryan poster.

4. Otis Taylor making the one-handed grab against the Redskins.

5. Albert Lewis blocking a kick against the Steelers in the final regular season game in 1986. (Chiefs scored three special teams TDs to win 24-21 and make first playoff appearance in 15 years)

6. Frank Manumaleuga and Thomas Howard forcing a fumble and returning it for a TD to win the game in the last minute as the dynasty Steelers were running out the clock in the late 70s/early 80s.

7. Buck Buchanan bursting through the line and bulldogging George Blanda to the ground in the early 70s.

8. Trent Green to John Tait to win the game in Cleveland.

9. Any of a series of Derrick Thomas sacks where he left an OT in the dust and did the sack and strip.

10. Tim Barnett's devastating blindside block on a Raiders CB on a routine play in the early 90s.

Apologies to:

1. Any of a series of Christian Okoye runs where mortals could not stop him.
2. Vanover's punt return against the Chargers
3. Hasty's interception return against the Raiders in OT.
4. Any of a series of Willie Lanier smashes of receivers over the middle.
5. Any of a series of Deron Cherry interceptions leaping in front of receivers.
6. Art Still making a tackle by pushing his OT against the RB on a goal-line stand in the mid-80s.

Rukdafaidas
10-02-2003, 10:42 PM
That is too funny. Can you describe what you were feeling during that game and what you said during and after?

Well, considering I had watched Elway comeback and beat the Chiefs so many times. I was thinking, damnit, he did it again, when the Broncos scored with 90 seconds on the clock. I did have a little faith, because the only QB with more 4th quarter comebacks than Elway was Montana. When the Chiefs scored, I went absolutely freaking nuts.

KingPriest2
10-02-2003, 10:47 PM
I would also have to add even though we lost a MNF game where we played Denver and were losing 21-9 at half we came back to take the lead and Denver came back and beat us with a FG. I just rem Piage running down the sideline for the TD. I think it was a 70 yeard TD.

Does anyone remember the game Delaney ran for 193 against the Oilers.

Montana Magic
10-02-2003, 10:48 PM
I think mine is gonna have to the 1997 Donks@Chiefs game at Arrowhead when we won on Stoyos's 53 yarder, 24-22. The only time I've ever cried with pure, unadulterated joy after a Chiefs win.

Rison made a key play in that game BTW. He caught Gannon's pass and gained three extra yards by juking a defender before stepping out of bounds. Stoyo's kick barely cleared the crossbar.

big nasty kcnut
10-02-2003, 10:56 PM
montana magic the day okaye crushed oakland d the first time and my personal fav. the daunte hall td over denver that show who the real human video game is

Montana Magic
10-02-2003, 11:05 PM
First we did this:

:grovel:

Stoyo kicked the ball through....

http://jastermereel.homestead.com/files/kc54yds.jpeg

:eek: :eek: :eek:

http://jastermereel.homestead.com/files/KCC54YDS.JPG

:deevee: PBJ :deevee: PBJ

BIG K
10-02-2003, 11:08 PM

Guess I would have to say the GirlBack to Rison pass in 97' on Monday night. Reason being, is that all my co-workers (raider fans) were calling me during the commercial talking shiite. 58 seconds later, we had a WIN. Called them back that night, each and every one. Most would not answer the phone that they themselves used only two minutes before! :thumb:

Funny how 'raider nation' is alive and well during wins but, are non-existent during losses.....

KingPriest2
10-02-2003, 11:12 PM
montana magic the day okaye crushed oakland d the first time and my personal fav. the daunte hall td over denver that show who the real human video game is

That was one of the best moves of all time what Hall did. Espn had a show on people in the zone and it had that move with Hall descrbing it.

Another thing about that move Espn had their top ten the day after. That play did not make it. You know what play was no 1. The move Portis put on Harts on his TD run. Could not believe it More Media Denver Biassness.

Rausch
10-02-2003, 11:14 PM
Could not believe it More Media Denver Biassness.

Tommorow is the end of all that..... :)

KingPriest2
10-02-2003, 11:18 PM
Tommorow is the end of all that..... :)

Man I hope so. All I hear is Denver this Denver that. Samething with Oakland.

Montana Magic
10-02-2003, 11:19 PM
Man I hope so. All I hear is Denver this Denver that. Samething with Oakland.

Going to pick up a copy or three of the new SI. I'm going to sit at the bar and rip up the covers at key moments during the game. :D

KingPriest2
10-02-2003, 11:23 PM
Going to pick up a copy or three of the new SI. I'm going to sit at the bar and rip up the covers at key moments during the game. :D

did you notice Priest was on the corner part of the cover last week?

Chiefs Pantalones
10-02-2003, 11:27 PM

Ask me this on Sunday after the game...

listopencil
10-02-2003, 11:42 PM
Obviously, since I'm a Broncos fan, my best Chief memories are going to be different than yours (97 playoffs, Atwater hitting Okoye on MNF, etc.)With that being said, the best memory I ever had of rooting for the Chiefs to win was when they beat the Raiders with that last minute bomb. Was that Grbac to Rison on MNF? Joe Bugle (then coach of the Raiders) closed down the locker room to media because his players were "too emotionally distraught" to handle the interviews. I called my Raider-fan friend and had my very young daughter go (over the phone),"Raiders cry, Raiders cry!" I then informed them that I couldn't talk smack to them myself because their team was too weak for me to make fun of. She still remembers it years later. And, even though my team lost, the MNF with Elway and Montana had to be one of the best games ever played.

Otter
10-02-2003, 11:59 PM
Too many too mention...

Joe Montana was an orchastrator that could lift the play of everyone around him, he was magic, take your pick.

One of my favorite moments because it was the Raiders and where I was watching the game at was the Grbac to Rison pass at Oakland with no time left on the clock.

mcan
10-03-2003, 12:43 AM
1. Obviously, the Monday Night Montana game was tops.

2. Pete Stoyanovich for president.

3. Smacking the Niners in '97 and the Rams in '00.

4. John Tait and the helmet toss.

5. Derrick Thomas sack (100 against Elway / safety against Young)

6. Kieth Cash / Buddy Ryan poster

7. Rison against Raiders... (props to Snoop on his first NFL catch, but our kickoff coverage lost us that one)

8. Marcus Allen in the snow and over the top at Mile High.

9. Dante Hall three weeks in a row.

10. Vanover OT punt return against San Diego.

Rausch
10-03-2003, 12:45 AM
Tamaric who?.......

PHOG
10-03-2003, 03:07 AM
I) The defeat of the Raiders for the last AFL football crown. In their own stadium. In front of their own fans. On national TV. The defense mashing Darrel Lamonica so bad that Gramps Blanda had to come in to finish the game. The LOSERS had their bags packed for the trip to N'Orleans prior to the game being played. That's how confident the LOSERS were.

II) The demolition of Joe Kapp by Aaron Brown and Jerry Mays, separating Kapp's shoulder, and sealing the victory over the Vikings in SB IV.

III) The goal line stand by the front four in New York against the Jets and Joe Namath in the very first wild card game, a 13-6 Chiefs victory.
Yep, that has to be the best! All the others are just wishful thinking. I remember Otis breaking away for that TD also, we were watching on an old Zenith tv ( man how times have changed), and everbody jumped up and said "yes!, that's it!, Kiss ass!, woooeeoooheeeaaahhhhhhh!, it was the ultimate time in any of the great times of CHIEFS history, bar none! :toast: :thumb:

Eleazar
10-03-2003, 06:19 AM

Mine too. Next to that would be the Vanover punt return against the Chargers.

I'm not old enough to remember much before the early 90s though.

nmt1
10-03-2003, 06:52 AM
While it's not really my favorite moment, Bono's 70+ yard TD run on a naked bootleg against the Cardinals was a nice play. Not only was it high comedy, it pretty much ended Buddy Ryan's career.

My favorite moment is the Monday night game where Montana out-Elwayed Elway. The Stoyo FG, Vanover's OT punt return for a TD, Grbac to Rison on MNF, Hasty getting a pick and return for a TD when Tim Brown ran into the umpire, and Marcus' 100th rushing TD are all nice memories as well.

Spott
10-03-2003, 06:53 AM
Lots of memories, but I personally liked getting to see Bono's 76 yard bootleg run in Arizona because I was there and like the rest of the crowd, I was totally fooled on the play. Everyone in the stadium including Arizona's defense was following Marcus Allen and after they tackled him, everyone looked up and saw Bono & Valerio 40 yards downfield running towards the endzone. Other than that, the 4th down TD pass from Montana to Barnett to tie the game against Pittsburgh in the 93 playoffs and seeing DT strip Brett Favre on Monday night and Saleamua returning the fumble for a score to put us ahead(also in 93).

Mile High Mania
10-03-2003, 07:03 AM
Joe showing exactly who was who's bitch, Pile High, 96, monday fuggen night.....

Montana OWNED Elway....

I always find theses statements funny, because in the football games that I watch, I never see the two opposing QBs on the field at the same time.

Gaz
10-03-2003, 07:29 AM
There are so many, but my favorite has to be Gunther’s relentless blitz against Buffalo [Todd Collins was the QB, BTW] when the Bills had 1st & Goal, down by 6. Gunther unleased the dogs on every play and stuffed the Bills. That goal line stand preserved a 22-16 Chiefs win and earned Gunther a place in my crusty old Defense Homer’s heart.

xoxo~
Gaz
Getting all misty now.

Spott
10-03-2003, 07:29 AM
I always find theses statements funny, because in the football games that I watch, I never see the two opposing QBs on the field at the same time.

Not to mention MHM, that in 96 Bono was our QB and the Broncos blew us out 34-7 in Denver that year.

Rain Man
10-03-2003, 08:28 AM
Obviously, since I'm a Broncos fan, my best Chief memories are going to be different than yours (97 playoffs, Atwater hitting Okoye on MNF, etc.)With that being said, the best memory I ever had of rooting for the Chiefs to win was when they beat the Raiders with that last minute bomb. Was that Grbac to Rison on MNF? Joe Bugle (then coach of the Raiders) closed down the locker room to media because his players were "too emotionally distraught" to handle the interviews. I called my Raider-fan friend and had my very young daughter go (over the phone),"Raiders cry, Raiders cry!" I then informed them that I couldn't talk smack to them myself because their team was too weak for me to make fun of. She still remembers it years later. And, even though my team lost, the MNF with Elway and Montana had to be one of the best games ever played.

The daughter thing is worth rep.

damaticous
10-03-2003, 08:42 AM
This is kind of depressing to think about this, and probably a little morbid too. But I would have to say my favorite, which also happens to be my LEAST favorite moment in Chiefs history is Derrick Thomas's death. That is when I realized that I was a true hardcore Chiefs fan that had more respect for the team than I do for most of my friends. It woke me up to how precious life really is and how fast someone important to you can be taken away.

But it was also the least favorite moment because we lost one of the best D Ends in the NFL, and a good guy that has helped not only his football team, but the community too.

I know I am not the only one who still misses DT.

Sorry, for bing a little sappy. I think it is the weather.

:sulk:

papasmurf
10-03-2003, 08:51 AM
Super Bowl I, yes we lost but we were in the first one. Only one other team can claim that.

kchero
10-03-2003, 08:55 AM
Im only 20 years old so the only chiefs historic plays I have seen have been online or NFL films. I know the plays by heart, but wasnt actually alive to experience them at the moment. I would say some of my top experiences have been:

1) K. Cash scoring that touchdown against the "overhyped" Oilers and him spiking the ball against that Buddy Ryan poster. I was young then but that was just amazing to me.

2) The Monday Night Grbac to Rison against the Faiders.

3) Dante's move by himself against all those Donkeys last year. ( I have never in my life seen a juke like that, he single handedly embarrassed the Donks' defense on that play)

4) 3 consecutive returns for a TD (an NFL record) by non other than Danta Hall

5) Embarrassing the Rams for the past...what 4 years now?

ChiefJustice
10-03-2003, 09:39 AM
It has to be DT's 7 sack game on our poor future QB David Krieg...are you kidding me...7 freakin' sacks...boy,those seagulls sucked!

ptlyon
10-03-2003, 09:42 AM
January 11th, 1970. And I wasn't even born yet.

MOhillbilly
10-03-2003, 10:21 AM
The day the Chiefs fired Gunther and hired Dick "back from the dead" Vermeil.

KCFalcon59
10-03-2003, 11:19 AM
I remember a game against the faiders with deberg at qb. early 90's. mnf I think. He threw the game winning td and got completely leveled on the play. Tough somabiotch he was

damaticous
10-03-2003, 12:01 PM
I agree. ANY quarterback that plays with a PIN in his hand while taking snaps is a tough man in my book.

mcan
10-03-2003, 12:38 PM
There are so many, but my favorite has to be Gunther’s relentless blitz against Buffalo [Todd Collins was the QB, BTW] when the Bills had 1st & Goal, down by 6. Gunther unleased the dogs on every play and stuffed the Bills. That goal line stand preserved a 22-16 Chiefs win and earned Gunther a place in my crusty old Defense Homer’s heart.

xoxo~
Gaz
Getting all misty now.

I almost put that one down last night. That was when Mark McMillian picked him off on third down. I don't remember why, but I had to be at church during the second half of that game. Anyway, I skipped out and went to my car to listen to the last few drives, and I was biting my nails as Mitch called the play by play. Listening to that kind of football over the radio was extremely dramatic. Good call Gaz.

Coogs
10-03-2003, 01:13 PM
Stoyo's 54 yarder under those conditions for what was at stake is easily #1. Rison's catch is #2. Cash in Houston #3. The comeback in Denver #4.

Several others mentioned here have been high on my list. A few others that have not been mentioned were Ed Podalack's (sp) monster game against the Dolphins, and a run of over several games of blocked punts that lead to a playoff spot sometime in the 80's, IIRC.

kcchiefsrule
10-03-2003, 02:40 PM
Superbowl 4 - The game was 13 years, 11 months and 17 days before I was born, but I think that was the top.

There have been other plays i've seen, such at playing at Green Bay I think it was, and they called a fake punt, and the punter threw to Marcus Allen, making the pass look like a punt.

That was one of many I've seen.

Spott
10-03-2003, 02:57 PM
Superbowl 4 - The game was 13 years, 11 months and 17 days before I was born, but I think that was the top.

There have been other plays i've seen, such at playing at Green Bay I think it was, and they called a fake punt, and the punter threw to Marcus Allen, making the pass look like a punt.

That was one of many I've seen.

That was actually us playing in Seattle in 97. Kevin Lockett caught the pass, but it was a hell of a fake. Never seen it done since.

Megbert
10-03-2003, 03:51 PM
Monday Night Miracle

Vanover Return against the Bolts

96 Chiefs VS Packers Only cause I was at a sportsbar surrounded by obnoxious Packers fans and we won.

The 53 yrd Stoyo fieldgoal was great too cause I was at a sportsbar along with some donkos fans

Kinda bitersweet: Grbac to Rison on Monday Nite - I watched this game at my Apt in Tempe - Went nuts with a fellow Kansan almost called my dad (huge Chiefs fan) but didn't cause it was late and he was sick with cancer at the time. Later that week he passed away. Still feel like crap thinking about that could've shared a "great" chiefs moment with my dad one last time.

There are prolly some more but these are the ones that come to mind right now.

Rain Man
10-05-2003, 02:37 PM
[Posted after the Broncos game]

Uh, can I change my list?

teedubya
10-20-2003, 02:26 PM
Chiefs vs Broncos... Oct 5th 2003.

I took my 2 year old son for his birthday present... just me an him. When Dante ran the PR for the 4th kr in 4 weeks, it was magic.

JohnnyV13
10-20-2003, 04:20 PM
I Can't believe no one has mentioned the '97 Buffalo game in KC.

Todd Collins was QB for Buffalo..and had the ball inside the Chiefs 10 at the end of the game. If Buffalo scores a TD, Buffalo wins. If we stop them...KC wins.

Chiefs D coordinator, Gunther Cunningham calls 4 straight sellout blitzes, b/c the Arrowhead crowd is so loud the Buffalo players can't hear themselves think. Chiefs win when Buffalo just can't handle the noise.

The game turned after Tamarick Vanover returned a kickoff for a TD following a long Buffalo TD drive that was fueled by a terrible miscall by the refs.

KCinNY
10-20-2003, 04:31 PM
1) Montana to Willie Davis against Houston in the '93 Playoffs. Willie had dropped an easy TD in the first half, only to make a spectacular, impossible catch with Chris Dishman all over him in the 4th qtr.

2) Montana to Davis at Mile High in '94. That was a helluva drive by Montana. The frail old bastard out Elwayed Elway in Denver. Great stuff.

DTLB58
10-20-2003, 04:36 PM
If we win tonight. Tonight would be my choice.

Garcia Bronco
10-20-2003, 04:39 PM
I think mine is gonna have to the 1997 Donks@Chiefs game at Arrowhead when we won on Stoyos's 53 yarder, 24-22. The only time I've ever cried with pure, unadulterated joy after a Chiefs win.

Rison made a key play in that game BTW. He caught Gannon's pass and gained three extra yards by juking a defender before stepping out of bounds. Stoyo's kick barely cleared the crossbar.

I believe the refs helped you down the field for thast one......it's literally the reason we played you guys at Arrowhead that year vs Mile High in the playoffs.

Calcountry
10-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Speaking of pure joy, and tears, what about Dantes 4rth consecutive return against the Bronco's just a 2 weeks ago? Perhaps it don't count cause its too new? But that was right up there with all that you have mentioned.

teedubya
11-11-2004, 08:45 AM
great bump, I must say.

shaneo69
11-11-2004, 10:09 AM
October 7th, 1991 against the defending AFC Champion Bills. On my 22nd birthday, the Chiefs played at Arrowhead on MNF for the first time in about a decade. We destroyed Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley, Cornelius Bennett, Leonard Smith, and co. by a score of 33-6. And I've never heard Arrowhead louder than that night. I don't think the fans stopped doing the chop until they got to work on Tuesday morning.

Hammock Parties
11-11-2004, 10:16 AM
HEY! WHY WAS MONTANA MAGIC BANNED?

:D

Hammock Parties
11-11-2004, 10:22 AM
I believe the refs helped you down the field for thast one......it's literally the reason we played you guys at Arrowhead that year vs Mile High in the playoffs.

I don't remember any of that.

Of course the only two plays I remember from that drive is a 20-yard dump pass to Marcus Allen and the sideline out to Andre Rison....I don't remember if that was all it took.

Megbert
11-11-2004, 10:24 AM
October 7th, 1991 against the defending AFC Champion Bills. On my 22nd birthday, the Chiefs played at Arrowhead on MNF for the first time in about a decade. We destroyed Jim Kelly, Thurman Thomas, Andre Reed, Bruce Smith, Darryl Talley, Cornelius Bennett, Leonard Smith, and co. by a score of 33-6. And I've never heard Arrowhead louder than that night. I don't think the fans stopped doing the chop until they got to work on Tuesday morning.

I called in "sick" so I could watch that game. AMAZING

milkman
11-11-2004, 10:25 AM

These are, without a doubt, my favorites as well.

I was 11 years old, and my best friend was a Viking fan.
I showed him no mercy as we sat on the floor in front of the TV and watched as Brown, May, Buck and Curly dominated the LOS and decimated the Viking backfield.

teedubya
11-11-2004, 10:32 AM

I was in Army Basic Training during that game... I missed out on a great game, and didnt even get to read, nor hear about it... my mom told me they won though... Basic Training is like an island.

shaneo69
11-11-2004, 10:49 AM
I was in Army Basic Training during that game... I missed out on a great game, and didnt even get to read, nor hear about it... my mom told me they won though... Basic Training is like an island.

Man, that game was awesome.....it's too bad you couldn't attend or at least watch it. But believe me, it would've paled in comparison to the game you got to take son to for his birthday.

shaneo69
11-11-2004, 11:01 AM
I called in "sick" so I could watch that game. AMAZING

I'm with ya. That's probably why I remember the game/day so well. I was going to college at Illinois State, and I had two tests that Monday. For one of the tests, I just told the professor that I was going to the MNF game, and he let me take the test later in the week. But my other test was in Central American studies, or something like that. I had to make up a lie about having an appointment with a different college that I was planning to transfer to. The professor said okay, you can take the test Tuesday morning at 7:30 a.m. I was like, "cool." Actually, it wasn't too cool. After the game was over, I drove back to my parents house in St. Louis and got there about 3:30 a.m. Tuesday. Then from there, I drove back up to Bloomington-Normal, IL, getting there about 6:00 a.m., and then I had to go take the test at 7:30. Rough night, but I'll never forget it.

Even cooler was the fact that my girlfriend at the time went to a bar to watch the game, and they had a Bud/Bud Light/Bud Dry poster that had the Chiefs and Bills helmets on it, saying "October 7th, 1991----Watch the game here." My girlfriend got the poster for me from the bar owner and I still have it up in my basement/sports bar. Sweet!!

BigRedChief
11-11-2004, 11:02 AM
Montana Magic at Mile High

Kieth Cash throwing the football into the poster of Buddy Ryan

In Person:

Dante's runback against Denver last year.

Chanting 9-0 last year near the conclusion of the game (I know it's not historical but way too cool a moment to leave off the list)

The coming out game. The Bills getting their butts handed to them on MNF.

Predarat
11-11-2004, 11:30 AM
The Grbac to Rison was great! I was watching the game with noe other than a Raiders fan and won a case of beer from a bet(I won a lot of Beer in those days, then when Gannon first went to the Raiders I supplied the beer. Now I am getting the beer once again!) The Stoyonovich FG was awesome!! I punched a hole in my cieling! Montanas playoffs wins were awesome. Ill never forget the game when Steve Deberg got his hand smashed into pieces, basically taped it back together and went out and played.

teedubya
11-11-2004, 12:01 PM
ill never forget my first chiefs game... Veterens day 1990... fourteen years ago today. DT had 7 sacks, then Krieg to Skansi in the last few seconds of the game... we lose. :cuss: Carl should have sprung for a shut down corner.

BIG_DADDY
11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Otis Taylor down the sidlines agains the Vikings in the Superbowl.

Otis Taylor clotheslining Otis Sistrunk when he was locked up with Willie Lanier I believe which led to a bench clearing brawl, ahhhhhhhh the good ol days.

Willie Lanier breaking Bilinekoff's nose when he tried catchin one over the middle, NICE!!!

milkman
11-11-2004, 12:19 PM
Otis Taylor down the sidlines agains the Vikings in the Superbowl.

Otis Taylor clotheslining Otis Sistrunk when he was locked up with Willie Lanier I believe which led to a bench clearing brawl, ahhhhhhhh the good ol days.

Willie Lanier breaking Bilinekoff's nose when he tried catchin one over the middle, NICE!!!

Willie was a bad ass, and the most underrated Chief ever!

Calcountry
11-11-2004, 12:27 PM
Well, considering I had watched Elway comeback and beat the Chiefs so many times. I was thinking, damnit, he did it again, when the Broncos *

(* Violated the salary cap during their championship seasons) scored with 90 seconds on the clock. I did have a little faith, because the only QB with more 4th quarter comebacks than Elway was Montana. When the Chiefs scored, I went absolutely freaking nuts.
There was a game vs the Bronco's at Arrowhead, where they left 30 seconds on the clock, and we came back and nailed a 50 plus yard field goal, after a decent run back, and a pass play.

I think that was Montana's too.

Sig Kauffman
11-11-2004, 01:47 PM
Sept. 29, 2002--my first game at Arrowhead Stadium

it was against the Miami Dolphins and for some strange reason I brought 3 Miami fans with me to KC for the game. As if it wasn't bad enough they were predicting a blowout in Miami's favor...they made me watch the "Scooby Doo" movie in the Adam's Mark hotel room we were staying in the night before. But I ended up with the last laugh. Trent Green threw 5 TD passes that day, the Chiefs won 48-30 and those Dolfans were laughed all the way back to the truck. I've made the trip to Arrowhead once every year since.

listopencil
06-27-2006, 11:30 PM
Let's all bump threads from our oldest visible reps...

milkman
06-27-2006, 11:39 PM
Let's all bump threads from our oldest visible reps...

That sounds like a pretty good idea.

chefsos
06-28-2006, 12:17 AM
That sounds like a pretty good idea.
Mine is from one of Rain Man's "Pick the five greatest Chiefs" poll series. I don't know if bumping a poll thread from a series that's long done is a good idea.

However...

There is a great Chiefs4me vs. everyone else (i.e., Skip, Bowser, Logical, and you) dogpile within this thread... :hmmm:

Bugeater
06-28-2006, 12:19 AM
Mine is from one of Rain Man's "Pick the five greatest Chiefs" poll series. I don't know if bumping a poll thread from a series that's long done is a good idea.

However...

There is a great Chiefs4me vs. everyone else dogpile within this thread... :hmmm:
Just do it.

Hammock Parties
06-28-2006, 12:21 AM
Little known fact: Montana Magic is a GoChiefs alias.

listopencil
06-28-2006, 12:33 AM

Looks like you lasted about a month that time.

Logical
06-28-2006, 01:05 AM
Super Bowl win this is too easy.

greg63
06-28-2006, 01:11 AM

...That and Montana's Denver win in "94".

Deberg_1990
06-28-2006, 01:31 AM

That game probably holds the most "historical" value of recent Chiefs history. It signaled to the rest of the NFL and country that this franchise had "Arrived" It was a huge coming out party for Arrowhead and its fans. It was a sign of great things to come in the 1990's.....unfortunately we never won a SB. But the franchise had returned to greatness.

06-28-2006, 01:35 AM

In person.... Stoyanovich's game winning kick against the Bronco's.

On TV.... Montana's comeback against the Bronco's.

See a theme there? :hmmm: :)

CoMoChief
06-28-2006, 01:37 AM
The plays that I have gone fuggin nuts over is....

1. Montana to Davis @ Denver during the last minutes of the game.

2. Last seasons ending when LJ scored the winning TD for us against OAK.

3. Dante Hall's punt return against DEN at KC a couple seasons ago when Mane memebers bitch about the blocking in the back even though they cut block on every single play. They cant take what they give out.

mcan
06-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Top Five: (since '90ish when I started watching)

5. Beating the snot out of the Rams in 2000. Ending their streak of wins going back to the previous year when they won the SuperBowl.

4. Pete Stoyanovich in '97. Beating the Broncos at Arrowhead with a last second field goal. ...Pete Stoyanovich for PRESIDENT!

3. Going to the Chiefs/Seahawks game in '94 with my Dad. It was my first time at Arrowhead, and I'll never forget it.

2. Coming back against the Houston Oilers in the Divisional Round of the playoffs in '94. Keith Cash spiking the ball against Buddy Ryan's face on that poster, and Montana hitting Davis on the long bomb that broke the game wide open...

1. Monday Night Montana Magic... "I can't believe what I just saw!"

greg63
06-28-2006, 02:13 AM

5. Beating the snot out of the Rams in 2000. Ending their streak of wins going back to the previous year when they won the SuperBowl.

4. Pete Stoyanovich in '97. Beating the Broncos at Arrowhead with a last second field goal. ...Pete Stoyanovich for PRESIDENT!

3. Going to the Chiefs/Seahawks game in '94 with my Dad. It was my first time at Arrowhead, and I'll never forget it.

2. Coming back against the Houston Oilers in the Divisional Round of the playoffs in '94. Keith Cash spiking the ball against Buddy Ryan's face on that poster, and Montana hitting Davis on the long bomb that broke the game wide open...

Classic!

Number 2 was great also!

mcan
06-28-2006, 02:15 AM

just realized that I had already responded to this thread. Funny how my top ten is pretty much the same, but the order has changed a bit...

MahiMike
06-28-2006, 07:02 AM

Wow! Right there with the first post! That was exactly the first game I thought of. The BEST MNF game in history, IMO.

listopencil
03-28-2007, 12:31 PM
?

Micjones
03-28-2007, 12:56 PM
The MNF game against SD where Vanover won on a punt return for a TD.

The 1996 Packer game where Greg Hill scored 3 Touchdowns.

The William White interception for a TD against the Oakland Raiders.

The Montana Mile High comeback.

The Todd McNair fumble recovery for a TD.

Baby Lee
03-28-2007, 01:20 PM
Saw this thread topic, and the first 3 things through my mind were "MNF, 33-6, Bills beatdown"

Baby Lee
03-28-2007, 01:21 PM
That game probably holds the most "historical" value of recent Chiefs history. It signaled to the rest of the NFL and country that this franchise had "Arrived" It was a huge coming out party for Arrowhead and its fans. It was a sign of great things to come in the 1990's.....unfortunately we never won a SB. But the franchise had mildly upticked to Martyocrity.
FYP ;)

InChiefsHeaven
03-28-2007, 01:31 PM
Bono goes for like 76 yards in 76 minutes to score on the qb fake against the Jets...or was it the Cards...I remember Berman calling it on the highlights..."and he could go...all...alll.....alll....alll...the...the..way!

Classic.

Splat420
03-28-2007, 01:48 PM
A tie between DT getting seven sacks in one game and Priest getting his 27th TD in a season.

Baby Lee
03-28-2007, 02:04 PM
Bono goes for like 76 yards in 76 minutes to score on the qb fake against the Jets...or was it the Cards...I remember Berman calling it on the highlights..."and he could go...all...alll.....alll....alll...the...the..way!

Classic.
Zona

cdcox
03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Favorite Moments that I've seen.

1. Montana to Davis on Monday night.

2. Grbac to Rison on Monday night.

3. Keith Cash nailing the Buddy Ryan poster.

4. Otis Taylor making the one-handed grab against the Redskins.

5. Albert Lewis blocking a kick against the Steelers in the final regular season game in 1986. (Chiefs scored three special teams TDs to win 24-21 and make first playoff appearance in 15 years)

6. Frank Manumaleuga and Thomas Howard forcing a fumble and returning it for a TD to win the game in the last minute as the dynasty Steelers were running out the clock in the late 70s/early 80s.

7. Buck Buchanan bursting through the line and bulldogging George Blanda to the ground in the early 70s.

8. Trent Green to John Tait to win the game in Cleveland.

9. Any of a series of Derrick Thomas sacks where he left an OT in the dust and did the sack and strip.

10. Tim Barnett's devastating blindside block on a Raiders CB on a routine play in the early 90s.

Apologies to:

1. Any of a series of Christian Okoye runs where mortals could not stop him.
2. Vanover's punt return against the Chargers
3. Hasty's interception return against the Raiders in OT.
4. Any of a series of Willie Lanier smashes of receivers over the middle.
5. Any of a series of Deron Cherry interceptions leaping in front of receivers.
6. Art Still making a tackle by pushing his OT against the RB on a goal-line stand in the mid-80s.

Interestingly, I clearly remember the radio calls on 4 and 6, of your top ten list. I don't remember #10, but saw most of the others on TV.

Logical
03-28-2007, 02:21 PM
Winning the Super Bowl, no doubt and nothing comes close.

Baby Lee
03-28-2007, 02:24 PM
06-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Today, 03:21 PM
Paging the department of redundancy department. :p

Logical
03-28-2007, 02:24 PM
Willie was a bad ass, and the most underrated Chief ever!

Not sure how you can say he was underrated, he is recognized as one of the 5 greatest MLBs ever and is mentioned whenever anyone mentions Butkus.

Logical
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Paging the department of redundancy department. :pShit, I did not notice this was an old thread. You got me.

cdcox
03-28-2007, 02:25 PM

Yup. Even though I was only 9, it was the best. I wish that memory was just a little more clear, though.

cdcox
03-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Shit, I did not notice this was an old thread. You got me.

At least you were consistent.

Hammock Parties
03-28-2007, 07:48 PM
Montana Magic was a great poster. Whatever happened to him?

crazycoffey
03-28-2007, 07:57 PM
Montana Magic was a great poster. Whatever happened to him?

mmmmmm, I wonder......

you did already admit to something.

Skip Towne
03-28-2007, 08:19 PM

Classic.
With Joe Valerio way downfield motioning for Bono to hurry up.

Davechief
03-28-2007, 10:04 PM
As far as being at arrowhead in person it had to be the game against the Donks in 97. DT got sack # 100. Stoyo nailing the game winner of 54 yds at the end was awesome as well.

Rausch
03-28-2007, 10:06 PM
Chiefs over Oilers in Houston.

Extra Point
03-28-2007, 10:19 PM
65 Toss Power Trap

Crush
03-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Chiefs over Oilers in Houston.

Definitely, we were big underdogs in that game. The "big scary" Houston Defense sacked us only once and gave up three fourth quarter TDs. Chiefs Defense sacked Moon 9 times and practically killed the Run and Shoot on national TV.

chagrin
03-29-2007, 06:00 AM
Everything mentioned, I would like to add (unless it's already been mentioned of course, I didn't read the entire thread) that Monday Night opener against Oakland when we sacked Jeff George 6 times in the first half. Also there were 2 games in, I think 1995, when James Hasty closed the deal (against Oakland again) in the last minute or two and cut their heart out.

Skip Towne
03-29-2007, 06:51 AM
50 G-O Reverse

greg63
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
65 Toss Power Trap

Ditto! Love that one.

Direckshun
03-29-2007, 12:50 PM
1. Dante's return against Denver.
2. Marcus going over the top in the snow.
3. James Hasty returning an INT for a TD in OT for the W.

Splat420
03-29-2007, 12:52 PM

When your not a live for it kinda takes the fun out of it for me.

Direckshun
03-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Priest Holmes setting the NFL record for TDs in a season.

Short-lived as it was.

luv
03-29-2007, 01:06 PM
It may not be historical to anyone else, but I would say the first time I saw the Chiefs beat Denver in person. 12/4/2005.

gblowfish
03-29-2007, 01:33 PM
A lot of my favorite things have been mentioned already. If we're talking things I've seen in person:

Stoyo's 53 yarder -last second FG at Arrowhead- to beat the Donks...sweet!

Buck Buchanan driving George Blanda head first into the turf at Municipal Stadium.

Benny Thompson absolutely killing Stump Mitchell on a punt return.

Chiefs run for 7 TDs vs Atlanta Falcons at Arrowhead

Derrick Thomas terrorizing Steve Young & 49ers at Arrowhead

Killing the Buffalo Bills on MNF at Arrowhead

Joe Montana to Tim Barnett in OT to beat Pittsburgh in Playoff game at Arrowhead.

Chiefs scoring 50 and killing St. Louis at Arrowhead.

Jeff George (when he was a Raider) getting totally lit by Leslie O'Neal in home opener at Arrowhead.

Gunther swearing like a longshoreman on the sideline when he was Head Coach.

Marty kissing Hasty after beating the Raiders in OT

Derrick Thomas sitting on his helmet in a torrential rainstorm VS Seattle.

Those are some of my favorite memories. I'm sure there's a lot more.

CoMoChief
03-29-2007, 01:40 PM
The domination of the Rams the past few years.

I detest the Rams and their "fans"

Amen to that, my roomate is a Rams fans and just some of the shit he says just baffles my mind. He honestly thinks Bulger will make the HoF. That shows how much creditbility he has from me.

CoMoChief
03-29-2007, 01:43 PM
I liked how Ray Lewis on MNF a few years ago was complaining about our Oline....

"Its simply not possibly!!!" lol

KCinNY
03-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Definitely, we were big underdogs in that game. The "big scary" Houston Defense sacked us only once and gave up three fourth quarter TDs. Chiefs Defense sacked Moon 9 times and practically killed the Run and Shoot on national TV.

Don't forget the incredible TD catch by Willie Davis in the 4th qtr.

Old, conservative, read and react Dave Adolph blitzed Moon over and over again.

Great memories and still our last playoff win.

crazycoffey
03-31-2007, 06:36 PM
Amen to that, my roomate is a Rams fans and just some of the shit he says just baffles my mind. He honestly thinks Bulger will make the HoF. That shows how much creditbility he has from me.

I was offered tickets to the chief/ram game last year, but I had just started a new job so I declined, I wore my chief hat and listened to us kick the ram's ass, wishing I could be there and all.

anywho, the game ends and a few hours later scott linehan comes in and just kinda looks at me, like he was mad I lived in st. louis and was wearing a KC hat right after they lost. He didn't say anything, I just had that feeling.......

http://www.stlouisrams.com/mediaContent/2006/04/28/07/Linehan_Bio_53619.jpg

Mojo Rising
03-31-2007, 09:33 PM
The best games I attended were:

1. The playoff victory over Pitt (my buddy passed out before thegame winning field goal so I had to wake him. The whiskey kept him warm for sure.)

2. The Grbac to Rison MNF victory. (Bart was on strike so he hired a van to drive us to/from the game. When we walked out the driver was parked on the sidewalk right where you leave the stadium. He rushed us in the van. Then he drove in the wrong lane passing a huge line of cars that was exiting the parking lot. A cop stopped him and he said that he had a van full of Chiefs fans and he needed to get us out of there. The cop waved us on. I heard from others that traffic out of the stadium was over an hour.)

3. Dante Halls KR for a TD vs. Denver. Thank goodness they didn't call an illegal block.

4. Montana vs. Young. (The bathroom above our section backed up and water was pouring down the aisles. It was hot that day)

Rausch
04-01-2007, 11:20 PM
When your not a live for it kinda takes the fun out of it for me.

It's as useless as solar power without the money to buy any.

I have only witnessed us come close enough to watch the eternal footman hold our coat, and snicker...

whtgldwldr
04-02-2007, 07:04 PM
I'm young. I watched the montana miracle, but only as a clip. (I was too young to appreciate football at the time. I was too interested in my toys.)

I'm almost 20 years old, and i've only been a die-hard chiefs fan for four or five years. That being said, here is my short list.

1. Dante Hall's various denver destruction moments. (the zero route turned touchdown, the kickoff where he ran back fifteen yards then ran forward 105, the 60 yard champ bailey burn)

2. LJ diving in with 0:00 to beat the raiders.

3. Priest and Blaylock laying the smack down on the number one run defense in the league. (take that falcons! woot!)

4. Eddie Kennison in OT against the Packers. I 'bout shat myself.

5. DJ knocking Rod Smith the fugg out!

6. Trent Green rewriting the rules on "ineligible reciever" against the Browns

7. Trent Green lead blocking (bills, bengals)

8. Lj 200 some odd yards against the Texans.

9. Greg Wesley picking the almighty Tom Brady off multiple times.

10. Humiliating the Jets in the season opener. Fun.

Most of these arent historic, but damn were they exciting!

petegz28
04-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Monday Night against San Diego at Arrowhead and Vanover ran back a punt in OT to win the game.

It was the loudest I have ever heard Arrowhead in my life.

listopencil
07-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Hmmm. A thread with Logical, Gaz and Skip in it. I'm still surprised that this thread didn't get more replies. I'm bumping it to see if any of the newer members have some different Chiefs historical moments.

listopencil
07-19-2012, 10:17 AM

Montana OWNED Elway....

Alcohol has destroyed your memory.

Reerun_KC
07-19-2012, 11:46 AM
'97 Playoff Game ... oh, wait.

That game.... That game defines the Chiefs...

Rasputin
07-19-2012, 12:01 PM
Chiefs vs Broncos... Oct 5th 2003.

I took my 2 year old son for his birthday present... just me an him. When Dante ran the PR for the 4th kr in 4 weeks, it was magic.

I was at that game :thumb:

The 8 td game with 56-10 victory over the Atlanta Falcons. They had the number one ranked D against the run & we ran all over them. We were doing the wave in the second quarter such fun.

Nzoner
07-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Well, considering I had watched Elway comeback and beat the Chiefs so many times. I was thinking, damnit, he did it again, when the Broncos scored with 90 seconds on the clock. I did have a little faith, because the only QB with more 4th quarter comebacks than Elway was Montana. When the Chiefs scored, I went absolutely freaking nuts.

I was at that game in person with about 200 other KC fans,when Elway ran that td in Bronco fans were in our face yadda yadda and they kept replaying the td on the stadium screen.

Not 5 minutes later it was pure elation,I mean our group lit those fans around us up.I'll also never forget walking out of MH that night with all my Chiefs brothers and sisters doing the chop and chant.

thabear04
07-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Monday Night Football last year on Halloween.

Hammock Parties
07-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Hey, nice thread.

chiefsfan1128
07-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Ryan Leaf meltdown and
Vanover's punt return against the Chargers

chiefsfan1128
07-19-2012, 01:26 PM
Also, the Thanksgiving day Joe Horn touchdown catch in Detroit, taking that hit and still holding the ball.

Micjones
07-19-2012, 01:30 PM
Monday Night against San Diego at Arrowhead and Vanover ran back a punt in OT to win the game.

It was the loudest I have ever heard Arrowhead in my life.

I was there for that game. Absolutely incredible moment.