PDA

View Full Version : Denny Matthews to be inducted into Royals HOF

tk13
11-24-2003, 12:49 AM
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/kc/news/kc_news.jsp?ymd=20031120&content_id=606333&vkey=news_kc&fext=.jsp&c_id=kca

Matthews named to Royals HOF
Broadcaster will be inducted Aug. 7
By Robert Falkoff / MLB.com

KANSAS CITY -- Denny Matthews is used to being the emcee for Royals' Hall of Fame ceremonies. But the voice of the Royals won't be available for that assignment during the next induction. That's because Matthews is being transformed from emcee to honoree.

The Royals announced Thursday that Matthews, who has been behind the microphone for the Royals since the club's first game in 1969, will be inducted into the Royals' Hall of Fame next Aug. 7. Matthews will be just the fourth non-uniform inductee, taking his place alongside Ewing Kauffman, Muriel Kauffman and Joe Burke.

"It's going to be different," Matthews said with a smile. "Maybe I'll grab the microphone away."

Matthews has withstood the test of time during his 35 years of broadcasting Royals' games. He ranks seventh among 178 current announcers for years of service with the same club and 10th among current announcers in total years of service.

"This is most worthy for Denny," said Royals' executive vice president Herk Robinson. "He has worked long and hard at his job and certainly established himself as one of the very top announcers in all of baseball."

Matthews is also among 150 nominees for the National Baseball Hall of Fame's 2004 Ford Frick Award, presented annually since 1978 for excellence in baseball broadcasting. The National Baseball Hall of Fame ceremony and the Royals' Hall of Fame ceremony will come within a week's span next summer.

"Through the years, I've been very fortunate to be supported and backed by very solid ownership and a very solid front office," Matthews said. "I've been truly blessed with the people I've worked with."

For over 3 1/2 decades, Matthews has had only three basic partners in the booth: Buddy Blattner, Fred White and Ryan Lefebvre.

"All three are extremely competent and extremely good people," Matthews said. "Because of that, it makes you better."

Matthews said he doesn't have any set timetable for retirement.

"I think you take it year by year now, and that's what I have done the last few years," Matthews said. "As long as you enjoy it, as long as it's fun, why stop? I've backed off a little bit and that has helped. But driving out here to the ballpark, doing a Major League Baseball game, that's pretty nice. That's a pretty good deal."

Matthews' announcing style doesn't induce false excitement, nor does he have a catch phrase. His hallmark is quality, consistency and spontaneity.

"I just say whatever pops into my mind," Matthews said. "I'd rather try to be spontaneous."

Ballots for the induction of uniform personnel, which are decided by a Royals' Hall of Fame committee, were mailed Wednesday. An announcement regarding this year's uniform personnel class will be made in December.