PDA

View Full Version : Hunting Thread....Season Progress Report

Bwana
11-25-2003, 05:43 PM
So how has everyone done so far? Has anyone bagged the big one? :bang:

ExtremeChief
11-25-2003, 05:46 PM
I was just getting ready to get my fourth cat but my mower ran out of gas...

Bwana
11-25-2003, 05:48 PM
I was just getting ready to get my fourth cat but my mower ran out of gas...

Aww, small game hunting.

BigOlChiefsfan
11-25-2003, 05:52 PM
Firearms deer season doesn't start over here til Dec 3rd, but I've got my tag (doe tag). I need to go out this weekend and get the Ruger sighted in again. It wouldn't hurt to clean out some freezer space, just in case.

Bwana
11-25-2003, 05:54 PM
Firearms deer season doesn't start over here til Dec 3rd, but I've got my tag (doe tag). I need to go out this weekend and get the Ruger sighted in again. It wouldn't hurt to clean out some freezer space, just in case.

Good Luck to you! I hope you get a nice one. Another hour in the mountains today, and I would have been there until spring.:grr:

Bwana
11-26-2003, 10:36 AM
JOhn?? Any luck?

seclark
11-26-2003, 10:40 AM
no luck here for gun season...never even got out of the truck. i get to start pulling my bow back again saturday, and hope to start bow hunting next week sometime.
sec

Boise_Chief
11-26-2003, 10:45 AM
I hunt in the Clearwater Drainage in Idaho. I went up there 2nd weekend of season, and killed a young meat deer. But we had a huge kill this summer and I decided to Let the rest live. Fish and Game estimated 1000 deer died between Orofino and The bottom of the Grangeville Grade. About 40 miles. After two days I'd say they were off by about 4000. I have never seen so many dead deer in my life. There was a gnat in stagnant water holes that killed thousands of deer. So I had a real short season this year. :banghead:

CHIEF4EVER
11-26-2003, 10:55 AM
Sorry Bwana, I just couldn't resist. I had to take the opportunity to brag on my boy again. Ben's first deer:

Boise_Chief
11-26-2003, 11:06 AM
Nice little Buck. Alot nicer than my first one. Tell your son Congratulations from Idaho.

Bwana
11-26-2003, 11:17 AM
CHIEF4EVER: That works! If I was after deer yesterday, it would have been a VERY short day. I viewed thousands of them, seriously. Every field I drove past in this area was loaded with them. You could skip rocks off of them there were so many and some really really nice bucks as well. At this point, I don't even mess with deer. I will go after them again in two years when my son is old enough to go.

CHIEF4EVER
11-26-2003, 11:19 AM
CHIEF4EVER: That works! If I was after deer yesterday, it would have been a VERY short day. I viewed thousands of them, seriously. Every field I drove past in this area was loaded with them. You could skip rocks off of them there were so many and some really really nice bucks as well. At this point, I don't even mess with deer. I will go after them again in two years when my son is old enough to go.

:eek: :drool: Methinks it's time to move to Montana. What's acreage going for these days?

Bwana
11-26-2003, 11:22 AM
:eek: :drool: Methinks it's time to move to Montana. What's acreage going for these days?

it depends "greatly" on which area of Montana you are talking about. Some of it goes for nothing, (scrub brush areas) some of it is crazy (Flathead valley) and most of it is in between. A lot of the great areas are getting eaten up fast.

Iowanian
11-26-2003, 11:26 AM
There aren't as many Does in Iowania as there used to be...but several small to midrange bucks are alive and well. I have been holding out for 1 of 2 bigguns...but no success.

I did manage to fall 8-10' out of a tree I was climbing to cut limbs for my brother, and then bounce ass over tea kettle down the hillside it was on.....Other than that...I've sat alot of hours in wind and rain, with nothing in front of me.

"Scheduling and family issues" have impeded on my hunting too.

Shotgun starts soon, and I'll fill some tags in December. Brotherwanian will actually be back from on Christmas Leave from Army fun camp and catch the last weekend of shotgun season.

2 of my friends have got really nice bucks...One got a 22pnt 200class monster, and the Other(the brother of a guy Bwana played ball with) got a 180ish class 10 point monster. Pricks.

Bwana
11-26-2003, 11:27 AM
As long as we are on the subject: :D A little joke.

Top 10 Reasons Handguns Are Better Than A Woman

#10 - You can trade an old .44 for two new .22s

#9 - You can keep one handgun at home and have another for when you're on the road.

#8 - If you admire a friend's handgun, and tell him so, he will probably let you try it out a few times.

#7 - Your primary handgun doesn't mind if you have a backup.

#6 - Your handgun will stay with you even if you're out of ammo.

#5 - A handgun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.

#4 - Handguns function normally every day of the month.

#3 - A handgun doesn't ask "Do these new grips make me look fat?"

#2 - A handgun doesn't mind if you go to sleep after you use it.

AND THE NUMBER ONE WAY THAT A HANDGUN IS BETTER THAN A WOMAN . .

#1 - You can buy a silencer for a handgun!

Bwana
11-26-2003, 11:30 AM
"Brotherwanian will actually be back from on Christmas Leave from Army fun camp and catch the last weekend of shotgun season."

That's what it's all about right there....nice. :thumb:

ClearmontChief
11-26-2003, 11:50 AM
I got a nice 6 point with my bow. Actually, it would have been a 10-pointer...5 on a nice wide side, and the other side totally broke off about 3 inches from the head. Nice deer, big body, lots of venison burger!

My brother got a huge 18-pointer in Missouri last Thursday morning in gun season. It even had 2 points broken off, and has a drop tine. After several years at it, and several 'NICE' bucks, he's finally got a HUGE one. It's in the neighborhood of scoring 195-200. Needless to say, he's leading a couple of the big buck contests around home.

big nasty kcnut
11-26-2003, 11:55 AM
I wish i could hunt but with my ears messed up i can'ti can hear fine but it messed up enough that a gun would really mess them up.

Iowanian
11-26-2003, 12:01 PM
u culd always bow hunt silet but deadly deer die just as dead as if you used a gun to kill them with only you get to see more nature and hide high high in a tree and see lots of other animals so that is no excuse

Mojo Rising
11-26-2003, 12:21 PM
I went pheasant hunting twice this year. Got one the 1st time. Couldn't shoot the second because the fog was too thick.

Duck Dog
11-26-2003, 12:42 PM
Our duck season is over up here. Deer gun season is over, except muzzle loader. I got a doe with a bow the first week of bow season. Been hunting waterfowl and pheasants ever since. Not that great a year for ducks. Lots of ducks but we shot more geese. So far 72 geese were killed from our water blind. December 6th we can shoot 5 geese a day. I expect that number to go way up. Last year at this time we had twice as many. But we also shot 98 in ten days during early season last year.

Can't wait for some real snow so I can start killing fox and coyotes. If we get a real cold, bright day I may try to call one in this weekend.

I have a picture of buck shot about 20 miles from my house. He is a possible worlds record velvet. But it is in word format. How do I convert it to jpg?

UTChief
11-26-2003, 12:54 PM
I shot a nice antalope this year 15" tall and green scored 78" boon & crocket min is 82" I have 2 on my wall bigger but for the arrea I drew this was a verry good buck, the other two were shot in Whyoming.
My main priority this year was my 14 year old son this was his first year to hunt, we wen't to Idaho they have a good program set up for youth hunters can hunt at resedent cost until they are 17 I have been verry sucsesfull in Idaho in the past but this year wasn't as productive a lot of small bucks but not many big bucks I got him on a couple but he just didn't have enough time and didn't get a shot.

Duck Dog
11-26-2003, 12:58 PM
I shot a nice antalope this year 15" tall and green scored 78" boon & crocket min is 82" I have 2 on my wall bigger but for the arrea I drew this was a verry good buck, the other two were shot in Whyoming.
My main priority this year was my 14 year old son this was his first year to hunt, we wen't to Idaho they have a good program set up for youth hunters can hunt at resedent cost until they are 17 I have been verry sucsesfull in Idaho in the past but this year wasn't as productive a lot of small bucks but not many big bucks I got him on a couple but he just didn't have enough time and didn't get a shot.

Thats an excellent program for the kids. A lot of states have the recipricating license. As long as both states are part of it the youth can purchase licenses for resident prices.

Chiefnj
10-04-2004, 08:14 AM
BUMP

Bumping for the 2004/2005 hunting season.

Has bow season opened up yet for everyone?

I got lucky on opening day and bagged my personal best buck after only being in the stand a little over an hour. It makes up for going deerless the past couple of years.

On a more interesting note, a friend of mine shot doe on Saturday. It ran into a swamp and died. He laid his bow and fanny pack down on the dry land and waded in to get her about 30 yards away in thick brush in the mud/swamp/muck. To make a long story short, a black bear comes down the same trail he followed, crosses over his bow and pack and walks within 10 yards of my buddy. Since it was getting dark and he only had his gutting knife in hand, my friend decided discretion was the greater part of valor and backed away leaving the freshly gutted dear for the bruin. The odd part is that the bear didn't stop at the deer and continued to follow my friend. My friend backed out the other end of the swamp (the deep end), got lost for a bit, continued to "hear" the bear for about 45 minutes and finally made it out onto a familiar trail.

I went back with him yesterday to retrieve his gear, etc. We found what was left of the carcass. The bear dragged it about 50 yards into a dense thicket and half buried it. If the politics surrounding bear hunting in NJ ever gets settled, that is one bear that needs to be shot as it has no fear of humans.

PastorMikH
10-04-2004, 09:37 AM
Haven't even fired a shot yet - shoot, I haven't even been out where I could. :banghead:

I do have the barrel in for the 257 roberts Ackley improved that I'm building off a Mauser action. Hopfully in a few weeks I am out fire-forming brass and putting the final touches on it. I am hoping to have it done in time for deer season - my first rifle season in 7 years - and also am hoping to back some coyotes with it this winter.

oldandslow
10-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Don't bow hunt -- probably should though...

Anyway, have gone out for doves twice, and did ok - they have all moved south now...

Pheasant season starts for residents next weekend...and it is going to be a great year!!!! Lotsa birds.

I will try to shoot a goose or two before Jan gets here.

Have my deer tag. Doe (or antlerless as they say up here). Didn't win the lottery for a buck tag. Season runs the last week of Nov and first week of Dec as well as Jan 1-9. I am looking forward to that as well.

PastorMikH
10-04-2004, 10:34 AM
Have my deer tag. Doe (or antlerless as they say up here). Didn't win the lottery for a buck tag. Season runs the last week of Nov and first week of Dec as well as Jan 1-9. I am looking forward to that as well.

Sounds like you live in Kansas. While there, I opted to bow hunt for my buck because I could go statewide for either species. Really looking forward to rifle hunting for a buck this year!

oldandslow
10-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Pastor-

No, I live in South Dakota, but it sounds as if we have a similar system. I wish you luck with your rifle hunt.

I keep hoping the pastor of my church will some day go with me, but he is always soooo busy. I suspect you are as well - which means the days you get to yourself are enjoyed even more.

You folks have the toughest job in the world (although the retirement plan ROCKS).

Iowanian
10-04-2004, 12:59 PM
I haven't hunted anything yet.......I did put a new whisker biscuit on the bow and have been shooting........Bow season opened this weekend, but I won't go out until maybe this weekend, but probably a couple of more weeks.(too much foilage)

A biggun has been sighted where I bow hunt though...

I thought I'd worked with my lab enough to try pheasants.......thought I had good enough commands to try. Took him to a rural park I knew had pheasants(native prarie)......let him go........he ran like an absolute idiot.

I need a shock collar that will turn his pecker inside out if I push the button. That'll learn him.

seclark
10-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Pastor-

No, I live in South Dakota, but it sounds as if we have a similar system. I wish you luck with your rifle hunt.

I keep hoping the pastor of my church will some day go with me, but he is always soooo busy. I suspect you are as well - which means the days you get to yourself are enjoyed even more.

You folks have the toughest job in the world (although the retirement plan ROCKS).
mmm...dove hearts.
sec

PastorMikH
10-04-2004, 01:48 PM
Pastor-

Make sure and invite your Pastor again from time to time - it's sometimes a little awkward calling and asking someone to take you hunting.

I'm already letting the people know that I will be out of pocket more when hunting season gets here. I'm not bowhunting this year primarily because the places I have to hunt are enough of a drive that I don't want to have to fill up another vehicle a couple of times a week.

MOhillbilly
10-04-2004, 01:59 PM
I could of cliped one in the yard last night but didnt wanna drag it into the woods.
Since i put my food plots out i have seen alot lot more turkeys.