PDA

View Full Version : 2004 Free Agents. Who do we get? Get rid of?

BigRedChief
01-01-2004, 05:05 PM
Here's the list of Offensive Free Agents sorted by position:
http://nfldraft.theinsiders.com/2/198284.html

Here's the list of Defensive Free Agents sorted by position:
http://nfldraft.theinsiders.com/2/197716.html

Who's your #1 Free Agent pick up for the Chiefs? Champ Bailey, The "Freak" Kearse, Grant Winstrom, Charles Woodson, Sapp?

Want to know how the Free Agent system really works? Go here:
http://nfldraft.theinsiders.com/2/197449.html

BigRedChief
01-01-2004, 05:13 PM
Here's who I think we are keeping and getting rid of:

Hicks is out. His cap #'s, free agent status, ruckus in the locker room with Sims(who isn't going anywhere) comined with his play on the field means Happy Trails to you.
Tait will re resigned.

Spears isn't making a lot of money

Bartee gone. Unless he settles for less money.

Wesley gone. They won't pay his free agent money. They will spend it elsewhere.

Blaylock gone. He showed enough to be making more than the NFL minimum. thats all the Chiefs can afford for a 3rd string back.

New Punter

wazu
01-01-2004, 05:16 PM

You should have stopped this thought right after the word "gone". Bartee shouldn't be playing professional football, and I don't care if he'll work for food.

BigChiefFan
01-01-2004, 05:17 PM
To me,it's way too early to tell who will really be available.Some of these players will be retained by their current teams.

I disagree about Wesley.No way the Chiefs let him walk.

Sure-Oz
01-01-2004, 05:18 PM
I hope we re-sign Wesley and Tait for sure.

BigRedChief
01-01-2004, 05:23 PM
I hope we re-sign Wesley and Tait for sure.

I agree, those should be are only 2 that we pay out the money to keep. If the rest will work for cheap, okay. But I say pay Wesley and Tate the free agent money. I just don't think that King Carl is going to give Wesley the money.

whoman69
01-01-2004, 05:30 PM
Wesley has got to be a #1 priority. Baker can do better if just relegated to punting duties. He would be greatly complemented by Nick Kaeding in a Chiefs uniform next season. We will sign Blaylock if noone is willing to give him a shot as a #1 runner. Bartee is like Robinson, DV has not given up on him. If the cap numbers are right he stays unfortunately.

Coogs
01-01-2004, 05:38 PM
Here is a list from a couple of days ago, as opposed to early November...

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/2004FA/faboard.htm

After Tait and Wesley for sure from our team, I would target (if they are not franchised fy their teams) WR Jackson from Seattle, CB Winfield from Buffalo, and DE Howard from New Orleans or DE Wistrom from the Rams.

Here is a current list by position...

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/2004FA/fapos.htm

BigRedChief
01-01-2004, 05:48 PM
This Free Agent list is from December:

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/2004_free_agents.htm

penchief
01-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Keeping Wesley and Tait is a priority. Sign Antoine Winfield and make a deal for Mike McMahon. Sign Darrell Jackson if we can afford it, draft defense, and replace Robinson with a competent defensive coordinator.

wolfpack0735
01-01-2004, 06:13 PM
resign wesley,tait. go for jackson or someother big name wr that can run and CATCH the ball. then sign beef at the middle of the d-line. also if we can get a good DE. then send grboob to germany to coach some jr. high team. hire a "DC". :thumb:

alanm
01-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Wesley has got to be a #1 priority. Baker can do better if just relegated to punting duties. He would be greatly complemented by Nick Kaeding in a Chiefs uniform next season. We will sign Blaylock if noone is willing to give him a shot as a #1 runner. Bartee is like Robinson, DV has not given up on him. If the cap numbers are right he stays unfortunately.Kyle Larson the All American punter from Nebraska wouldn't be a bad low rnd. draft pick either.:thumb:

Coogs
01-01-2004, 06:27 PM
This Free Agent list is from December:

http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/2004_free_agents.htm

Sorry BRC! Didn't mean for that to sound as rude as it did. The one I clicked on was the defensive one, and didn't include Howard. Sorry! :toast:

FloridaChief
01-01-2004, 06:31 PM

You're insane if you don't think they're gonna retain one of the top 5 safeties in the league. Besides, that position doesn't command much of the cap

Chiefaholic
01-01-2004, 06:31 PM
FA's I'de like to see return...

1. John Tait- Part of the success of our offense has to do with consistancy and chemistry in the O-Line. I'de hate to see Tait go considering the #2 guy is a huge question mark (Spears, Williams).

2. Greg Wesley- He's quickly becoming one of my favorite players on defense. He's a sure tackler and will flat out lay the wood to the opponent. His presence will be missed on the field. But, Shaunard Harts has ben playing his arse off too. I'de like to keep both, but Wesley is replaceable if his money will bring in a quality player at another defensive position.

3. Kendall Gammon- Sure, his name doesn't even get spoken on Sportscenter. But, when you're the best in the league at what you do, your name should be a priority in the offseason. We've taken a long snapper for granted for many years in KC (kind of like we used to a kicker). He'll resign for near the league minimum, so it shouldn't be a big deal.

4. Eric Hicks- I promise that a quality DT next to Sims will bring back the Hicks we used to see a couple of seasons ago. If the opponent's interior line starts to collape, Hicks will have another 8-10 sack season. Of course, if we could land a big name DE for a little more money, he's replaceable.

5. Blaylock- I have him at #5 because they're not going to let Johnson rot on the bench for another season. He's shown flashes when given the opportunity this year to get the attention to a few of the HB starved teams. I'de like to have him back. But, money will likely be a major issue in keeping him.

TRR
01-01-2004, 06:56 PM
I would love to pull out a speed rusher ala Jevon Kearse in place of Eric Hicks as Vonnie Holliday can play whatever side of the line you want him to, and a big 600 pound DT that eats up the run like nobody's business. Other than that, I'm pretty happy with the WR corp. A top flight WR would only cause problems because Holmes, Gonzalez, Morton, Kennison, and Hall all want to be involved in the O, but there all pretty solid friends and don't mind seeing the other catch 5 balls while they get zero. That's why a Terrell Owens or even a Darryl Jackson would be risky to bring in, especially if the O starts to falter at times.

I love Derrick Blaylock as well, but I want to see what Larry Johnson brings to the table, and with DB here, we will never know what LJ brings us. (We might not know until Holmes is gone) I don't see Blaylock being a starting RB anywhere, ever. He's a quality backup and special teams player, but we have a lot of money invested in LJ.

Ecto-I
01-01-2004, 07:41 PM
I would also like to see Dunn resigned. He's our sixth O-lineman.

jiveturkey
01-01-2004, 07:49 PM
I forgot out Dunn. He should be 3rd behind Wesley and Tait.

Blaylock should be 4th and since he's a RFA we might get a pick for him if some snatches him up.

Hicks can stay or go. I really think that he's better than what we've seen over the last 2 years but replacing him with Kearse or Winstrom would be an improvement.

Alphaman
01-01-2004, 07:55 PM
I would also like to see Dunn resigned. He's our sixth O-lineman.

I agree.

My re-signs are: Tait, Wesley, Gammon, Dunn, Hicks

I'd like to keep Blaylock but I don't think the Chiefs will. I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere, but he will recognize that LJ will be #2 next year. Of course, I'd try to trade LJ to bolster our D and keep Blaylock.

I'd really like to see the Chiefs sign Terrell Owens. The guy is a competitor. He wants the rock when play needs to be made. I like that. If we got him, I'd see Kennison getting cut/traded.

Owens, Morton, Hall, Boerigter and Ward would be a very good receiving corp. The issue would be getting Priest 25 carries, TO 7 catches and TG 7 catches per game. If we are able to run 30 times and pass 30 times (like we try to do) we should be able to make everybody happy. Morton would also make more big plays with this lineup. He'd almost always have single coverage or left uncovered.

I'd take a look at Kieth Traylor as a FA pickup. He'd fit right nicely next Sims.

Chiefs Pantalones
01-01-2004, 08:09 PM
I agree.

My re-signs are: Tait, Wesley, Gammon, Dunn, Hicks

I'd like to keep Blaylock but I don't think the Chiefs will. I doubt he gets a starting gig anywhere, but he will recognize that LJ will be #2 next year. Of course, I'd try to trade LJ to bolster our D and keep Blaylock.

I'd really like to see the Chiefs sign Terrell Owens. The guy is a competitor. He wants the rock when play needs to be made. I like that. If we got him, I'd see Kennison getting cut/traded.

Owens, Morton, Hall, Boerigter and Ward would be a very good receiving corp. The issue would be getting Priest 25 carries, TO 7 catches and TG 7 catches per game. If we are able to run 30 times and pass 30 times (like we try to do) we should be able to make everybody happy. Morton would also make more big plays with this lineup. He'd almost always have single coverage or left uncovered.

I'd take a look at Kieth Traylor as a FA pickup. He'd fit right nicely next Sims.

Why would you want to keep Hicks? Dude's a bum.

I say pick up Wistrom or Kearse, and move Holliday to LDE.

Coogs
01-01-2004, 09:00 PM
I guess I have a different approach to the draft and Free Agency than most. I feel that any help we get on the defensive side should mainly be supplied by the FA route. Here is why....

On offense we line up like this (Age will happen during the 2004 calander year)

Green 34
Richardson 33
Holmes 31
Tait 29
Shields 33
Wiegmann 31
Waters 27
Roaf 34
Gonzo 28
Morton 33
Kennison 31
Andersen 44

Key backups

Collins 33
Spears 33
Willis 31
Gammon 36
Dunn 31

While we are not exactly dinasours on offense, we are no longer spring chickens on that side of the ball. I would use FA to bolster the defense, which is mostly on the low side of 30, and use the draft to start re-stocking the offense (to go along with what we did last draft with Black and Williams). The players drafted would be in a great position to learn from some of the best in the business for a year or two while our veterans wind down wonderful careers.

As TRR stated in an earlier post, he would hate to bring in a WR to break up the chemistry. But Jackson is only 25, and may be as good as any WR we could draft. That would leave a draft spot open for another position on the offense.

I would also try and bring in a couple of younger solid defensive players, to save the draft picks for the offense. CB's Winfield and Woodson are only 27, and DE's Howard is 27 and Wistrom is 28.

I'll target my draft picks at a later date, but one of them is slotted for Nate Kaeding, the kicker from Iowa.

Alphaman
01-02-2004, 07:02 AM

A couple of reasons:

1) I think he has been hindered by GR and is better than what he has been allowed to show.

2) I'd prefer to go after Terrell Owens than Wistrom or Kearse.

Redcoats58
01-02-2004, 07:11 AM
I would say number one priority would be to lock up Tait. We don't need to mess with the chemistry of the OL. JMO

BigRedChief
01-02-2004, 08:18 AM
Sorry BRC! Didn't mean for that to sound as rude as it did. The one I clicked on was the defensive one, and didn't include Howard. Sorry! :toast:

No biggie. No worries mate.

Gammon will not get more than the league minimum for being a long snapper. He will reup with the Chiefs. He may think that perfect snaps for 3 years should get you more than the league minimum but this league won't pay more than that for a long snapper.

I wouldn't worry about the age of our offense. IMHO, we have next year and then our window of oppertunity closes. Priest will be 33. Trent 36? Recievers will be over the hill. Offensive line will be old. Free agency. Salary Cap. etc etc. We can't fix all those issues at once or in the next couple of years. We just have to enjoy the ride right now.

To the Super Bowl Baby!

Ralphy Boy
01-02-2004, 09:17 AM

Don't see it. First off, how qualified are YOU really to say that? Having said that, if Robinson said the same thing, I'd ask him the same question. Hicks is the last 10+ sack player we've had on this horrid defense, has been stuck under Robinson every since and yet people are saying things like "he's a bum". How the hell do YOU really know he's a bum? He had a bad year as did Browning, but to say he's a bum is very subjective, IMO. Spending premier money on a guy like Kearse who'll demand it, or Wistrom who'll be a step below Kearse, isn't going to fix what's really wrong with this defense. Hicks has over 100 tackles and more than half the time is pulled on third downs, so you can't really judge his performance based on sacks alone. It's hard for a defensive player to be good in this defense.

htismaqe
01-02-2004, 09:22 AM
Spending premier money on a guy like Kearse who'll demand it, or Wistrom who'll be a step below Kearse, isn't going to fix what's really wrong with this defense.

Yes, it most certainly will.

After Robinson, the biggest problem with this defense is the horrible combo of Hicks and Browning.

htismaqe
01-02-2004, 09:24 AM
And Hicks DOES NOT HAVE over 100 tackles.

According to Stats, Inc. who keeps OFFICIAL stats for the NFL, he was THIRTY SEVEN.

Just say no to Terrell Owens!

Chief_Maniac
01-02-2004, 09:29 AM
Deftinaly say no to Terrell Owens. He's not DV's profile if you don't recall that Monday Night Game or Sunday Night Game where he was interviewed. Sorry, I don't need Owens to be messing up our chemistry.

BigRedChief
01-02-2004, 09:30 AM

After Robinson, the biggest problem with this defense is the horrible combo of Hicks and Browning.

I agree Hicks and Browning have been an extreme letdown.

It seems that you are confusing past performance with the "what have you done for me lately" mentaility of the NFL. My wife puts up with a lot of "Chiefs stuff" from me but one time we met Eric Hicks and he was as nice as he could be, signed her Chiefs shirt etc....probably bought me some more time doing more "Chiefs Stuff", but we need to seperate the person off the field from the one on the field. I don't think anybody here thinks Hicks is a bum personally., just that his performance on the football field has been lacking to say the least....

Ralphy Boy
01-02-2004, 09:49 AM

Don't see it, but okay.

And Hicks DOES NOT HAVE over 100 tackles.
I like how the stats for the game last Sunday showed he was over 100.

Should've checked the source of the info before posting it. All I do know is that I'd be more inclined to replace Browning than Hicks.

the Talking Can
01-02-2004, 09:56 AM
I had no idea Hicks still played for the Chiefs...he must wear an invisible uniform, very sneaky....

We have to sign Wesley and Tait...letting Wesley go would be insane, plus Safties don't cost much relative to other positions....

Alphaman
01-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Deftinaly say no to Terrell Owens. He's not DV's profile if you don't recall that Monday Night Game or Sunday Night Game where he was interviewed. Sorry, I don't need Owens to be messing up our chemistry.

First of all I realize it is highly unlikely that the Chiefs even talk to Terrell Owens (TO) let alone sign him. But since we are talking about wishes, I included him as my top FA acquisition.

Many here say he doesn't fit the profile. Please provide specifics as to how. I'm not interested in his flamboyance as an entertainer (i.e. the sharpie and the pom poms). I'm interested in what he has done to hurt team chemistry. There was the Cowboys' Star incident, but I believe he is past that.

The reason I ask is because what I recall is him complaining about not getting the ball enough when they were losing. 2 points:

1) I want a playmaker on my team who wants the ball when we are losing. I love his competitive fire.

2) Gonzo made the same complaint last year and the year before. Yet he still fits the profile.

Alphaman
01-02-2004, 11:48 AM
Let me also revise the other FA I'd go after. Before I said Keith Traylor. I would go after Robaire Smith from the Titans instead of Traylor.

Also, here's an interesting site for free agents. Hicks is graded out as #5 of the DEs.

2004 Free Agents (http://www.thehuddlereport.com/2004FA/fapos.htm)

Brock
01-02-2004, 11:51 AM
Many here say he doesn't fit the profile. Please provide specifics as to how. I'm not interested in his flamboyance as an entertainer (i.e. the sharpie and the pom poms). I'm interested in what he has done to hurt team chemistry. There was the Cowboys' Star incident, but I believe he is past that.

You're kidding, right? He's been feuding with Jeff Garcia for years.

andoman
01-02-2004, 11:56 AM
First of all I realize it is highly unlikely that the Chiefs even talk to Terrell Owens (TO) let alone sign him. But since we are talking about wishes, I included him as my top FA acquisition.

The reason I ask is because what I recall is him complaining about not getting the ball enough when they were losing. 2 points:

1) I want a playmaker on my team who wants the ball when we are losing. I love his competitive fire.

2) Gonzo made the same complaint last year and the year before. Yet he still fits the profile.

Have you missed his tirades on the sidelines? There's a time and place for expressing you opinion. On the sidelines during a game yelling at your coaches is not it. He has no respect for his coaches.

He's bad news.

Logical
01-02-2004, 11:57 AM
Here's who I think we are keeping and getting rid of:

Hicks is out. His cap #'s, free agent status, ruckus in the locker room with Sims(who isn't going anywhere) comined with his play on the field means Happy Trails to you.
Tait will re resigned.

Spears isn't making a lot of money

Blaylock gone. He showed enough to be making more than the NFL minimum. thats all the Chiefs can afford for a 3rd string back.

New Punter

Wow do I ever disagree with you.

Hicks, maybe out I am guessing not.

Spears will be gone.

Bartee will be gone

Wesley will be retained and is a priority

Tait will be retained

Blaylock is a restricted free agent and as our 2nd stringer and only reliable blocking halfback behind Priest he will be retained.

We have a lot of cap room so I do not see money for Blaylock and Wesley as being the issue. On Tait we may have to use the tag on him.

htismaqe
01-02-2004, 11:58 AM

Gonzo never YELLED at coaches and teammates on the sideline, DURING a game.

Only guys like TO and Rich Gannon do stupid shit like that. He should be avoided like the plague.

Logical
01-02-2004, 12:04 PM
I forgot out Dunn. He should be 3rd behind Wesley and Tait.

Blaylock should be 4th and since he's a RFA we might get a pick for him if some snatches him up.

Hicks can stay or go. I really think that he's better than what we've seen over the last 2 years but replacing him with Kearse or Winstrom would be an improvement.

Problem with the pick for Blaylock scenario is that it would be late round pick since he was a late round pick. Definitely not equal value considering how well he has developed.

BigRedChief
01-02-2004, 12:17 PM
Wow do I ever disagree with you.

Hicks, maybe out I am guessing not.

Spears will be gone.

Bartee will be gone

Wesley will be retained and is a priority

Tait will be retained

Blaylock is a restricted free agent and as our 2nd stringer and only reliable blocking halfback behind Priest he will be retained.

We have a lot of cap room so I do not see money for Blaylock and Wesley as being the issue. On Tait we may have to use the tag on him.

That was a guesstamate of what I thought would happen, not what I thought they should do.

They should let Hicks go

They should re sign Wesley

They should re sign Tate

If the price is right...resign Blaylock and Spears

Alphaman
01-02-2004, 12:18 PM
Gonzo never YELLED at coaches and teammates on the sideline, DURING a game.

Only guys like TO and Rich Gannon do stupid shit like that. He should be avoided like the plague.

Valid point...Very valid point. I had forgotten about that. I'd still sign him, but that would be a discussion point during negotiations and a contract stipulation.

Alphaman
01-02-2004, 12:20 PM
On Tait we may have to use the tag on him.

My guess is that we would use the transition tag on him. If it came down to it, we'd probably use the franchise tag on Wesley. The cap hit for a top 5 safety would be feasible.

BigRedChief
01-02-2004, 01:58 PM
I don't think King Carl wants to use the franchise tag on a safety. that tag would be used up for the length of the contract. 3-4 years? Thats a lifetime in the current NFL.

Rain Man
01-02-2004, 02:08 PM
Also, here's an interesting site for free agents. Hicks is graded out as #5 of the DEs.

2004 Free Agents (http://www.thehuddlereport.com/2004FA/fapos.htm)

Great site. There will be a lot of top-notch CBs out there this offseason, and a couple of them will actually find themselves on the market, I bet. While we have greater needs in other areas, this is good news.

KHinz57
01-02-2004, 02:18 PM
I think our offseason signing of the year in 2004 should be Antwain Winfield, moving Eric Warfield to William Bartee's current spot at the nickle back position where Warfield excelled before taking over as a cornerback. Basically we replace Bartee with Winfield in essence, anyone disagree with this move? I think not!

Ralphy Boy
01-02-2004, 02:38 PM
I don't think King Carl wants to use the franchise tag on a safety. that tag would be used up for the length of the contract. 3-4 years? Thats a lifetime in the current NFL.
It never works out that way, don't you remember that Gonzo & Shields were both franchised? Both signed long term contracts, are still playing under those contracts and yet we can still use the franchise tag on someone else.

Logical
01-02-2004, 02:43 PM
It never works out that way, don't you remember that Gonzo & Shields were both franchised? Both signed long term contracts, are still playing under those contracts and yet we can still use the franchise tag on someone else.

That is because they both signed right before the season so that the tag could be removed. It has worked out that way so far, hopefully it will continue to do so.

J Diddy
01-02-2004, 02:59 PM

they didn't tag shields, they signed a long term deal right before he would have been a free agent. The rest is correct though.

craneref
01-02-2004, 03:02 PM
I think Tait will sign another contract, he feels part of that O-line and there is something to be said about that. I believe that we will not retain both Blaylock and LJ, tough decision, Blaylock more polished right now, but has been here three years, LJ has the potential to be really good if not great, but there is that "potential" word. I would like to add at least one physical corner, bring back the days of Lewis and the physcial corner play. That helps with the D-line and Linebackers. This is especially true when we come with the blitz, I swear I scream every time we come with a good blitz, and the corners are playng back in the club level of Arrowhead and theQB completes that quick slant. I want those receivers JACKED-UP at the line so the QB has to throw it away or eat the ball. GO CHIEFS.

BigRedChief
01-02-2004, 03:38 PM
What's the point of having physical corners in this scheme????

I submit in honor of the famous saying " You might be a redneck if..."

You might have a problem with your defensive scheme if.......

"your corners are lining up 15 yards off the ball and the recievers on a planned blitz"

craneref
01-02-2004, 03:56 PM
What's the point of having physical corners in this scheme????

I submit in honor of the famous saying " You might be a redneck if..."

You might have a problem with your defensive scheme if.......

"your corners are lining up 15 yards off the ball and the recievers on a planned blitz"

I have already decided that G-Rob and this scheme will not return next year, either by his choice or the beat up van and multiple rolls of duct tape than I have. :p

Alphaman
01-02-2004, 04:28 PM
That is because they both signed right before the season so that the tag could be removed. It has worked out that way so far, hopefully it will continue to do so.

Actually here is how it works. Carl tags the player, let's say Shields. He then has a period of time to sign the guy. If he doesn't sign within that period, then he has to either sign the franchise tender (a 1 year contract) or any long term deal he signs will have the tag attached to it. This is where Carl plays hard ball (and for the Carl bashers, he should at this point). Carl will not agree to a long term deal until the 1 year franchise tender is signed. That way they can simply do an extension or a new contract that is effective at the end of the 1 year contract and still have the franchise available.

Wesley is a great candidate because he will command top 5 safety money, but that will not be as big of a hit on the cap as Tait would be as a top 5 tackle. Remember, Gonzo wasn't a big hit on the cap while franchised because he was to be paid as a top 5 TE.

BigRedChief
01-03-2004, 12:45 AM
Actually here is how it works. Carl tags the player, let's say Shields. He then has a period of time to sign the guy. If he doesn't sign within that period, then he has to either sign the franchise tender (a 1 year contract) or any long term deal he signs will have the tag attached to it. This is where Carl plays hard ball (and for the Carl bashers, he should at this point). Carl will not agree to a long term deal until the 1 year franchise tender is signed. That way they can simply do an extension or a new contract that is effective at the end of the 1 year contract and still have the franchise available.

Wesley is a great candidate because he will command top 5 safety money, but that will not be as big of a hit on the cap as Tait would be as a top 5 tackle. Remember, Gonzo wasn't a big hit on the cap while franchised because he was to be paid as a top 5 TE.

I like your scenerio. I think that maybe we do have a chance to re sign Wesley.

2bikemike
01-03-2004, 12:51 AM
This defense need all the help it can get. There is no way they let Wesley walk. That dude should be going to Hawaii this year. Not sure how all the details will work. But I think he stays. I think he will want to be here.

I just hope if Robinson is retained Wesley doesn't decide it would be better to move on.

CASHMAN
01-03-2004, 12:53 AM
Isnt WOODS a FA?? if so i would re sign him:) and i talked to a friend tonight who knows burntee and he said that he is allready talking to other teams one i remember him saying was the dolphins let them have him.

CASHMAN.

BigRedChief
01-03-2004, 01:01 AM
Bartee isn't a loss...Wesley would be a loss...

BigChiefFan
01-03-2004, 01:23 AM
Isnt WOODS a FA?? if so i would re sign him:) and i talked to a friend tonight who knows burntee and he said that he is allready talking to other teams one i remember him saying was the dolphins let them have him.

CASHMAN.
So it sounds like we won't be retaining Bartee.Hmmmm. :hmmm:

philfree
01-03-2004, 01:44 AM
If Miami is talking with Bartee wouldn't that be considered tampering? I think we deserve one of their draft picks.

PhilFree :arrow:

Alphaman
01-03-2004, 07:00 AM
If Miami is talking with Bartee wouldn't that be considered tampering? I think we deserve one of their draft picks.

PhilFree :arrow:

More than that, Bartee had better have his head deep in preparation for next Sunday. Since Vermeil seems intent on playing him in the nickel spot, he will be very important for our SB run. Teams will throw at him, so he'd better be ready.

Chris Meck
01-03-2004, 10:56 AM
Judging by the lists, I don't see a whole lot out there that will be immediate upgrades. The first 10-13 or so FA's are all likely to be tagged, so forget about the T.O.'s and McCalister's and Champ Bailey's.

Winstrom might be the higest ranked player on that board that doesn't get franchised. He'd be a good pick-up, and his prior history with Vermeil might make that a good bet. He would, imo, be an upgrade of a slight amount; I think Hicks gets a bit of a raw deal. He's a better player than most give him credit for. It's just that Holliday is a very similar player and already under contract, so Hicks would be odd man out. Holliday goes to Hicks' spot, Winstrom to Holliday's.

No Winstrom, re-sign Hicks.

There are a few corners that would be worth looking at; Antoine Winfield for one. I no longer see this as a dire need position, however; I'd be willing to go into battle next season with McCleon/Warfield and young Mr. Battle waiting and learning in the wings.

There's also no impact WR's there; probably gonna have to look in the draft for a 'sleeper'. No Meshawn, thank you. No T.O. either. Not 'profile' guys.

I think I'd probably just re-sign my own guys, maybe some middle range depth people from FA and look to the draft. Just my opinion.

Chris

Rausch
01-03-2004, 11:05 AM

CASHMAN.

If we don't resign Woods I'll lose my fuggen mind....He's my favorite defensive player on this team and our only probowler....

LVNHACK
01-03-2004, 11:06 AM
If we don't resign Woods I'll lose my fuggen mind....He's my favorite defensive player on this team and our only probowler....

IIRC JW is not a FA but Wesley is...............

Rausch
01-03-2004, 11:24 AM
IIRC JW is not a FA but Wesley is............... :)

LVNHACK
01-03-2004, 11:28 AM
We keep Tait Wesley

We go after Winstrom,Berry, and either Winfield,Vincent, Taylor..........

Rausch
01-03-2004, 11:41 AM
We keep Tait Wesley

We go after Winstrom,Berry, and either Winfield,Vincent, Taylor..........

I'd love either Winfield or Taylor..... :drool:

LVNHACK
01-03-2004, 11:52 AM
I'd love either Winfield or Taylor..... :drool:

Yeah really and Winstrom or Berry at DE............. :thumb:

Rausch
01-03-2004, 12:00 PM
Yeah really and Winstrom or Berry at DE............. :thumb:

I think we've got a better chance to get Winstrom than any other high profile FA....

I think he'd want to play for DV... :)

LVNHACK
01-03-2004, 12:02 PM
I think we've got a better chance to get Winstrom than any other high profile FA....

I think he'd want to play for DV... :)

I agree............. :thumb:

Alphaman
01-03-2004, 03:40 PM
OK....I concede that we will not go after TO because he doesn't fit the profile. The one non-Chief free agent I would go after would be Robaire Smith from the Titans. He's a really good DT that has helped them be #1 against the run. Smith and Sims backed up by Sharpe and Browning.

The Titans will have cap problems again and will be concentrating on Kearse.

go bo
01-03-2004, 03:44 PM
OK....I concede that we will not go after TO because he doesn't fit the profile. The one non-Chief free agent I would go after would be Robaire Smith from the Titans. He's a really good DT that has helped them be #1 against the run. Smith and Sims backed up by Sharpe and Browning.is he a true nose tackle type, or an "under tackle" like sims??

wow ~ 6'4" & 310 with 4 yrs. experience ~ sounds lovely!!

Alphaman
01-03-2004, 04:07 PM
is he a true nose tackle type, or an "under tackle" like sims??

wow ~ 6'4" & 310 with 4 yrs. experience ~ sounds lovely!!

I'm just guessing here, but I think he plays the nose tackle spot because I perceive Haynesworth and Sims to be the same type of player. I could be wrong though.

BigRedChief
01-04-2004, 08:55 AM
We can afford him. He fits our team.

Bring on Robaire! Sign him up now King Carl!

Alphaman
01-04-2004, 02:16 PM
OK....I concede that we will not go after TO because he doesn't fit the profile. The one non-Chief free agent I would go after would be Robaire Smith from the Titans. He's a really good DT that has helped them be #1 against the run. Smith and Sims backed up by Sharpe and Browning.

The Titans will have cap problems again and will be concentrating on Kearse.

If we are not going to go after TO, then I'd consider Kevin Dyson. He was the WR drafted before Moss by the Titans. He's coming off of a knee injury however.

Ecto-I
01-04-2004, 04:55 PM
I think we also need to make sure to resign big Jason Dunn.

BigRedChief
01-05-2004, 11:18 AM
I like the duct tape idea.

Coogs
01-05-2004, 11:27 AM
I read something interesting over on a Browns BB that I hadn't considered concerning Tait.

Tait was/is a LT and would be an improvement for many teams at their LT position.

LT's make more money than RT's, so it could be very expensive to resign Tait.

Alphaman
01-05-2004, 12:23 PM
I read something interesting over on a Browns BB that I hadn't considered concerning Tait.

Tait was/is a LT and would be an improvement for many teams at their LT position.

LT's make more money than RT's, so it could be very expensive to resign Tait.

I'm guessing that he receives the transition tag. We'll have the right to match any offer he receives. Yes we will have to pay for him, but at least we won't be left out in the cold.

Alphaman
01-05-2004, 12:24 PM
I think we also need to make sure to resign big Jason Dunn.

agreed

Chiefnj
01-05-2004, 12:39 PM
Hopefully the Chiefs will not need a NT because GR and his scheme will be gone.

BigRedChief
01-05-2004, 01:06 PM
I agree. They can transition Tait and put the "Franchise" tag on Wesley if worse came to worse.....

50yrplan
01-05-2004, 01:15 PM
I'm just guessing here, but I think he plays the nose tackle spot because I perceive Haynesworth and Sims to be the same type of player. I could be wrong though.

Haynesworth is a monster at 6-6 330 . Sims is trying to be one at 6-3 300.

Chiefnj
01-05-2004, 01:28 PM
Haynesworth is a monster at 6-6 330 . Sims is trying to be one at 6-3 300.

Sims is bigger than 300lbs. KCChiefs has him at 315.

BigRedChief
01-05-2004, 02:27 PM
He certaintly ain't playing "big" right now....

Alphaman
01-05-2004, 02:36 PM
I agree. They can transition Tait and put the "Franchise" tag on Wesley if worse came to worse.....

That's how I'd do it.

BigRedChief
01-06-2004, 08:00 AM
You think King Carl will agree?

BigRedChief
11-11-2004, 10:12 PM
A blast from the past. How right were you?

LiL stumppy
11-11-2004, 10:15 PM
wow

el borracho
11-11-2004, 10:16 PM
A blast from the past. How right were you?
That's weird. I am bored, but not bored enough to dig through 6 pages of old posts to find mine. Go figure.