PDA

View Full Version : Rain Man - Modifiers?

KCWolfman
02-09-2004, 09:07 PM
Do we get modifying adjustments to the rolls as we fly more missions and become more experienced?

Trying to scam anyway I can so that gobo can hit a single target.

ChiefJustice
02-09-2004, 09:18 PM
Does flak discriminate when it hits a rookie or a veteran plane?

I do think he takes into consideration the number of missions though.

KCWolfman
02-09-2004, 09:40 PM
Does flak discriminate when it hits a rookie or a veteran plane?

I do think he takes into consideration the number of missions though.
It does if I am smart enough to get that rookie to fly below me.

Rain Man
02-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Yes, there are modifiers. Pilots get better at landing, bombers get better at hitting the target, etc., after they've completed ten missions. Gunners get better after they get five kills.

Now, in our game that's all a bit muddled, because these missions have already been run. Over the past few years, I ran missions for 23 planes using those rules, but instead of just repeating those planes' fates here, I randomly shuffle the mission results. What that means is that the above adjustments don't necessarily correlate to individual gunners, pilots, etc. You'll all get better on average, but you may be an ace one day and a rookie the next. There was no way around it other than to just repeat the missions verbatim.

trndobrd
02-10-2004, 09:16 AM
Yes, there are modifiers. Pilots get better at landing, bombers get better at hitting the target, etc., after they've completed ten missions. Gunners get better after they get five kills.

Now, in our game that's all a bit muddled, because these missions have already been run. Over the past few years, I ran missions for 23 planes using those rules, but instead of just repeating those planes' fates here, I randomly shuffle the mission results. What that means is that the above adjustments don't necessarily correlate to individual gunners, pilots, etc. You'll all get better on average, but you may be an ace one day and a rookie the next. There was no way around it other than to just repeat the missions verbatim.

Why don't you just generate new missions for the 20 planes here? If it took you two years to generate the missions you are using now, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do new ones. If you quit your job, never leave your house, and sleep 2 hours a day, I'm sure you can get these done in just a few weeks.

Rain Man
02-10-2004, 09:20 AM
That's a good idea. :hmmm:

Talisman
02-10-2004, 09:23 AM
Kevin, how much of what you type up is from the rolls of the dice and how much is artistic license?

Let's say a crew bails out over enemy territory. Does the game actually tell you which crew members meet up, how long a family hides them for, how they get captured, etc?

There must be a lot of detail in the charts to cover everything that can happen in the game.

Rain Man
02-10-2004, 09:34 AM
In that example, a lot is my own doing. The game's charts will just say whether a person was captured or escaped, but I created some new charts to randomly calculate how long it takes them to get captured or escape.

Papasmurf's encounter with the French girl was pure artistic license. If it had been randomly rolled on a chart, I imagine that it would have ended poorly when she said, "I don't do that" and called him a pervert.

The only other significant thing in the game that is not original is the wounds. I created a new chart to randomly roll for light wounds, serious wounds, and KIAs.

Aside from those two areas, everything else is rolled from the charts. I may embellish minor details from time to time, such as the order in which people bail out or how the plane behaves as it crashes, but it's all based on what the charts show as the damage and the effects of the damage.

Talisman
02-10-2004, 09:40 AM
Well, keep up the good work. It's a lot of fun reading about the details of what happens to everyone.

And it's a lot better than "Deep Red crashes." "Talisman is shot." "Rain Man bails out and escapes."

I'd much rather read "papasmurf hides out at a French farm, but is sent to jail for 3 months after violating a local goat."

Rain Man
02-10-2004, 09:45 AM
Talisman is shot after violating a local goat. Rain Man escapes.

Got it.

Talisman
02-10-2004, 09:51 AM
Talisman is shot after violating a local goat. Rain Man escapes.

Got it.
You need to work on your punctuation:

Talisman is shot. After violating a local goat, Rain Man escapes.

KCWolfman
02-14-2004, 01:50 AM
Papasmurf's encounter with the French girl was pure artistic license. If it had been randomly rolled on a chart, I imagine that it would have ended poorly when she said, "I don't do that" and called him a pervert.

You mean like in real life?