PDA

View Full Version : Broncos will gain one,lose out on many

BigChiefFan
03-01-2004, 05:01 PM
Broncos endure changing faces

By Adam Schefter
Denver Post Sports Writer

Post file / John Leyba
Offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam, on the bench during a defeat to the Kansas City Chiefs in 2003, has been told by the Broncos he will be cut. The Broncos are trying to clear space under the salary cap.

Take a look at the Broncos' roster now. It will look plenty different by the end of the week.

Broncos wide receiver Ed McCaffrey is expected to retire, though he could change his mind and accept a restructured contract.

Running back Clinton Portis will be traded to Washington for cornerback Champ Bailey and the Redskins' second-round pick.

Offensive tackle Ephraim Salaam has been informed he will be cut, though the Broncos would like to re-sign him.

Fullback Mike Anderson is weighing whether to accept a $1 million pay cut or uproot his family.

Linebacker Ian Gold, defensive end Bertrand Berry and fullback Reuben Droughns will be allowed to test the free-agent market.

Backup quarterback Steve Beuerlein, scheduled to earn $1 million in base salary this season, is likely to be released in yet another cost-cutting move.

Advertisement

And before tight end Shannon Sharpe makes a decision whether to play in 2004, the team that ended last season with the NFL's seventh-ranked offense is expected to open this season with a new starting backfield, at least one new starting offensive tackle, a new No. 3 wide receiver and a different offensive look.

"These are not players who didn't live up to what they were supposed to do," Salaam said during the weekend. "All of these people played well. Now you start to question what's going on here."

Answers will start filtering in as early as today, when McCaffrey could announce his decision.

McCaffrey did not return telephone calls Sunday, but two Broncos officials said they believe the popular wide receiver has decided to wrap up his NFL career after 13 seasons.

A series of injuries last season, most notably a concussion he suffered in the regular-season finale at Green Bay, forced McCaffrey to consider whether he wanted to incur more abuse.

When the Broncos told him they wanted to drastically reduce the $4.5 million base salary he was scheduled to make for the coming season, it forced McCaffrey to further examine his future. Most signs point to the end.

At least a temporary end has arrived for Salaam, who spoke with Broncos coach Mike Shanahan last week and learned Denver was unwilling to pay him the $5 million roster bonus due March 15 as well as his $1.4 million base salary.

"He said they wanted me back, but not at those numbers," said Salaam, who started Super Bowl XXXIII for Atlanta at right tackle and then the Broncos' playoff loss in Indianapolis at left tackle. "But I have no idea what will happen. I know teams need left tackles. And I have proven I can play both tackle spots at a high level."

Without Salaam, the Broncos' plan is to shift Matt Lepsis from right tackle to left tackle and move George Foster, last year's No. 1 draft choice, into the lineup at right tackle.

Only one problem: Lepsis has no interest in playing left tackle, as was the case when Denver unsuccessfully tried to switch him there two years ago.

"I've talked to Matt about playing left tackle, and he doesn't believe that he can," Salaam said.

The Broncos don't know whether the inexperienced Foster can play left tackle, either.

"I'm not trying to take anything from Matt or George, but it's really tough to play left tackle," Salaam said. "I was getting more and more comfortable as I played."

Lepsis and Foster are coming off surgeries.

Salaam's questions led to others, some involving the Broncos' second-rated rushing attack. This season, Denver will be without Portis and former assistant head coach Alex Gibbs, for starters.

"I can't foresee the future, but it doesn't make sense," Salaam said. "I mean, we had a great offensive line last year. We all played at a very high level, we played together, a lot of us played through injuries, but we put it together and had a good year.

"Now you want to change two major parts to that? Take away arguably one of the top three backs in the league, a great receiver, two all-purpose fullbacks and the greatest tight end of all time? I don't get it."

Footnote

The Broncos are in the market for a long-snapper. They decided not to tender a contract to Mike Leach, who also plays tight end.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 05:04 PM
The status for Ed and Steve have nothing to do with the trade. Anderson wanted out prior to the trade.

Salaam is a typical cap casulaty b/c of his number and would have been in that situation whether they kept Portis and paid him or not.

Salaam / Berry / Gold - might be in the same spot had they given Portis the big money, rather than Bailey.

I think they'll keep one of either Berry or Gold, though.

Chieficus
03-01-2004, 05:08 PM
But, heck...they're going to obtain the best young corner in the league...so its all good. He can even fill that 3rd receiver spot!!!

alanm
03-01-2004, 05:22 PM
The status for Ed and Steve have nothing to do with the trade. Anderson wanted out prior to the trade.

Salaam is a typical cap casulaty b/c of his number and would have been in that situation whether they kept Portis and paid him or not.

Salaam / Berry / Gold - might be in the same spot had they given Portis the big money, rather than Bailey.

I think they'll keep one of either Berry or Gold, though.You know Gold would look good in Red.... and Gold.:p

brent102fire
03-01-2004, 05:57 PM
So, this means Tait will not be the only top tackle in FA. I'm sure Salaam will have a few teams beating down his door. Maybe this is good news for the Chiefs who want to re-sign Tait. I don't see Ian Gold even being considered, unless he were to play in the middle. I wouldn't mind seeing Bertrand Berry in for a look, although he plays LDE and probably would have to switch to the RDE position. Who knows :shrug:

ArrowheadHawk
03-01-2004, 06:02 PM
But, heck...they're going to obtain the best young corner in the league...so its all good. He can even fill that 3rd receiver spot!!!
Have you ever heard of Terrance Newman?
He will end up being better than Bailey

teedubya
03-01-2004, 06:05 PM
The Donkos are imploding!!! Kick ass. First the Raiders...now the Donkos.

Introducing the 2004 AFC WEST CHAMPION KC CHIEFS.

TEX
03-01-2004, 06:20 PM
Salaam did not play that well last season. He was often injured. It's time for Floppy to hang it up. Sharpe will play one more year. They have many draft picks to fill holes.Their Defense will be solid IF it doesn't spring holes at LB and D-line becasue of FA losses.

Now, the bad news for the Donx. If you thought Lepsis HELD and CHOPPED at RT (as I did and most who line up against him) then get used to much more at L.T. He KNOWS he can't play the position, much less at the level the DONX need. It's doubtful that Foster can play LT, shoot, it remains to be seen IF he can even play RT, since he sat all of last season. Who knows who will line up at RB, but it won't be Portis and that's OUTSTANDING news. IMO, the DONX are making a HUGE mistake in thinking they can add any RB and he'll gain 1200. Maybe that was true in years past, but that was because of their O-line. Now, that it's up in the air, they're gonna find out that it ain't so easy to do. It's a good thing they have a mobile QB, because they're gonna need one because I see breakdowns on that O-Line coming from BOTH sides...

redsurfer11
03-01-2004, 06:39 PM
If it ain't broke, Fix it! If it wasn't for the injuries the Broncos had last year. They might have made a good run in the playoffs. Now they're trading the one player who could take them there again. Sure, Champ Bailey is a great player. But does he strike fear in opposing teams. NO. Is he going to stop Tony Gonzalez or Priest Holmes? NO.

Garcia Bronco
03-01-2004, 06:51 PM

I think they'll keep one of either Berry or Gold, though.

Gold, God bless him, wanted more cash than Wilson.

The only guy on that list we need to really keep is Berry.

tk13
03-01-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah that's an interesting move letting your star RB go because you feel your offensive scheming + O-Line will give you another big time back, but then you go out and switch up your O-Line too. Not saying it won't work, but I don't think we should just concede that Q-Griffin or whoever is going to blow up next year.... I'm not that familar with Foster though, so I shouldn't be the one talking about this.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 07:00 PM
I'm really hoping they keep Berry. As for switching up the Oline, I am fine with it as long as they get guys that can play. I think Salaam was a very solid player, but he wasn't all-world.

It's not like we're talking about Schlereth, Zimmerman or somebody like that - he's a guy that can be replaced.

TEX
03-01-2004, 07:24 PM
If it ain't broke, Fix it! If it wasn't for the injuries the Broncos had last year. They might have made a good run in the playoffs. Now they're trading the one player who could take them there again. Sure, Champ Bailey is a great player. But does he strike fear in opposing teams. NO. Is he going to stop Tony Gonzalez or Priest Holmes? NO.

Well, Taco does have a picture of Bailey stopping Priest... ROFL

TEX
03-01-2004, 07:25 PM
Yeah that's an interesting move letting your star RB go because you feel your offensive scheming + O-Line will give you another big time back, but then you go out and switch up your O-Line too. Not saying it won't work, but I don't think we should just concede that Q-Griffin or whoever is going to blow up next year.... I'm not that familar with Foster though, so I shouldn't be the one talking about this.

I'm not too sure that the DONX even know what Foster can do... :hmmm:

Braincase
03-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Somewhere in the Arrowhead complex, Gunther Cunningham teutonic laughter fills a dim office, a red pencil scratching off the name "Portis" from a short list of targets.

TEX
03-01-2004, 07:40 PM
Somewhere in the Arrowhead complex, Gunther Cunningham teutonic laughter fills a dim office, a red pencil scratching off the name "Portis" from a short list of targets.

Most excellent! And somewhere Al Saundars is laughing when he designs formations to allow Champ Bailey to take Johnny Morton out of the game plan! ROFL

TEX
03-01-2004, 07:42 PM

Most excellent! And somewhere Al Saundars is laughing when he designs formations to allow Champ Bailey to take Johnny Morton out of the game plan! ROFL

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2004, 07:44 PM

Yah, I bet Al is giggling like a little school girl. Or, maybe he's crying like a little vermiel...

TEX
03-01-2004, 07:49 PM
Yah, I bet Al is giggling like a little school girl. Or, maybe he's crying like a little vermiel...

Or maybe he's lying about it like a little RAT?

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Or maybe he's lying about it like a little RAT?

Now, why would Al lie to all the chiefs' fans? :rolleyes:

TEX
03-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Now, why would Al lie to all the chiefs' fans? :rolleyes:

Who knows? Maybe for the same reasons that the RAT lies to some of his players, and to some league officials? :hmmm:

listopencil
03-01-2004, 08:01 PM
Oh no! We made a questionable off-season move! And now the guys that were going to possibly leave regardless are...wait for it...possibly going to leave! There are arguments to be made for and against the trade, but it has nothing to do with these moves. If anything, this trade might cause Anderson to want to hang around a while. The only real concern in this article is the LT spot. It hasn't been settled yet, but Salaam isn't worth the money.

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2004, 08:54 PM
Who knows? Maybe for the same reasons that the RAT lies to some of his players, and to some league officials? :hmmm:

What are you talking about?

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 08:56 PM

I thought it took no effort on the part of KC in order to take Morton out of the game plan?

Frazod
03-01-2004, 08:58 PM
All I know is that if I were a Donx fan, I'd be furious about this. Seriously, utterly and completely furious. This just smacks of madness. The same kind of madness that kept Robinson as the Chiefs DC for three years.

I don't know if you guys are just putting on a brave face, or if you seriously buy into this shit.

And I'm not in Donx-bashing mode here. Looking at this objectively, it just seems insane.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 09:03 PM
All I know is that if I were a Donx fan, I'd be furious about this. Seriously, utterly and completely furious. This just smacks of madness. The same kind of madness that kept Robinson as the Chiefs DC for three years.

I don't know if you guys are just putting on a brave face, or if you seriously buy into this shit.

And I'm not in Donx-bashing mode here. Looking at this objectively, it just seems insane.

Frazod ... Broncos ... Objectivity. Stop it. ROFL

Seriously, I've read a lot of different thoughts on this one and I've listened to a lot of feedback on the radio and news.... everyone thinks Denver is making out like bandits on this deal. That's why I'm buying into this trade.

Denver gets a shutdown corner that immediately makes a difference. History has shown for 9 years - 4 RBs - that Denver can produce high caliber backs in that offense.

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2004, 09:07 PM

Why is this so insane? Portis is a very good RB, and nobody denys that, but in order to make a trade you have to give up something in order to get something.

The Broncos are getting, arguably, the best CB in the NFL (plus a second round pick). The Skins are getting, arguably, one of the best RBs in the NFL.

That is how a trade works (unless your the Vikings and want a RB, then you make really, really bad decisions).

craneref
03-01-2004, 09:09 PM

Seriously, I've read a lot of different thoughts on this one and I've listened to a lot of feedback on the radio and news.... everyone thinks Denver is making out like bandits on this deal. That's why I'm buying into this trade.

Denver gets a shutdown corner that immediately makes a difference. History has shown for 9 years - 4 RBs - that Denver can produce high caliber backs in that offense.

While that in itself can be argued somewhat effectively, the collateral damage has been overlooked except for this threads article. Throwing all that money at Bailey really doesn't allow the donx to do anything else. Not that I am complaining, as a CHIEFS fan, i love it when the donx do things that I think will hamper them. In my opinion, a year from now, donx fans are going to be wondering why they traded Portis away, and spent all their money on one very expensive DB, who only covers one receiver and may see up to 10 passes thrown his way in a game, instead of on a RB who realistically would carry the ball 20 to 30 times a game. Just doesn't pass the sanity test to me, but then I am not the mastermind (SARCASM). GO CHIEFS.

Bowser
03-01-2004, 09:10 PM

Bailey is a good land. I absolutely agree with you. But the question is---who's the next RB Shanny is going to pull from his arse? Someone on the roster, a draft pick, or can you afford to make a run at Dillon? Without a running game, defenses are going to tee off on Plummer. Your starting backfield is gone. Now what?

Frazod
03-01-2004, 09:15 PM
Well, God knows I certainly wish you guys the worst of luck here, so I'm feeling pretty good about this at the moment.

As for producing good position players, certainly you guys have been successful in the RB department. But nothing lasts forever. A proven RB makes much more of an impact than a proven DB, IMO. Portis seemingly ripped us a new one every time he touched the ball, yet no one has effectively managed to shut down our offense. Bailey can't cover everybody.

Anyway, I guess we'll all find out next year whether this is a genius move or a "genious" move. :D

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 09:16 PM
Bailey is a good land. I absolutely agree with you. But the question is---who's the next RB Shanny is going to pull from his arse? Someone on the roster, a draft pick, or can you afford to make a run at Dillon? Without a running game, defenses are going to tee off on Plummer. Your starting backfield is gone. Now what?

At the moment, they still have Mike Anderson. If he still wants out, they can get a pick for him. As well, they have Q Griffin - while small, showed flashes of being a nice RB last year. Aslo, they have A Galloway sitting in the wings. Galloway was a stud at Alabama b/f he tore up his knee. I have read where they really like his character, moves and ability.

So, right off the bat - they have those 3 guys on the team now.

Galloway is the kind of guy that Shanahan plucks from the draft that turns into something special, he'll have his chance to prove what he can do this offseason and during camp. I don't recall his size, I think he's 5'11 or something - so not a midget like QG.

As for Dillon ... sure, they can afford him. He has 2 years with $6M remaining on his deal with Cincy. They could trade for him, rework his deal into a 4 year deal with a $4M bonus spread out to lighten the impact and make his base number in the first 2 years very minimal. So, it could work.

Don't forget - 2005 is a good year for Denver with the cap... Griese and Davis (among others) will not count as dead money, those two alone bring back $8M+.

The cap can be worked.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 09:21 PM
While that in itself can be argued somewhat effectively, the collateral damage has been overlooked except for this threads article. Throwing all that money at Bailey really doesn't allow the donx to do anything else. Not that I am complaining, as a CHIEFS fan, i love it when the donx do things that I think will hamper them. In my opinion, a year from now, donx fans are going to be wondering why they traded Portis away, and spent all their money on one very expensive DB, who only covers one receiver and may see up to 10 passes thrown his way in a game, instead of on a RB who realistically would carry the ball 20 to 30 times a game. Just doesn't pass the sanity test to me, but then I am not the mastermind (SARCASM). GO CHIEFS.

Big money at Bailey or big money at Portis, either way ... someone was getting a sick bonus and count huge on the cap. Players were going to be cut or missed out on via free agency in either scenario.

Denver considered two options:
1- resign Portis to a big deal and try (again) to lure a FA or draft a stud CB
2- trade for Bailey and get that shutdown corner and then spend a draft pick or have QG, Galloway, Anderson be the main RB

They're rolling the dice with #2. We've all seen the lists of stud RBs that have no hardware. I mentioned them earlier. You do not need a top 5 RB to advance to and win the SB.

A shutdown corner on a defense that was already top 10 can help you get there and win it all. It's all a gamble, no doubt about it.

Bowser
03-01-2004, 09:31 PM
I will admit I know nothing of Galloway. Didn't even know you had a Galloway on your roster. Anderson is sounding like he is less and less interested in coming back (if it were me I would put HIM back at RB). And while I saw the game where Griffin tore up the Colts, and watched him put up big numbers at Oklahoma, I cannot see this guy being THE MAN week in and week out, ala Portis. He's a good third down, situational change of pace guy. Not a grind-it-out back that you're trying to nurse a two point lead with 3:30 to go in the game. I guess I'm asking if you are worried about your running game (not even to mention your new void at LT)?

craneref
03-01-2004, 09:32 PM
Big money at Bailey or big money at Portis, either way ... someone was getting a sick bonus and count huge on the cap. Players were going to be cut or missed out on via free agency in either scenario.

Denver considered two options:
1- resign Portis to a big deal and try (again) to lure a FA or draft a stud CB
2- trade for Bailey and get that shutdown corner and then spend a draft pick or have QG, Galloway, Anderson be the main RB

They're rolling the dice with #2. We've all seen the lists of stud RBs that have no hardware. I mentioned them earlier. You do not need a top 5 RB to advance to and win the SB.

A shutdown corner on a defense that was already top 10 can help you get there and win it all. It's all a gamble, no doubt about it.

If I remember right, the donx did not win a Superbowl until they had a stud at RB, and that was with the great Elway and a pretty good D. The defensive road worked for the Ravens, but the donx are no Ravens, nobody else in the league has Ray Lewis. I don't buy that the D won it for the Pats, because they couldn't stop the Cats when they had to. The Pats was right combination at the right time. But I give you credit for the gamble remark, Portis could have ended up injured, but I still htink you could have gotten Portis for cheaper than Bailey is going to cost you, certainly cheaper the Redskins got him for. GO CHIEFS.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 09:35 PM
If I remember right, the donx did not win a Superbowl until they had a stud at RB, and that was with the great Elway and a pretty good D. The defensive road worked for the Ravens, but the donx are no Ravens, nobody else in the league has Ray Lewis. I don't buy that the D won it for the Pats, because they couldn't stop the Cats when they had to. The Pats was right combination at the right time. But I give you credit for the gamble remark, Portis could have ended up injured, but I still htink you could have gotten Portis for cheaper than Bailey is going to cost you, certainly cheaper the Redskins got him for. GO CHIEFS.

Sure - they would have paid a bit less for Portis. My point is they would have then brought in a lesser valued FA corner. Then, we would have Denard Walker or Tyrone Poole all over again. Nice corners, but not shut down players.

As for the Broncos and winning with Davis... it's a different team, different components. You're really not suggesting that the Pats have an "all right" defense are you? The SB was definitely more prolific on offense than ANYONE imagined, I can't explain it. But, they rode that defense, as did the Panthers all year.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 09:37 PM
I will admit I know nothing of Galloway. Didn't even know you had a Galloway on your roster. Anderson is sounding like he is less and less interested in coming back (if it were me I would put HIM back at RB). And while I saw the game where Griffin tore up the Colts, and watched him put up big numbers at Oklahoma, I cannot see this guy being THE MAN week in and week out, ala Portis. He's a good third down, situational change of pace guy. Not a grind-it-out back that you're trying to nurse a two point lead with 3:30 to go in the game. I guess I'm asking if you are worried about your running game (not even to mention your new void at LT)?

I do not thing that QG is a 25 carry RB. I do wish that Anderson would come back and try to win back the starting role. However, I'm not concerned that we won't have a 1200 yd RB this year. Yes - the issues with the Oline continue to concern me. I like Salaam and he will be missed if he signs elsewhere, but he's not a guy that can't be replaced. We're not talking about Zimmerman here.

Tombstone RJ
03-01-2004, 09:39 PM
I do not thing that QG is a 25 carry RB. I do wish that Anderson would come back and try to win back the starting role. However, I'm not concerned that we won't have a 1200 yd RB this year. Yes - the issues with the Oline continue to concern me. I like Salaam and he will be missed if he signs elsewhere, but he's not a guy that can't be replaced. We're not talking about Zimmerman here.

Also, the Broncos have the olineman they signed in the off season, Alexander. I think they have a lot of confidence in him to step in and play. Also, the Broncos still have Brockermeyer (sp?).

Bowser
03-01-2004, 09:46 PM

I'm not trying to pile on here, but it just seems to me like you know the RB situation will clear itself up. How? With the O-line in flux and no proven RB (at this time), it seems like Shanny has gotten himself into a bit of a bind. If it were me, and we just traded Priest for Charles Woodson and Willie Roaf retired, I'd be pissed/worried. Like I said, not trying to beat on you about this, just seems like you got the silver lining before the dark cloud.

craneref
03-01-2004, 09:52 PM
Sure - they would have paid a bit less for Portis. My point is they would have then brought in a lesser valued FA corner. Then, we would have Denard Walker or Tyrone Poole all over again. Nice corners, but not shut down players.

As for the Broncos and winning with Davis... it's a different team, different components. You're really not suggesting that the Pats have an "all right" defense are you? The SB was definitely more prolific on offense than ANYONE imagined, I can't explain it. But, they rode that defense, as did the Panthers all year.

I think the Pats were over rated as a defense, yes they were good, but not as dominant as everyone has said. They beat the donx with offense, not defense. They beat the Dolphins with offense. Even though they had an excellent goal line stand, it was the offense that forced the Colts to have to score a TD. Maybe I am jsut thinking from a CHIEFS point of view, no way I give up Priest for a corner. Tell me, you are not a least bit concerned about giving up Portis. It is this kind of talk from donx fans that has me shaking my head. The donx fans I work with seem to be in agreement with me. GO CHIEFS.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 09:58 PM
I'm not trying to pile on here, but it just seems to me like you know the RB situation will clear itself up. How? With the O-line in flux and no proven RB (at this time), it seems like Shanny has gotten himself into a bit of a bind. If it were me, and we just traded Priest for Charles Woodson and Willie Roaf retired, I'd be pissed/worried. Like I said, not trying to beat on you about this, just seems like you got the silver lining before the dark cloud.

I see your point ... but, Salaam is no Roaf and Woodson is no Bailey.

All I can say is that I've been a Broncos fan since the mid 80s and I remember the never-ending quest for that featured RB. During the last 9 years of the Shanahan era, I've watched top notch RBs grow on trees.

So, I'm relying on Shanahan's judgement... if anything I trust 100% his ability to establish a kick ass and dominating running game.

I've seen Davis .. Gary ... Anderson ... Portis... the track record is there.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 10:01 PM
I think the Pats were over rated as a defense, yes they were good, but not as dominant as everyone has said. They beat the donx with offense, not defense. They beat the Dolphins with offense. Even though they had an excellent goal line stand, it was the offense that forced the Colts to have to score a TD. Maybe I am jsut thinking from a CHIEFS point of view, no way I give up Priest for a corner. Tell me, you are not a least bit concerned about giving up Portis. It is this kind of talk from donx fans that has me shaking my head. The donx fans I work with seem to be in agreement with me. GO CHIEFS.

I'm nervous as hell about losing Portis ... I'm relying on history to repeat itself. Like I've said, there is depth in Denver with Anderson - if not him, QG or Galloway have tenure in the system and have great potential.

I'm looking at what I feel is the greater good of this trade... but, yes, I am nervous as hell about losing Portis. No denying.

RealSNR
03-01-2004, 10:02 PM
hehe... Salaam reminds me of that scene from Family Guy

"All in favor of keeping the name Bugs Bunny say 'I'"

"All in favor of changing it to 'Ephram the Retarded Rabbit', say 'I'"

craneref
03-01-2004, 10:05 PM
I'm nervous as hell about losing Portis ... I'm relying on history to repeat itself. Like I've said, there is depth in Denver with Anderson - if not him, QG or Galloway have tenure in the system and have great potential.

I'm looking at what I feel is the greater good of this trade... but, yes, I am nervous as hell about losing Portis. No denying.

Now that I can buy into. Never anything bad about looking for the positive. Bailey is a great corner, just think that Portis was too high of a price to pay. Jsut bothers me when some donx fans act like they are trading Sammy Winder for Ronnie Lott and two first round picks. But you explained yourself well for a donx fan. Are you sure you are not a closet CHIEFS fan. GO CHEIFS.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 10:09 PM
Now that I can buy into. Never anything bad about looking for the positive. Bailey is a great corner, just think that Portis was too high of a price to pay. Jsut bothers me when some donx fans act like they are trading Sammy Winder for Ronnie Lott and two first round picks. But you explained yourself well for a donx fan. Are you sure you are not a closet CHIEFS fan. GO CHEIFS.

Ahhh, the days of Sammy Winder... it seems so long ago. The 3-Amigos... Simon Fletcher, Mecklenberg, Dennis Smith, young Atwater, Steve Watson, Tom Jackson.

TEX
03-01-2004, 10:09 PM

That's honest enough. Especially when you consider that your o-line is in flux as well. It might not be as easy to pencil in another 1300 yard RB. All Portis needed was the slightest take-down and he was gone. That my friend is gonna be hard to replace.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 10:22 PM
That's honest enough. Especially when you consider that your o-line is in flux as well. It might not be as easy to pencil in another 1300 yard RB. All Portis needed was the slightest take-down and he was gone. That my friend is gonna be hard to replace.

Eh, it will all work out ... simply because it has to work out. :p

patteeu
03-01-2004, 10:39 PM
What must Jake Plummer be thinking? He left a pathetic offensive supporting cast in Arizona to come to Denver where he was surrounded by solid (and in some cases spectacular) talent. Now Shanahan is tearing it all down around him. ROFL

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 10:48 PM
What must Jake Plummer be thinking? He left a pathetic offensive supporting cast in Arizona to come to Denver where he was surrounded by solid (and in some cases spectacular) talent. Now Shanahan is tearing it all down around him. ROFL

I'm certain there is a plan... it's early, let's see how things shake out by training camp.

stevieray
03-01-2004, 11:15 PM
I've seen Davis .. Gary ... Anderson ... Portis... the track record is there.

everyone knows how they got those yards.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 11:25 PM
everyone knows how they got those yards.

Cool, then it shouldn't matter if we have Portis or not.

Frazod
03-01-2004, 11:29 PM
Cool, then it shouldn't matter if we have Portis or not.

Just hope you don't get the same officiating crew that called that Indy playoff game very often. They started calling that offensive holding shit early on, and your guys crumpled like an empty can of Coors Light.

Mile High Mania
03-01-2004, 11:31 PM
Just hope you don't get the same officiating crew that called that Indy playoff game very often. They started calling that offensive holding shit early on, and your guys crumpled like an empty can of Coors Light.

It was just one of those days... :banghead: all right, carry on fellas - I'm out of here.

Ebolapox
03-01-2004, 11:39 PM

quick, tell me who was the last non-hall of fame qb that took the broncos to the playoffs?? wait, john elway??

who's the last hall of fame qb that took any vermiel team to the playoffs??

oh wait, vermiel's won without HOF qbs... seems that would be harder to do, don't you think??

wow, coaching skill... who's the genius, who isn't??

-EBOLA-

Mile High Mania
01-03-2005, 05:01 PM
I was reading my rep comments and clicked on this thread... reading the comments from back in March are kinda funny.