PDA

View Full Version : Lional Dalton!!!!

BigChief68
03-26-2004, 10:44 PM
810 am radio has reported that the Chiefs signed him.Cant find anything to confirm it yet!!

JazzzLovr
03-26-2004, 10:46 PM
If this is true, RR will be terribly disappointed.

Logical
03-26-2004, 10:47 PM
I am fine with it, not really awe inspiring but maybe he will finally realize the potential he holds.

Katie
And....we signed him why??? Do you think Gunther actually pushed for that if this is true?

Miles
I would really prefer Hand.

RealSNR
03-26-2004, 10:48 PM
I have mixed feelings.

He means more depth. I'm happy about that. He probably doesn't cost that much (at least I hope he doesn't cost that much). I'm happy about that.

One bad thing is the immense ribbing from the one-eyed wonder Taco weasel and his two balls.

One factor seperates the two. If he performs for us like he was supposed to for Dungver, I say kickass! If he plays/acts like he did in Dungver, I say nein.

Still, it's some depth.

JazzzLovr
03-26-2004, 10:49 PM
I would really prefer Hand.

You might want to phrase that a little more carefully.

tk13
03-26-2004, 10:50 PM
Eh, the guy's still young, considering the Broncos just signed a safety and RB that might already have a combined 2 and a half legs in the NFL graveyard already, they have no room to talk. :D

Bowser
03-26-2004, 10:51 PM
:LOL:
It's gettin' late when Jazzz starts throwing out pennis jokes!

tk13
03-26-2004, 10:51 PM
Yeah, if we were going after Jerry Ball on top of that then we'd really have some problems....

Logical
03-26-2004, 10:54 PM
If this is true, RR will be terribly disappointed.

As will endo, I think he likes giving RR a hard time about the lame thread theme.

JazzzLovr
03-26-2004, 10:57 PM
:LOL:
It's gettin' late when Jazzz starts throwing out pennis jokes!

o:-)

Yeah, I'm stuck at home since I can't drive, so I'm bored. And I had to start working an earlier shift this week, so I'm tired besides. Not a good combination. :)

Bob's Your Uncle
03-26-2004, 10:57 PM
I think this is a good signing. He's 6'1 309 lbs, so definitely big enough to play in the middle. DEFINITELY an upgrade over Downing.

go bo
03-26-2004, 11:00 PM
You might want to phrase that a little more carefully.ROFL :clap: :clap: :wayne: :wayne: :D

Bowser
03-26-2004, 11:01 PM
o:-)

Yeah, I'm stuck at home since I can't drive, so I'm bored. And I had to start working an earlier shift this week, so I'm tired besides. Not a good combination. :)

I feel for ya! I hate not being able to go out and about when I choose! Changing shifts is a drag, also. It takes a couple of weeks, for me at least, to adjust. But I'm a wuss when it comes to such things. :huh:

listopencil
03-26-2004, 11:03 PM
He wasn't horible when he played for us, he just didn't really play very hard. If he ever gets his head on straight he would be a really good D-Lineman. His conditioning would also be suspect, as he has a tendency to eat poorly and slack in the gym. If you get him for peanuts with no bonus like we got Hearst then he's worth a shot.

big nasty kcnut
03-26-2004, 11:04 PM
jazzz get a scooter. So you can go down to the bar and party. Then call a taxi to drive you back home .

Frazod
03-26-2004, 11:04 PM
He wasn't horible when he played for us, he just didn't really play very hard. If he ever gets his head on straight he would be a really good D-Lineman. His conditioning would also be suspect, as he has a tendency to eat poorly and slack in the gym. If you get him for peanuts with no bonus like we got Hearst then he's worth a shot.

I would imagine that peanuts with no bonus is the only way we're getting ANYBODY this year. :banghead:

tommykat
03-26-2004, 11:06 PM
810 am radio has reported that the Chiefs signed him.Cant find anything to confirm it yet!!

Any other source?

listopencil
03-26-2004, 11:06 PM
jazzz get a scooter. So you can go down to the bar and party. Then call a taxi to drive you back home .

Am I getting tired or are you making more of an attempt to create coherent posts?

TEX
03-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Well Taco, now Priest really does have a friend... ROFL

tommykat
03-26-2004, 11:12 PM
Who is this guy? Never heard of him.............sorry

Logical
03-26-2004, 11:13 PM
Am I getting tired or are you making more of an attempt to create coherent posts?

Definitely tired

big nasty kcnut
03-26-2004, 11:16 PM
Well listo glad you've been paying attention.

TEX
03-26-2004, 11:18 PM
Who is this guy? Never heard of him.............sorry

He was an "up and coming" young D-lineman for the Ravens a few years ago. The CHIEFS were interested in him, but Denver picked him up as a FA and paid him more than many thought he was worth. He didn't work out too well for them because he was unmotivated and landed in the "Little Man's" dog house at the end of the '02 season. Dalton said he was in the best shape of his playing career last year, but the damage was already done. Denver traded him to Washington at the end of last pre-season for a # 6. Washington cut him a month or so ago.

the Talking Can
03-26-2004, 11:21 PM
he MIGHT be better than Downing....I guess this is good news....

Brock
03-26-2004, 11:22 PM
I was happier when we hadn't signed anybody.

tommykat
03-26-2004, 11:25 PM
He was an "up and coming" young D-lineman for the Ravens a few years ago. The CHIEFS were interested in him, but Denver picked him up as a FA and paid him more than many thought he was worth. He didn't work out too well for them because he was unmotivated and landed in the "Little Man's" dog house at the end of the '02 season. Dalton said he was in the best shape of his playing career last year, but the damage was already done. Denver traded him to Washington at the end of last pre-season for a # 6. Washington cut him a month or so ago.

Thank you...:thumb:

Logical
03-26-2004, 11:27 PM

Definitely more potential. I think the Roadgrader is an overachiever while Dalton has been an underachiever.

Chiefnj
03-26-2004, 11:29 PM
If he signed for league minimum I guess the competition between him and Downing would be good.

I think I'd prefer an old and oft-injured Hand instead.

4th and Long
03-26-2004, 11:35 PM
Whats with some of the negativity with this possible signing of Lional Dalton? There are worse Lionals, or Lionels for that matter, we could have signed.

http://www.cattdaddy.com/nilks/lionel.jpg
Lionel Richie

I don't think we need a singer on the team. Do you?

http://www.phsclassof1983.com/images/misc/jeffersons.jpg
Lionel Jefferson

The guy could have brought controversy to the team by marrying a white woman. His short, obnoxious, racist father screaming at the coaching staff from his seat would not set well with many fans.

See? It could be worse. :p

keg in kc
03-26-2004, 11:58 PM
I can't think of anything witty to say.

Slow night.

chiefscafan
03-27-2004, 01:45 AM
is this true>>>>

|Zach|
03-27-2004, 01:59 AM
I was happier when we hadn't signed anybody.

Spoken like a true planet member.

papasmurf
03-27-2004, 06:47 AM
The sky is falling...........................

LVNHACK
03-27-2004, 06:49 AM
If the $$$$$$ was right why not.............?????........At this point almost any move is a good move........

old_geezer
03-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Like I said earlier; if he signed for the league minimum there's no way this is bad. We need to put all the competition on the field as we can for our under-achieving defense of last year. If he sucks as bad as he has for the last few years we just cut him. No big deal.

BigChief68
03-27-2004, 08:10 AM

Im begining to think this was a bogus statement or 810 might have jumped the gun. I havent been able to find anything else about it and havent heard anything else on 810 about it. Please dont :bang: me if im wrong.

tomahawk kid
03-27-2004, 08:16 AM
I wonder is Norman Hand being released had anything to do with the lack of info. on Dalton. Things may have changed......for the better....

Frazod
03-27-2004, 11:40 AM
So did we sign this guy or not?

Rausch
03-27-2004, 11:48 AM
AWESOME!

With this underachieving piece of $#it we no longer only have Bartee or Gunther to blame for lackluster performance should everything not click this year!

The spin will be ripe...

Titus will be pleased....

Ultra Peanut
03-27-2004, 11:52 AM
I can't think of anything witty to say.Welcome to my life.

FloridaChief
03-27-2004, 12:01 PM
So did we sign this guy or not?

I've found nothing to indicate we signed Dalton...

Mr. Laz
03-27-2004, 12:34 PM
ehhh ... neither good or bad

as long as we didn't pay him too much, we might as well give him a shot.

maybe it works out .... or we can just cut his @ss before the season starts if he doesn't shape up.

Mr. Laz
03-27-2004, 12:45 PM
if you look at his numbers, he's never really done much

Mr. Laz
03-27-2004, 01:08 PM

Red Dawg
03-27-2004, 06:00 PM
yay! We got an FA

Frazod
03-27-2004, 06:02 PM
yay! We got an FA

As far as I can tell, we've just got an unsubstantiated rumor.

TEX
03-27-2004, 06:11 PM
Man, Dalton's head barely fits in that square... :hmmm:

Ultra Peanut
03-27-2004, 06:37 PM
Man, Dalton's head barely fits in that square... :hmmm:Yeah. His smile makes Black Baby Jesus cry.

KCFANinNC
03-27-2004, 07:43 PM
With those stats he better be a hell of a run stopping CLOG.

Ultra Peanut
10-08-2004, 06:47 AM
I had to scour this thread and make sure I didn't dog him (or at least his playing ability) before bumping this thread.

teedubya
10-08-2004, 06:58 AM
We got Lional Dalton?? :cuss: Damnit Carl!

We all know he SUCKS! Why wont do anything in the offseason?

Fuggin pick up a WR or a CB!!!! wtf!!!!!!!!!

the Talking Can
10-08-2004, 07:36 AM

I am a prophet.

tiptap
10-08-2004, 07:46 AM
Every Play Counts: Chiefs’ Front Seven

By Michael David Smith

The Chiefs’ defense got off to a bad start on Monday night. Facing the Baltimore Ravens, the team with 2,000-yard rusher Jamal Lewis and an abysmal passing game, the Chiefs started the game with four defensive linemen and four linebackers on the field – a formation that practically screams to the opposition, “We dare you to pass on us.”

So what did the Ravens do on the first play against this defense that was stacked to stop the run? They handed off to Jamal Lewis for a gain of 18 yards. Ouch. On that first play defensive tackle John Browning bought a fake so completely that ABC ought to hire him as a cameraman, and Lewis ran right where Browning should have been.

I watched the Chiefs’ front seven on every play of Monday night’s contest, and on that first drive I thought I was going to see some of the worst defense the NFL provides. Later in the drive I saw Chiefs tackle Ryan Sims trip, I saw Ravens tackle Orlando Brown manhandle Chiefs end Eric Hicks, and I saw end Vonnie Holliday provide absolutely no pass rush on a third down conversion pass by Ravens quarterback Kyle Boller.

But by the end of the game that Boller pass was still the Ravens’ only third down conversion, and I had seen some good stuff from the Chiefs’ front seven. This unit will never be confused with the 1985 Bears, but neither is it the worst in the league.

This was an atypical game in that the Chiefs’ offensive game plan was obviously an attempt to keep their defense off the field – runs and short passes were the order of the day. The Baltimore offense, likewise, was only too happy to oblige the Chiefs’ plans by giving Jamal Lewis the ball only 15 times, even though he was effective when he got the chance. And let’s remember that I’m judging the Chiefs’ front seven against an offense with a bad quarterback and bad receivers but a great left tackle in Jonathan Ogden. I tried to adjust my grades to consider who the matchups were, but that’s not always possible.

Every NFL team has its own method for grading players, but I simplified things by simply counting good plays and bad plays. Here’s what I found:

Player ______Position _____Good plays __Bad plays
Lionel Dalton _____DT _________7 _______2
Eric Hicks ________DE _________4 _______2
Scott Fujita _____OLB _________2 _______1
Monty Beisel _____MLB _________2 _______4
Gary Stills ________DE _________1 _______0
Junior Siavii _______DT _________1 _______2
Kawika Mitchell _____MLB _________1 _______2
Shawn Barber _____OLB _________1 _______3
Ryan Sims ________DT _________0 _______3
Vonnie Holliday _____DE _________1 _______8
John Browning _____DT _________0 _______7

Note that Fujita and Sims both left the game because of injuries. Fujita looked pretty good before he left; on one play he made a tackle for a loss even though the entire defensive line in front of him got pushed back by the Ravens’ offensive line.

I had never noticed Dalton before, but he really stuck out on Monday night. Dalton entered the league as an undrafted free agent out of Eastern Michigan, and he’s played with the Ravens, Broncos, and Redskins before the Chiefs signed him this year. It was a great signing. In fact, my biggest problem with the Chiefs was that they took Dalton out too often to rotate him with Sims, Browning, and Siavii. On the first three plays of the second half, Dalton got one sack and great penetration on the other two plays. Then, oddly, the Chiefs took Dalton out, and the Ravens almost converted on third-and-21. That same drive made me lose a lot of respect for Shawn Barber. On two different plays he dropped into pass coverage and lazily jogged around, looking only mildly interested in what was happening around him. I can’t imagine what Gunther Cunningham will say to Barber when they watch that series on film.

Beisel has been labeled a special teams player and nothing more, but in this game he was no worse than the Chiefs’ other linebackers, and he sure looks like he’s trying harder than Barber. He’s OK in pursuit on running plays, but he looks lost in pass coverage.

When he was on the Packers I always thought Vonnie Holliday was a good pass rusher and adequate against the run, but he’s terrible now. Aside from one third down pass he deflected, he did nothing. And if you’re thinking he did nothing because he was going against Jonathan Ogden, think again. On consecutive plays during the Ravens’ late-game drive that resulted in a Jamal Lewis touchdown, Holliday was single-blocked easily, first by tight end Terry Jones and then by tight end Daniel Wilcox.

Remember how badly the Chiefs wanted Sims in the draft? They made a big trade with the Cowboys to move up ahead of the Vikings, who also wanted Sims. The Vikings ended up with left tackle Bryant McKinnie, and the Cowboys took safety Roy Williams. Is there any doubt who got the worst of that? Sims was shoved five yards downfield on one play and eight yards downfield on another. I just don’t think he’s physically strong enough to compete as an NFL defensive tackle.

Watching this game made me think a lot of Greg Robinson, who was forced out as the Chiefs’ defensive coordinator in the offseason. The Chiefs’ front seven last year didn’t suffer because of bad schemes; it suffered because of bad players. The defense looks a bit better than it did last year, and if it continues to improve Robinson (I believe he means to say Gunther, not Robinson)will get the credit, but Dalton deserves it. He’s a player. If the Chiefs could find six more like him, they’d be on to something.

Each week, Michael David Smith looks at one specific player or one aspect of a team on every single play of the previous game. Standard caveat applies: Yes, one game is not necessarily an indicator of performance over the entire season. If you have a player or a unit you would like tracked in Every Play Counts, suggest it by emailing mike-at-footballoutsiders.com. Next week: A special edition we’ll call Every Team Counts.

posted 10-6-2004 at 10:03 AM by Michael David Smith || Every Play Counts http://www.footballoutsiders.com/ramblings.php?p=1828&cat=5

Good plays and bad plays were subjective in that he was willing to concede that Baltimores LT Ogden would win most matchups and from there it was judged about pancakes and impact in making assessment. Still it is good to have someone evaluate performance without rose colored glasses.

Chiefnj
10-08-2004, 07:54 AM
tiptap,

Good article you found there. You should start a separate thread for it. I don't know how accurate the author is, but it is interesting and thought provoking nonetheless.

the Talking Can
10-08-2004, 08:04 AM
I agree, that is worthy of its own thread....he trashes Sims/Barber/Holliday...good stuff