PDA

View Full Version : Dutton: Harvey glad to get out of left field

tk13
06-21-2004, 01:06 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/baseball/mlb/kansas_city_royals/8973119.htm

Harvey: no love for left field
Royals slugger glad his outfield stint is over for now

By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star

PHILADELPHIA — First baseman Ken Harvey survived his fourth game as a left fielder Sunday without a major incident. So he doesn't have to worry about playing there again until the Royals lose their designated hitter in a July 2-4 series at San Diego.

“Now,” he said, “I get to go back to a comfort zone.”

Well, probably.

“I would not be afraid to play Harvey in left,” manager Tony Peña said. “It's been a great experience for him.”

Maybe so, but Harvey wants no part of left field except on an emergency basis.

“It's not something I want to do,” he said. “I hope (Peña) is not planning to put me out there any more than necessary.”

Tonis makes debut

Rookie catcher Mike Tonis had a rough time in his major-league debut. He went hitless in three at-bats and was charged with a passed ball.

“He's going to get some more chances,” Peña said. “We need to find out if this kid can play.”

The Royals recalled Tonis from Class AA Wichita before Saturday's game after placing veteran Benito Santiago on the 15-day disabled list because of a broken bone in his left hand.

Tonis is the 22nd player to make his debut and the 98th player used by the Royals in Peña's 354 games as manager.

Appier update

Right-hander Kevin Appier allowed three runs and five hits in 2 1/3 innings Saturday night in Class AA Wichita's 10-6 victory over El Paso. Appier was making his second rehab start since a strained forearm forced him to the disabled list on April 24.

“My arm was much stronger,” Appier told The Wichita Eagle, “but I didn't have very good rhythm. It's understandable this early, but hopefully we'll get that corrected real quick. The good news is, my arm felt really good throwing.”

Staff change

The Royals fired Class A Wilmington, Del., pitching coach Reggie Jackson and replaced him with Randy Smith, who served in the past as a minor-league pitching coach in the organization.

“I just feel a change was needed,” said Shaun McGinn, the Royals' director of player development. “We've got some talented young pitchers at Wilmington who we need to get back on track.”

Jackson was in his first year with the Royals' organization after spending the last two seasons as a pitching coach in the Montreal system.

Smith served previously as a pitching coach for the Royals at Spokane and served on an interim basis last year at Wilmington when former pitching coach Bill Slack was sick.

Minor details

• Outfielder David DeJesus went three for five Saturday with two homers and three RBIs in Class AAA Omaha's 8-7 loss at Memphis. Infielder Mendy Lopez hit his seventh homer in 14 games. Reliever Justin Huisman allowed two runs in one-third of an inning.

• Right-hander Colt Griffin, the Royals' first-round pick in 2001, worked one scoreless inning in relief for Wichita. It was Griffin's debut at Class AA and his first appearance since the organization converted him to a reliever.

• Lefty Dusty Hughes lowered his ERA to 2.25 by working five scoreless innings but settled for a no-decision in Wilmington's 2-1 victory over Winston-Salem.

Etc.

• Third baseman Joe Randa, the Royals' hottest hitter, rested Sunday. Randa was 14 for 29 in his previous seven games. Desi Relaford played third.

• Shortstop Angel Berroa extended his hitting streak to six games with a single in the second inning. He is 11 for 26 in his last six games after going two for four.

• Phillies first baseman Jim Thome has 34 multihomer games in his career.

• Reliever Rudy Seanez worked two more scoreless innings. He has allowed just one hit in four innings in his three outings since arriving Wednesday from Omaha.

• Brian Anderson has allowed four earned runs in 12 innings as a reliever after giving up 51 in 58 2/3 innings as a starter.

On deck

The Royals have an open date today before opening a 10-game home stand Tuesday with the first of three games against the Detroit Tigers at Kauffman Stadium. The projected pitching matchups:

• Tuesday, 7:10 p.m.: LHP Jimmy Gobble, 3-4, 4.81 ERA, vs. Detroit LHP Mike Maroth, 5-4, 4.23.

• Wednesday, 7:10 p.m.: LHP Darrell May, 4-8, 5.96, vs. Detroit RHP Gary Knotts, 4-1, 4.25.

• Thursday, 1:10 p.m.: LHP Chris George, 1-0, 4.01, vs. Detroit LHP Nate Robertson, 5-3, 3.76