PDA

View Full Version : 24 Consecutive Blackouts????????

Ugly Duck
09-13-2000, 06:55 AM
Raider guys,

What's up with that? I understand that thanks to the 1-1 Broncos coming to Oaktown, the local yokels will now be able to watch the games from their homes.

24 straight games... that's like several years and stuff. Nothing like that never say die fan support.

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

milkman
09-13-2000, 07:05 AM
Brad - Don't pick on the poor Raiders, you have to remeber that they have not developed their own QB draft pick since the 60's, and in their best years in the 90's were nothing more then mediocre. Plus how can anyone get excited about a team that let Marcus Allen go to the Chiefs, still wears jump suites like it is the 60's and is still thinking that wearing Grandma glasses is gonna come into style?

Ugly Duck
09-13-2000, 07:06 AM
That's true... when do you think Al will finally realize that the game has passed him by?

milkman
09-13-2000, 07:12 AM
Brad - Probably about the time he realizes that he doesn't look as cool as he thinks he does. I still wonder if someone told him that, "Yeah that would look cool", but passed away before they could tell him they were just joking.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-13-2000, 07:18 AM
Bob Dole doesn't really feel Bob Dole is in a position to talk smack about the Raiders at this point in the season...

Sheesh...that's depressing.

milkman
09-13-2000, 07:24 AM
Dole - There is always room to talk smack about the team now known as the "Chiefs Cast-a-ways", 1 QB, 1 WR and 1 TE... I have never been impressed by a team that lives or dies on the legs and not the arm of their QB. They might use it to their advantage, but I'm not impressed.

Ugly Duck
09-13-2000, 07:34 AM
So, Morph...
That means you're not impressed by the Titans or Vikings, right?

Ugly Duck
09-13-2000, 07:36 AM
Did you guys realize that the Lions are 2-0 despite not having scored an offensive TD??

That's both weak and lucky. Tampa is gonna roll through that division.

milkman
09-13-2000, 07:38 AM
Brad - Correct. When you have Moss and Carter and your QB is running for TD's, there is something wrong. The titans QB has not be throwing the ball well this year either, evidant by the fact that their only TD's against us came off of a TE pass and the second string QB.

Lurker Brett
09-13-2000, 08:24 AM
If we all followed the Titans, think of the posts about McNair versus O Donnell. I knew we were in trouble when we knocked out McNair. Maybe I could see the soft zone coming.

Phobia
09-13-2000, 08:26 AM
I agree w/KCred. Taking McNair out of the game was the biggest factor to us losing that game.

O'Donnell even with the Steelers has had us for lunch in the past.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-13-2000, 08:28 AM
Again: Bob Dole could have passed at will on the defensive scheme we went to when O'Donnell came in.

Chiefaholic
09-13-2000, 11:41 AM
Hey MileHigh.....Your smaque about Raider attendance is valid. Please don't regard any explanation that you hear from me as an "excuse" for the worst attendance in the country. But I do recognize some factors that may have enough impact to help you with your, "Whats up with that?" question.

One factor is the disastrous move to LA. We lost a generation of fans during the Diaspora. The old-guard Raider Faithful couldn't take their kids to the game cuz the game was way down in Smogland. Those would-be young Raider fans jumped on the 9er bandwagon cuz that was the only game in town (and they were a fantastic team). Only winning will bring our young punks back into the Light, and we haven't won yet. Most old-team cities have an unbroken tradition of multi-generational fan support. Oakland is still healing from the Great Mistake.

Still, there is a hardcore fan base of 50,000 that get to the game whenever they can. The other seats will fill with shiny new Raider caps as the 9ers tank and the Raiders win. I don't think the 1-1 Donks are the attraction that is giving us the first hint of a sellout. Its the fickle nature of Man: everybody loves a winner, and Raider hopes are high for the first time in a long time.

This Denver game is worth zillions of future dollars to Oakland and the Raiders. We win, and the bandwagoners will come. We lose, and we'll see empty seats and lost moola. The Raiders are going to come at you guys like their future depends upon it.

mlyonsd
09-13-2000, 12:11 PM
WTF!!!... (#1) an 0 for 2000 Chief fan running smaque???
Morph, what QB have you guys developed??... All in recent memory were taken off the Niner scrapheap??? But you have done a wonderful job developing and drafting those RB's haven't you?? What you're best back in recent memory was an ex-Raider.....The back that we let leave because Bo was in the fold...remember him???....
Win ONE game ....beat the Niners (oops), the Brownies (wait they've won a game already)... the ladies of St Marys..... any game will do.... then run smaque... till then.... Bwahahahahaha

------------------

[i] All alone at the top!!</I>

milkman
09-13-2000, 12:13 PM
So you don't think that if Al Davis gets out of the contract with Oakland that he will not move it back down to LA? I think that is his goal, since it is now a market that he owns the right too(LOL).

milkman
09-13-2000, 12:28 PM
jq - Snuck your post in there, and I missed it. Okeye was our last inhouse RB, but of course a RBbC Raider fan might not remember that. In the QB area we are just about the same, no denying that, but we were looking for reasons that you guys can't sell out games. I guess I will pay attention to your smack when if and when you sweep us for the first time in ?.

Bwana
09-13-2000, 12:42 PM
HBoy

Beating the Chiefs a couple of times in a +10 year period allows you to run smack?????

Finish the season without self destruction, sell out all your home games, keep your stadium in one city for more than 10 years and keep your head coach longer than a CCR re-union tour standing ovation - then we'll talk.

milkman
09-13-2000, 12:48 PM
Chitown - Yeah, I know what your talking about. The Raiders are 2 games ahead of us, and still have 2 games against us to play, hmmm how odd. Until they beat us this year they have nothing to go with.

Bwana
09-13-2000, 12:51 PM
No Morph -

Until they beat us repeated, like we beat their asses for a 10 yr. period, they got nothing to talk about. Or, if they go the SB, they would surely be allowed to run their crooked mouths http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

milkman
09-13-2000, 12:53 PM
Chitown - Gannon! Superbowl! Now that is funny!

Bwana
09-13-2000, 12:56 PM
Morph - Although, sad to say, Grbac!Superbowl! sounds funnier http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

milkman
09-13-2000, 12:57 PM
Chitown - Yeah, but one of those 2 already has a ring, and it is not the old guy.

Bwana
09-13-2000, 01:00 PM
Morph - So does the groundskeeper at Candlestick, and he contributed much more to their success.

Chieficus
09-13-2000, 01:04 PM
Chitown:

Golly, no smack at all? You mean you're too sensitive to see it? That's too bad, really...

You mean self-destruction like KC's 1998 season-long implosion with the deplorable Monday night exclamation mark lowlight, or the 1999 play-yourself-out-of-a-division-title-and-playoff-spot-at-season's-end-two-games-in-a-row shuffle? That kind of self-destruction?

Until Raiders get to the Super Bowl? If that is a standard for smack talk your computer shouldn't be powered on. What has it been, 30 years now for KC? Or did KC get to the Super Bowl since 1970 and no one found out?

milkman
09-13-2000, 01:17 PM
Raider - Our melt down was so bad in 98 we only swept you once that year, so I guess you can't really harp on us to much for that. Then you take our backup QB the next year and he improves your 8-8 Jeff George team to an 8-8 Gannon Team. Whoopie!!!

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 09-13-2000).]

Bwana
09-13-2000, 01:22 PM
Raider Corporate - I'm reading between the lines, but.......

You're right. The Chiefs have been your beeeeatch for the last tens years. I was watching some other team beat the Raiders asses every year.

You're right. The Raiders have been the model of consistency over the last 10 years. Swiching Stadiums and City's and coaches, missing playoffs. I must be crazy thinking the Chiefs put together a great winning tradition in the 90's. Flawed thinking indeed.

Thanks for the education.

aaaaa
09-13-2000, 01:31 PM
I think California has one of those 3-strikes-and-you're-out laws. I don't know how the heck they expect Raider fans to fill their prisons AND their stadium at the same time.

milkman
09-13-2000, 01:35 PM
DanT - That would explain why they signed Rison, they are looking for a guy who can be in both crowds this year.

mlyonsd
09-13-2000, 02:36 PM
Chitown,

First off I ran retalitory smaque... and the past 10 years are about as relevant as the 20 previous to that.... the measure of past success is Super Bowls....

Run that BS smaque all you want for now.... but like I said win ONE game, then I'll take YOU seriously.... until then alot of KC fans are showing some serious frustration and RAIDER envy...

------------------

[i] All alone at the top!!</I>

Chieficus
09-13-2000, 03:48 PM
Morp:

Harping on your team is as easy as harping on my team. For example, 1998: KC boasted it would play to a 16-0 record and shut out half its opponents. Team starts out fast at 4-1 and screeches to a halt with six consecutive losses. Team implodes, setting new single-season standard to lead league in number of penalties and penalty yardage in the same year. Only team ever to do both in the same year! And, of course, there were your “part-time players” that set aside their full-time criminal activities long enough to assault opposing players on the weekends, occasional weekdays and holidays. Did their fans proud… 1999: Another nice start, posting 5-2 record. Resounding fan response that Gunther is their savior and KC going to the Bowl. KC proceeds to lose. Three consecutive losses stir doubts about team until they rattle off 4 straight wins, positioning themselves to take division title by winning one of last two games. Instead KC masters playoff choke maneuver during the season and coughs away last two season games to eliminate themselves from playoffs.

See how easy that was?<BR>

Chieficus
09-13-2000, 04:12 PM
Chitown:

Definitely, you’re reading between the lines, but from which post?

Somehow you believe KC is still better than the Raiders based on what happened last year, or the year before, etc., when the evidence your own team has provided in two games this year is that they may have difficulty getting to .500!

Right now, your team creates negative air pressure like a Hoover upright vacuum cleaner. That may change, but most of your brethren seem to think things will get worse.

Great. You put together a fantastic winning record in the 90s. Yeah, you beat up on the Raiders the last 10 years. What did it get you? How many more Super Bowl rings are on KC fingers? How many more did you get than the Raiders? The first question is subjective but the next two can be answered with a single word - "zero."

I can’t educate you and, apparently, neither can you...

Later.<BR>

Chiefaholic
09-13-2000, 04:55 PM
Looks like a blackout again. The Raiders need to sell 4,000 seats by 1:00 PM tomorrow. I predict that the stadium will be full of rowdy, roaring Raider fans, but the game won't well out in time to meet the deadline. Check this out from the San Francisco Examiner:

'Widespread optimism that the Oakland Raiders will be able to put a home game on television for the first time in three years against the Denver Broncos Sunday might turn out to be too optimistic.

According to figures released by the team, the Raiders had sold 53,500 tickets by Tuesday evening, leaving approximately 7,500 tickets to be sold by 1:05 p.m. Thursday in order to be able to declare a sellout and lift the local television blackout.

The team had sold approximately 3,500 tickets between Monday evening and Tuesday evening when the latest head count was taken.'

------------------
Lick Bush in 2000 !!!

milkman
09-13-2000, 05:05 PM
Duck - I will be honest here. That really sucks for any local fans. I remember the 80's here or more accuratly I can't tell you much about the 80's Chiefs because they were not on TV. I'm still not sure how teams are supposed to build a fan base in an area if they can't get on the air, which seems to be kind of a catch 22. I'm so glad that this is not the case here anymore.

Chiefaholic
09-13-2000, 05:24 PM
Hey Morphius....in lots of cities, media and local co-operates will buy up the remaining tickets to get the TV revenue and promote the the team. That will NOT happen in Oakland. The City and the team are suing the hell out of each other. For years the City has been run by a terribly corrupt bunch of criminal types (the guys who signed the Raider contract). Think what you will about ultra-liberal Mayor Jerry Brown, but he has been a pit-bull in rooting out the corrupt and inept City officals that have been taking advantage of their positions for so many years. The lawsuits will be settled, Oakland school children will finally get some textbooks, and the blackouts will lift as media and City officials cooperate. Things are getting better in Oakland.

milkman
09-13-2000, 05:51 PM
Duck - Yeah, that happened with the Rams last year, it was funny when they came on the BB bragging about their sellouts since they moved there, and were shocked to find out the reality. They have never done that in KC, which is kind of cool. I thought Davis was looking for Oakland to build him a new stadium, is he still fighting for that or not?

Chiefaholic
09-13-2000, 07:37 PM
Yo Morph.......Nobody really knows what Big Al is up to. But whomever he is aiming at better duck, cuz in the courts is, "Just win, Baby!". I think he's about to wrest control of the City of Oakland part of the deal, and control of marketing. And I think he's setting up to have whatever group is going to put an NFL franchise in LA pay through HUMONGOUS NOSTRILS for the right to the LA market. And I think he may be working on outright ownership of the NFL, too.

I've never talked to the guy, but have seen him plenty up on the club level. Some folks make fun of his sunglasses and sweatsuits. But he walks with the air of a man that doesn't give a bleep what people think of him (or what he wears). He's a national icon, and is greeted like the Emperor when he walks into the stadium.

Ugly Duck
09-13-2000, 07:59 PM
I kinda hate the 'blackout' rule. I mean, it's a bit pricy to take a family of four or more to a game. You would hope that a city large enough to have a team, could fill a stadium.

But, you nailed it - winning will change that. As for corporations buying remaining tickets in order to prevent a blackout, I think it's great... more companies should do it.

The Raiders should have a good team, so it will probably change. The thing that is odd to me is that the team can't sell out divisional games.

You're telling me that the Raiders couldn't fill the stands either year the Broncos were the champs?? That's just odd - you'd think that fans would show up with the hopes of watching a hated rival which just so happens to be the defending champ get beaten by the home team.

I dunno - that's just me. I live in Dallas and I hate the Cowboys - I only go if Denver is in town or if another badass team is in and it's not too damn hot. :grin:

If I lived in KC, Oakland, Seattle .. I'd defintely go to the divisional rival games when I had the chance. That's just me though.

milkman
09-13-2000, 07:59 PM
Duck - The whole LA thing is just stupid, though I don't think they deserve a team. Al's smartest move was letting Gruden decide the personal descisions for the team, he was doing a pretty bad job there. Of course if Grueden fails this year watch out. Just because he doesn't care what other people think about the way he looks, doesn't make it any better, of course that would make sense why he wanted to move back to oakland, where else was he going to find other guys wearing Grandma's clothes (grin). I don't think he really understands how ugly things are going to get if he tries to move back to LA.

Dave Lane
09-13-2000, 09:08 PM
24 straight blackouts?? It must suck to have to listen to all the home games on the radio.

Chiefaholic
09-13-2000, 09:10 PM
I rally don't think that Al wants to move back to LA. I think he wants someone to buy the right to play in LA from him.

There's 50,000 diehard fans at the home games. We have room for 13,500 bandwagoners. Looks like we'll only get 9 or 10,000 to show up for this Donks game. If we beat the Donks, the wagoners will show up for the remaining home games. If we lose to those subhumans AGAIN - we'll have to be leading the division near the end of the season to sell out. This is a bigger game for the Raiders and Oakland than it is for the Donks.

milkman
09-13-2000, 09:15 PM
Duck - I think he lost ownership of that when he moved out of LA, and I don't think that anyone in the NFL would vote with him on that one. I really think they should do it as a percentage of seats of the smallest stadium, instead of the home stadium. That way more team have a chance to show their games on TV and get fans in.

Ugly Duck
09-13-2000, 09:22 PM
Just read that Jano is 1 for 3 at kicking FGs and his longest is 24 yards. Great #1 pick.

Bob Dole
09-13-2000, 09:55 PM
I get denver feeds on my C-band.

If I did not have direct TV as well, I would only get to watch donkey games.

Buzzbait
09-13-2000, 10:20 PM
Pam, you can get sunday ticket with C-band...Joe

Bwana
09-14-2000, 08:25 AM
Raider Corporate -

You sound and come off like a snobby little _rick, which doesn't amaze me that much I guess. It's probably justified when you've been beaten as badly as you have been by both the Chiefs and Broncos over the last 10 years.

We were talking about running smack. I thought it was funny for Raiders fans to be running smack at Chiefs fans when all they have done is gone 2-0 to start the year. I gave my list that would impress me. If you don't like, I could give a $hit.

To reply to your question as to whether the last 10 years are relevant, yes they are. Over that 10 year period, we beat the team, repeatedly, I hate the worst. I base success on wins/losses. Greatness is based on Championships. We've eluded greatness, but have had tremendous success. Raiders have eluded both in recent memory.<P>

Chieficus
09-14-2000, 04:24 PM
Chitown:

It’s almost a comfort knowing you care enough to critique me and then offer justification. However since we are strangers to each other my only response is that you please refer to your post #44, paragraph two, sentence four.

Yes, I saw your previous posts, and they are as important to me now as they were when I first read them. Feel free to read between the lines...

I know my team has played poorly for most of the past decade and so didn’t deserve to make the playoffs; that is no surprise, as it’s no surprise your team managed to win so many games versus those lousy Raiders teams.

I don’t know that the Raiders are yet good enough to consistently beat your team. What I do know is my team beat your team the last time they played in your park. What I know is my team recently beat the Colts in their park when yours lost to the Colts at your park. What I know is the Raiders have improved their game and made progress each year under Gruden’s leadership while your team has floundered during the same time period.

It’s prophetic that you describe your team as one that HAD success instead of HAVING success, isn't it?

Later.<BR>

Bob Dole
09-14-2000, 04:27 PM
We wondered about sunday ticket, but my husband wanted the duel dish system so now we actually have two satellites and three different channels should we choose to.

AustinChief
09-14-2000, 09:55 PM
Bill Gates has bought the remaining tickets. Looks like the game will be televised locally anyway.

He must still be atoning for the lawsuit the cheerleaders threatened against him last year

Raiders Sue Bill Gates Over Porno PopUps (http://www.zdnet.com/zdnn/stories/news/0,4586,2307829,00.html)

Chiefaholic
09-15-2000, 03:37 PM
Testing....

milkman
09-15-2000, 03:40 PM
Duck - so is it true, you guys will be able to watch a home game, from home?

Chiefaholic
09-15-2000, 03:50 PM
Hey, MileHigh......What blackout? Thanks for being so despised that our stadium ALMOST sold out by the deadline. It was the 2-0 record and the optimism of finally beating your guys that brought in enough fans to almost make the deadline. Mr. Gates (bless him!) gave the Bay Area a fine gift when he offered to buy up the remaining tickets (about 1,000). This is the first time in THREE YEARS we'll see the Raiders at home on TV! Bless Mr. Gates, may he make many more billions! Bless the can't-stand-em Broncos, for the opportunity to watch them lose in Oaktown is the draw that ended the Blackout Plague.

Oh, glorious day!

Chiefaholic
09-15-2000, 04:02 PM
Hey - Morph! Yeah, the blackout is lifted! Its REALLY a big deal around here. The press is all over it. They haven't shown a home game in three years, and its gonna get big coverage. Smart move by Microsoft - everyone is talking about it. Great advertising move!

Its funny - Raider fans are asking each other to watch out for misbehavior in the stands. The local press will be waiting to jump on any incident that will perpetuate the "Raiderfan as Criminal" legend. We Raider fans want to look good because our neighbors will be watching. They haven't seen us in years!

milkman
09-15-2000, 05:08 PM
Duck - Congrats! Maybe if your lucky and your team puts on a good show it will be a regular deal.

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 05:44 PM
Duck, Congrats on getting the idiotic blackout lifted. I'm more than a little perplexed that Microsoft declined to purchase the remaining tickets to the Seahawks-Rams game last week, after all it was only a measley 3,000 tickets.

Wassup wit dat?

Seattle fans missed a very entertaining game. Microsoft probably shyed away from that game thinking it would be a blowout.

The NFL blackout rule is obselete, needs to be gone.......Joe

------------------
"life is good"

milkman
09-15-2000, 05:51 PM
Joe - Unfortunitly I don't think the fans there have much faith in Kitna, so it could be hard to sell out your games. I was just going to say that I though the seahawks were obsoloete and should be moved to the NFC West, but I remembered that the seahawks were never good enough that they were anything but.

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 06:50 PM
Jeff, the 90's were bad. The Hawks were doing very well in the 80's thank you. And we are on our way back again, we actually had a ten year waiting list for season tickets in the mid 80's , then Behring bought the team drove it into the ground and tried to move it. Obviously caused some dissention with the fans.

K.C needs to remember the 80's and avoid the fan fallout that follows.

To call us obsolete does nothing but piss me off, I hope we crush you for the rest of the millenium......Joe

------------------
"life is good"

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 06:57 PM
Also Husky stadium holds 75,000..Tougher to sell out than the Dome.

milkman
09-15-2000, 07:15 PM
Joe - You took that way too seriously, sorry about that. I should add that Arrowhead holds 76,000+, not that it makes us better fans. I always hate that arguement, going to a game doesn't make you a bigger fan, just like going into a garage does not make one a car. I'm just hoping that we don't get embarrassed by you again this year, so I'm talking smack while I still can.

The black-outs are somewhat obsolete in the fact that the NFL is now the number 1 sport in the US and in most cases it is not hard to get people to go to the games. I think the main reason they still do it is it is a little extra money teams can get. Oh well, maybe someday.

suds79
09-15-2000, 07:18 PM
Yes, Husky stadium is larger to fill with 75,000, but that's still no excuse.

Arrowhead seats nearly 79,000 and we haven't had a problem since 1990.

Yes, we had to build a fan base first but it only took one successful year.

Kansas City went 8-7-1 in 89, the first year under Carl & Schott. The next year we had our first successful season and trip to the playoffs in the Carl & Marty era by going 11-5 and finishing 2nd in the AFC West. Then, the following year the sellout streak started.

I think everyone knows that Seattle has a much larger population than Kansas City. Seattle won the AFC West last year and was in the playoffs. There's NO excuse for their fans not to be filling up the 75,000 seats at Husky stadium!

That just shows a lack of fan support in Seattle.

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 07:23 PM
Jeff, Sorry dude I guess I'm just a little sensitive to that whole NFC move thing. I hope it doesn't happen, but unfortunately it makes too much sense.

I'm still hoping the Chargers move instead.. As far as the blackout goes, My opinion is: If the fans get to see what they are missing by watching the game on T.V. then, IMO the overall fanbase will grow...

How does it benefit the Seahawks if 3 million people are denied the ability to watch the game because there are 2000 unsold tickets? Doesn't make any sense these days.......Joe

------------------
"life is good"

milkman
09-15-2000, 07:31 PM
Joe - There are one advantage to the blackout rule, people living in Cinci probably rarely have to see them play and might get to watch some better games.

In the 80's here I was still young and didn't get to see many Chiefs games, so it was hard to be much of a fan. When your pretty young there is no way your going to sit in front of a radio and listen to the game. Seeing them on TV every week definitly went a long way to makeing me a bigger fan, so in a way I am an example of how games not being blocked out helps build fan support.

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 07:31 PM
Big Chief, Like I said, we had a ten year waiting list in the mid 80's...
The Chiefs are at a point where the Hawks were in the late 80's..You will be suprised how fast the fan base dwindles when the Team struggles.
I dont think K.C. ever went through the Ownership Bull s h i t the Hawks went through in the early 90's.

The new stadium in 2002 will be soldout for many years I guarantee that. Also factoring in...No beer sales at Husky stadium, Traffic nightmare, (Stadium is basically in a residential neighborhood)

Please dont try to suggest to me that our fans dont care, it is an argument that will be a waste of time, because I will never agree.....Joe

------------------
"life is good"

milkman
09-15-2000, 07:38 PM
Joe - I have a feeling that the NFL West could end up being the Seahawks, 49ers, Arizona(LA) and the Rams. Which might not be that bad of a division to be in. Of course I have absolutly no urge for the Chiefs to be moved. I can see how that could very easliy be a sore subject.

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 07:46 PM
Jeff, I know to other teams in the division, they might not see us as a classic rival, ala Chiefs-Raiders, Raiders Broncos..etc...However, As a lifelong Seahawk fan I can tell you I view these games as intense rivalrys and I do not want to start from scratch.

It took 25 years to form these afc west roots, I do not want to yank them out of the ground and plant them elsewhere.

DAMMIT this subject pisses me off... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Its only a game...

------------------
"life is good"

Chiefaholic
09-15-2000, 07:52 PM
From a Joe Seahawk repy:

"How does it benefit the Seahawks if 3 million people are denied the ability to watch the game because there are 2000 unsold tickets? Doesn't make any sense these days.......Joe"

Here's the part I don't get, Joe. Think of all the TV revenue lost when the game doesn't get aired locally? You'd think Budwiser and Doritos would buy up those measly 2,000 tickets just to get a chance to hawk their products to the Northwest audience during the game. For the Bronco game in Oaktown, the game was going to sell out on Friday or Saturday, which makes the rule even stupider. The stadium would have been full, but the Northern California TV revenue would have been lost.

------------------
Lick Bush in 2000 !!!

Chiefaholic
09-15-2000, 07:55 PM
Hey - I survived a year and a half as a Raider fan in Seattle. You can't convince me that there is no Seahawk-Raider rivalry.

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 08:01 PM
Duck, Exactly, I honestly think most advertisers, (as well as you, me and most NFL fans) Thought it would be a blowout lousy game against the Superbowl champion Rams, and A Seahawk team that looked like total poop the week before.

My point is the league mandated blackout benefits nobody.

Had the advertisers been able to advertise during that game, and the local fans able to enjoy it, it would have been a much more productive weekend for the NFL and the Seahawks and most importantly, their fans.

Joe

------------------
"life is good"

milkman
09-15-2000, 08:01 PM
Duck - But is there a Raider - Seahawk rivalry? If you get what I'm saying...

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 08:04 PM
Morph, You must have missed the 80's...We were Raiders enemy #1...Joe

------------------
"life is good"

milkman
09-15-2000, 08:05 PM
Joe - To continue on with your post 66, I would add that seeing a game like that would have brought more fans to the stadium the next game. Then, if they are lucky, they end up building a fan base of people who just love to go to the games for the atmosphere as well as the game.

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 09-15-2000).]

milkman
09-15-2000, 08:07 PM
Joe - I guess I vaguelly remember that, but remember I was pretty young and had a hectic life back then.

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 08:11 PM
Morph, what you said in 69 was a big part of what I was attempting to articulate in 66...Thanks....Joe

------------------
"life is good"

Buzzbait
09-15-2000, 09:01 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>I think everyone knows that Seattle has a much larger population than Kansas City. Seattle won the AFC West last year and was in the playoffs. There's NO excuse for their fans not to be filling up the 75,000 seats at Husky stadium!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Big Chief, Did the Chiefs lose seven of their last eight games?
even though they won the division the Hawks finished 99 and began 2000 in nightmarish fashion...Are you willing to suggest the fans flock to the park with that in mind?

Trust me Donnie Edwards, The Hawk fans will be in full force after Holmgren gets this team going, NO DOUBT ABOUT THAT!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

I figure about OCT, 29th they will be in full force... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif.....Joe

------------------
"life is good"

[This message has been edited by Joe Seahawk (edited 09-15-2000).]

Chiefaholic
09-15-2000, 10:42 PM
Morph - When I lived in Seattle, the fans were totally passionate about their hate for the Raiders. I remember one game where they handed out flat cardboard megaphones when you went through the turnstiles into the stadium. The fans unfolded them and pointed them at the Raider quarterback (I didn't use mine). It was definately part of Seattle culture to hate the Raiders. Raider fans were not nearly as passionate about the Seahawks. But for a Raider fan living in Seattle, I definately felt the rivalry. Freinds and relatives would introduce me as a Raider fan.

P.S. I was too chicken to wear black in the Kingdome....

milkman
09-15-2000, 10:48 PM
Duck - That is what I meant, the Raiders prob didn't like the seahawks, but they were not the team they really wanted to slaughter. I think San Diego is in the same situation as Seattle. In most cases the teams that have been at the top of our division have been the Donx, Raiders and Chiefs since its inception, so there are a natural rivalry between the three. SD and Seattle have been up and down, but mostly down, so they were never really the team you had to win against to prove that you were a good team.