PDA

View Full Version : Just read on the Star BB that Szott is out for the year.

j molina
09-19-2000, 02:33 PM
Apparently Szott received an "unsolicited" 2nd opinion from Dr. James Andrews and decided to have surgery to repair a torn tendon in his arm despite the recommendation of Team doctors.

I think this effectively ends his career as a Chief. If he doesn't retire, he will probably not play for us after we wouldn't trade him last off season. Of course hind sight is 20/20 but had we traded him to the Jets or Giants, the latter of whom were looking for O-line help in the off season (they got Parker from us) we may have gotten a pretty good draft pick or player, or both for him. Now it seems his worth may depreciate considerably if he is labeled injury prone. I like the guy and admire him (except for his choice of school!) but I feel like we may have lost one of the best players on the team. Assuming that the report is correct and he is out for the season of course.

Hoover
09-19-2000, 02:45 PM
Time to move on. Put him on I/R and lets get some D/L help. They tried to trade him but no one wanted his contract, so he came here to honor it. I doubt he'll get 2.2 mil from the Chiefs or anyone else next year given the cap problems that every team seems to have. He's a class guy and has had a great career here, it's just a shame we couldn't get a ring for him.

ColoradoChief
09-19-2000, 02:45 PM
DJay23 - We would have traded him. It was just that NOBODY wanted him at his salary. I don't really care too much since we'd have to replace him next year anyway. At least this way his replacement will have a year of practice that he wouldn't have gotten before. Looks like we got an additional roster spot for use. A WR?

ColoradoChief
09-19-2000, 02:46 PM
Continuing on the roster spot, perhaps we should bring up Kitchings. We need a boost to our STs. Is Hall going to get healthy, or what?

milkman
09-19-2000, 02:48 PM
G_man - Hall has been healthy and ready to go, I have no idea why they are keeping him listed as injured.

TheBigChief
09-19-2000, 02:50 PM
Put him on IR - bring up Kitchings or bring in a FA WR. (perhaps Kirby Dar Dar -- he really wants to play for us)

j molina
09-19-2000, 02:50 PM
G man,
I didn't realize (obviously) that we had shopped Szott. It really does look like a dead end now doesn't it. As for Hall I believe I read somewhere (and I can't back this up with quotes or links) that Hall would be ready to go this week maybe, next week definitely. I sure as hell hope so, we need the kind of spark he can supply!!!

Stuckinbama
09-19-2000, 02:55 PM
is right, it's time to place him on the IR and MOVE ON. This is exactly why I'm glad that Carl did try to trade him and this is exactly why no team wanted to take the risk. IMO the best thing is to just close the book on a great person and O-linemen, wish he and his family well, place him on IR, sign someone else and move on.

Pitt Gorilla
09-19-2000, 02:56 PM
Clint will be glad to hear it, if it's true.

Second opinions are fairly common. I have to assume he's more worried about his health than whether he plays another game or not. If it is the end for him, It's been great having him lead our rushing attack for some memorable years. I think were looking good at O lineman for at least a couple more years.

Pitt Gorilla
09-19-2000, 02:58 PM

Second opinions are fairly common. I have to assume he's more worried about his health than whether he plays another game or not. If it is the end for him, It's been great having him lead our rushing attack for some memorable years. I think were looking good at O lineman for at least a couple more years.

Pitt Gorilla
09-19-2000, 02:59 PM

scott in spfd
09-19-2000, 07:21 PM
Szott will NOT be easy to replace. Observe:
Chiefs rushing in '98 (Szott out 14 games):
1,548 yds (96 ypg)
Chiefs rushing in '99 (Szott started 14 games): 2,089 yds (130 ypg).
This year with Szott out?
KC averaging under 90 ypg rushing.
This injury is HUGE people. Szott has been the best OL KC has had in the 1990s IMO. The facts don't lie...

Stuckinbama
09-19-2000, 09:51 PM
Johnny,
We AGREE on something again! That's exactly why it's SOOOO important to pass to set up the run this year. It's so stupid to force the run against 8 - men fronts with Szott. Without him it's even more insane. The Chiefs can still run the ball - only they should be smart around things. Raye needs to open things up from the beginning.