PDA

View Full Version : Just wondering...

JC777
09-20-2000, 12:48 PM
In the wake of Sylvester Morris' considerable splash last Sunday, and all the attention he is bound to be afforded in Denver, what are the chances of Tony Gonzalez looming large in next Monday morning's sports page?

Fat Homer
09-20-2000, 12:51 PM
Durtman, this is the most exciting prospect of having someone like Morris...the first two games it was no secret that Gonzalez was being doubled...now they will have to go back to more basic coverages which should free him up...if they choose to double Gonzo and Sly...then Alexander should be able to make the headlines or those three yard swing passes to our RBs might become 25 yard gains...This is what this team has been needing and what is really cool is that it appears that EG is finally looking at more than the primary receiver... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Phobia
09-20-2000, 12:51 PM
I think chances are slim. I dont expect that Denver's D will look at the one game and change coverages.

It will require a persistent useage of the other offensive teammates to draw the attention away from Tony. Definately more than one game.

Shootr
09-20-2000, 12:59 PM
Titus:

I sure hope they don't change their coverage, then the headlines will read 'Rook Chiefs Receiver gets 3 touchdowns AGAIN, Griese out for 2 games with aggrevation to shoulder'

bk<BR>

Phobia
09-20-2000, 01:00 PM
http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

Devin Vierth
09-20-2000, 03:48 PM
Durtman,

Did not want your topic to fall off the board. This board is a success because most of us migrated to it after Political Discussion was banned on the old BB without just cause or explanation. Your topic is a good football thread.

My response would be to expect next week to hear us moaning about a return to knucklehead football, as the three stooges return to whence they came. I think this is a fear for many of us, and a reason that midweek we would prefer to contemplate the vagaries of politics and philosophy. Sorry that you might not understand these dynamics, it is not a reflection on your thread.

------------------
Jim Reynolds
Please no squiggles in my discussion zone!

Gracie Dean
09-20-2000, 03:56 PM
I believe Tony will post more than his season high of 4 catches Sunday. Will he loom large? I hope so but who really knows. I'll be watching, that's for certain!

AustinChief
09-20-2000, 03:57 PM
If he could catch, we would probably decide to cover him.

My guess, he is open all day long!

WarPaint
09-20-2000, 05:05 PM
It will take a couple of games for Sly to take some of the attention that Gonzo draws away from him. Gonzo is a proven weapon in the passing. Sly has to continue tomake catches and plays. When defenses start to change their focus, then Gonzo will start to get open more, and DA will become what he should have been since he signed, a good #2 receiver that makes plays. With these 3 making plays in the passing game, the defenses will have to make adjstments that will then open up the gound game.
Of course, none of this matters if the Stooge in the Skybox reverts to form.

------------------

Red Eyes
Chinn Up.

[b]The SitCom must die!!</B>

KCWolfman
09-20-2000, 06:59 PM
I don't see any one receiver really "excelling" this year, mainly because it's starting to look like Elvis will be distributing the ball around a lot more.

Bad for the personal numbers, GREAT for the team's numbers.

I think by the end of the season, Gonzo, Cat, DA and Lockett will all have very respectable numbers, and it's Elvis who'll be looking very "Pro Bowlish"

That is, unless Jimmy Raye escapes from the pod people and makes it back to Arrowhead before the end of the season.

"Go, pod Jimmy, Go!" http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------
Misplaced Chiefs Fan
Red and Gold on the Warpath
Nightwolf Graphics (http://www.nightwolfgraphics.com)