PDA

View Full Version : The NFL vs Tivo

dirk digler
07-23-2004, 10:41 AM
TiVo's Plans Lead to Fight On Copyrights
Posted by Deren Smith on 22 Jul 2004 - 22:00 CET | 22 Comments Post a Comment

If you're a TiVo user listen up. It's been reported today that Hollywood studios and the National Football League are trying to block TiVo from expanding one of its services. This service would allow users to watch copies of shows, and movies outside of their homes.

Hollywood studios and the National Football League are seeking to block the maker of the popular TiVo television recorder from expanding its service so that users could watch copies of shows and movies on devices outside their homes. In filings with the Federal Communications Commission, the organizations say the new technology could compromise the copyrights of shows that broadcasters send over the airwaves in digital form, which offers much higher sound and video quality than what viewers typically get today.

The organizations fear that computer enthusiasts would capture those programs and begin trading them online in the same way that millions of music files are shared daily, which record companies have said has cut into their profit. TiVo Inc. insists its system will not allow such mass Internet distribution.

The battle is one of several being waged in federal agencies and on Capitol Hill this summer, as content companies such as the movie and music companies seek to keep control of copyrighted works that increasingly can be digitally stored, copied, manipulated and distributed by users. In turn, several public advocacy groups and technology companies warn that the content companies are trying to revoke long-standing consumer rights to "fair use" of artistic works.

Ultra Peanut
10-23-2004, 01:55 PM
**** that shit. Go TiVo.

Phobia
10-23-2004, 01:58 PM
I pay TiVo a handsome sum of money and they provide me several years of entertainment.

The NFL keeps taking my money over and over and over and all I get Dick.

I'm going with TiVo. Put me on the jury.