PDA

View Full Version : 37 Forever Foundation event article

Bob Dole
08-26-2004, 02:12 PM
I just wanted to share this. It's not too often in life that a person has an opportunity to combine two things they truly enjoy and not only stay out of jail, but do some good for their community.

A version of this is slated to appear in tomorrow's edition of the local newpaper. It's pretty amazing to remember that it all started with a question on an internet forum. What about Joe Delaney?

by Anthony Davis

Texarkana music fan and owner of TexakanaRocks.com website Scott Lent and this reporter have two things in common. Music is obviously one of them, but the second is a bit more obscure.

We both recall the hot summer day in June, 1983, when Louisiana native and rookie All-Pro running back for the Kansas City Chiefs, Joe Delaney, died while trying to save three children who had gone for a swim in a water-hole in Monroe, LA.

I was living in Monroe at the time, and the sadness and shock which gripped those who knew this quiet, respectful and dedicated young athlete was palpable. Kansas City Chiefs fans were also despondent at the loss of a promising young athlete with a quick smile and quicker feet drafted on the chance his statistics while at Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, LA were not a fluke.

Delaney proved to be a welcome addition to the Chiefs' football family, and the team paid its respects by retiring Joe's number 37 jersey. A nice gesture, but a group of fans felt there was more to be done to immortalize the actions of the off-the-field hero.

They formed a charitable foundation to address the only thing that ever defeated Joe Delaney--not knowing how to swim. Delaney's instincts to sacrifice himself attempting to save the children who screamed from the water-filled excavation at Chennault Park that day over-rode his knowledge of being a non-swimmer.

Thus, the 37 Forever Foundation was formed "to provide water safety information and swimming programs to underprivileged youths in memory of Joe Delaney, #37 of the 1981-82 Kansas City Chiefs," reads the group's website. "We will reduce water-related deaths through education and training. This foundation is dedicated to the lasting recognition of a true sports hero who selflessly gave his life in an attempt to save three children," it says.

37 Forever joined forces with the American Red Cross in 2001, announcing an ageement to construct a program for training underprivileged youth in Kansas City in water safety and basic swimming. The program got under way in the summer of 2003 with 50 youths enrolled in the special project.

Lent, executive vice president of the foundation, is hoping to get a similar program funded by the 37 Forever Foundation started here in Texarkana. He sees the efforts of Faith, Love and Hope Youth Corporation founded by Rose Warfield-McGill as a likely recipient of the foundation's efforts.

To get fundraiising efforts off the ground, Lent and TexarkanaRocks.com are sponsoring a Labor Day weekend bash featuring more than 20 local and regional bands over a two-day period, beginning at 2pm September 5-6, at The Oasis Bar and Grill at 3520 North State Line Avenue.

Admission to the Labor Day Fest is $5 a day at the door. For more information call The Oasis at 870-779-0575 or contact Lent at scott@texarkanarocks.com.

And remember, your support goes to a good cause.

ROYC75
08-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Nice work Scott !

KcMizzou
08-26-2004, 02:16 PM
Awesome. Nice work. :thumb:

shakesthecat
08-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Congrats, and good luck with the bash!

Rain Man
08-26-2004, 02:19 PM
That Lent guy should start posting on Chiefsplanet. Great work!

Iowanian
08-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Nice.

big nasty kcnut
08-26-2004, 02:20 PM
Good job scott. Keep up the good work.

ExtremeChief
08-26-2004, 03:44 PM
Nice job bud.

Nzoner
08-26-2004, 04:17 PM
Nice work Scott,good luck on your event.

Hoover
08-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Good Work

Can a mod please change my user name to Scott_Damned_Lent

Thanks

morphius
08-26-2004, 05:09 PM
I'm a little gunshy about editing your name, period.
LMAO!!!

Phobia
08-26-2004, 05:10 PM
Good Work

Can a mod please change my user name to Scott_Damned_Lent

Thanks

I could change your username, but I know you know people who have guns and stuff. I'll have one of my people do it to remove myself from the line of fire.

Mr. Kotter
08-26-2004, 05:14 PM
Congrats, Scott. Nice work. :thumb:

RedNFeisty
08-26-2004, 05:27 PM
Great Job!!

Bob Dole
08-26-2004, 05:30 PM
It should be a lot of fun. We had an event last January with 12 bands in one day and it was one of the best times I've ever had. Learned some lessons from that one, so this one should be a lot smoother. We've got 2 stages this time, so the band changeover is going to be a whole lot less stressful.

Still working out the details, but we're going to try to record everything and put together a compilation CD from the event, so I may be hitting you all up for some $$ later on. :)

Braincase
08-26-2004, 05:31 PM
Here comes the backlash from Philly.... ( I hope not!)

Bob Dole
08-26-2004, 08:01 PM
Here comes the backlash from Philly.... ( I hope not!)

I'm ready for it, just in case. :hmmm:

Otter
08-27-2004, 05:29 AM
Congrats Scott, that's pretty damn cool and it wasn't even in the police blotter.

:thumb:

Bob Dole
08-27-2004, 10:01 AM
You can read the final version here (http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2004/08/27/local_news/features/features03.txt) and see how a heavy-handed editor can really screw up an article.

ROYC75
08-27-2004, 10:07 AM
You can read the final version here (http://www.texarkanagazette.com/articles/2004/08/27/local_news/features/features03.txt) and see how a heavy-handed editor can really screw up an article.

Wasn't that suppose to be ,as a rookies he was all pro ? He was not a rookie in 1983...

Other than that, what else was wrong ? I must have skipped thru it to fast .

Bwana
08-27-2004, 10:08 AM
Fantastic! Good Job Scott.

Raiderhater
08-27-2004, 10:10 AM

You never told me you knew Joe....

Iowanian
08-27-2004, 10:12 AM
Good luck....Hope your event is beyond successful.

LVNHACK
08-27-2004, 10:12 AM
:thumb:

Bob Dole
08-27-2004, 10:14 AM
The editor felt that Tony had put "too much of himself" in the original article, and subsequently made it read like a news item rather than a human interest feature.

KS Smitty
08-27-2004, 10:17 AM

It's all MarkMs' fault. :)

I agree it certainly isn't as good a read as the original.

Lzen
08-27-2004, 10:18 AM
Very cool, Scott. Was this the thing you were asking about a couple months ago as far as bands? That sounds like a good time.

Bob Dole
08-27-2004, 10:31 AM
Very cool, Scott. Was this the thing you were asking about a couple months ago as far as bands? That sounds like a good time.

Long story, but pretty much that, yes.

My intent is to have two of these every year. Hopefully they get easier as you learn from the mistakes. hehe

Bob Dole
09-07-2004, 01:43 PM
I still don't have final numbers from the event, but it's being called "a success" and I've already gotten 2 calls this morning from club owners who want to know what it's going to take to be able to host the next one in January.

I can safely say we managed to raise over $1000 for 37 Forever, and we'll probably be able to add to that when we finish mixing down the recording for the live CD. The rough recording surpassed my wildest expectations, and was of sufficient quality that we were able to play Sunday's recording back through the PA between acts on Monday without doing anything to it at all. The final product should be outstanding and if everything goes as planned, I'll be able to donate a portion of the proceeds from sales to 37 Forever.

Special thanks to raiderhader who made the trip up from Houston and took over the duties on t-shirt sales both days. You da man!

Now I shall go pass out from exhaustion.

ROYC75
09-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Good work Scott, we need more quality members like yourself to help us in our program. Your efforts and some help from other members continue to help sponsor our swiming program for the needy kids.

My hat is off to you , Good work and thanks for your efforts.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

go bo
09-07-2004, 01:51 PM
I still don't have final numbers from the event, but it's being called "a success" and I've already gotten 2 calls this morning from club owners who want to know what it's going to take to be able to host the next one in January.

I can safely say we managed to raise over $1000 for 37 Forever, and we'll probably be able to add to that when we finish mixing down the recording for the live CD. The rough recording surpassed my wildest expectations, and was of sufficient quality that we were able to play Sunday's recording back through the PA between acts on Monday without doing anything to it at all. The final product should be outstanding and if everything goes as planned, I'll be able to donate a portion of the proceeds from sales to 37 Forever.

Special thanks to raiderhader who made the trip up from Houston and took over the duties on t-shirt sales both days. You da man!

Now I shall go pass out from exhaustion.congratulations, bdd! :toast:

enjoy your rest, you've earned it... :thumb:

Iowanian
09-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Out Standing. Huge Baows.

hopefully there were no intentional interuptions to your event.

Will there be any sample files available for download or easy listening?

Mr. Kotter
09-07-2004, 02:03 PM
Nice job, Scott. :thumb:

Bob Dole
09-07-2004, 07:05 PM
Out Standing. Huge Baows.

hopefully there were no intentional interuptions to your event.

Will there be any sample files available for download or easy listening?

No intentional interruptions at all. We even managed to avoid any noise ordinance violations. The popo came and metered us

I'll post a link to samples as soon as we get them off the drive and mixed. We should have something online before the end of the week.

I just got back from settling with the venue. The final gross was $1382 (234 admissions and 848 longnecks.). I've got a few expenses to deduct still, but those should amount to less than $100.

stevieray
09-07-2004, 07:15 PM
No intentional interruptions at all. We even managed to avoid any noise ordinance violations. The popo came and metered us

I'll post a link to samples as soon as we get them off the drive and mixed. We should have something online before the end of the week.

I just got back from settling with the venue. The final gross was $1382 (234 admissions and 848 longnecks.). I've got a few expenses to deduct still, but those should amount to less than $100.

That's a 37 Forever first down...!

Congrats, man.... :thumb:

Raiderhater
09-08-2004, 03:53 PM

Sweet.

Bob Dole
09-08-2004, 06:50 PM
Sweet.

Definitely. Still not sure how I'm going to deal with the radio station reacharound, though.

I've got pictures from Sunday posted here (http://www.texarkanarocks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5807) if you want to reflect on your weekend in Texarkana. Working on Monday's now.

Raiderhater
09-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Definitely. Still not sure how I'm going to deal with the radio station reacharound, though.

I've got pictures from Sunday posted here (http://www.texarkanarocks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5807) if you want to reflect on your weekend in Texarkana. Working on Monday's now.

Those are great pictures. Looking forward to seeing Mondays.

Bob Dole
09-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Those are great pictures. Looking forward to seeing Mondays.

This, of course, is my favorite. :)

Raiderhater
09-08-2004, 07:40 PM
This, of course, is my favorite. :)

That rocked. For those in the dark, the guy was wearing a David Carr jersey and switched to a Delaney one when Dole asked him if he would be willing to do so. Very cool of him to do so.

Hydrae
09-08-2004, 07:43 PM
Wonderful work! :thumb: :toast:

Nzoner
09-08-2004, 07:43 PM
I've got pictures from Sunday posted here (http://www.texarkanarocks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5807)

Damn,at first glance I thought Vincent D'Onofrio was playing bass.

Good to hear it was a success,great work Scott.

Bob Dole
09-08-2004, 08:27 PM
It was really an absolute blast. That was the first time I had met that band in person. They played early and the attendance sucked, but I got them a couple of paying gigs out of the deal, so I don't feel quite as bad.

The band full of Wally's (Junior - www.juniorrocks.com) is the only performer we had that really tours. They got back from a swing through the northeast (including CBGB's) just in time to make the festival. If they ever get to your part of the country, they are worth the time and admission. They've got a truly unique stage show that will have you laughing your ass off when you're not bobbin' your head.

If you catch them, be sure to yell "Do you know anything that doesn't suck?" for me.

Bob Dole
09-08-2004, 08:44 PM
BTW, if people like to buy t-shirts for events they didn't attend, I have some left. :) 28 of them, to be exact.

10 XL
16 L
1 M
1 S

tommykat
09-08-2004, 09:06 PM
Way to go Scooter.......... http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/13/13_9_5.gif (http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb001) Rock!

Bob Dole
09-13-2004, 11:03 PM
I've managed to throw together an initial track from our live recording effort over Labor Day Weekend.

Bear in mind that I have no earthly idea what I'm doing, and don't have the proper tools available to equalize things like I'd like, so this is pretty much the raw recording. (Specifically, I should go back and boost everything under about 150Hz in the instrumental tracks...) I think if someone with a clue can work with these, we might actually get a CD out of the thing like I had hoped.

128k MP3 file about 4.5mb. Right-click and save target as...

http://www.texarkanarocks.com/audio/deacondark-labordaytrack1.mp3

Bob Dole
09-14-2004, 06:48 AM
Whoa... horns.

I really should take a break from solely being a smartass on your other site and check out the audio samples on some of those bands' websites.

What a concept. hehe

I guess maybe I should have mentioned that it's a 4 pc. blues-based band with sax...

(And a bump for the day crew.)

ptlyon
09-14-2004, 06:53 AM
I guess maybe I should have mentioned that it's a 4 pc. blues-based band with sax...

We're getting the BAND back together!!!