PDA

View Full Version : Torrent? Quick Explanation for those confused...

DRU
09-07-2004, 05:53 PM
I think part of the reason for not many seeds being left open is because we're not all understanding exactly what they are.

With torrent downloads, the more people downloading the better. This is true...but only to an extent.

If 10 people have half of the file downloaded and you begin a brand new one...you're gonna get shared bandwidth from all 10 of those people up until the point where you catch up to them. Once you catch up...it depends on SEEDS.

Seeds are NOT simply somebody that is downloading the file. A seed is somebody that has the COMPLETE file downloaded and has left their torrent window open. The status of the file will change from "downloading" to "seeding." At this point your download is finished, but you're just being nice.

This is also why those of you who are the first to get on may get slow downloads. Since I'm the ONLY person with the complete...the ONLY seed...you're only gonna get my capped 40kb/sec upload. Divide this amoung all the downloaders and it's gonna go really slow. Just like my FTP did last year.

It doesn't take long to see the advantage of torrent, however. Let's say you're only downloading at 10kb/sec. But...there's 7 other people downloading at the same speed. This is 80kb/sec worth of bandwith. TWICE as much as I'd be able to dish out myself like last year.

So let's say you start downloading after 20 others have already downloaded 80% of the file. You will probably get a great d/l speed during the entire transfer. By the time you catch up the others will be done (ideally).

It all relies on you LEAVING YOUR TORRENT WINDOW open after your download is complete. For those of you who are simply using the BitTorrent plugin and must have a seperate window open for every torrent you're downloading, you might wanna check out www.torrentstorm.com. It's a torrent manager that lists all your torrents in one manager instead of having a seperate window for each and every one. Free and small download. Very worth-while.
Then, you can let your torrents remain open in a small tool that sits in your task-bar instead of the window.

IMPORTANT! If you're behind a firewall or router you'll need to open ports 6881-6889. These are the ports that are used for others to connect and download from you while it's open. This will also make your downloads go much faster.

I hope this explains things a little better. If there's any other questions I'll do my best to answer.

|Zach|
09-07-2004, 05:55 PM
If we all help eachother out with this file sharing thing we can all have great video of the team we love all season. Thanks to DRU for making this work. I am sure it will be great for the regular season and beyond.

R&GHomer
09-07-2004, 06:07 PM
Thanks for the lo down.

DRU
09-07-2004, 08:09 PM
If we all help eachother out with this file sharing thing we can all have great video of the team we love all season. Thanks to DRU for making this work. I am sure it will be great for the regular season and beyond.

Yup. Think about it...if we could get half of the chiefs fans on the internet to check this out...i'm sure they'd like it...and then the downloads would usually be BLAZING for you all. One person seeding for a business DSL line or T1 or T3 even would make such a huge difference in getting that first group of seeds out there.

I tried to post my torrents on other chiefs forum sites but they didn't like them. Treated them like spam and deleted them off their forums. I got a bunch of sh*t from some of them too. :(

4th and Long
09-07-2004, 08:13 PM
I for one, appreciate your efforts DRU. :thumb:

A quick clarification, just to make sure my old slow ass is understanding the seed process.

To seed, if you have the file completed, all you have to do is click on the original torrent link and the seed process is automatic? Correct?

Thanks again!

- 4th

unlurking
09-07-2004, 08:20 PM
I tried to post my torrents on other chiefs forum sites but they didn't like them. Treated them like spam and deleted them off their forums. I got a bunch of sh*t from some of them too. :(

Damn ludites.

lol

bishop_74
09-07-2004, 08:25 PM
Torrent is poop. Just put it on a server somewhere.

unlurking
09-07-2004, 08:25 PM
You offering bandwidth?

|Zach|
09-07-2004, 08:28 PM
Do you know how much bandwith that takes.

KcMizzou
09-07-2004, 08:46 PM
If we all help eachother out with this file sharing thing we can all have great video of the team we love all season. Thanks to DRU for making this work. I am sure it will be great for the regular season and beyond. I'll second that. I've got every Chiefs realted file he's posted so far. It's much appreciated...

KcMizzou
09-07-2004, 08:48 PM
I tried to post my torrents on other chiefs forum sites but they didn't like them. Treated them like spam and deleted them off their forums. I got a bunch of sh*t from some of them too. :( Eh, fug em..

Maybe they just didn't understand what it was?

DRU
09-07-2004, 08:58 PM
To seed, if you have the file completed, all you have to do is click on the original torrent link and the seed process is automatic? Correct?

Pretty much...but you do need to point it to where the file is. For instance, you've completed the file and you want to seed it. You've saved the file at c:\documents\video\clip.avi. When you click on the torrent link it will come up like you're wanting to download it again. Simply browse to that same directory you've got it stored and it will do it's thing from there.

KcMizzou
09-07-2004, 09:02 PM
Pretty much...but you do need to point it to where the file is. For instance, you've completed the file and you want to seed it. You've saved the file at c:\documents\video\clip.avi. When you click on the torrent link it will come up like you're wanting to download it again. Simply browse to that same directory you've got it stored and it will do it's thing from there. from the other torrent thread...

DRU... I keep getting the same message. It says checking existing file... get's to download succeeded... then I get that "problem connecting to tracker" message. I can't seem to get it uploading again. Any ideas?

4th and Long
09-07-2004, 09:32 PM
Pretty much...but you do need to point it to where the file is. For instance, you've completed the file and you want to seed it. You've saved the file at c:\documents\video\clip.avi. When you click on the torrent link it will come up like you're wanting to download it again. Simply browse to that same directory you've got it stored and it will do it's thing from there.
Ok that's what I thought. Thanks DRU. I am now enlightened. I knew some day my 6th grade edumication would pay off. Now I can continue my quest to be a double naught spy.
http://www.misterpants.com/01/images/maxbaerjr.jpg

KcMizzou
09-07-2004, 10:38 PM
WTF? That's just weird.... maybe they were concerned about legal issues or something.

On that note... uh, ChiefsPlanet does not officially endorse the sharing of copyrighted NFL broadcasts via the Internet. MOF... no mod has ever seen this thread. I'm fired. ROFL

DRU
09-07-2004, 10:56 PM
Here is a very good read on Bit Torrent:

http://dessent.net/btfaq/

teedubya
09-07-2004, 11:12 PM
DRU happens to be one of my favorite Planeteers. Here, have some gratuitious rep.

DRU
09-07-2004, 11:19 PM
I'm glad it's appreciated. :)

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 05:20 AM
I hope you guys trust each other ALOT.

Torrent is a great way to introduce viruses and trojans to your system.

unlurking
09-08-2004, 05:29 AM
I hope you guys trust each other ALOT.

Torrent is a great way to introduce viruses and trojans to your system.
HAHAHA

No more than ANY OTHER P2P application out there!!!!

Besides, I don't run Windows!
;)

Besides, if we were really worried, we could just have DRU put up am MD5 hash of the file we could compare against once the download was completed. Then we'd only have to trust DRU.

But since I RARELY use P2P, it doesn't concern me.

bishop_74
09-08-2004, 06:42 AM
You offering bandwidth?

How big is the file? I might be willing to host it for ya. AIM me if you get a free chance today.

DRU
09-08-2004, 07:45 AM
How big is the file? I might be willing to host it for ya. AIM me if you get a free chance today.

Well, each week the highlights file will be about 200 - 300MB I'm guessing. If we wanna do full games they'll be 4450MB. Stuff like the Carlin or the NFL Yearbook usually about 700MB.

So if you're willing to host it and give up all that bandwidth...and if you really think it'd be faster than torrent...give me an ftp. :)

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 07:46 AM
HAHAHA

No more than ANY OTHER P2P application out there!!!!

Besides, I don't run Windows!
;)

Besides, if we were really worried, we could just have DRU put up am MD5 hash of the file we could compare against once the download was completed. Then we'd only have to trust DRU.

But since I RARELY use P2P, it doesn't concern me.

HAHA...no more than any other P2P out there?

Peer-to-peer networks are the largest single source of viruses after email, my friend.

And, an MD5 hash doesn't necessarily solve the problem. The delivery vector could be an exploit looking for the open inbound ports on your firewall. Or the file itself could be infected prior to hashing.

It's not necessarily that people using your (or DRU's) P2P network have malicious intent. Trust implies that you trust them not only to KNOWINGLY harm your data, but also that you trust that they KNOW ENOUGH to prevent themselves from infecting other users without even knowing it.

:D

jspchief
09-08-2004, 07:56 AM
I've got a full file seeding and will leave it up until I notice lack of activity. It's uploading at a respectable 27 kb, compared to the 21 that I downloaded and the 13 that it was uploading yesterday.

Dru, I really appreciate you hooking us up. If you find a way to get full games, I'll be willing to commit crimes for you. By the way, know any good locations for software?

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 08:04 AM
FYI, I know AustinChief is pursuing a media relationship with the Chiefs, including press credentials.

You guys might want to check with him before you discuss trading full copies of copyrighted NFL telecasts.

jspchief
09-08-2004, 08:08 AM
FYI, I know AustinChief is pursuing a media relationship with the Chiefs, including press credentials.

You guys might want to check with him before you discuss trading full copies of copyrighted NFL telecasts.

Thanks dad. And yes, I ate my peas.

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 08:17 AM
Thanks dad. And yes, I ate my peas.

You know, I was very nice. You didn't need to be a total asshole in return.

This site ISN'T public. Kyle pays for it because he enjoys it. And he's taken it several steps further by working on stuff like getting better access to the team.

Like I said, I would check with him before you use HIS site to trade full versions of copyrighted NFL telecasts.

DRU
09-08-2004, 12:09 PM
I don't think the full versions are going to be possible anyway. Simply too big to get any good seeds out in a timely manner. If it ever does come up though I'll be sure and talk with him first.

jspchief
09-08-2004, 12:51 PM
You know, I was very nice. You didn't need to be a total asshole in return.

This site ISN'T public. Kyle pays for it because he enjoys it. And he's taken it several steps further by working on stuff like getting better access to the team.

Like I said, I would check with him before you use HIS site to trade full versions of copyrighted NFL telecasts.

I'm sorry. Can I make it up to you by buying you a bottle of sand remover for your virginia?

unlurking
09-08-2004, 01:40 PM
HAHA...no more than any other P2P out there?

Peer-to-peer networks are the largest single source of viruses after email, my friend.

And, an MD5 hash doesn't necessarily solve the problem. The delivery vector could be an exploit looking for the open inbound ports on your firewall. Or the file itself could be infected prior to hashing.

It's not necessarily that people using your (or DRU's) P2P network have malicious intent. Trust implies that you trust them not only to KNOWINGLY harm your data, but also that you trust that they KNOW ENOUGH to prevent themselves from infecting other users without even knowing it.

:D
For most people, yes.

But let's just say that it did occur. First it would have to be one of only a handful of viruses ever written for *nix. Second, I would have to rebuild my box to be years out of date to be vulnerable to it. Third, I'd have to not be the paranoid freak I am (behind two firewalls plus ALL but one service locaked down on my system (SSH)). Fourth, to do any damange to important data it would have to break an AES encrypted disk first.

Let's just say, I don't trust ANYBODY. At the sametime, I will secure myself rather than live in a cage. I do not live like those people in the KC serial killer thread. I protect myself so that I CAN do whatever I want.

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 01:56 PM
I'm sorry. Can I make it up to you by buying you a bottle of sand remover for your virginia?

Would you like a pry bar to get your head out of your ass?

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 01:58 PM
For most people, yes.

But let's just say that it did occur. First it would have to be one of only a handful of viruses ever written for *nix. Second, I would have to rebuild my box to be years out of date to be vulnerable to it. Third, I'd have to not be the paranoid freak I am (behind two firewalls plus ALL but one service locaked down on my system (SSH)). Fourth, to do any damange to important data it would have to break an AES encrypted disk first.

Let's just say, I don't trust ANYBODY. At the sametime, I will secure myself rather than live in a cage. I do not live like those people in the KC serial killer thread. I protect myself so that I CAN do whatever I want.

I was mostly giving you shit.

But you've got a nice setup.

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 02:01 PM
I don't think the full versions are going to be possible anyway. Simply too big to get any good seeds out in a timely manner. If it ever does come up though I'll be sure and talk with him first.

Hey man, I'm not trying to bust your balls. You do good work. And I could really care less about what anybody here wants to pirate -- I'm not worried about the legal ramifications.

But Kyle is working with the Chiefs on some stuff to really make our site better, and I'm concerned about what the Chiefs might think if people were using the forum to trade "games".

unlurking
09-08-2004, 10:53 PM
I was mostly giving you shit.

But you've got a nice setup.
heh, I guess I do spend a little too much time on this kind of stuff, but for me it's like playing with legos when I was a kid.