PDA

View Full Version : ESPN's Mortensen view of the chiefs from todays chat

BigRedChief
09-08-2004, 09:45 AM
From the new sports nation section on espn.com

Christopher: San Diego, Ca
What's going on Mort; I'm a Marine stationed out here in Southern California, but i grew up in the heartland and i bleed red and gold. I got a couple of questions for you. Do you see the Kansas City D making an improvement with Gun back in town with the personal he has now vise when he had D.T. , Neil, Dale Carter ect... ? Do you think a certain individual(s) performance will have a difference in making or breaking the D? One more thing I know the wide out situation is a little shaky with Johnnie and Eddie coming off injury's; What's the story with McCardell situation in Tampa Bay, are they going to just sit on him? Any rumors on releasing him or trading him? I appreciate you time I'm a big fan.

CHRIS MORTENSEN
First, thank you for serving our country. As for the Chiefs, Gunther obviously does not have the game-changing type players like you mention, but Dick Vermeil is hoping that a different scheme and new energy will give them a lift. Obviously, the Chiefs' offense is a lot better but I don't see the Bucs releasing McCardell and Vermeil is on the record saying that he wouldn't be interested in McCardell's salary ($2.5 mil). But McCardell does make sense.

Kylo Ren
09-08-2004, 09:55 AM
From the new sports nation section on espn.com

Christopher: San Diego, Ca
What's going on Mort; I'm a Marine stationed out here in Southern California, but i grew up in the heartland and i bleed red and gold. I got a couple of questions for you. Do you see the Kansas City D making an improvement with Gun back in town with the personal he has now vise when he had D.T. , Neil, Dale Carter ect... ? Do you think a certain individual(s) performance will have a difference in making or breaking the D? One more thing I know the wide out situation is a little shaky with Johnnie and Eddie coming off injury's; What's the story with McCardell situation in Tampa Bay, are they going to just sit on him? Any rumors on releasing him or trading him? I appreciate you time I'm a big fan.

CHRIS MORTENSEN
First, thank you for serving our country. As for the Chiefs, Gunther obviously does not have the game-changing type players like you mention, but Dick Vermeil is hoping that a different scheme and new energy will give them a lift. Obviously, the Chiefs' offense is a lot better but I don't see the Bucs releasing McCardell and Vermeil is on the record saying that he wouldn't be interested in McCardell's salary ($2.5 mil). But McCardell does make sense. ZZZ

Brock
09-08-2004, 09:58 AM
Dammit Carl.

ChiTown
09-08-2004, 09:59 AM
Dammit Carl.

Ehem!

It's: Damnit, Carl! :cuss:

siberian khatru
09-08-2004, 10:04 AM
CHRIS MORTENSEN
First, thank you for serving our country.

That was a nice touch.

KCTitus
09-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Ive got a question...has it been that long since Dale Carter left the team that he's now a 'game changer'? By who's definition...

I certainly remember if the opposing team needed PI or some stupid personal foul penalty to extend a drive on 3rd and 42 miles, they would throw it to whoever Carter was covering.

Brock
09-08-2004, 10:07 AM
Ive got a question...has it been that long since Dale Carter left the team that he's now a 'game changer'? By who's definition...

I certainly remember if the opposing team needed PI or some stupid personal foul penalty to extend a drive on 3rd and 42 miles, they would throw it to whoever Carter was covering.

I would have said Hasty, not Carter.

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 10:08 AM

ROFL

I think the same thing every time I see him mentioned with Smith, DT, and Hasty...

BigRedChief
09-08-2004, 10:09 AM
No shi@. They guy hurt us more than he helped us. It was Hasty, DT and Smith that made that defense hum.

38yrsfan
09-08-2004, 11:25 AM
I agree ... Carter was a waste of draft pick, salary cap and time. Hurt the team more than helped.

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 11:27 AM
You guys are too hard on Carter because of his last year or two. He was a great cornerback for us for several years.

HolmeZz
09-08-2004, 11:28 AM
C'mon Mortenstein.

KCTitus
09-08-2004, 11:33 AM
You guys are too hard on Carter because of his last year or two. He was a great cornerback for us for several years.

At the very least, last 3 years--96-98.

htismaqe
09-08-2004, 11:39 AM

He had an excellent rookie year and that was about it. He had 7 INT's that 1st season and then he had 3 in 3 seasons. He had 4 in 1995 and 3 in 1996. He added 2 more in 1996 and his final season in 1997. IMO, his production went down as his coke consumption went up.

Charles Mincy was alot better than people give him credit for. And people forget the contributions of an aging Albert Lewis and Mark Collins, both who outplayed a much younger Carter IMO.

bringbackmarty
09-08-2004, 12:06 PM
**** dale carter. **** you too carl. **** keenan mccardell.

bringbackmarty
09-08-2004, 12:08 PM
oh and **** you mort, and go chiefs!

Mr. Laz
09-08-2004, 12:10 PM
actually the damage that Dale Carter did to the donks was well worth our draft pick. :D

PastorMikH
09-08-2004, 12:40 PM
My take on Dale Carter: Great ability and skills though he tended to be a bit over confident (or lazy) and caused him to have to have to hold WRs to make up for getting burnt. He was a decent corner that had he played to his level and not had so many yellow flags thrown at him, he could have been great.

BTW, I'd hate to have Dale Carter here this year with how strict the refs are calling things.

BigRedChief
09-08-2004, 01:25 PM
actually the damage that Dale Carter did to the donks was well worth our draft pick. :D

You have trumped all agruments with dealing the caused pain to donks card. We can't top that well unless he made a comeback with the faiders :)

Ralphy Boy
09-08-2004, 08:41 PM
sorry to dig this thread up, but found this article on the Bucs message board and didn't care to start my own thread.
link (http://bbs.buccaneers.com/showthread.php?t=75549)

It's comical how many of them think somethings going to happen with LJ being traded to them along with the picks we got from Green Bay for Keenan and a DE.

Deberg_1990
09-08-2004, 08:47 PM
Whats with all the revisionist history regarding Dale Carter? Dude was a great player, sure he made some boneheaded mistakes, but all DB's do!! Remember his first few years in the league when he used do punt returns and play a little wide Receiver as well?? If I remember correctly, the first time he ever touched a ball in a game he returned a punt for a TD against the Chargers?? Back in like 1992?

Inspector
09-08-2004, 09:23 PM
Mortenson has an incredible grasp of the obvious.