PDA

View Full Version : What is the main source of conflict in the world?

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 10:59 AM
Please rank them too if you wish.

ptlyon
09-08-2004, 11:00 AM
#1. Dumb B!+ches

Saulbadguy
09-08-2004, 11:01 AM
Can't wait for these poll options.

BigRedChief
09-08-2004, 11:03 AM
Not even close. Religion

Once you get religion involved in an issue the issue will get worse. The combatants will see it as an attack on the culture/heritage/moral belief system and when that happens you my as well head to the bomb shelter or pick up arms cuz they are going to be bringin it.

Braincase
09-08-2004, 11:05 AM
The Cult of Personality

Look into my eyes, what do you see?
Cult of Personality
I know your anger, I know your dreams
I've been everything you want to be
I'm the Cult of Personality
Like Mussolini and Kennedy
Cult of Personality
Cult of Personality

Neon lights, A Nobel Price
The mirror speaks, the reflection lies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set me free
I sell the things you need to be
I'm the smiling face on your T.V.
I exploit you still you love me

I tell you one and one makes three
Like Joseph Stalin and Gandhi
Cult of Personality
Cult of Personality

Neon lights a Nobel Prize
A leader speaks, that leader dies
You don't have to follow me
Only you can set you free

You gave me fortune
You gave me fame
You me power in your God's name
I'm every person you need to be

38yrsfan
09-08-2004, 11:06 AM
Religous intolerance

Braincase
Hypocrisy and Dishonesty

Saulbadguy
Currently, or over a period of time?

Clint in Wichita
09-08-2004, 11:08 AM
Not even close. Religion

Once you get religion involved in an issue the issue will get worse. The combatants will see it as an attack on the culture/heritage/moral belief system and when that happens you my as well head to the bomb shelter or pick up arms cuz they are going to be bringin it.

I agree 100%, and I would go so far as to say that the world would be far better place if there was no religion.

The negatives of worshippng "superior beings" outweigh the positives IMO.

DanT
09-08-2004, 11:09 AM
From what I've seen, the main source of conflict in the world is that people want to control things that they are not entitled to--like other peoples' property, work or opinions.

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 11:11 AM
Hmm. I probably should have put xenophobia and tribalism on there as an option. Can a moderator add it?

I answered religion out of kneejerk habit, but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it's cultural differences. Of course, the truth is that the two are fundamentally intertwined.

Clint in Wichita
09-08-2004, 11:11 AM
From what I've seen, the main source of conflict in the world is that people want to control things that they are not entitled to--like other peoples' property, work or opinions.

Often because their god(s) "tells" them they have a right to.

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 11:12 AM
Currently, or over a period of time?

Hmm, good point. Let's say in the past 100 years. Bonus points for answering in the past 5,000 years.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2004, 11:13 AM
I'd have to say a mix between economic disparities and self-interest, over human existance. Religion doesn't even come close to that IMO.

|Zach|
09-08-2004, 11:13 AM
Bronco fans coming to grips that they don't have Elway QBing their team.

ptlyon
09-08-2004, 11:15 AM
Hmm, good point. Let's say in the past 100 years. Bonus points for answering in the past 5,000 years.

Well mine at the bottom started with Adam and Eve.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2004, 11:16 AM
Hmm....take some of the major wars fought fought by the USA.
WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Civil, Revolutionary...now think about each one individually, and what the causes were. :D

Saulbadguy
09-08-2004, 11:17 AM
Hmm. I probably should have put xenophobia and tribalism on there as an option. Can a moderator add it?

I answered religion out of kneejerk habit, but the more I think about the more I wonder if it's cultural differences. Of course, the truth is that the two are fundamentally intertwined.
Yea, I think Religion might win because of "a sign of the times", but really think about it, Religion is not it. Religion is oft cited as an EXCUSE for war, bloodshed, etc..but there ALWAYS is an underlying motive.

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 11:22 AM
Hmm....take some of the major wars fought fought by the USA.
WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Korea, Civil, Revolutionary...now think about each one individually, and what the causes were. :D

That's hard. Thinking about the war itself (rather than the U.S. entry), I'd go with:

WWI. Cultural differences? (Tribalism)
WWII. Political.
Vietnam. I honestly can't classify it. Was it political by North Vietnam, or was it self-interest by North Vietnam, or was it some sort of recovery after colonialism?
Civil. Self-interest.
Revolutionary. Economic disparities/injustices.

Kylo Ren
09-08-2004, 11:23 AM
Not even close. Religion

Once you get religion involved in an issue the issue will get worse. The combatants will see it as an attack on the culture/heritage/moral belief system and when that happens you my as well head to the bomb shelter or pick up arms cuz they are going to be bringin it. More specifically ........... Radical Islam :mad:

Rausch
09-08-2004, 11:24 AM

In that case, resources.

When given a chance any empire/nation has grown by whatever means necessary. Religon has just been the tool to motivate people to fight in it.

Clint in Wichita
09-08-2004, 11:25 AM
More specifically ........... Radical Islam :mad:

Radical Islam wouldn't exist had Islam never existed in the first place.

My answer is still religion.

Mark M
09-08-2004, 11:25 AM
What is the main source of conflict?

The unfailing supidity of human beings when assembled in large groups.

MM
~~:shrug:

HolyHandgernade
09-08-2004, 11:26 AM
Fear and Boundaries.

Clint in Wichita
09-08-2004, 11:31 AM
Yea, I think Religion might win because of "a sign of the times", but really think about it, Religion is not it. Religion is oft cited as an EXCUSE for war, bloodshed, etc..but there ALWAYS is an underlying motive.

It doesn't matter. Without the ability to use religion as a motivational tool for the masses of suckers out there, many conflicts would never have taken place.

Religion may not always be the sole cause, but it almost always plays a crucial role in major conflicts.

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 11:33 AM
It's interesting that religion, culture, and race tend to all run in packs. Most brownish Middle Easterners who wear robes and eat tabouli are muslim. Most whitish Europeans who wear suits and eat pizza are Christian. Most oriental Asians who .... etc., etc.

I wonder why there's such a strong correlation? It's got to be more than a coincidence.

ptlyon
09-08-2004, 11:35 AM
It's interesting that religion, culture, and race tend to all run in packs. Most brownish Middle Easterners who wear robes and eat tabouli are muslim. Most whitish Europeans who wear suits and eat pizza are Christian. Most oriental Asians who .... etc., etc.

I wonder why there's such a strong correlation? It's got to be more than a coincidence.

Yeah, but what about the dumb b!+ches?

Clint in Wichita
09-08-2004, 11:36 AM

People tend to segregate themselves, resulting in different cultures.

Even within one city, you can usually tell the race of the majority of the people living nearby without seeing any of them.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2004, 11:48 AM
More specifically ........... Radical Islam :mad:
Yet another gem from Gunther_Fan...

C-Mac
09-08-2004, 11:50 AM
I agree 100%, and I would go so far as to say
that the world would be far better place if there was no religion.

.....far better place if there was no "violent or intolerant" religion.(which basically covers most)

The negatives of worshippng "superior beings" outweigh the positives IMO.

So the opposite I assume would be worship of "inferior beings" or basically "self worship"?

Mark M
09-08-2004, 11:51 AM
Where is the "It's all Gaz's fault" option?

MM

ROYC75
09-08-2004, 11:53 AM
Combination of these .....Religious intolerance ,Self-interest - seizure of resources, etc

C-Mac
09-08-2004, 11:54 AM

Dig a little deaper in that history......religion is #1 reason for conflict.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2004, 11:58 AM
Dig a little deaper in that history......religion is #1 reason for conflict.
It could be either or, but I believe economic desparity and self-interest to be the underlying factor. This of course being on a larger scale. On a smaller scale, why do individuals kill one another? I can guarantee you the #1 cause is NOT religion.

C-Mac
09-08-2004, 12:00 PM

I answered religion out of kneejerk habit, but the more I think about it the more I wonder if it's cultural differences. Of course, the truth is that the two are fundamentally intertwined.

Yes, but all due respect, "culture" is basically molded from ones religion and usually is defined after a "religion" has been established.

Clint in Wichita
09-08-2004, 12:02 PM
.....far better place if there was no "violent or intolerant" religion.(which basically covers most)

So the opposite I assume would be worship of "inferior beings" or basically "self worship"?

All violent and intolerant religions began as "normal" religions.

What I meant was NO worship AT ALL.

Saulbadguy
09-08-2004, 12:03 PM
Yes, but all due respect, "culture" is basically molded from ones religion and usually is defined after a "religion" has been established.
Hmm...interesting. Very interesting. But I think we've past all that, at least in this country. We have Black jews, Asian christians, and White buddhists. Culture now a days is more defined by economic disparity, and even political beliefs added in. 200 years ago, i'd say you were right on the money.

go bo
09-08-2004, 01:11 PM
territorial disputes, arising from economic, political and/or cultural causes...

most conflict seems to occur when one group wants to take control of territory belonging to (or claimed by) another group...

colonial conquest and the resulting nationalistic movements, nazis and others bent on world domination, serbs engaging in ethnic cleansing to take control of non-serbian (or partially serbian) areas, the israeli-arab dispute, the chechnya-russia dispute...

in a sense, even terrorism is related (at least in part) to one group (terrorists) wanting to eject westerners from their lands and gain control of muslim lands...

HC_Chief
09-08-2004, 01:18 PM
The only source of conflict in life = desire. Thus sayeth the Buddah :D

BigRedChief
09-08-2004, 01:22 PM
Where is the "It's all Gaz's fault" option?

MM
WTF a long timer like Rain man leaving off a "Gaz" option? Who wudda thunk it? :hmmm:

Jenson71
09-08-2004, 01:26 PM
Corrupt leaders, of corrupt nations, of corrupt religions, driven by greed.

Hydrae
09-08-2004, 01:37 PM
I looked at this as a question about conflicts around the world in my lifetime. Since it seems like a lot of that would be conflicts in Central America and Africa, I voted for the political motives option. Since most of those conflicts are along the civil war lines, it is all about who has the power irregardless of religion, culture and race. This could be looked at as attempts to even out economic disparity (often the case in civil wars, the poor rising against the rich) or simple self interest (can you say dictator?).

Over all though, most of the conflicts going on in the world are things that we common Americans are not even aware of or are aware of peripherally only.

ptlyon
09-08-2004, 01:39 PM
How is "Women" not an option?

Please see post #1

Raiderhater
09-08-2004, 01:43 PM
Could you not list most of, if not all of, the options under self interest?

ptlyon
09-08-2004, 01:44 PM
You're the only one making any sense on this thread.

Oh Mega Hella Rep

MOhillbilly
09-08-2004, 01:51 PM
Lack of ass kicking Rock n' Roll.

Jenson71
09-08-2004, 01:53 PM
Lack of ass kicking Rock n' Roll.

It's close to that, but I would say my #2 reason is too much CGI, or too many comic book movie adaptions.

ROYC75
09-08-2004, 01:55 PM
In the beginning, it was Religious intolerance . Since then it both religous and Self-interest - seizure of resources.

jspchief
09-08-2004, 02:16 PM
Could you not list most of, if not all of, the options under self interest?

Exactly. It's all self interest, performed in the name of all the other options.

Although deeper, I think it's just human nature.

Slayer Diablo
09-08-2004, 02:18 PM
Self-interests are the main source...religion is its scapegoat. It's much easier for someone to say "It's God's will" than "I disagree with _____ so much that I want to kill ______."

Raiderhater
09-08-2004, 02:27 PM
Exactly. It's all self interest, performed in the name of all the other options.

Although deeper, I think it's just human nature.

That is how I see it. It is nothing more than the selfish desires that is inherrent in all of us. Some of us are able to learn to think not only of ourselves but others as well. Some of us aren't.

And there it is.

Fanton
09-08-2004, 02:30 PM

In other words, globalization. Mad rep for that DanT.

patteeu
09-08-2004, 02:56 PM
My choice is disputes over resources. I voted for "economic disparities" and then as the screen was refreshing I noticed that "resources" were referred to in the "self interest" option. That's probably what my vote should have been.

I'd put cultural differences at number 2 but in many cases I think that that's really just how the groups that fight over resources define themselves.

patteeu
09-08-2004, 03:03 PM
WTF a long timer like Rain man leaving off a "Gaz" option? Who wudda thunk it? :hmmm:

If Rain Man says the Gaz option is no longer fashionable, the Gaz option is no longer fashionable. Don't fight fashion, society will ridicule you.

Iowanian
09-08-2004, 03:03 PM
Penis Envy.

patteeu
09-08-2004, 03:05 PM
You're the only one making any sense on this thread.

Well I hadn't posted yet when you made this comment, but I intended "women" to be covered by my choice of disputes over resources.

Raiderhater
09-08-2004, 03:13 PM
If Rain Man says the Gaz option is no longer fashionable, the Gaz option is no longer fashionable. Don't fight fashion, society will ridicule you.

You're telling me that Kevin has toppled the Planet icon that is Gaz? Wow.

I tend to think that the power to build or destroy another poster placed in the hands of one individual is a bit dangerous. Especially if that individual is as eccentric as Kevin......

Of course, how do you stop someone like Kevin from obtaining that power?

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Here's a list of current world conflicts, according to the Center for Defense Information. (pdf link) They cite the cause(s) in here as well.

http://www.worldpress.org/link.cfm?http://www.cdi.org/dm/2003/dm1-2003.pdf[/url]

MAIN WARRING PARTIES YEAR BEGAN CAUSE(S) OTHER FOREIGN INVOLVEMENT/CONDITIONS

World-Wide War on Terror: U.S. vs. “terrorists with 2001 Sept. 11, 2001 attacks UN, multiple countries
global reach”
MIDDLE EAST
Iraq vs. Desert Storm Coalition (U.S. & U.K.) 1991 Stop WMD development UN economic sanctions
Iraq government (Sunni) vs. Shi’a (Supreme 1991 Religious Iran; U.S. & U.K. (No-fly zone); Kuwait,
Council for Islamic Revolution in Iraq) Saudi Arabia, Bahrain (bases)
Iraq vs. Kurds 1961 Independence U.S. (No-fly zone); Turkey (bases)
Israel vs. Hamas and Hezbollah, Islamic Jihad 1975 Religious & Territory UN, U.S., Syria, Lebanon, Iran
and others
Israel vs. Palestinian Authority; Al-Aqsa Intifada 1948-94 Independent state U.S., UN, European Union, Jordan, Egypt
ASIA
Afghanistan: Kabul govt. vs. Taliban and regional 1978 Ethnic, Religious & Territory U.S., UN, NATO allies, Iran, Russia,
warlords Tajikistan, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Kyrgyzstan
India vs. Jammu & Kashmir Liberation Front* 1989 Ethnic & Religious UN
India vs. Assam and Manipur insurgents 1982 Independence UN
(ULFA & NDFB) 1986
India: Hindu vs. Muslim communal violence 1948 Religious None
India vs. Pakistan 1948 Ethnic & Religious UN, U.S.
Indonesia vs. Christians & Muslims in 1977 Religious & Territory None
Maluccan Islands
Indonesia vs. Christians & Muslims on Sulawesi Island 1977 Religious & Territory None
People’s Republic of China vs. Uighur East Turkestan 1982 Independence None
Independence Movement
Philippines vs. Moro Islamic Liberation Front 1984 Religious None
Philippines vs. New People’s Army 1969 Ideological None
Philippines vs. Abu Sayyaf 1999 Criminal & Terrorist U.S., Libya, Malaysia
AFRICA
Algeria vs. Armed Islamic Group (GIA) 1991 Religious vs. Secular rule UN, France U.S.
Burundi: Tutsi vs. Hutu 1988 Ethnic UN, South Africa
Democratic Republic of Congo vs. indigenous rebels 1997 Ethnic UN, France, Angola, Chad, Zimbabwe, Namibia,
Rwanda, Uganda, Burundi, African Union, South Africa
Liberia vs. Liberians United for Reconciliation and 2001 Power UN, Economic Community of West African States
Democracy (LURD) Monitoring Group (ECOMOG)
Nigeria communal violence 1970 Religious, Ethnic & Economic None
Somalia: factions 1978 Ethnic UN (humanitarian aid), U.S., Ethiopia, Kenya
Sudan vs. Sudanese People’s Liberation Army 1983 Ethnic & Religious U.S., Iran, Uganda
Uganda vs. Lord’s Army 1986 Power Sudan
EUROPE
Russia vs. Chechnya 1994; 1996 Independence Organization for Security and Cooperation in
Europe (OSCE), Georgia
LATIN AMERICA
Colombia vs. National Liberation Army (ELN) 1978 Drug trade & Ideology U.S.
Colombia vs. Revolutionary Armed Forces of 1978 Drug trade & Ideology U.S.
Colombia (FARC)
Colombia vs. Autodefensas Unidas de Colombia (AUC) 1990 Drug trade & Ideology Right wing militia
Peru vs. Sendero Luminoso 1981 Ideology & Drug Trade None
*Principal groups are Hizbul Mujaheddin, al-Badr, Lashkar-i-Taiba, and Hargat ul-Ansar, backed by the Jamiat-e-Islami movement.

Sorry, it won't format well.

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 03:16 PM

I tend to think that the power to build or destroy another poster placed in the hands of one individual is a bit dangerous. Especially if that individual is as eccentric as Kevin......

In case anyone's curious, I only did it out of self-interest to control Gaz's resources.

Raiderhater
09-08-2004, 03:20 PM
In case anyone's curious, I only did it out of self-interest to control Gaz's resources.

LOL!

Hydrae
09-08-2004, 03:24 PM

I see a lot of Tequila Rose in your future!

patteeu
09-08-2004, 03:41 PM

Rain Man is like the Walmart of poll creators. If Rain Man doesn't want to carry the Gaz option then it is only a matter of time before the Gaz option becomes a quaint memory like the Mom & Pop dimestore soda fountain. Make way for progress.

Rain Man
09-08-2004, 04:20 PM
Excellent observation. I've been driving small independent poll creators off of BBs for several years.

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-08-2004, 05:21 PM
Personally, I vote for Donger's polls.

They're stupid enough to make me want to punch someone out.

Skip Towne
09-08-2004, 05:33 PM
Excellent observation. I've been driving small independent poll creators off of BBs for several years.
You're a menace to society.

go bo
09-08-2004, 10:01 PM
That is how I see it. It is nothing more than the selfish desires that is inherrent in all of us. Some of us are able to learn to think not only of ourselves but others as well. Some of us aren't.

And there it is.omg!! you're a closet liberal!!! :p :p :p