PDA

View Full Version : Fantasy Questions - Week One

Hoover
09-08-2004, 02:01 PM
Alright - I thought I'd make a weekly thread where people can ask all there fantasy football questions, instead of 14 different threads.

Here are my questions

1. What do I do with players from Tenn and Miami this week? There is word that the game could be postponed, do I play it safe and not play McNair and other players from those two teams?

2. Trade Question. I have Aaron Brooks as my starting QB. I'm not overly worried about him, he was on my championship team last year. I have been offered Marc Bulger and a WR for Brooks and Moulds. The WR I want is Javon Walker, but I don't think he will part with him. My starting WRs are Chad Johnson and Darrell Jackson

HolmeZz
09-08-2004, 02:10 PM
Moulds is better than Walker and I'd want Brooks over Bulger at this point, so don't do the trade.

As for the Tenn/Miami game, they won't wait till the last minute to postpone it, so don't mess with your team right now.

Thig Lyfe
09-08-2004, 02:12 PM
1. Who should I start with Travis Henry, Curtis Martin or Kevin Jones?
2. Should I try to trade Joey Porter and Curtis Martin for Corey Dillon? Would this be accepted?

HolmeZz
09-08-2004, 02:16 PM
I'd keep Porter and Martin. I think Curtis will have a huge year this year.

And of the 3 you mentioned, I'd start Curtis. Henry hasn't played since early in the preseason, and Jax has a good defense. I don't expect a lot out of Jones in his first NFL game, against an upgraded Chicago D. I like Martin's chances against Cincinnati though.

Thig Lyfe
09-08-2004, 02:20 PM
Since I can start two RBs, which two should I start then?

HolmeZz
09-08-2004, 02:21 PM
Henry and Martin then.

jspchief
09-08-2004, 02:24 PM
1. Who should I start with Travis Henry, Curtis Martin or Kevin Jones?
2. Should I try to trade Joey Porter and Curtis Martin for Corey Dillon? Would this be accepted?

I'd keep Martin. NE hasn't shown any dedication to the run and Dillion has been on a steady decline. I don't expect much from him.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-08-2004, 02:27 PM
i wouldn't trade brooks and moulds just because I don't like Bulger. I had Bulger last year and he did have some good weeks but he faded near the end of the season and threw way too many interceptions. I don't think much will change this season. brooks is a good qb and moulds can still produce. JMO

Now I have a question. Pick 3 recievers McCareins, Toomer, Porter, S. Moss
and
Barlow or Dillon

Hydrae
09-08-2004, 02:36 PM
i wouldn't trade brooks and moulds just because I don't like Bulger. I had Bulger last year and he did have some good weeks but he faded near the end of the season and threw way too many interceptions. I don't think much will change this season. brooks is a good qb and moulds can still produce. JMO

Now I have a question. Pick 3 recievers McCareins, Toomer, Porter, S. Moss
and
Barlow or Dillon

McCareins, Toomer and Moss IMO
Barlow for sure, he is all that team has.

jAZ
09-08-2004, 02:37 PM
1. What do I do with players from Tenn and Miami this week? There is word that the game could be postponed, do I play it safe and not play McNair and other players from those two teams?
Where did you hear this?

tk13
09-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Where did you hear this?
They've been talking about it for a while now due to Hurricane Ivan I assume.

If I'm not mistaken, it's not on track to hit Florida directly at the moment, but either way it's not projected to make landfall in North America until early next week. Obviously that could change I guess if the hurricane speeds up considerably, but right now I'd stick with leaving them in...

Hoover
09-08-2004, 02:39 PM
Where did you hear this?
The weather channel

KC Jones
09-08-2004, 02:41 PM
Who do you start among these WRs?

Deion Branch (NE - heard he might start due to others being injured)
Peter Warrick (Cinci - rumored to be starting but he had surgery last year and is just now returning)
Terry Glenn (Still has some speed but with Vinny throwing behind that O-line I'm not too sure about him)

This is for my last WR slot so it's not like these are my top 3 WRs.

jspchief
09-08-2004, 02:43 PM
McCareins, Toomer and Moss IMO
Barlow for sure, he is all that team has.

Agree. For now. If Porter looks like he's going to be utilized, sit McCareins down (or Moss if JM is getting more balls). A WR tandem is good for security, but it'll rarely give you the points you need to win, since one guy's numbers will usually suffer at the expense of the other. Just look at Harrison's numbers last year when Wayne had good games.

patteeu
09-08-2004, 02:46 PM
Alright - I thought I'd make a weekly thread where people can ask all there fantasy football questions, instead of 14 different threads.

Here are my questions

Go with McNair. No freaking hurricane is gonna keep that guy down.

Seriously, at this point I'd expect them to play.

2. Trade Question. I have Aaron Brooks as my starting QB. I'm not overly worried about him, he was on my championship team last year. I have been offered Marc Bulger and a WR for Brooks and Moulds. The WR I want is Javon Walker, but I don't think he will part with him. My starting WRs are Chad Johnson and Darrell Jackson

If your league penalizes interceptions, stay away from Bulger. If you do decide to make the QB trade, I'd hold out for Javon Walker or walk away from the deal.

Thig Lyfe
09-08-2004, 02:52 PM
How's my recieving corp?
M. Harrison
H. Ward
J. Horn
J. Porter
M. Robins0n
D. Branch

Anybody worth trading for a Domanick Davis or Kevan Barlow?

BigVE
09-08-2004, 02:53 PM
Who do you start among these WRs?

Deion Branch (NE - heard he might start due to others being injured)
Peter Warrick (Cinci - rumored to be starting but he had surgery last year and is just now returning)
Terry Glenn (Still has some speed but with Vinny throwing behind that O-line I'm not too sure about him)

This is for my last WR slot so it's not like these are my top 3 WRs.

I heard the same thing about Branch so he has to be the starter out of these 3.

My question: which to start as my 3rd wr/rb combo: L Fitzgerald, R Wayne?

TE: J. Witten or B. Franks?

Hydrae
09-08-2004, 02:59 PM
Agree. For now. If Porter looks like he's going to be utilized, sit McCareins down (or Moss if JM is getting more balls). A WR tandem is good for security, but it'll rarely give you the points you need to win, since one guy's numbers will usually suffer at the expense of the other. Just look at Harrison's numbers last year when Wayne had good games.

I agree with this for the overall look. I was looking at matchups and threw Porter out of the mix due to Oakland playing the Steelers. This is a tough group to say for week one (like anything is sure for week one!).

jAZ
09-08-2004, 03:00 PM
The weather channel
They were talking about postponing the game on the weather channel? That's what I was refering to.

Just trying to determine if its speculation on your part, or a contingency plan in place by the league.

I've got Miami's D starting.

Hydrae
09-08-2004, 03:01 PM

I would definately use Bubba most all year unless Dallas starts making more use of the TE. Witten is a good TE but I don't think he will see a lot of balls from Vinnie.

As to the WR, I would have to go with the rookie because there is no one else in Arizona. Wayne will not do well as the #2 against the Pats this week at least.

BigVE
09-08-2004, 03:07 PM
I agree....thats who I have in.

patteeu
09-08-2004, 03:29 PM
I waited until late to draft a QB and I'm not that thrilled with my choice. Out of these available QB's, which two do you consider the best fantasy options over the course of this season (or at least for the first few games):

Jeff Garcia (Cle) - He has a bunch of decent receivers and a couple of good RBs to play with but his offensive line isn't a team strength.

Jake Delhomme (Car) - He had a really good season last year and has some good weapons in Stephen Davis and Steve Smith, but his offensive line has 3 or 4 new starters replacing guys who left in free agency.

Jay Fiedler (Mia) - No running game so he may be forced to throw a lot to Chris Chambers and Marty Booker. His job isn't secure and he's on a team that will probably struggle.

Drew Brees (SD) - Had a good preseason and has a stud RB who can take a lot of heat off of him by catching passes out of the backfield. His job isn't too secure although it will probably be a while before Rivers is ready and his team will probably struggle.

Vinny Testeverde (Dal) - Surrounded by aging veterans and a decent offensive line. Has maturity on his side, but doesn't have any mobility. Has a good defense for what it's worth.

Byron Leftwich (Jac) - Had a good season last year and has lots of weapons and a good defense. Don't know anything about his offensive line, but he is reasonably mobile (he's young but he's not Mike Vick). He has a thumb injury and we all know how that can nag a QB for a long time.

Kyle Boller (Bal) - Looked good at times last year before a season ending injury. Has Heap to throw to and a strong running game and defense. WR corp is mediocre.

Tim Rattay (SF) - A no-name offense in a rebuilding year. If you pick this guy you will have to convince me.

Mark Brunell (Wash) - Guy is getting pretty old, but he does have a couple of decent receivers including Laveranous Coles and a good running game (although Portis probably won't do much catching the ball). All accounts are that Gibbs likes to feature the running game.

Kurt Warner (NYG) - Horrible offensive line, doesn't usually do well under pressure, has Eli Manning breathing down his neck. Couple of decent receivers and an RB who can catch. Has two MVP trophies and a Superbowl ring in his trophy case, but I'm in a league that penalizes interceptions and he doesn't have Marshall Faulk to take the pressure off of him anymore.

What do you think? Pick 2. Thanks.

patteeu
09-08-2004, 03:33 PM

I'd start Witten. I've had Franks on my team twice and he is a dog as far as I'm concerned.

Hydrae
09-08-2004, 03:35 PM
I waited until late to draft a QB and I'm not that thrilled with my choice. Out of these available QB's, which two do you consider the best fantasy options over the course of this season (or at least for the first few games):

Jeff Garcia (Cle) - He has a bunch of decent receivers and a couple of good RBs to play with but his offensive line isn't a team strength.

Jake Delhomme (Car) - He had a really good season last year and has some good weapons in Stephen Davis and Steve Smith, but his offensive line has 3 or 4 new starters replacing guys who left in free agency.

Jay Fiedler (Mia) - No running game so he may be forced to throw a lot to Chris Chambers and Marty Booker. His job isn't secure and he's on a team that will probably struggle.

Drew Brees (SD) - Had a good preseason and has a stud RB who can take a lot of heat off of him by catching passes out of the backfield. His job isn't too secure although it will probably be a while before Rivers is ready and his team will probably struggle.

Vinny Testeverde (Dal) - Surrounded by aging veterans and a decent offensive line. Has maturity on his side, but doesn't have any mobility. Has a good defense for what it's worth.

Byron Leftwich (Jac) - Had a good season last year and has lots of weapons and a good defense. Don't know anything about his offensive line, but he is reasonably mobile (he's young but he's not Mike Vick). He has a thumb injury and we all know how that can nag a QB for a long time.

Kyle Boller (Bal) - Looked good at times last year before a season ending injury. Has Heap to throw to and a strong running game and defense. WR corp is mediocre.

Tim Rattay (SF) - A no-name offense in a rebuilding year. If you pick this guy you will have to convince me.

Mark Brunell (Wash) - Guy is getting pretty old, but he does have a couple of decent receivers including Laveranous Coles and a good running game (although Portis probably won't do much catching the ball). All accounts are that Gibbs likes to feature the running game.

Kurt Warner (NYG) - Horrible offensive line, doesn't usually do well under pressure, has Eli Manning breathing down his neck. Couple of decent receivers and an RB who can catch. Has two MVP trophies and a Superbowl ring in his trophy case, but I'm in a league that penalizes interceptions and he doesn't have Marshall Faulk to take the pressure off of him anymore.

What do you think? Pick 2. Thanks.

Ouch!

Okay, now that that is out of the way. I would go with Leftwich and Garcia. I would have put Brunell in this mix but with Portis not really being a receiving threat out of the backfield and 2 big injuries on the starting o-line I would be doubtful of him for fantasy.

jspchief
09-08-2004, 03:53 PM
I agree with this for the overall look. I was looking at matchups and threw Porter out of the mix due to Oakland playing the Steelers. This is a tough group to say for week one (like anything is sure for week one!).

The Steelers secondary is aweful. Porter is definately in a favorible match-up. I'm rethinking my first opinion.

Other random answers:

Play Wayne over Fitzgerald. Harrison will be covered by Ty Law. I'd be inclined to play Witten for match-up reasons (GB faces Carolina D)

Start Deion Branch

BigVE
09-08-2004, 04:10 PM
I'd start Witten. I've had Franks on my team twice and he is a dog as far as I'm concerned.

I have had him twice also...BUT he is playing for a contract this year so i expect him to raise his level of play, plus the matchup is better for Bubba this week.

patteeu
09-08-2004, 04:17 PM
I have had him twice also...BUT he is playing for a contract this year so i expect him to raise his level of play, plus the matchup is better for Bubba this week.

Sounds like a couple of good arguments to me. My take was pure emotion.

jAZ
09-08-2004, 05:03 PM
Out of these available QB's, which two do you consider the best fantasy options over the course of this season (or at least for the first few games):

I'd go Byron Leftwich and either Garcia or Delhomme.

Demonpenz
09-08-2004, 06:01 PM
The weather channel

I wouldn't trust the weather channel much, it told me to start wheatley over Faulk last year