PDA

View Full Version : Texarkana Gazette: Area trio expects Chiefs to challenge for Super Bowl

Bob Dole
09-09-2004, 01:03 PM
By LOUIE AVERY
Texarkana Gazette

IRVING, Texas-Some preseason prognosticators predict New England will repeat in the American Football Conference, but there was strong opposition to that way of thinking here last Thursday night at Texas Stadium.

It should come as no surprise that Eric Warfield, Derrick Blaylock and Jimmy Wilkerson believe the Patriots will be unseated by the Kansas City Chiefs. All three former Texarkana All-Area performers are now playing in the NFL for the Chiefs, and their success in 2004 would contribute to Kansas City's hopes of playing in Super Bowl XXXIX.

A year ago the Chiefs' offense ranked among the NFL's best, but the team's defense could not stop the likes of New England and Indianapolis. Warfield, a former Arkansas High all-stater, and Wilkerson, who led Paul Pewitt to a state championship, are hoping the hiring of Gunther Cunningham as defensive coordinatior will be a decisive factor this season.

"It's no secret we must play better defense to get to the Super Bowl," Warfield said after last Thursday's preseason loss to the Dallas Cowboys. "I know we're going to be better on defense, and I know I'm going into a new season feeling better then ever. It's the first time in four years I've started a season healthy.

"I've been pleased with my camp. I've had a very productive camp. The pain I had before in my back is not bothering me anymore. Right now I can't wait to get started."

The 280-pound Wilkerson echoed Warfield's sentiments. At the time he wasn't even sure he'd be in a Kansas City uniform at the start of the season.

"It's really been a learning experience with the new defensive coordinator," Wilkerson said. "Fortunately for me I played defensive end my sophomore and junior years at Oklahoma. I know I'm going to be nervous with all the cuts to be made this weekend, but if I do get cut I've got a real good chance of going to another team."

Wilkerson did survive the Chiefs' final cuts, and will probably be listed on the depth chart as a third-team left end. That's where he lined up in the second half against the Cowboys, playing nearly two quarters and finishing with two solo tackles.

"I thought I did ok tonight," the former schoolboy quarterback said. "I'll watch film tomorrow and try to correct those things I did wrong. I know I'm bigger, stronger and faster than I've ever been. I played in 12 games last season as a rookie, so I'm pretty confident I'll get an opportunity to play again this season."

The most active of the three area players could be Blaylock, even though he's listed on the depth chart as a third-team running back.

Blaylock's versatility will earn him a few carries during the season, and probably an opportunity to catch several passes. He will also see extensive action on all special teams.

Last Thursday Blaylock led the Chiefs' running game with 31 yards on 10 carries, and it was evident those numbers meant a lot to him. He was asked just moments after the Cowboys' 24-20 victory how he felt about his performance, and he quoted his statistics without error.

"I had 10 carries for 31 yards, but that's really not a very good average," said the former Atlanta High School standout. "I feel pretty good about my performance, but there is no job security in the NFL. It's always going to come down to what the coaches think. My ability to catch the ball is an asset, and my special teams play has also been a big thing for me."

Blaylock's tackle on the game's opening kickoff last week may have prevented a long touchdown run by the Cowboys' Jacques Reeves.

Blaylock said there was a definite bond between him, Warfield and Wilkerson because they grew up in the same geographical region.

"Football is a team sport, and if there's a family-type atmosphere, you're a leg up on a lot of other people," Blaylock concluded.

Source (http://texarkanagazette.com/articles/2004/09/09/local_news/sports/sports02.txt)

Rain Man
09-09-2004, 01:05 PM
Wow, Texarkana is a football factory. Due to a lack of other theories, I attribute it to Bob Dole's guidance.

htismaqe
09-09-2004, 01:07 PM
"It's no secret we must play better defense to get to the Super Bowl," Warfield said after last Thursday's preseason loss to the Dallas Cowboys. "I know we're going to be better on defense, and I know I'm going into a new season feeling better then ever. It's the first time in four years I've started a season healthy.

"I've been pleased with my camp. I've had a very productive camp. The pain I had before in my back is not bothering me anymore. Right now I can't wait to get started."

This is EXCELLENT news and should help put some of those worries to rest.

Skip Towne
09-09-2004, 01:41 PM
Priest was born in Ft. Smith, not far away.

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 01:51 PM
I really like the attitude of all the Chiefs players this year. They sound like they are on a mission from God and will stop at nothing to win the Super Bowl. The defensive players all sound like they have bought into the Gunther philosophy and will give 110% this year. I have a great feeling that this is our year. Go Chiefs!!!!!!

Mark M
09-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Um ... I didn't know we played New England last year. :spock:

Other than that, great article.

MM
~~:arrow:

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-09-2004, 02:13 PM
Well if the Texarkana Gazette says it...it must be true!

:thumb:

Bob Dole
09-09-2004, 02:18 PM
Priest was born in Ft. Smith, not far away.

Richard Smith is from Shreveport, which is only about 60 miles from here, too.

38yrsfan
09-09-2004, 05:27 PM
The defense will obviously be the key. Even if the offense isn't as stellar as last year it will be among the top 3. It is the defense that the Chiefs playoff strides will need improvement from to avoid last years showing.