PDA

View Full Version : CHIEFS NOTES: Showdown in opener

royr17
09-09-2004, 01:35 PM
Didnt see this posted anywhere so I thought i post it.

CHIEFS NOTES: Showdown in opener

The Kansas City Star

The NFL recently has given the Chiefs a couple of difficult opening-day assignments. They opened against defending AFC West champion Oakland in 2001 and against defending AFC East champion Indianapolis the year before.

Both of those games were played, at least, in the comfort of Arrowhead Stadium. To find a road season opener with as many ramifications as Sunday's game in Denver, you'd have to go back to 1997, when the Chiefs also opened their season at Mile High Stadium.

The Broncos won that day 19-3, and the two teams went on to become the best in the AFC. They eventually met in a playoff game at Arrowhead, with the Broncos taking a hard-fought 14-10 victory.

Sunday's game is perhaps bigger for the Broncos than the Chiefs because they're playing at home. If the Chiefs can sneak away with a win, they then run the AFC West race on their terms.

“It allows no room for error,'' Denver quarterback Jake Plummer said. “We've got to be on point, ready to go. It's a big-time game with a national audience.''

NUMBER CHANGES

For those who want to be first on the block with a Richard Smith jersey, don't rush out and buy one with the No. 2 Smith wore during the preseason. Smith's number has been changed to 17.

The Chiefs will also make two other number changes in time for the Denver game: Defensive end Jimmy Wilkerson switched from 66 to 96 and injured rookie tight end Kris Wilson changed from 40 to 84.

INJURY REPORT

Wilson, linebackers Kawika Mitchell and Shawn Barber and wide receiver Samie Parker did not practice. Barber was attending to a personal matter but was expected back to work today.

CHIEFS

Pos. Player Injury Stat.
TE Kris Wilson leg O
LB Kawika Mitchell ankle D
WR Samie Parker hamstring Q
WR Dante Hall shin P
CB Dexter McCleon shoulder P
WR Johnnie Morton Achilles' P
G Brian Waters biceps P

BRONCOS

Pos. Player Injury Stat.
DT Luther Elliss shoulder Q
OT Cornell Green groin Q
LB Pat Chukwurah back P
LB Terry Pierce knee P

O—will not play; D—unlikely to play; Q—status uncertain; P—likely to play

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 01:43 PM
I saw Jake Plummer's interview last night and he seemed very concerned. I'm lovin' it. Go CHIEFS!!!!!!!

jersey
09-09-2004, 02:02 PM
I saw Jake Plummer's interview last night and he seemed very concerned. I'm lovin' it. Go CHIEFS!!!!!!!

He's concerned because someone might figure out he's not really an NFL QB.

-jersey (The Charger Fan)

Lzen
09-09-2004, 02:02 PM

Oh really? What did he say? Got a link or something?

ptlyon
09-09-2004, 02:06 PM
He's concerned because someone might figure out he's not really an NFL QB.

-jersey (The Charger Fan)

dandy! rep.

Lightning Rod
09-09-2004, 02:18 PM
While this is only week one and won't answer all our questions. A win this Sunday will be a great way to start. :toast:

Calcountry
09-09-2004, 02:28 PM
I hope we blitz from Plummers blind side once when he fakes that Naked BL, and they put a helmet right in the middle of his back as he is turning arround. :banghead: :cuss: :mad:

htismaqe
09-09-2004, 02:33 PM
I hope we blitz from Plummers blind side once when he fakes that Naked BL, and they put a helmet right in the middle of his back as he is turning arround. :banghead: :cuss: :mad:

Run a couple of corner blitzes. That'll keep him in the pocket.

vckcchiefs04
09-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Run anything..... just make sure to smack the hell out of him!!!! :fire:

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 02:51 PM

confidence in your team is great, but GROSSLY misinterpreting the words of an opposing teams qb is another story.

you dont really believe jake is "worried" do you?

serious, focussed, intense, aware of the implications, yes.

worried? no.

is priest worried? trent?
theyre to busy preparing to worry.

say what you will about plummer, but he is an 8 year vet thats shown an ability to perform in the clutch many times, and he's a LEADER.
worry wouldnt be the word ANYONE besides someone blinded with hate would use to describe him.
your defense will be DRASTICALLY improved with gunther, but its still not the kind of defense that makes an 8 year vet worried.

jake

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 02:54 PM
incidentally, ill be here AFTER the game REGARDLESS of outcome.

i have NO intention of trolling, acting like an idiot, attacking, or even smack talking with anyone.
i just think its interesting to get the opposing teams views, and ill come back after the games either way.

here's to a hard fought injury free game.

jake

ChiTown
09-09-2004, 02:55 PM

i have NO intention of trolling, acting like an idiot, attacking, or even smack talking with anyone.
i just think its interesting to get the opposing teams views, and ill come back after the games either way.

jake

:thumb:

I hope we kick your ass! :)

ExtremeChief
09-09-2004, 03:58 PM

jake

damn homer

ROFL

Hammock Parties
09-09-2004, 04:08 PM
shown an ability to perform in the clutch many times

Except last year. ROFL

Interesting that Rick Smith changed his number to 17. Still kind of ghey.

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 04:09 PM
confidence in your team is great, but GROSSLY misinterpreting the words of an opposing teams qb is another story.

worried? no.

say what you will about plummer, but he is an 8 year vet thats shown an ability to perform in the clutch many times, and he's a LEADER.
worry wouldnt be the word ANYONE besides someone blinded with hate would use to describe him.
your defense will be DRASTICALLY improved with gunther, but its still not the kind of defense that makes an 8 year vet worried.

jake

I didn't misconstrue anything. It is my OPINION that Jake seemed concerned with playing the Chiefs. He heaped out a bunch of praise for the Chiefs and left himself an out when the Broncos lose. Maybe you should see the interview before you call somebody out.

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 04:16 PM
It was on Metro Sports so there is no link. I'll see if I can find the interview that has been written.

tk13
09-09-2004, 04:19 PM
The Sports Guy, Bill Simmons, did his NFL preview the last couple days. This year what he did was take 40 of his favorite quotes from 'Goodfellas' and talk about an NFL subplot that applies. Today he posted the article for the final 20 subplots... and Jake Plummer is involved...

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040909

35. "You want to see helicopters? Come on, I'll show you helicopters."

The strangest sequence in the movie goes to the strangest running subplot in the league: Everyone continuing to discuss Jake Plummer like he's an established QB with a history of leading successful teams. I mean, have you WATCHED him? Have you SEEN his stats? What am I missing here? Seriously. They lose Clinton Portis, they lose Shannon Sharpe, they have an average group of receivers ... and yet Jake Plummer's around, so everything should be okay.

Really? Since when? Check out his career stats on ESPN.com. What am I missing? I see an up-and-down guy who turns 30 this year; cracked 3,500 yards twice in seven seasons; has a 105-121 TD-INT ratio; and has won exactly one playoff game. Am I missing something? Please, fill me in.

(Then again, maybe we can make money from this. In fact, I'll shut up right now.)

I should add that while Simmons is normally very, very good with this prediction stuff (better than the "experts" it seems most of the time), he thinks both the Broncos and Chiefs are going to be victims of NFL parity an Oakland is going to surge up and win the division at 9-7... he admitted that it didn't make a lick of sense. Kinda scary though, I think he predicted every single playoff game right last year... well at least all but 1 or 2.

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 04:25 PM
This may or may not be it. I haven't listened to it from this website. I think has to be though. Check it out...

http://www.denverbroncos.com/page.php?id=913&videoID=430

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 04:29 PM
Meffley listen to the interview. It sounds like Plummer is concerned to me. Quit being such a homer.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2004, 04:32 PM
Gunther is going to BITCHSLAP Plummer.

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Gunther is going to BITCHSLAP Plummer.

im a bronco fan who DOES think gunther will make a BIG difference, but i still get a kick out of statements like this.

GUNTHER isnt playing!!

yes, coaches make a difference, but considering the talent he has to work with there's only so much he can do.

the only opportunity HE'LL have to "bitchslap" plummer is after the game.

jake

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 04:44 PM
Sheesh... Simmons put us at 7-9? Brutal. I will not be in good shape come Christmas time if our season goes that rough.
I can predict that the Chiefs will be 19-0. Still doesn't make it so.

Hammock Parties
09-09-2004, 04:45 PM
im a bronco fan who DOES think gunther will make a BIG difference, but i still get a kick out of statements like this.

GUNTHER isnt playing!!

yes, coaches make a difference, but considering the talent he has to work with there's only so much he can do.

jake

I wasn't speaking literally. I was speaking of his creative use of the blitz. He will put alot of pressure on Plummer.

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 04:48 PM

GUNTHER isnt playing!!

jake
So in your eyes, none of the 11 starters on the Chiefs defense have any talent and Gunther who is a defensive guru can't evaluate talent all the sudden? Your Bronco homervision is in full swing. We may not have the huge defensive names, but to say there isn't any talent on the Chiefs defense is an ignorant statement and reeks of bias.

Rausch
09-09-2004, 04:49 PM

GUNTHER isnt playing!!

jake

You're wrong, Gunther can do WHATEVER THE **** HE WANTS!!! :cuss:

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 04:51 PM
Sheesh... Simmons put us at 7-9? Brutal. I will not be in good shape come Christmas time if our season goes that rough.

thats pretty ridiculous, and so is picking the raiders to win the division.

its not rocket science in the afc west.

kc is returning almost everyone from the best offense in football.
on defense, its the same players, but a better coach.

in denver, we're adding talent to a defense that was top ten last year, and we have an 8 year vet at qb who's in his second year in a system that allowed him to go 9-2 as a starter a year ago.

our two teams are the class of the division, and barring MAJOR injuries or other unforseen turn of events, oone of our teams will be atop the standings.
it doesnt take a genius to figure that out.

jake

KC Dan
09-09-2004, 04:53 PM

in denver, we're adding talent to a defense that was top ten last year, and we have an 8 year vet at qb who's in his second year in a system that allowed him to go 9-2 as a starter a year ago.

our two teams are the class of the division, and barring MAJOR injuries or other unforseen turn of events, oone of our teams will be atop the standings.

jake
and let's subtract the starting HB & TE as well as an aging WR and one who is looking more and more like an underachiever.
Advantage - Chiefs!

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 04:54 PM
I didn't misconstrue anything. It is my OPINION that Jake seemed concerned with playing the Chiefs. He heaped out a bunch of praise for the Chiefs and left himself an out when the Broncos lose. Maybe you should see the interview before you call somebody out.

im not calling anyone out.

im just asking you to realize the difference between "fear" and "humility"

shanahan is a coach that REALLY frowns upon players talking crap through the media, and plummer is an 8 year vet who knows what to say and what not to say.

complimenting the chiefs and expecting a tough game is EXACTLY what he SHOULD be saying as the leader of our team.

jake

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 04:58 PM
and let's subtract the starting HB & TE as well as an aging WR and one who is looking more and more like an underachiever.
Advantage - Chiefs!

and lets subtract the chiefs best offensive lineman, middle linebacker, and realize a coach cant tackle, and that the game's played in denver.

advantage broncos.

give me a break.

we lost portis, and got champ AND bell in return. we have a young tight end who's shown the ability to make catches this camp and preseason, and another who's an outstanding blocker.
we have THREE backs that should be able to make plays, a better offensive line, and a rookie wideout that looks to be a SERIOUS threat as a 3rd wr.
we'll be just fine on offense.

jake

CHIEF4EVER
09-09-2004, 04:59 PM
"Okay, guys... if we convert this third down, we could be well on our way to NOT being the shittiest team in the league this year."

ROFL

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 05:03 PM
im not calling anyone out.

im just asking you to realize the difference between "fear" and "humility"

shanahan is a coach that REALLY frowns upon players talking crap through the media, and plummer is an 8 year vet who knows what to say and what not to say.

complimenting the chiefs and expecting a tough game is EXACTLY what he SHOULD be saying as the leader of our team.

jake
Yea, that's why Sharpe shot his mouth off every interview for the past decade. Tell it to somebody who's buying the crap you are dishing out.

BTW, I never once said Jake was scared or feared the Chiefs, now did I? Looks like you are the one that needs to realize the difference between stating someone is concerned not fearful.

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 05:04 PM
The reaction to this should be entertaining.
How good would Shaq be if he was only 5'5"? LOL :p

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 05:06 PM
So in your eyes, none of the 11 starters on the Chiefs defense have any talent and Gunther who is a defensive guru can't evaluate talent all the sudden? Your Bronco homervision is in full swing. We may not have the huge defensive names, but to say there isn't any talent on the Chiefs defense is an ignorant statement and reeks of bias.

good Lord. when did i say there "isnt any talent on the chiefs defense"?

YOUR homerism or hatred of all things bronco is causing you to COMPLETELY misinterpret my statement.

read the post again.

i said SIMPLY, "given the talent he has, there's only so much he can do."

if you take that as "the chiefs have NO talent," then i would suggest YOU have some issues. i never said that.
the chiefs have SOME talent.
my point is SIMPLY that a coach isnt going to make the WORST defense into the BEST defense.
in other words, if gunther got the chiefs defense to high teens in rank, that would be an achievement.
do i think he'll do just that? yes i do.

i also think that a 18th or 19th ranked defense isnt going to make an 8 year vet too frightened.

jake

BigChiefFan
09-09-2004, 05:11 PM
good Lord. when did i say there "isnt any talent on the chiefs defense"?

YOUR homerism or hatred of all things bronco is causing you to COMPLETELY misinterpret my statement.

read the post again.

i said SIMPLY, "given the talent he has, there's only so much he can do."

if you take that as "the chiefs have NO talent," then i would suggest YOU have some issues. i never said that.
the chiefs have SOME talent.
my point is SIMPLY that a coach isnt going to make the WORST defense into the BEST defense.
in other words, if gunther got the chiefs defense to high teens in rank, that would be an achievement.
do i think he'll do just that? yes i do.

i also think that a 18th or 19th ranked defense isnt going to make an 8 year vet too frightened.

jake
If a coach can't do that than please explain the Panthers team last year. The point is, It can happen. Hell, look no further than the Dorkos going from RR to Coyer. We can easily attain that goal by being more aggressive and knocking some players on their asses. That all starts with our first victims, the Denver Broncos.

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 05:11 PM
Yea, that's why Sharpe shot his mouth off every interview for the past decade. Tell it to somebody who's buying the crap you are dishing out.

BTW, I never once said Jake was scared or feared the Chiefs, now did I? Looks like you are the one that needs to realize the difference between stating someone is concerned not fearful.

fair enough.
"concerned" in its literal sense is a word then that SHOULD describe EVERYONE with anything at stake in this game.
there's alot to win or lose, and its two teams that are expected to compete for the division.

as for sharpe, shanahan HATED the way sharpe ran his mouth off.
absolutely hated it, but shannon was a tough nut to crack.

none the less, sharpe's mouth OFF THE FIELD was dramatically reduced his las few years.
a little of that is maturity, and the rest is shanahan asking ALL his players not to spout off to the media.

NO team needs quotes to pin up in the lockeroom, and shanahan knows that. its safe to say NO ONE on the broncos will say anything that could be used as motivation. balee dat.

jake

jake meffley
09-09-2004, 05:14 PM
The reaction to this should be entertaining.

alright, ill admit he wasnt necessarily the best.
i just like him because he went to BYU. at least i admit it.

bogie
09-09-2004, 05:53 PM

jake

:thumb:

Calcountry
09-09-2004, 06:18 PM

worried? no.

jake
We don't want him to worry, just hurt.

Calcountry
09-09-2004, 06:19 PM

jake
Notice I didn't say injure, just hurt. :thumb:

Calcountry
09-09-2004, 06:21 PM
You're wrong, Gunther can do WHATEVER THE **** HE WANTS!!! :cuss:
ROFL