PDA

View Full Version : Random observations from the game.

Rain Man
09-12-2004, 10:36 PM
1. The running game was much more productive than they looked.

2. We didn't have a receiver get open all night. They should've played Dante more.

3. The 'no contact' rule should be renamed what it really is - the 'no contact unless you're draped all over Tony Gonzalez' rule.

4. Our o-line had its worse night pass-blocking in a long time.

5. I'm glad Tynes made that 50-yarder, or his confidence would've been shaken.

6. Cheek was a good pickup.

7. What kind of drugs was the Bron-cos' pickup guy on? We should've let Dante run a few back anyway.

8. I hope Bartee's okay. Maybe his loss is why Barber was covering (or not covering) Rod Smith all night. Barber didn't play bad otherwise, though.

9. Beisel made some bad screwups, but also made some good plays. He did more than I've seen out of Mitchell.

10. Fujita is a monster.

11. The d-line wasn't as bad as they were last year. At least they made some plays sometimes.

12. Richard Smith can block, even if he didn't get any reception opportunities.

13. I'm still mystified why we don't destroy that bootleg play. Just tell the DEs to run straight up the field once in a while, and they'll kill the girly-girl QB.

Overall, I saw more life out of the defense than I have in a couple of years. I guess that's a good sign, even if they did give up a ton of points again.

It stinks to lose to an inferior team.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 10:38 PM
frankly I thought we were the inferior team...poorly prepared and poorly coached

Nelson Muntz
09-12-2004, 10:41 PM
3. The 'no contact' rule should be renamed what it really is - the 'no contact unless you're draped all over Tony Gonzalez' rule.

No doubt. I about went nuts when they called him for offensive PI. The same crap happens to him play after play yet no call.

Frazod
09-12-2004, 10:42 PM
I love Dante, but he's a f#cking midget, and has no business lining up as a WR. As a returner, that's no big deal, since he doesn't have somebody who's a foot taller than him trying to break up the catch. But as a WR? No way. This is dumb and it always has been done.

We should have started the rookie.

2bikemike
09-12-2004, 10:55 PM

You know they showed a series of replays of passes thrown to Tony and I swear there was one where the guy was grabbing all over him and then the ball came in and bounced off them. Now I can understand them mugging him within 5 yards but when the ball is in the air thrown at him they gotta throw the hankie.

Pants
09-12-2004, 10:59 PM
I love Dante, but he's a f#cking midget, and has no business lining up as a WR. As a returner, that's no big deal, since he doesn't have somebody who's a foot taller than him trying to break up the catch. But as a WR? No way. This is dumb and it always has been done.

Tsk, tsk... that play when he went from the outside right to the INSIDE and got 10 yards was awesome. Anytime Dante touches a ball something crazy can happen. I disagree.

Rain Man
09-12-2004, 11:11 PM
Another random observation or two about the end of the first half.

First, I was shocked that we got another chance to try the field goal. You never see the refs go back and replay a down because of their own error. That was unprecedented and probably shouldn't have happened.

Second, when Raylee Johnson ran offside and was standing next to Trent when the ball was snapped, why didn't they blow the play dead? That was as unobstructed a path to the QB as I've ever seen. If Trent wasn't fast on his feet, he would've been killed on a play that should've never happened.

jcroft
I agree with your point about letting Dante run them out of the endzone once in a while. He's the best return man in the NFL and it's silly not to let him touch the ball. Obviously, Knorr kicked a few out of the endzone, but there was one or two he downed, and I think he may as well have run them back. Our offense is good enough to overcome starting at the 15 if he doesn't go anywhere, and he's good enough that he has a chance to make a big play on every return. Let him run.

wolfpack0735
donkies played our "o" perfect. try to stop holmes and just cover tony. untill we get at least one wr,thats the way to stop us. our wide outs dont scare anyone.i figured 5 loses this year and this was one of them. so if and "please god" our defense can improve alittle we mightbe ok.

Otter
09-12-2004, 11:18 PM

I was wondering the same thing, kind of. All pre-season all you heard about was how Richard Smith is amazing and the chemistry between him and Trent.

Well where the fluck was he tonight?

My take on the game:

1. They took Gonzo out of the game and bascillyl turned us into a 1 trick pony on offense

2. It has yet to be seen how good the broncos O really is but our D still looks pretty medicure. Yes they attack more but is that enought? I really hope thier not trying to polish a turd.

3. Trent ddin't look too good, I hope that was just a short funk he was in. He took a pretty good hit, chaulk it up to that for now.

Still too early to tell much of anything however. Losing sucks but we still have 15 more games to go.

ChiefsFanatic
09-12-2004, 11:19 PM
We didn't cover the slot hardly at all, and they had huge passes to the slot, including the bomb to Lelie.

Wellbourne is overmatched at tackle.

Sending Dante across the middle is idiotic.

I hated when Jimmy Raye kept calling plays that had pass patterns that were 5 yards, when we needed 9/10 for the first down. Wait, that wasn't Jimmy Raye.

tk13
09-13-2004, 12:03 AM
Well, in reality we probably should've lost this game something like 49-14. The defense sucked, I'm sure Gunther would tell you the defense sucked, but on the other hand if not for the defense we would've never gotten back into the game... so I guess you just throw your hands up in the air and go "WTF?"

That said, I just don't feel as hopeless about the defense as I felt under G-Rob. I don't know, my brain could just be mush at this point. But Siavii made a nice play one time, Sims had some stuffs, Monty Beisel probably wouldn't grade out great (I'd have to watch the game again honestly to know), but he did make some plays in there, the INT was probably the best play we've seen a Chiefs MLB make since who? Donnie Edwards? Simien? I think there were guys on defense who showed tons of potential tonight, but will it ever develop into a solid 60 minute performance? That's the million dollar question and I honestly don't know the answer.

It was impressive to watch the Broncos secondary, Coyer always puts the screws to Al Saunders. Just impressive... Trent sucked tonight, but other than that absolutely stupid sack he took for a loss of 375 yards a lot of the reason he struggled had to do with Denver's man coverage. I think Kris Wilson would've helped us tonight... just anybody that's another legitimate weapon out there.

To be honest, I didn't see a lick of difference with Tony G. and the supposed "illegal contact" enforcement. I had realized just how badly he'd been mugged until they showed that sequence of clips of Denver defenders trying to hump his leg. That honestly doesn't surprise me I guess.

The only real bright spot tonight was the drunk idiot kickers. Cheek hit some bombs... and Tynes has at least the potential to drill a 55+ yarder, maybe it'll come in handy down the road.

Well that, and Priest. I'm one of the few who think Larry Johnson can be a decent back for us one day, but I'll tell you what, one day we are going to look back and miss the heck outta Priest... we may never have a running back this good wearing Red and Gold... ever again.

PastorMikH
09-13-2004, 12:05 AM
Wow! I finally got to post! (I've beein trying for the last 20 minutes but this place is as slow as ever)

1. PLEASE leave Pastor alone while the game is on!!!! Obviously there is training to be done here concerning this - on a side note, I did consent to going to the Mazzios after church to eat partly because we had nothing in the house easy to fix and partly because they did have a big TV there. I walked in, walked over to the TV and changed the channel from cartoons to the game and one of the church members asked me if the management of the place was OK with me changing the channel - I told him I didn't care and if the manager wanted me as a customer he'll let me change the channel. He laughed pretty good at what he thought was me joking.

On the parts of the game that I saw...

1. The D has a LONG way to go. I liked the aggressiveness, but they've got to use their heads too. Like was mentioned already on slot. I'll ad that EVERY time I saw Denver run that bootleg and Plummer would go the opposite direction, the D broke down. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!!:banghead: I thought for sure after watching them break down in the first half they would make adjustments but they didn't.

2. I thought we were supposed to have worked on tackling this summer. If we can't tackle Plumber, how are we going to tackle a little crisco-coated RB?

3. I would have liked to see Stills in there. Plumber kept flushing and the bigger DL weren't able to catch him. I can't help but think Still's speed would have helped a bit with this.

4. Tait may not be worth what he's getting paid by Chicago now, but Welborn appeared to be no where near the player Tait is.

5. And, someone want to explain to me why, when we have the ball with 2:08 on the clock on our 20, 1 time out, and a 10 point deficit, why do we run a draw up the middle to Priest??? Then we come back with the long bombs down the field? What happened to trying to run an efficient 2 min offense? I have NO PROBLEM getting the ball to Priest but let it be something that is actually going to move the ball downfield.

6. Tynes did well - he didn't miss that 2nd 58 yard attempt by much. And I was impressed with Cheek

7. I also, much to my suprised, suprised with Biesel's play. He's got a long way to go and he messed up a lot, but from what I saw, getting his first real shot at MLB he wasn't awful like I was afraid he would be. And if he keeps improving, Mitchel may be backing him up instead of the other way around.

Oh and, it was amazing how many flags have been thrown in the games thus far in pre-season and in week 1 for contact downfield. I find it also amazing how there didn't seem to be very many thrown tonight (I didn't see ANY thrown but like I said I haven't watched the entire game yet and am leaving some room here for a couple I may have missed). Tony was mauled, Priest got tackled before the ball could even get to him there late in the game on the screen from Trent but I guess all were good plays by the D.:rolleyes:

I garauntee if Dante had returned a kick for a TD they'd have found a hold someplace.

the Talking Can
09-13-2004, 12:10 AM
when will our defense ever exhibit signs of "learning"?

how many times can someone run the exact same play, game after game, year after year, before a ****ing light bulb goes off in your thick ****ing skull??

"Duuuhh, hey they run the same play a lot, derrhhh....duuuhhh"

if I kicked you in the balls every hour of every day repeatedly for 6 years wouldn't you eventually move out the ****ing way or at least shoot me in my ****ing face???

TEX
09-13-2004, 12:21 AM
donkies played our "o" perfect. try to stop holmes and just cover tony. untill we get at least one wr,thats the way to stop us. our wide outs dont scare anyone.i figured 5 loses this year and this was one of them. so if and "please god" our defense can improve alittle we mightbe ok.

Pretty much sums things up... :shake:

mightyphoenix1
09-13-2004, 01:09 AM

how many times can someone run the exact same play, game after game, year after year, before a ****ing light bulb goes off in your thick ****ing skull??

if I kicked you in the balls every hour of every day repeatedly for 6 years wouldn't you eventually move out the ****ing way or at least shoot me in my ****ing face???

I got tears in my eyes reading that one.

BigMeatballDave
09-13-2004, 01:12 AM

ROFL OMG! My sides hurt! :clap: ROFL

htismaqe
09-13-2004, 05:10 AM
Bartee's injury had nothing to do with Barber covering the slot WR. Gunther started that very early in the game, prior to Bartee's injury.

Gaz
09-13-2004, 05:41 AM
Congratulations to the Broncos. They outplayed the Chiefs in every phase of the game. If not for [3] Denver miscues and a blatantly awful “down by contact call,” the score could have been 41-14. The game was nowhere near as close as the score implies. Sincere kudos [albeit delivered through clenched teeth].

PROBLEMS THAT MUST BE SOLVED:
1. Tackling
2. Over-pursuit
3. QB crushage [lack thereof]
4. Passing game [lack thereof]

The Defense was somewhat better, but the Offense was considerably worse. It is way too early in the season for panic [despite the standard ChiefsPlanet feeding frenzy], but Al & Dick must get the O back on track and they must do so with some alacrity. I expected our D to be teeing off and I also expected teams to take avantage of that situation. However, it is inexcusable that we allowed Denver to run the bootleg over and over and over again.

The Chiefs Offense must get some production from the WRs or every team will do exactly what Denver did: smother Gonzalez and stack the line to stop Holmes. We can take some solace in the fact that Denver failed to stop Holmes, but that is the only real positive we can take from this game.

The Chiefs Defense must learn to tackle. There are other problems, of course, but none of them can be solved when we cannot wrap a man up and take him down.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sees room for improvement.

htismaqe
09-13-2004, 05:51 AM
Congratulations to the Broncos. They outplayed the Chiefs in every phase of the game. If not for [3] Denver miscues and a blatantly awful “down by contact call,” the score could have been 41-14. The game was nowhere near as close as the score implies. Sincere kudos [albeit delivered through clenched teeth].

PROBLEMS THAT MUST BE SOLVED:
1. Tackling
2. Over-pursuit
3. QB crushage [lack thereof]
4. Passing game [lack thereof]

The Defense was somewhat better, but the Offense was considerably worse. It is way too early in the season for panic [despite the standard ChiefsPlanet feeding frenzy], but Al & Dick must get the O back on track and they must do so with some alacrity. I expected our D to be teeing off and I also expected teams to take avantage of that situation. However, it is inexcusable that we allowed Denver to run the bootleg over and over and over again.

The Chiefs Offense must get some production from the WRs or every team will do exactly what Denver did: smother Gonzalez and stack the line to stop Holmes. We can take some solace in the fact that Denver failed to stop Holmes, but that is the only real positive we can take from this game.

The Chiefs Defense must learn to tackle. There are other problems, of course, but none of them can be solved when we cannot wrap a man up and take him down.

xoxo~
Gaz
Sees room for improvement.

Good post.