PDA

View Full Version : Where was Richard Smith

OldTownChief
09-12-2004, 11:48 PM
This may have been ask but I'm to tired to look. Seems to me with his speed he may have beem able to get open more often than Mort and Kenn.

the Talking Can
09-12-2004, 11:51 PM
hanging out at Brian Shay's house watching the game?

elvomito
we're loyal to our starters i guess. its been said he came in and blocked a little bit but thats all

TEX
Smith was exactly where he should have been, he's a ROOKIE... :hmmm:

elvomito
09-12-2004, 11:53 PM
quentin griffen is a rookie too.

put smith in

TEX
09-12-2004, 11:56 PM

put smith in

I think you're a ROOKIE too if you believe that. See what kind of MISTAKES rookies like you make? :hmmm:

Rain Man
09-12-2004, 11:57 PM

Congrats on the win today, Marty.

elvomito
09-13-2004, 12:01 AM
I think you're a ROOKIE too if you believe that. See what kind of MISTAKES rookies like you make? :hmmm:

you're right.
maybe i am
need more playing time

TEX
09-13-2004, 12:09 AM
you're right.
maybe i am
need more playing time

No big deal, at least you're seeing playing time... ;)

Logical
09-13-2004, 12:20 AM
Well several rookies around the league did make good contributions. So given how horrible our wideout play was, how badly could it have hurt us really?

2bikemike
09-13-2004, 01:18 AM
Well several rookies around the league did make good contributions. So given how horrible our wideout play was, how badly could it have hurt us really?

I was thinking they ought to give the guy a couple shots. Hell I would have tried anything to get the WR's involved.

go bo
09-13-2004, 01:23 AM
Well several rookies around the league did make good contributions. So given how horrible our wideout play was, how badly could it have hurt us really?it might have slowed our running game (i don't think the kids can block as well as the starters), but it sure couldn't hurt our anemic passing game... :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

Deberg_1990
09-13-2004, 05:23 AM

Yea, and Anton Boldin for the Cardinals was a rookie last year as well....so what? I want to see Smith play.

OldTownChief
09-13-2004, 05:55 AM

:shake: What a stupid response.

BigRedChief
09-13-2004, 07:46 AM

I'm going to pile on here also......What did the other recievers do? Let's see what the rookie can do. You see channel 12's pre game show where Trent talked up Smith. Said he was a NCAA triple jump champion. Talked about jumping onto a table that was 45 inches or so from a standing position. Give him a chance.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-13-2004, 07:48 AM
Well there's the weakest arguement I've ever heard. I don't care if he's a rookie in a wheelchair, he couldn't make our passing attack any worse.

morphius
09-13-2004, 07:49 AM
Smith was out there on a few plays, but with the TV angles you could never tell what happened to him after the line of scrimmage.

Chiefnj
09-13-2004, 07:52 AM
Smith was out there on a few plays, but with the TV angles you could never tell what happened to him after the line of scrimmage.

On one play I saw him get jammed and unable to get off the LOS. On another play I think he was completely confused where to line up and Green had to grab him to direct him.

FringeNC
09-13-2004, 08:13 AM

Yes. It was sad. How can you go a whole game and never have an open WR?

morphius
09-13-2004, 08:33 AM
On one play I saw him get jammed and unable to get off the LOS. On another play I think he was completely confused where to line up and Green had to grab him to direct him.
Yup, pretty invisible when he was. Its seems nobody else anywhere, even the Radio guys, didn't notice him out there and are wondering why he wasn't put on the field...

cmh6476
09-13-2004, 05:33 PM
I was going to post this exact same thing. Except, I would have titled it "Where the fock was Richard Smith?"

We've got to do something, Kennison, Hall and Morton aren't gonna cut it for our starting receivers. We will get nowhere. Either go after McCardell, or let Smith and Parker and Horn come in and at leats try and contribute.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

NaptownChief
09-13-2004, 05:41 PM
This may have been ask but I'm to tired to look. Seems to me with his speed he may have beem able to get open more often than Mort and Kenn.

We couldn't afford risking the loss of Morton's 0-3 catches per game. DV was afraid this might be the one game of the year that Morton trips and finds the endzone...Smith's upside just isn't worth the risk of losing out one of those rare Morton nuggets.

R&GHomer
09-13-2004, 06:20 PM
We couldn't afford risking the loss of Morton's 0-3 catches per game. DV was afraid this might be the one game of the year that Morton trips and finds the endzone...Smith's upside just isn't worth the risk of losing out one of those rare Morton nuggets.

Maybe DV is a closet fan of the worm.... and he just hopes Morton could get another TD. :shrug:

jiveturkey
09-13-2004, 06:36 PM
I was going to post this exact same thing. Except, I would have titled it "Where the fock was Richard Smith?"

We've got to do something, Kennison, Hall and Morton aren't gonna cut it for our starting receivers. We will get nowhere. Either go after McCardell, or let Smith and Parker and Horn come in and at leats try and contribute.

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:Kennison had over 100 yards last night. Morton looked like a guy that missed all of training camp and Hall couldn't get open.

Smith, Horn and Parker would not have been able to get off the line last night.

The recievers had a bad game but a bunch of rookies wouldn't have done any better.

NaptownChief
09-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Smith, Horn and Parker would not have been able to get off the line last night.

The recievers had a bad game but a bunch of rookies wouldn't have done any better.

Who the hell knows unless you play them?

Nobody had a clue Priest Holmes was going to become Priest Holmes...It took actually playing him to find out. Chirst DV wasn't sure if Holmes or Richardson was going to be the starting feature back until Holmes got on the field and took over in that Washington game after Richardson got hurt....When the guys in place aren't doing anything at all you have zero down side in giving others an opportunity to find out what the hell you have.

jiveturkey
09-13-2004, 06:43 PM
Who the hell knows unless you play them?

Nobody had a clue Priest Holmes was going to become Priest Holmes...It took actually playing him to find out. Chirst DV wasn't sure if Holmes or Richardson was going to be the starting feature back until Holmes got on the field and took over in that Washington game after Richardson got hurt....When the guys in place aren't doing anything at all you have zero down side in giving others an opportunity to find out what the hell you have.Good point.

I bet that we see some Smith next week at home. I heard that Parker is still a few weeks away and who knows if Horn will get called up from the PS.

I think that we missed Boe and Wilson last night.

NaptownChief
09-13-2004, 06:49 PM
Good point.

I bet that we see some Smith next week at home. I heard that Parker is still a few weeks away and who knows if Horn will get called up from the PS.

I think that we missed Boe and Wilson last night.

Smith definitely appears to have the most upside from what he showed in the preseason...Boe was a big loss, while we didn't throw to him much last year he was still a guy that had to be respected.

We really need Smith and possible Parker to step up or else we are in trouble on offense. Everyone will copy that Denver blue print of constant double on Gonzo and spy on Priest out of the backfield...If you do that Green has nothing to throw to cause Morton can't get separation on anyone and Kennison can't run routes.

cmh6476
09-13-2004, 06:51 PM
The loss of Kris Wilson definitely hurt :(

NaptownChief
09-13-2004, 06:55 PM
The loss of Kris Wilson definitely hurt :(

Absolutely....They were looking to him a bit in preseason..He could have turned into a good weapon. It is neither here nor there now but Kris Wilson should have been Kerry Colbert. We needed WR help far more than a backup TE/H-Back.

whoman69
09-13-2004, 07:36 PM
Morton and Kennison were obviously hurt by their lack of camp. At least in this game we should have gone with Smith who was there in camp getting ready for the season. None of our receivers could get any space. On the interception Bailey was covering two guys and neither were open.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Smith definitely appears to have the most upside from what he showed in the preseason...Boe was a big loss, while we didn't throw to him much last year he was still a guy that had to be respected.

We really need Smith and possible Parker to step up or else we are in trouble on offense. Everyone will copy that Denver blue print of constant double on Gonzo and spy on Priest out of the backfield...If you do that Green has nothing to throw to cause Morton can't get separation on anyone and Kennison can't run routes.

Not exactly 100% right here. Not everyone has the players Denver has. Carolina's defensive backfield is decent but nothing special next week.

NaptownChief
09-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Morton and Kennison were obviously hurt by their lack of camp. At least in this game we should have gone with Smith who was there in camp getting ready for the season. None of our receivers could get any space. On the interception Bailey was covering two guys and neither were open.

That sounds good but in reality it looked exactly like what they have done for the past two years...Kennison occassionally slips by someone with his straight ahead speed for a long catch ala Willie Gault, otherwise does little and Morton struggles to do anything at all.

I wish we could blame the lack of camp on this but it was a carbon copy of the past couple years.

NaptownChief
09-13-2004, 07:42 PM
Not exactly 100% right here. Not everyone has the players Denver has. Carolina's defensive backfield is decent but nothing special next week.

Yeah but they have a better front seven that will put pressure on even quicker allowing them even less time to not get their separation.

whoman69
09-13-2004, 08:22 PM
That sounds good but in reality it looked exactly like what they have done for the past two years...Kennison occassionally slips by someone with his straight ahead speed for a long catch ala Willie Gault, otherwise does little and Morton struggles to do anything at all.

I wish we could blame the lack of camp on this but it was a carbon copy of the past couple years.
You overstate. They have had trouble and that's why Priest leads the team in catches. But Kennison and Morton topped 50 receptions last year so they were able to get open. Last night they were not open at all. Morton made some outstanding catches in traffic, but that was because he was not in game shape and could not get open enough to not have to make that great catch.

NaptownChief
09-13-2004, 08:31 PM
You overstate. They have had trouble and that's why Priest leads the team in catches. But Kennison and Morton topped 50 receptions last year so they were able to get open. Last night they were not open at all. Morton made some outstanding catches in traffic, but that was because he was not in game shape and could not get open enough to not have to make that great catch.

50 catches isn't much on a top offense that keeps drives moving and thus creating many more snaps and opportunities....50 catches on a team that has a poor offense going 3 and out regularly isn't bad but not much on a top offense.

milkman
09-13-2004, 08:49 PM

That play really pissed me off.
Green was in trouble, running for his life, and Kennison is just standing at the sideline pointing.
WTF was that.

MOOOVE MFer, give Green someone to throw to.

You just made Bailey's job a lot easier, you dumbass.

Mr. Laz
09-13-2004, 08:56 PM

put smith in

Griffin is not a rookie... its his 2nd year. The donks drafted Quentin Griffin in the 4th round the same year we spent a 1st rounder on Larry Johnson. IIRC

I'm going to pile on here also......What did the other recievers do?

Receiving Stats
Player _______ No Yds Avg Lg TD
Eddie Kennison 06 101 16.8 57 00
Johnnie Morton 03 30 10.0 16 00
Dante Hall ____ 02 17 8.5 11 00
Tony Gonzalez_ 02 17 8.5 14 00
Derrick Blaylock 01 11 11.0 11 00
Priest Holmes__ 02 -2 -1.0 04 00

elvomito
09-13-2004, 11:49 PM
Griffin is not a rookie... its his 2nd year. The donks drafted Quentin Griffin in the 4th round the same year we spent a 1st rounder on Larry Johnson. IIRC

glad i'm not the only one who was mistaken

VERMEIL: “No, we knew about him. He’s quick, can bounce around, is fast. Once he gets accelerating he can make you miss. He got 152 yards, so I’d say that’s a good day’s work for a rookie.”

Hammock Parties
09-14-2004, 12:09 AM

Kennison had 6 grabs for 101 yards. We lost the game because they covered Tony G and Morton/Hall could not take advantage of single coverage. That and Trent Green sucking like he was TrINT.

elvomito
09-14-2004, 12:39 AM
24 points should be enough to win a game.