PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock: Defense still can't get it done

Coach
09-13-2004, 12:13 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/9648751.htm

COMMENTARY

Defense still can't get it done

JASON WHITLOCK

DENVER — We've seen this before.

Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil calling on his defense late in the game to make one last stop so Priest Holmes and KC's high-powered offense can take the field and win the game.

Sunday night, with the Chiefs battling their AFC West rival Denver in the season opener, Vermeil punted the ball away trailing by three points while facing fourth and a long 2 at the Denver 46 with 9 minutes, 31 seconds to play.

It was a no-brainer decision. The Chiefs ran off their old defensive coordinator, Greg Robinson, and hired Gunther Cunningham exactly for this situation. Gunther was rehired because he's supposed to be an expert at getting one last stop.

New punter Steve Cheek executed perfectly, booting the ball high, which forced Rod Smith to fair catch at the Denver 13. It was time for Cunningham to earn his money, and time for the defensive players who complained privately and publicly about Robinson to prove it was the defensive system that made KC's 2003 defense a leaguewide laughingstock.

Wait 'til next time. The Broncos marched 87 yards in 13 plays, chewed up 7:10 and salted away a 34-24 victory at Invesco Field with a game-deciding, 2-yard Jake Plummer-to-Patrick Hape touchdown pass.

On “The Drive,” Plummer, running backs Quentin Griffin and Tatum Bell grounded out 67 yards. The Chiefs never figured out Griffin, who dipped and scooted for 156 yards and two touchdowns in 23 carries. The Chiefs never figured out Plummer on the bootleg. Denver's error-prone QB ran for 33 yards and passed for 230 and two touchdowns.

Despite several critical mistakes by the Broncos, including two boneheaded interceptions by Plummer and a Griffin fumble at the goal line, the Chiefs' defense surrendered 24 first downs, 413 yards and 34 points.

We've seen this before.

We've seen the Chiefs' defense stare opportunity in the face and blow it. We've seen Dick Vermeil place faith in his defense only to be let down time and time again.

The Chiefs' defense, so afraid of Denver's stretch running game, couldn't clamp down on Plummer's bootlegs. The boots opened up passing lanes for Plummer and slowed Kansas City's non-existent pass rush. The Chiefs' front four either was fooled or stoned at the line of scrimmage all evening.

Defensive end Vonnie Holliday recorded a fluke sack. The Broncos line botched a blocking assignment, giving Holliday a free run at the quarterback. Rookie defensive tackle Junior Siavii made the only impressive play along KC's defensive front. He blew up a blocker and rolled over Plummer. Other than that, Kansas City's D linemen looked no different than they did flopping around under Robinson's direction.

It would be unfair to pin this loss totally on Kansas City's defense. The Chiefs' offense, other than running back Priest Holmes (151 yards and three TDs) and interior linemen Will Shields, Brian Waters and Casey Wiegmann, played poorly.

Plummer's third-quarter interceptions gave the Chiefs 10 points. An officiating error — ruling receiver Eddie Kennison down by contact on an obvious fumble — kept the Chiefs' lone first-half scoring drive alive.

Tackles John Welbourn and Willie Roaf were both whistled for multiple penalties. Welbourn had problems with pass protection. Welbourn's difficulties contributed to quarterback Trent Green's poor play (16 of 32, 174 yards and one interception). Kansas City's receivers also hurt Green. The receivers dropped too many passes.

Penalties and unforced mistakes stopped Kansas City's offense from developing a rhythm. Plus, the addition of Champ Bailey to Denver's secondary bothered the Chiefs. Bailey (one INT) and Denver's secondary performed marvelously against KC's suspect receiving corps. Kansas City's receivers, including all-world tight end Tony Gonzalez, rarely got any real separation.

There's reason to believe the offense will rebound. The defense is a different story — the same old one.

the Talking Can
09-13-2004, 12:16 AM
geez....he went easy on them...I expected much more ridicule

Logical
09-13-2004, 12:33 AM
geez....he went easy on them...I expected much more ridicule
I agree this is suprisingly tame and nice given how awful the game was tonight.

Ugly Duck
09-13-2004, 12:49 AM
The Chiefs' front four either was fooled or stoned at the line of scrimmage all evening.I call it the KC "Black Knight" defense. Gunther's boyz may not be too effective, but they keep right on fighting anyway.

Logical
09-13-2004, 12:51 AM
I call it the KC "Black Knight" defense. Gunther's boyz may not be too effective, but they keep right on fighting anyway.

You know I may just adopt that.

The "Monty Python Black Knight Defense" fails again.

Pants
09-13-2004, 12:56 AM
Why is the Ugly Duckling talking shit? Faiders lost to the freaking Steelers. And while our defense was ranked among the worst last year, I do believe we finished a little bit better than the Faiders. But go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.

I'd rather take the "Black Knight Defense" and 13-3 then a Faider defense and 4-12.

Hel'n
09-13-2004, 01:22 AM
I agree this is suprisingly tame and nice given how awful the game was tonight.

Yes, it was awful to watch. I'm glad my computer was upstairs and the game was downstairs... I was so frustrated I was flipping channels...

Ugly Duck
09-13-2004, 01:31 AM
our defense was ranked among the worst last year...go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.Oakland was the worst against the run last year. KC was second-worst. So far this season, you're still second-worst and Oakland is in the top ten. 'S O.K., metro. There's still plenty of time to reverse the situation. Which is why I take this opportunity to rub it in a bit.

Pants
09-13-2004, 01:36 AM
K, sorry, good point.

go bo
09-13-2004, 01:39 AM
Oakland was the worst against the run last year. KC was second-worst. So far this season, you're still second-worst and Oakland is in the top ten. 'S O.K., metro. There's still plenty of time to reverse the situation. Which is why I take this opportunity to rub it in a bit.ouch...

but from what i saw of the game, the fader d did look a lot better than ours, at least part of the time...

(that was the steelers and not philly, wasn't it? at least they're both in pa... :banghead: )