PDA

View Full Version : My turn to whine and rant

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-13-2004, 07:44 AM
I know we probably need another of these threads like we need another hole in the defense but I need to get it off my chest so I can move on.

Other than Kennison's first catch of the game (and the luck of a bad call going our way) we have no passing game at all where the recievers are concerned. I cannot believe a Dick Vermeil coached team is so inept at throwing the ball downfield. The donks proved Tony Gonzalez can be contained and when he is, all we have is Priest...and as great as he is we're not gonna sniff the playoffs with such a one-dimensional offense. Where in the flying FVCK was Richard Smith btw!? Did he even get on the field?

Our defense is still swiss cheese...just an over-instead-of-under aggresive swiss cheese. I know we'll probably get better as the year goes on. We certainly better. As much as we Chiefs fans don't want to admit it Jake Plummer owned our defense just as much as Griffen. The only thing that stopped Plummer was his own occassional stupidity. I could have seen the bootleg coming and done as good covering it as our d did. But at least we were repeatedly burned by it so we got plenty of practice against it. Maybe one day we'll actually contain it. The donks were all but a sure thing on third down conversions too...and the longer the better. If it was 1st and 10 we might have a chance to make a play. If it was 3rd and 15, a donk first down was as good as money in the bank.

Lawrence Tynes is gonna be a stud, no thanks to the hit to his confidence from DV sending him out to kick a 5,000 yard field goal in enemy territory when the team had no momentum at all. But at least he got the chance to miss it twice so I'm sure that helped him feel better.

I continue to doubt Dick Vermiels ability to coach a football team anymore.

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 07:51 AM
....I continue to doubt Dick Vermiels ability to coach a football team anymore.

A road loss at Denver, to that team....is no disgrace.

The way we played, IS cause for concern; but DV is still the man who got us to this point....after Martyball, and the pathetic offenses of the late 1990s, I'll still take this....and DV.

LVNHACK
09-13-2004, 07:51 AM
My turn to whine and rant

Some of us think you've been doing that since you showed up................ :p

oldandslow
09-13-2004, 07:54 AM
Good rant. Let me add mine.

I just do not understand how you can be 6 mil under the cap and run those receivers out there. Dante Hall is probably the best of the bunch, but if they keep sending him across the middle, we are not going to have a a Kick off/punt returner very much longer.

Morton and Kennison were never open (except the early breakdown in coverage on EK), even tho Champ Bailey keyed on our TE. That is just not acceptable.

I have no words to describe our defense. When we punted in the 4rth with 9:00 minutes left I just knew it was over. It was like Indy all over again.

If someone had told me that Priest would have 150 yds, 3 tds, and that Plummer would throw 2 picks at our end of the field, I would have bet the farm that we would win.

Damn, if the Broncs had anybody under center besides stupid, they would have scored 50 pts.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-13-2004, 07:54 AM
A road loss at Denver, to that team....is no disgrace.

The way we played, IS cause for concern; but DV is still the man who got us to this point....after Martyball, and the pathetic offenses of the late 1990s, I'll still take this....and DV.
I agree a road loss in Denver is nothing to be ashamed of. The ineptitude of our passing game is. Trent's ability is wasted on these recievers.

KCTitus
09-13-2004, 08:10 AM
Ok, here's my rant:

Maybe it was just me, but did anyone get tired of the breakdown and analysis of the Champ/Portis trade? Pregame talk, ok....first quarter...maybe...well into the 4th quarter. I'd say it got really old.

ChiTown
09-13-2004, 08:14 AM
Ok, here's my rant:

Maybe it was just me, but did anyone get tired of the breakdown and analysis of the Champ/Portis trade? Pregame talk, ok....first quarter...maybe...well into the 4th quarter. I'd say it got really old.

Well, since the game itself wasn't very exciting, they were forced to fill time.... :rolleyes:

It was over, over, overkilll.

Matt Helm
09-13-2004, 08:14 AM
My turn to whine and rant

Some of us think you've been doing that since you showed up................ :p

I think you just put beer me in his place, somewhere out back in the dumpster!!

WarCry!
09-13-2004, 08:21 AM
I could rant quite a bit about last night's game - from the play calling/coaching, to the execution to the announcers kissing Champ Bailey's ass all night long - but I'm tired and it will do me no good other than to upset me. I'll simply say that I'm disappointed. I'm not disappointed that we lost. I'm saddened by the way we lost. Our defense is no where near improved and the homer glasses I've been wearing all off-season thinking that Gun could save the day have been taken off and stored in a drawer.... Even when they seem to be playing well, there will always be a deep down sick feeling that the real D will show up at a crucial moment - like they did last night.

I'll remain optimistic every week, but it's going to be a long season with this defense.... :(

shaneo69
09-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Ok, here's my rant:

I was hoping they'd show the highlight of Champ's INT a couple more times. I only saw it about 8 times but there may have been more greatness in that play that I missed only seeing it 8 times.

Chiefnj
09-13-2004, 08:42 AM
Ok, here's my rant:

Tired of it? Yep. But, the Chiefs enabled the comparison to be made by allowing him to run free like Portis has the last few years.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-13-2004, 08:46 AM
I think you just put beer me in his place, somewhere out back in the dumpster!!
Jesus, get over yourself.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-13-2004, 08:48 AM
I was hoping they'd show the highlight of Champ's INT a couple more times. I only saw it about 8 times but there may have been more greatness in that play that I missed only seeing it 8 times.
Didn't you hear...?...Champ Baily has replaced Jesus Christ as our lord and savior.

KCTitus
09-13-2004, 08:56 AM
Tired of it? Yep. But, the Chiefs enabled the comparison to be made by allowing him to run free like Portis has the last few years.

Yes, I did see the one graphic you were referring to...as I am assuming you're speaking of the Griffin/Portis comparison. A legitimate stat in the 3rd quarter and topic of discussion.

Actually, my reference was to the Champ Bailey all the time. The 'iso' cam on him coming into the offense on 3rd downs, the 'wired' replays where we got to hear him grunting...this was especially riveting...and then the incessant replays of his last tackle, pass defense or whatever he might have done only to be broken up with shots of him sitting on the bench on the sidelines having a drink everytime the broadcast came out of commercial.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-13-2004, 09:05 AM
Yes, I did see the one graphic you were referring to...as I am assuming you're speaking of the Griffin/Portis comparison. A legitimate stat in the 3rd quarter and topic of discussion.

Actually, my reference was to the Champ Bailey all the time. The 'iso' cam on him coming into the offense on 3rd downs, the 'wired' replays where we got to hear him grunting...this was especially riveting...and then the incessant replays of his last tackle, pass defense or whatever he might have done only to be broken up with shots of him sitting on the bench on the sidelines having a drink everytime the broadcast came out of commercial.
Yea...I thought it was hilarious that they mic'd him to get some great audio and all he ever did was grunt and go WOOOO! Great stuff espn....truely brilliant...not.

:rolleyes:

ROFL

Calcountry
09-13-2004, 10:56 AM
I know we probably need another of these threads like we need another hole in the defense but I need to get it off my chest so I can move on.

Other than Kennison's first catch of the game (and the luck of a bad call going our way) we have no passing game at all where the recievers are concerned. I cannot believe a Dick Vermeil coached team is so inept at throwing the ball downfield. The donks proved Tony Gonzalez can be contained and when he is, all we have is Priest...and as great as he is we're not gonna sniff the playoffs with such a one-dimensional offense. Where in the flying FVCK was Richard Smith btw!? Did he even get on the field?

Our defense is still swiss cheese...just an over-instead-of-under aggresive swiss cheese. I know we'll probably get better as the year goes on. We certainly better. As much as we Chiefs fans don't want to admit it Jake Plummer owned our defense just as much as Griffen. The only thing that stopped Plummer was his own occassional stupidity. I could have seen the bootleg coming and done as good covering it as our d did. But at least we were repeatedly burned by it so we got plenty of practice against it. Maybe one day we'll actually contain it. The donks were all but a sure thing on third down conversions too...and the longer the better. If it was 1st and 10 we might have a chance to make a play. If it was 3rd and 15, a donk first down was as good as money in the bank.

Lawrence Tynes is gonna be a stud, no thanks to the hit to his confidence from DV sending him out to kick a 5,000 yard field goal in enemy territory when the team had no momentum at all. But at least he got the chance to miss it twice so I'm sure that helped him feel better.

I continue to doubt Dick Vermiels ability to coach a football team anymore.
I am glad it was only a rant, becuase if it weren't then your analysis would suck. I saw a confidence boost to Tynes by V having the confidence to send him out there to try a fuggin 58 yarder. If I were the kicker I would be thinking, shit, I really made this fuggin team. They think I can kick some putting me out here for this. Damn, I can't let them down. You know what, he had the distance on the 58 yarder. He nails a "short" 50 yarder later on.

One bright spot in the game, is that we are in business when we get over the 40 yard line from now on.

I saw flashes on the D, like when we Blitzed Plumber when he was in his own endzone. I saw the D more square at the line making a lot more sticks on the run than last year. Granted they still gave up too many big plays, but they WERE more aggressive in this game than last year.

On the O, I was very dissapointed in some decisions made by Green, but perhaps you can just chalk that up to a great performance by the Denvers Secondary. Game ball to the Denver D in this one, that was the difference.

Coach
09-13-2004, 10:59 AM
We are a team that has its cap dollars dedicated towards offense. We have no big names like Gonzalez or Holmes on the defensive side of the ball. We only converted 4 of 13 third downs for an abysmal 31%. Green was 16 of 32 for a 50% completion rate. Our best defense is our offense. We clearly were not on in our passing game last night. Did Holmes have a great game or did the Donks concede the run and smother the receivers? Is the Donks pass defense so good or did the guys in stripes let them get away with interference? When the defense forced turnovers, we only got 10 points off of them. Dont blame the defesne for this one. Our offense failed on third down and kept them on the field.

Here is a little tidbit to think over.

Our offense was only 4 for 13 for 3rd down conversions but their offense was only 5 for 12.

Our average per rush was 6.0 theirs was 5.8, does that make the KC run defense better than the Denver run defense?

Bearcat
09-13-2004, 11:05 AM
I have no words to describe our defense. When we punted in the 4rth with 9:00 minutes left I just knew it was over. It was like Indy all over again.

That's what it comes down to for me... as much as I understand that it's the first game of the season, the Patriots lost badly in their opener last year, blah blah blah... I had absolutely no faith that our defense could make the stop when it really counted (even though I had some faith that Plummer could screw it up), and that really sucked.

Calcountry
09-13-2004, 11:06 AM
We are a team that has its cap dollars dedicated towards offense. We have no big names like Gonzalez or Holmes on the defensive side of the ball. We only converted 4 of 13 third downs for an abysmal 31%. Green was 16 of 32 for a 50% completion rate. Our best defense is our offense. We clearly were not on in our passing game last night. Did Holmes have a great game or did the Donks concede the run and smother the receivers? Is the Donks pass defense so good or did the guys in stripes let them get away with interference? When the defense forced turnovers, we only got 10 points off of them. Dont blame the defesne for this one. Our offense failed on third down and kept them on the field.

Here is a little tidbit to think over.

Our offense was only 4 for 13 for 3rd down conversions but their offense was only 5 for 12.

Our average per rush was 6.0 theirs was 5.8, does that make the KC run defense better than the Denver run defense?

If our best D is our O, then why didn't they go for it on 4rth and 2 with 9 to go?

Coach
09-13-2004, 11:08 AM
If our best D is our O, then why didn't they go for it on 4rth and 2 with 9 to go?

Don't ask me. I'm not the one getting paid millions of dollars to make that decision. DV should answer that.

Personally, I would had gone for it. Thumbs down.

Calcountry
09-13-2004, 11:49 AM
Don't ask me. I'm not the one getting paid millions of dollars to make that decision. DV should answer that.

Personally, I would had gone for it. Thumbs down.
Just like in the playoffs, we should have onside kicked.

Was it just me, or did anyone notice that we didn't force them to punt until late 2nd or 3rd Qtr? I thought that the broadcasting crew would be sure to point out, "The Chiefs have now went 6 consecutive Qtrs without forcing a punt. Alas, we finally forced on.

Matt Helm
09-13-2004, 01:11 PM
Jesus, get over yourself.

Yo' funny bone is broken, and quit calling me Jesus.

Matt Helm
09-13-2004, 01:13 PM
What's the chances that the Chiefs were just not on?

Never say die!!!

HC_Chief
09-13-2004, 01:13 PM
Okay, I'm officially starting the "Replace Holliday with Browning, Siavii to starting DT and Fox in place of 'bite on any/all playfakes' Barber" bandwagon right now.

ALL ABOARD! :grr:

Matt Helm
09-13-2004, 01:14 PM
Okay, I'm officially starting the "Replace Holliday with Browning, Siavii to starting DT and Fox in place of 'bite on any/all playfakes' Barber" bandwagon right now.

ALL ABOARD! :grr:

What about Allen?

HC_Chief
09-13-2004, 01:14 PM
What about Allen?

He comes in on 3rd down

philfree
09-13-2004, 01:21 PM

Fox wasn't even suited up. I'm assuming it was due to injury. :banghead: I think I'm still in shock that two vets like Holliday and Barber can be made to look so bad. :shake: I've gotta hand on the Wagon and foot on the running board.

PhilFree :arrow:

Matt Helm
09-13-2004, 01:24 PM
He comes in on 3rd down

Every 3 downs or every 3rd down?

All kidding aside, I'd bet he will be a starter by years end.

HC_Chief
09-13-2004, 01:25 PM

All kidding aside, I'd bet he will be a starter by years end.

Passing downs, for sure. Holliday would be part of the rotation, but Browning gets the starts.

go bo
09-13-2004, 01:32 PM

ALL ABOARD! :grr:while i wouldn't shed any tears over holliday being benched, i'm not sure jr. is ready to be a starter...

he had one outstanding play, but he is still very raw...

now this is not to say that jr. won't take on a much larger role as the season progresses (and he gets more coaching and reps in practice and some more game experience)...

i'm totally rooting for the guy... :thumb:

go bo
09-13-2004, 01:34 PM

All kidding aside, I'd bet he will be a starter by years end.maybe next year after he bulks up some...

allen's not much bigger than truluck was, is he?

HC_Chief
09-13-2004, 01:39 PM
Difference is Allen is strong and knows how to use leverage. Truluck was 100% speed. If you stood him up, he was neutralized.

I'd put Siavii in on every play. "Junior, your job is to shoot the gap between the OC and OG. Take the shortest route possible and knock the *$&% out of the RB or QB... whichever one gets in your way first"