PDA

View Full Version : My rant (or You Make the Call)...

shaneo69
09-13-2004, 09:27 AM
Here's the situation: Chiefs ball, down by 3 points at Pile High with approx. 10 minutes left in the game, 1st down at their own 46 yard line.

You make the call. Do you...

a) pitch left to Priest Holmes and run behind Hall of Famer Willie Roaf
b) pitch right to Priest Holmes and run behind Hall of Famer Will Shields
c) try to force another pass to Tony Gonzalez

If you're Al Saunders, you choose c., and the pass nearly gets picked by Kelly Herndon. On 2nd and 10, Al decides to make Tony G. the primary option on a 3 yard route, and we're left with a 3rd and 7. Here, Eddie Kennison runs a 5 yard route and then cannot break the tackle of a rookie DB who was a low-round draft pick. On 4th and 2, we punt, and the game is over.

Chiefnj
09-13-2004, 09:29 AM
I don't think Al's playbook mandated that Green "force it" to a well covered Gonzalez.

Amnorix
09-13-2004, 09:31 AM
Most offenses are designed so that the QB goes to where the coverage ISN'T. Unless Green is too dumb to run that kind of offense (which is clearly not true), then what happened there was Green made a mental mistake in throwing that ball.

There's damn few games where QBs don't make at least a few mental mistakes. Don't blame the OC when the QB does something dumb.

ChiTown
09-13-2004, 09:34 AM
Most offenses are designed so that the QB goes to where the coverage ISN'T. Unless Green is too dumb to run that kind of offense (which is clearly not true), then what happened there was Green made a mental mistake in throwing that ball.

There's damn few games where QBs don't make at least a few mental mistakes. Don't blame the OC when the QB does something dumb.

It wasn't a mental mistake, there just wasn't anyone getting open. Tony's injury is bothering him more than he let's on. He wasn't getting open at all. In that situation, Trent was just trying to find any possible seam he could to throw to. His only outlet was a man that was covered 5 yards downfield.

mlyonsd
09-13-2004, 09:35 AM

I love Green as our QB but IMO we lost the momentum and the temp was set after Green ran backwards and was sacked for like a 25 yard loss in the 1st half. He should know better then that.

mlyonsd
09-13-2004, 09:37 AM
It wasn't a mental mistake, there just wasn't anyone getting open. Tony's injury is bothering him more than he let's on. He wasn't getting open at all. In that situation, Trent was just trying to find any possible seam he could to throw to. His only outlet was a man that was covered 5 yards downfield.

I know Wilson is just a rookie but his loss is going to be bigger then I was thinking. If the Broncos would have had to worry about him at the same time they had to account for TG I think our passing game would have been a lot more potent.

shaneo69
09-13-2004, 09:39 AM
NJ and Amno:

My point was, Trent had been forcing passes all night because no one was getting open. At that point in the game, it's doubtful that things were going to suddenly open up for our receivers. On the other hand, Priest was wearing down the donkey defense and showed no signs of letting up. To abandon Priest at that juncture of the game left me dumbfounded and pissed off.

NewChief
09-13-2004, 09:44 AM

Exactly. It's extremely worrisome to me (though I think they'll get it worked out). Trent, to me, looked like he was trying to make impossible plays out of desperation last night. Guys weren't open and Trent was doing anything to get the ball in there, regardless. What's the other option? Throw it away repeatedly? Feasible, but for our offense to really click we've got to establish both the run and the pass; they feed off of each other.

I don't know. That one sack for the huge loss was a big mistake as were some of the plays where he tried to force the ball where it didn't belong. To me, all the mistakes were indicative of a QB that was really struggling, unsuccessfully, to make a play and kickstart the offense.

Calcountry
09-13-2004, 10:29 AM
I don't think Al's playbook mandated that Green "force it" to a well covered Gonzalez.
I agree, Trent was not his best last night. He made a lot of poor decisions that was uncharacteristic of him. One was that Fran Tarkenten like scramble that ended up with a 20 yard loss.

I really think that the Denver secondary owned our WR's and Trent didn't have anything to throw to.

:shake:

TEX
09-13-2004, 10:39 AM
Here's the situation: Chiefs ball, down by 3 points at Pile High with approx. 10 minutes left in the game, 1st down at their own 46 yard line.

You make the call. Do you...

a) pitch left to Priest Holmes and run behind Hall of Famer Willie Roaf
b) pitch right to Priest Holmes and run behind Hall of Famer Will Shields
c) try to force another pass to Tony Gonzalez

If you're Al Saunders, you choose c., and the pass nearly gets picked by Kelly Herndon. On 2nd and 10, Al decides to make Tony G. the primary option on a 3 yard route, and we're left with a 3rd and 7. Here, Eddie Kennison runs a 5 yard route and then cannot break the tackle of a rookie DB who was a low-round draft pick. On 4th and 2, we punt, and the game is over.

Trent made a poor throw to Kennison - had he hit him instride, Kennison would have picked up the first down.

HC_Chief
09-13-2004, 10:40 AM
I don't klnow where everyone is getting this 'no one open' bullshit. The donks bracketed Gonzalez all night. They shifted zones and man on him throughout. They intentionally took him, Trent's 'safety valve', out of the game. In doing so, at least one receiver was open on each play. Trent didn't find them; instead, he forced an awful lot of passes to a double & triple teamed TE.

Calcountry
09-13-2004, 11:04 AM
I don't klnow where everyone is getting this 'no one open' bullshit. The donks bracketed Gonzalez all night. They shifted zones and man on him throughout. They intentionally took him, Trent's 'safety valve', out of the game. In doing so, at least one receiver was open on each play. Trent didn't find them; instead, he forced an awful lot of passes to a double & triple teamed TE.
Perhaps there is a lack of confidence in throwing to said open receivers. How many dropped balls last year. That is besides the point. I agree, Trent had a bad game last night, one I hope he doesn't repeat otherwise we will be having a long season this year. :shake:

shaneo69
09-13-2004, 11:12 AM

In that case, I say we bench Green and go with Todd.

Seriously though, I wondered about that. When you're watching on TV, the only coverage you see is the guy who the ball is thrown to. In almost every instance, there were two or three defensive guys on our receiver. I was thinking that there had to be another receiver out there who had single coverage. Or maybe we were keeping a RB in to help Welbourn, and that's why Denver could put three guys on each of our receivers. On one instance, though, at the end of the play, Kennison and Gonzo were about two feet away from each other, so one guy could've covered both of them.

HC_Chief
09-13-2004, 11:15 AM
In that case, I say we bench Green and go with Todd.

Seriously though, I wondered about that. When you're watching on TV, the only coverage you see is the guy who the ball is thrown to. In almost every instance, there were two or three defensive guys on our receiver. I was thinking that there had to be another receiver out there who had single coverage. Or maybe we were keeping a RB in to help Welbourn, and that's why Denver could put three guys on each of our receivers. On one instance, though, at the end of the play, Kennison and Gonzo were about two feet away from each other, so one guy could've covered both of them.

Nothing short of an injury would prompt me to call for Todd Collins over Trent Green!! :D Trent had a bad game... it happens. More often than not, he has good ones.

Good point re: bunched receivers. I've seen an alarming increase in those plays - 'designed' pass plays to clear for a primary receiver. If the primary is covered, we're fooked; as evidenced last night.

NewChief
09-13-2004, 11:17 AM

It could also mean that your WRs were getting handled in single coverage, which is what I believe to be the case. Trent has shown us repeatedly tha he can find the open man. Meanwhile, our WRs (the ones we know) have shown us repeatedly that they often fail to get open. It's not that hard to figure out to me.

HC_Chief
09-13-2004, 11:19 AM
It could also mean that your WRs were getting handled in single coverage, which is what I believe to be the case. Trent has shown us repeatedly tha he can find the open man. Meanwhile, our WRs (the ones we know) have shown us repeatedly that they often fail to get open. It's not that hard to figure out to me.

No doubt that our receivers had problems separating. However the 'bracketing' of Gonzalez meant single-coverage on those guys. In the NFL, that equates to 'open'... and a far better target than a double or triple-teamed TE.

The WRs get some blame, but it doesn't excuse Trent for forcing passes. He had a very poor game.

Hydrae
09-13-2004, 11:27 AM
Trent did not look very accurate tonight. Things like that long pass to Kennison (boy did the refs screw the pooch on that call), if Trent would have put it 3 feet shorter, Eddie would still be running.

I really think that his mistake with the long sack (why the heck he turned back around instead of throwing it away I will never figure out). I think it shook his confidence because he knew it was a boneheaded play after the fact. He took a long time to get back fully in the game and stop yelling at himself mentally. It was a dumb move, he knew it and it ate at him for a long time.

Calcountry
09-13-2004, 11:41 AM
Trent did not look very accurate tonight. Things like that long pass to Kennison (boy did the refs screw the pooch on that call), if Trent would have put it 3 feet shorter, Eddie would still be running.

I really think that his mistake with the long sack (why the heck he turned back around instead of throwing it away I will never figure out). I think it shook his confidence because he knew it was a boneheaded play after the fact. He took a long time to get back fully in the game and stop yelling at himself mentally. It was a dumb move, he knew it and it ate at him for a long time.
Which is something great QB's have no problem doing. I was a little disappointed in Trent, if he did in fact have a mental focus problem after that.

I remember Montana(with 49ers), smiling after throwing Pics.

The point is, he shook it off almost immediately. I am not putting Trent down, I mean it is a great thing to be compared to Montana.

NewChief
09-13-2004, 11:43 AM
I remember Montana(with 49ers), smiling after throwing Pics.

Trent one time did a sort of grimace/smirk after throwing a pick. I think Whitlock wrote an article about it and half the board wanted to bench him because of it.