PDA

View Full Version : Carolina Game Looms BIG for Chiefs

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 09:28 AM
I know it's way too early to say it's a "must-win."

But then, WHY do I feel that way? :shake: Damn, I'm depressed. Not so much that we lost, but that we looked like crap in the process... :banghead:

Eleazar
09-13-2004, 09:32 AM
:rolleyes:

Amnorix
09-13-2004, 09:35 AM
Read Peter King's MMQB today. Last year's losers in week 1:

Patriots
Dallas
St. Louis Rams
Baltimore
Philadelphia.

All of those teams, of course, went to the playoffs. Some of those teams looked BAD in their losses (Philly, Pats), and some lost to what were ultimately proven to be mediocre teams.

It's week 1. Cheer up. There's ALOT of football left to play, and your team is GOOD.

htismaqe
09-13-2004, 09:35 AM
It is a must win. It's at home.

Great teams don't lose at home.

htismaqe
09-13-2004, 09:37 AM

Patriots
Dallas
St. Louis Rams
Baltimore
Philadelphia.

All of those teams, of course, went to the playoffs. Some of those teams looked BAD in their losses (Philly, Pats), and some lost to what were ultimately proven to be mediocre teams.

It's week 1. Cheer up. There's ALOT of football left to play, and your team is GOOD.

Great post.

ChiTown
09-13-2004, 09:37 AM
It's not a "must" win, but you certainly don't want to start off 0-2 when your D looks like it could lose more games for you down the line.

mlyonsd
09-13-2004, 09:40 AM
With our schedule being the way it is we can't afford to lose more then one home game IMO.

TEX
09-13-2004, 09:41 AM
The CHIEFS should win the game - It 's our home opener and the Panthers will be playing on the road after a short week...

siberian khatru
09-13-2004, 09:41 AM
I can't wait to see how (if?) we adjust. It also will be interesting to see how Carolina plays tonight. Great D-line, good RBs, good receivers, a QB who I think is gonna be even better this year, but an OL that's in a real state of flux. They're gonna be a handful for us, I think.

MichaelH
09-13-2004, 09:47 AM
The Chiefs can't underestimate the Panthers. They are for real and I think they're better than last year. I live just west of Charlotte and got to see every preseason game. Even though they were holding back, the offense is good and the defense is FAST! I hate the term must win game so early in the season but it is one if we want to be playing in January.

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 09:58 AM
It is a must win. It's at home.

Great teams don't lose at home.

That's my thinking. :(

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 09:59 AM

Patriots
Dallas
St. Louis Rams
Baltimore
Philadelphia.

I know, I know....I just feel a little "hung over"; and the sad think is, I didn't have a DROP of alcohol.... :shake:

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 10:01 AM
With our schedule being the way it is we can't afford to lose more then one home game IMO.

I have us, 7-1 at home; 5-3 on the road. Sure those are still attainable, but last night's performance would not inspire confidence..... :shake:

Mile High Mania
09-13-2004, 10:21 AM
I would say it's a "must win" only in the sense that playoff bound teams should be 8-0 at home. It's tough to win all your home games, but with a suspect defense, you have to win the home games.

The big thing to look at is that the Panther's offense should be able to do everything that Denver did last night. So, there's a bit of adjusting that needs to be done.

Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster are watching tape of Q now and thinking "we can do that".

The Panthers' defense is also every bit as good, if not better than Denver's at this stage in the season, so there are a lot of similarities.

Eleazar
09-13-2004, 10:25 AM
Yeah, you don't want to lose at home, but still... :rolleyes: at a must-win game being an out-of-conference opponent in week 2.

Raiderhater
09-13-2004, 10:30 AM
We'll rebound.

Warrior5
09-13-2004, 10:30 AM
The Chiefs can't underestimate the Panthers. They are for real and I think they're better than last year.

I don't think a single Chief would understimate last year's NFC Champs.

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 11:09 AM
Yeah, you don't want to lose at home, but still... :rolleyes: at a must-win game being an out-of-conference opponent in week 2.

I know what you are saying; but to open 0-2 by losing your home opener, with the schedule we have....it would require a historic turn-aruound to do what we all want to do--win the SB. I just don't see an 0-2 team going onto do that.... :banghead:

Amnorix
09-13-2004, 11:22 AM
I know what you are saying; but to open 0-2 by losing your home opener, with the schedule we have....it would require a historic turn-aruound to do what we all want to do--win the SB. I just don't see an 0-2 team going onto do that.... :banghead:

Pats were 0-2 and then 1-3 before going on a tear to finish the season at 11-5, the #2 seed in the AFC, and then win the SB, in '01.

It's tough, don't get me wrong, and not at all ideal, but it is do-able.

wazu
09-13-2004, 11:24 AM
We'll win. I'm going to be at the game and I'm pretty loud.

mlyonsd
09-13-2004, 11:27 AM
I have us, 7-1 at home; 5-3 on the road. Sure those are still attainable, but last night's performance would not inspire confidence..... :shake:

Yea I was pretty disappointed as well but it's only the first game and we were playing an opener on Sunday night against the only other team capable of winning our division.

I think 10 weeks from now our defense will be playing better rather then the opposite. If we could ever figure out how to make our WR's actual threats we'd be in better position of course.

I still think we will only play better as the weeks go on.

ChiefsOne
09-13-2004, 11:37 AM
I thought every game was must win! Who is OK with losing?

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Pats were 0-2 and then 1-3 before going on a tear to finish the season at 11-5, the #2 seed in the AFC, and then win the SB, in '01.

It's tough, don't get me wrong, and not at all ideal, but it is do-able.

The difference is, you guys had a defense.... :banghead:

KHinz57
09-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Priest Holmes performance against a great run defense makes me wonder what he would do against a run defense like San Diego or Houston?

Raiderhater
09-13-2004, 11:54 AM
The difference is, you guys had a defense.... :banghead:

So do we.

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 11:56 AM
So do we.

If you've FOUND it; please, return it to Gunther....I understand he's looking for it. :banghead:

Raiderhater
09-13-2004, 12:00 PM
If you've FOUND it; please, return it to Gunther....I understand he's looking for it. :banghead:

Gunther has it, and is developing it as we speak.

Did you not notice the improvements last night? Did you not notice that after our first drive our O became impotent leaving the D on the field longer AND providing them with a short field to defend? Did you not notice that despite this the D found a way to make four stops in a row?

We are on the road to recovery, it is just going to take a little time to get where we want to be.

HolmeZz
09-13-2004, 01:45 PM
It's not a must-win to make the playoffs. The only way you can consider it a must-win is if you're worried about winning the division.

And I'm not even worried about that.

And our schedule looked a lot tougher before everybody took the field. Sunday showed no reason to be scared of playing at Jacksonville, New Orleans or Baltimore, or home against Atlanta. We'll be fine.

David.
09-13-2004, 01:48 PM
yah, we're cool.

go bo
09-13-2004, 01:49 PM
I know, I know....I just feel a little "hung over"; and the sad think is, I didn't have a DROP of alcohol.... :shake:yeah, i think it's sad too... :p

KC Jones
09-13-2004, 01:50 PM
I had us at 6-2 at home and 4-4 on the road. 10-6 should be enough to make the playoffs and probably enough to win the division.

Mr. Kotter
09-13-2004, 02:03 PM
....We are on the road to recovery, it is just going to take a little time to get where we want to be.

I know, I know; patience is not one of my strengths though.....especially against the Donks.

Yeah, I noticed some marginal improvement in a few areas; but it's against a Bronco team that was less capable than last IMHO. :)

David.
09-13-2004, 02:05 PM
I got us 7-1 and 5-3 I think we can lose this game and still be cool. But I think we need to either beat Carolina at home, or NE at home. So, if we lose this game, then the Pat's game is a must-win in my eyes.