PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs vs. Broncos - The Aftermath

KHinz57
09-13-2004, 11:47 AM
It's Monday afternoon, and it's time to reflect.

First and foremost, Mike Shanahan is a true student of the game. He dissects the problem and takes care of it. He had the answer for Dante Hall in Micah Knorr. He acquired the answer for Tony Gonzalez in Champ Bailey. He had the answer for Trent Green in Al Wilson. The Denver Broncos prepared for this game well ... something Al Saunders and Dick Vermeil didn't. Gunther Cunningham seemed to have a new direction for our defense, and even though they gave up 34 points to Quentin Griffin and company, they showed flashes of a decent defense. The big thing is that Vonnie Holliday is a waste. He did have one sack in the game, due to being uncovered, having a straight path to Jake Plummer. He sucked in to the run, while Jake Plummer would keep the ball and roll-out for an easy completion or run.

Now the positive. Throughout a game full of negatives, there were many bright spots. Priest Holmes looks faster than ever, and will only continue to get better. The Broncos normally have a pretty darn good run defense, but with that Kansas City line, excluding Welbourne, Priest Holmes just couldn't be stopped, atleast not by 1 or 2 tacklers. Scott Fujita. 'Ol number 51 was all over the field last night. He didn't suck in and kept containment on all ball-carriers, and didn't miss any tackles, like our entire secondary continued to do throughout the game. Lawrence Tynes continually is able to kick the ball further than Jason Baker and Morten Andersen combined. Just imagine, before half-time, that would've been a hail mary pass instead of a 50+ yard field goal, there is no way Morten is able to kick the ball that far. Junior Siavii even though limited to a few plays, looked pretty impressive. It shows the light at the end of the tunnel for a future run defense with Ryan Sims.

For the near future, our season still looks promising. The Chiefs defense can only get better. They are still learning a new attacking style scheme, and Al Saunders will have to find a way to be more creative. Priest Holmes is only going to get hungrier, and chew up more yards. He saw how well he did against a pretty good defense in Denver, now he'll probably look to set records against defenses like San Diego and Houston. Lawrence Tynes will be able to knock down those 45-50+ yard field goals that were for the last three season, out of range. By saeson's end, Junior Siavii will be a starter at Defensive tackle and will slowly begin help shut down the running game. If only we could shut down the passing game ... and there is only one Champ Bailey in the AFC, and we don't have him.

On a side note, I wonder if we could trade anyone on our roster for Terry Pierce to be our middle linebacker?

KHinz57
09-13-2004, 02:19 PM
Also ... everyone needs to remember, last year Denver may have won 1 of the battles, but they didn't win the war. I'm sure not even Denverland forgets that horrible display of football last year in the Wildcard game.

jcroft
09-13-2004, 02:48 PM
Pierce is a Bronco, right? An in-divison trade would <em>never</em> happen.

TEX
09-13-2004, 04:17 PM
Welbourn played very well when running the football. He had trouble in pass protection.

KHinz57
09-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I must've missed that, I was too busy watching the receivers blocking, and the actually runner with the ball. Everyone keeps saying how good Welbourne was on the run, which is very encouraging, because I was contemplating how developed Brett Williams was to come in and take over. Although I do wish Monty Biesel wouldn't commit so much to fakes, he did address it a little bit in the 2nd half, but those crucial long TD runs straight up the middle capped the loss for the Chiefs.

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2004, 08:25 PM
I just figured it out KHinz57....you're John Kerry.

KHinz57
09-13-2004, 08:31 PM
I just figured it out KHinz57....you're John Kerry.

Well, so much for my huge surprise in November at this board! I tell you, those Denver Broncos' fans can always sniff out a rat. :banghead:

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2004, 08:44 PM
Well, so much for my huge surprise in November at this board! I tell you, those Denver Broncos' fans can always sniff out a rat. :banghead:

LOL..good show.