PDA

View Full Version : Welborne, fleeing hurricane Ivan, and we need a reciever to step up big.

bringbackmarty
09-13-2004, 12:11 PM
I thought I would break last night's down game into a few key failures.
1. Welborne has to get better, trent is a great qb, but not the best under pressure. If trent faces as much pressure as he did last night, all season - the passing game will never get better.
2. The Chiefs wide recievers. Get some separation, catch the damn ball, and run god dammit. Johnny Morton is a lame assed rock handed tweener third wideout bench jockey at best. Get someone withn some spark.
3. Run defense. Complete defensive overhaul needed to fix this. Can Holliday, in favor of someone young with some fire. Somebody needs ti light a fire under Siavii's ass too. Stick Caver in the middle if Biesel doesn't turn the corner next week. Maybe Mitchell will be better? Probably not.

Hurricane Ivan looks like it is gonna plow through New Orleans later this week. I am scheduled to depart for a three week gig on the QM2 out of New York on Friday. My wife and I will probable evacuate on Tuesday. I won't see the planet for about three weeks. So good luck everyone! If you don't mind say a prayer for my home, maybe I'll have something to come back to. GO CHIEFS!

TRR
09-13-2004, 12:54 PM
I disagree on several things you post.

I thought Johnnie Morton played a solid game for being out the last month with an achilles injury. None of our WR's were getting seperation, not just Johnnie Morton.

Siavii looked good as well in his 1st real game of his rookie season. He had a sack in his 1st game and got decent pressure all night long. Siavii has some things to work on no doubt, but for his first NFL game...

I completely disagree with your Monty Beisel comment. That kid can play MLB. He is our best MLB. He's athletic, made tackles last night sideline to sideline, and we haven't had a MLB make a play for an INT like he did for a long time. He changed the game with that INT.

HC_Chief
09-13-2004, 12:57 PM
I agree with TRR re: Beisel. He has improved with each game... something I'm not seeing from the other defenders.

htismaqe
09-13-2004, 02:34 PM
Beisel is absolutely getting better each game. Hopefully, Mitchell can show the same ability to improve from game to game. Then we'll have some actual depth at the position, however tenuous.

And I disagee about Welbourn. Watch the @ Denver game from last season - the pressure was just as bad as it was last night. Welbourn's problem was penalties.

KC Jones
09-13-2004, 02:37 PM
Welbourne had knee surgery this offseason and it shows that he's not 100%. He's got a bad wheel and he's really having trouble with an outside speed rush. That's a big part of the reason why he caused so many penalties.

jcroft
09-13-2004, 02:41 PM
Welbourne: The penalties hurt us more than subpar pass protection. And, he does a very nice job in the run game. There is definitely room for improvement, but I don't see him as a significant dropoff from John Tait.

The Chiefs receivers do need to get seperation. I agree with TRR that Morton played pretty decent for missing all of camp. I'd love to see them get "someone with spark," but I don't know who it's going to be. Good receivers with "spark" who get seperation aren't usually free agents for long.

Beisel should stay where he is. As others have mentioned, he's showing alot of improvement week to week. We should ride it out and see how far he can go.