PDA

View Full Version : Do we have a MLB controversy ? ( Beisel props )

ROYC75
09-13-2004, 03:35 PM
( OK, let's keep this within reason guys, you know how I feel , keep with this topic )

OK, MLB was a position we all knew was a problem. As much as we all have our opinions of who we wanted, I have to say I was impressed last night with Monty Beisel. Hear me out now.......

For the 1st half, he sucked. Out of place, going with the fakes, never around the ball. At the half he had 1 tackle and was a no show on defense.

I don't know what Gun said at the half, but it worked. Did he single Beisel out ? Did he council him during halftime adjustments ? I can only assume he did,the whole team needed it.

The 2nd half, Beisel looked alot better and finished with 7 tackles,1 assist,1 INT,and 1 ST's tackle. A couple of times he was still out of place, but he stepped it up. Understanding all to well that he is learning this position from switching from DE to ST's to OLB to MLB, he has shown that he can get better . Hey,This is a positive spin on Beisel. I didn't think he could pickup MLB so quick. He had much better instincts of the ball the 2nd half. Rest assure, he has a long ways to go to be good, but if last night was an indication for improvement , it could very well work out.

I never saw Mitchell make this type of change last year during any of the 6 games he played in. If Mitchell does not play next week and Beisel does OK or plays well again , we might have a MLB controversy between Mitchell and Beisel.

I have never been impressed with Mitchell, Who knows ,maybe Beisel will improve enough to stay in the middle ?

Matt Helm
09-13-2004, 03:38 PM
( OK, let's keep this within reason guys, you know how I feel , keep with this topic )

OK, MLB was a position we all knew was a problem. As much as we all have our opinions of who we wanted, I have to say I was impressed last night with Monty Beisel. Hear me out now.......

For the 1st half, he sucked. Out of place, going with the fakes, never around the ball. At the half he had 1 tackle and was a no show on defense.

I don't know what Gun said at the half, but it worked. Did he single Beisel out ? Did he council him during halftime adjustments ? I can only assume he did,the whole team needed it.

The 2nd half, Beisel looked alot better and finished with 7 tackles,1 assist,1 INT,and 1 ST's tackle. A couple of times he was still out of place, but he stepped it up. Understanding all to well that he is learning this position from switching from DE to ST's to OLB to MLB, he has shown that he can get better . Hey,This is a positive spin on Beisel. I didn't think he could pickup MLB so quick. He had much better instincts of the ball the 2nd half. Rest assure, he has a long ways to go to be good, but if last night was an indication for improvement , it could very well work out.

I never saw Mitchell make this type of change last year during any of the 6 games he played in. If Mitchell does not play next week and Beisel does OK or plays well again , we might have a MLB controversy between Mitchell and Beisel.

I have never been impressed with Mitchell, Who knows ,maybe Beisel will improve enough to stay in the middle ?

Mitchell had all of last year to grow, but you are right, he didn't grow as quickly as you might have thought he should.

If Beisel is that fast of a learner/adjuster, he may be the key to a steady increase in the productive output for the defense.

jspchief
09-13-2004, 03:38 PM
We definately have a controversy...there's a chance that Beisel will beat Scanlon out for the MLB spot.

htismaqe
09-13-2004, 03:40 PM
I think we should wait and see how fast Mitchell learns under GUNTHER. Last year was wasted time, IMO, trying to "learn" under Robinson...

ROYC75
09-13-2004, 03:41 PM
We definately have a controversy...there's a chance that Beisel will beat Scanlon out for the MLB spot.

I knew none of you could keep a topic going with out that name....

Must refrain from the argument...must must must...

Beisel showed some promise last night.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-13-2004, 03:43 PM
I went to McDonald's today for lunch and Rich Scanlon asked me if I wanted fries with that.... it was weird.

jspchief
09-13-2004, 03:45 PM
I knew none of you could keep a topic going with out that name....

Must refrain from the argument...must must must...

Beisel showed some promise last night.

I can't help it. Royc75 and Rich Scanlon are forever joined in my brain.

Raiderhater
09-13-2004, 03:45 PM
I think we should wait and see how fast Mitchell learns under GUNTHER. Last year was wasted time, IMO, trying to "learn" under Robinson...

I agree with this. At the same time however, I am completely comfortable with Monty if that is the decision made (and have been since he was forced into the position).

Considering where Mitchell was taken in the draft, I would not count too much on Monty just keeping the job.....

ROYC75
09-13-2004, 03:46 PM

I can understand this as well. GROB can screw anything up.

But think about this, If Mitchell does pick it up ( keep in mind we didn't see it in preseason 1st 2 games, maybe we will ) , what do we do then.

If Beisel can pick up a scheme and be around the ball, we need guys around the ball on our defense. So what do we do then ?

A 3-4 D ? We don't have that dominating DT for a 3-4.

A 4-4 will leave us hanging against a pass happy offense.

Raiderhater
09-13-2004, 03:47 PM
I went to McDonald's today for lunch and Rich Scanlon asked me if I wanted fries with that.... it was weird.

ROFL

Pitt Gorilla
09-13-2004, 03:50 PM
Watch Griffin's untouched TD run right up the middle of our D. Where the hell was Beisel? I understand that it was only 1 bad play, but it was a HORRIBLE play at an even worse time. Things like that can be corrected, but that "no-show" really pissed me off.

Scanlon can't hold Mike Peterson's jock.

ROYC75
09-13-2004, 03:51 PM
I can't help it. Royc75 and Rich Scanlon are forever joined in my brain.

But he is still with the team , more than most gave him credit for.

Back to Beisel..... Last night,it just wasn't Beisel, it was the whole team taking the fakes and biting on the run to let a cutback kills us. The downfield approach by Gun is to disrupt the offense, but last night the Denver offense still dictated to us what they wanted to do.

htismaqe
09-13-2004, 03:54 PM
I can understand this as well. GROB can screw anything up.

But think about this, If Mitchell does pick it up ( keep in mind we didn't see it in preseason 1st 2 games, maybe we will ) , what do we do then.

If Beisel can pick up a scheme and be around the ball, we need guys around the ball on our defense. So what do we do then ?

A 3-4 D ? We don't have that dominating DT for a 3-4.

A 4-4 will leave us hanging against a pass happy offense.

What do we do then?

We pick the better of the 2 and start him, knowing that we also have a quality backup.

ROYC75
09-13-2004, 03:56 PM
Watch Griffin's untouched TD run right up the middle of our D. Where the hell was Beisel? I understand that it was only 1 bad play, but it was a HORRIBLE play at an even worse time. Things like that can be corrected, but that "no-show" really pissed me off.

Scanlon can't hold Mike Peterson's jock.

Beisel took the fake run to his left, same as Dalton ( RT) and Allen ( RE )... did. Beisel got mixed up in the blocking scheme and all Griffin had to do was watch what hole to hit when it opened.

Woods was blitz'n at the time and came down the LOS, only to late, Barber was in the right flat 8 yards away from Watts and Griffin was to fast for Barber to get an angle.

Wesley just had his jock faked off, that was ugly.

As for you Scanlon comment, I tried to warn you guys to keep it to the topic...... 4321

ROFL

ROYC75
09-13-2004, 03:58 PM
What do we do then?

We pick the better of the 2 and start him, knowing that we also have a quality backup.

Agreed, it's all we can do.

I guess I was really asking for some of the others posters who was wanting us to use a 3-4 earlier in the year.

Again, we don't have that dominating DT in the middle.

R&GHomer
09-13-2004, 04:01 PM

:eek: Wow! That kid truely is amazing. Hell, he was just asking me if I wanted paper or plastic at the local piggly wiggly. Sure is nice to have such a Multidimensional stud on our practice squad.

Cormac
09-13-2004, 04:04 PM
Beisel was pretty impressive in the second half. The first half, all I saw him do was beat team-mates helmets to dust after they made good plays. But, in fairness to him, he stepped it up a lot in the 2nd half.

Having said that, this is a good point:

Beisel was blocked way out of that play. You could see it from the camera behind the defense. DV blamed the DE for that play because he got sealed off, but I figured Beisel likely had a lot to do with that defensive breakdown. I know it was his first game, and 10 year vets can make that mistake, but it shows that he's green and has a long way to go. But I did like his effort and SPEED. That allowed him to make a great tackle on Griffin when he tried to turn the corner on one play.

royr17
09-13-2004, 04:06 PM
I agree i thought Beisel looked better last night but my only problem with Beisel is that he is not fast enough and he cant fight off blocks.

Whats the use of fighting off blocks if u arent fast enough, whats the use of being fast enough if u cant fight off blocks.

Only thing i hope is that this team starts picking it up by the middle of the season if they dont than kiss our super bowl chances goodbye.

Cause if you think Denver was bad think what New England and Indy will be like.

jspchief
09-13-2004, 04:43 PM
Beisel is guilty of the same thing our other LBs and our safeties are guilty of...over-pursuit. That's why the misdirection plays (naked bootleg) kill us. Our guys are trying to switch directions while the guy with the ball is hitting full speed. Fujita was the only guy that consistently stayed home, and he was ineffective because the safety never covered his back.

I hope there is some way to coach these guys out of this. Everytime the opposing O-line blocks in one direction, our entire team starts running that way. No one watchs where the ball is, or has a sense of where it is. Mobile QBs and RBs that can make hard cutbacks will eat us alive this year...can you imagine what Vick will do, after watching Plummer leave us helpless?

Saulbadguy
09-13-2004, 05:06 PM
Beisel is the man. Don't talk shit.

Coach
09-13-2004, 05:19 PM
I agree i thought Beisel looked better last night but my only problem with Beisel is that he is not fast enough and he cant fight off blocks.

Actually, IIRC, where he made a fine INT play, the RB/FB attempted to knock him down at his shins. He blocked that down perfectly, in time to get back up to make the INT. I have to believe the FB/RB was designed to knock him down so that Plummer would have a clear passing lane in the middle.

royr17
09-13-2004, 05:47 PM
Actually, IIRC, where he made a fine INT play, the RB/FB attempted to knock him down at his shins. He blocked that down perfectly, in time to get back up to make the INT. I have to believe the FB/RB was designed to knock him down so that Plummer would have a clear passing lane in the middle.

Yea i saw that, but he also had time to set back and read the play after it was hiked and when the ball comes at u that quick the only thing to do is react, but he has trouble reading the bootlegs and where the RB runs the ball too.

wolfpack0735
09-13-2004, 06:22 PM
can`t have a controversy if a team dosen`t have a true mlb ROFL

Raiderhater
09-13-2004, 06:27 PM
Yea i saw that, but he also had time to set back and read the play after it was hiked and when the ball comes at u that quick the only thing to do is react, but he has trouble reading the bootlegs and where the RB runs the ball too.

The entire defensive squad had trouble reading the bootlegs. Picking on the guy who was making his first start at MLB and still trying to learn the process is not exactly fair.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2004, 06:30 PM
I just wish our damn linebackers wouldn't lose every shred of backside containment. That's how that huge cutback run was started. Q just cut back and ran 47 yards to paydirt. Ugly....

And I really wish he had popped Plummer in the mouth one on of those bootlegs...we were giving up yards on em anyways, might as well have sent a message.

KCTitus
05-05-2005, 11:29 AM

Scanlon's got a real shot now that Beisel went to NE.

keg in kc
05-05-2005, 11:33 AM
Scanlon's got a real shot now that Beisel went to NE.Some people who don't know as much about football as me think Monty left because the Patriots offered him a starting job. Bullshit. He's gone because he saw the writing on the wall. Scanlon's on the verge. On the verge, baby.

KCTitus
05-05-2005, 11:35 AM
Some people who don't know as much about football as me think Monty left because the Patriots offered him a starting job. Bullshit. He's gone because he saw the writing on the wall. Scanlon's on the verge. On the verge, baby.

When Scanlon 'chose' KC...it was just a matter of time.

keg in kc
05-05-2005, 11:38 AM
When Scanlon 'chose' KC...it was just a matter of time.I just hope the stupid coaches open their eyes and don't waste playing time on guys like Derrick Johnson and Kendrell Bell. The real talent on the team is Rich Scanlon. He's the future of the damned franchise.

KCTitus
05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
I just hope the stupid coaches open their eyes and don't waste playing time on guys like Derrick Johnson and Kendrell Bell. The real talent on the team is Rich Scanlon. He's the future of the damned franchise.

Yeah, I mean, really...did Johnson or Bell lead NFL Europe in tackles? They clearly dont measure up.

keg in kc
05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I mean, really...did Johnson or Bell lead NFL Europe in tackles? They clearly dont measure up.They don't use their powers for the good of mankind, either. Simple guys like Johnson and Bell have to "focus" on the game, while a genious like Scanlon has the ability to multitask. Why, just last year he used his medical acumen to cure polio, all while mastering Gunther's playbook. Which, he told me, was actually a little too simplistic. He told the Chiefs that they needed to call me to help rectumfy the defense. Since I clearly have a superiour football intellect. I'm waiting by the phone as we speak. It should ring any second now.

Dave Lane
08-30-2014, 01:39 PM
Should we make a run at Rich Scanlon? I think he's a free agent now.