PDA

View Full Version : Been at work all day: Haven't had my chance to rant: Warning Long

suds79
09-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Hey guys. I Have some thoughts I'd like to share about the game and about football in general.

1st off, while I'm disappointed the Chiefs lost, I must not let myself be crushed by it. Although it's hard, it is only week 1 where it's more about how you're playing come season's end rather than from the beginning. (See New England - 2003 week 1: 31-0 loss to Buffalo)

But this isn't about playing spin doctor here. I'm still raving about coaching decisions & plays I saw which I didn't like. And let me say, I have a long list.

Before I start, congrats to Denver. I honestly didn't think they could just throw away a guy like Clinton Portis and have the next guy step in line like nothings changed but apparently for them, they can. Granted it was against the Chiefs, which isn't saying much, but none the less, Griffin looked good.

Things that worry me about the Chiefs:

The defense looked exactly the same from what I saw last year. Yeah they were a little more aggressive but they still can't stop the run. While I still believe Greg Robinson is arguably the sorriest D.C. alive today, I guess it just goes to show that part of it is the ole saying of "You can't make chicken salad out of chicken shit." I honestly can't think of 1 player on that D that I'll really miss once he's gone. Not one. When Priest is gone, I'll miss that guy. When Will Shields, Willie Roaf are gone, I'll miss those guys. But not even 1 guy on defense. Shame on you Carl Peterson for not making a move to get better.

You don't see Denver sitting on their hands do you? Denver was ranking in the top 10 in defense last year (I believe) and that wasn't good enough for the Mike Shanahan. He went out and got Champ Bailey, the best CB in the game. It was a good move because if you just sit still in the NFL, you'll get burnt.

Speaking of sitting still. How about that offense?

I mean what a better way to help out other teams prepare how to stop the best offense in the league than by keeping it exactly the same? Great move guys.

Now it's not time to jump over board just yet because it was opening night in Denver on national TV, but it wasn't what we normally see. Trent, good quarterback and all, started off the season ice cold just as he has the last 3 years. I don't know what it is with this guy but he never has good game ones. I'm sure he'll heat up starting next game and throughout the season because he's a fine QB but it just stinks he had a really off day.

Another thing that disappoints me is that the Chiefs just sat still at WR. Everybody knows they have sorry WR corps in the league and now it looks like teams have finally wised up to see that they never pass to those guys. It's usually Tony Gonzalez & Priest Holmes on the screens. As long as you got your best cover guy on Tony and someone always shadowing Priest, you've pretty much shut down the passing game. How embarrassing is that for the starting WRs if teams not only feel they can cover you "one-on-one", but by doing it with their backup corners. That's just unacceptable.

At what point do the Chiefs have to give Richard Smith a chance? Are Morton & Kennison superior blockers? Are they catalist for the running game? Because it surely couldn't be from there production. Get him in there.

And how about John Welbourn? I know John Tait never turned into a stud Left Tackle like the Chiefs had hoped, but he was really good at RT. Boy do we miss him now. He could run block, pull and more importantly, he could pass block. Now the Chiefs have a former Guard who they say is a mauler in the run game. Yeah that's great and all but how about a guy who can pass block. Maybe it'd just be easier for Welbourn to line up backwards to get a better running start backfield before he gets beat around the corner because this guy can't move his feet. If the saying holds true that you're only as strong as your weakest link, then that right side of the line is in trouble with a capital T.

And what the hell is Gunther doing in the study room? I'd love to pick this guy's brain.

Here's an example of some question's I'd fire at him.

Did you watch film from the last 2 Chiefs v Broncos games?
Are you aware that in their offense they run 2 different plays about 80% of the time? (The Stretch play and the Play Action Stretch play Bootleg)

Let me get this straight?

The defense is so bad that the entire front 7 has to sell out "guns blazing" to stop the run thus leaving the Bootleg side of the field open ALL DAY? That's just sorry. How about guys responsible for that side of the field actually get off blocks or command a double team thus freeing up LBs? That is what good defenses do isn't it?

Here's an idea!!! If you can't stop the run, how about having the weak-side DE or OLB blitz up field after Jake to greet him once he turns right into them? Sure that leaves open the possibility for a cutback run by the RB but it's not like they're stopping the guy anyways? I'd just be happy with the idea that if they even try the bootleg, they (Denver) knows there's going to be someone to take Jake's head off and it's QB suicide if they run that. At least they'd (KC) be taking away the pass that way instead of giving them both.

And what's up with the DE situation? Lets see, we have two rather large starting DEs. This could be good because bigger guys help stop the run right? Apparently not for this group. Either stop the run, or put in some smaller pass rushing DEs. Lets get either one or the other. A lot of times it feels like we're getting neither.

And how much of an insult is it to the Chiefs defense that with as much time offense coordinators spend devising ways to confuse defenses, Denver just believes in just running the same stuff. I refuse to believe it can be that easy against a quality defense. Again, another testament to how bad the defense was.

That's it for now. hopefully the Chiefs can bounce back in week 2.

Bowser
09-13-2004, 06:47 PM
You weren't shittin'! That IS long!

Bowser
09-13-2004, 06:55 PM
And don't worry, man. The Chiefs are going to be fine this year. Yeah, we looked not so good yesterday, but tell me the last time we went into Denver and looked good? In '95 with Bono throwing to Lake Dawson? You remember, the snow game with Marcus making the TD. We won 21-7. That is the last time I can think of we handled Denver in their house. Yeah, Grbac beat them in 2000 (I think), but that was a last second, come from behind sort of thing.

I hate to quote Kietzman, but he's right on this, we were 13-3 last year and got spanked worse then than we did last night. So rest easy. The best is yet to come! :thumb: