PDA

View Full Version : New To Kansas

OldSarge
09-13-2004, 07:54 PM
Hi all, I moved here from Seahawk (ugh) country a little over a month ago. So far my opinion of the KC area is great with the exception of a few quirks that I'm sure to get used to. The quirks are:

1 - No speed limits (or at least not obeyed even at 5 or 10 over)
2 - Humidity, although I've heard I'm in for a rude awakening next year - apparently I bought Seattle weather with me this year. I spent two years in Vietnam and it just can't get any worse than that.
3 - Tailgaters - no, not the tailgaters at Arrowhead. The tailgaters that think they can run up your exhaust pipe to get you to move faster. One day someone in a nice luxury car or SUV will have to get their grill replaced. Why tailgate? So you can arrive 20 seconds earlier than I?
4 - Kids out of seabelts. I see this everyday. Kids in the front of the car romping around, jumping over to the back seat, etc while the driver isn't belted either. What will it take?
5 - Too much open space and grassy areas. Yep, that's a quirk. I'm not used to it but I'm sure I will, very soon. I love it.
6 - Friendly people. I'm not used to that either. But people here I have found for the most part are very friendly.

Now I live in Olathe. Apparently the crime rate is low in Olathe as most homes I see on main streets do not have fences. The rear of the home is open to anyone wanting to host their own BBQ. This is unheard of in the Seattle area. As soon as an unfenced home is sold, the first thing that goes up is a fence, spot lights, sirens, and guard towers.

I also like the fact that I can stand on a tuna can and see for 20 miles in either direction without seeing a mountain. I do miss my mountains though. We plan to plant a nice Colorado Blue Spruce in our front yard next Spring. It will bring in a touch of the Northwest.

We are glad to be here folks. 6 grandkids and 3 great grandkids is the main reason for the move. Since we are fully retired now (don't even know what day it is anymore, much less the time of day), we will have plenty of time to get to know the area and the people. I cannot believe the number of golf courses and parks in Johnson County. We will make good use of them.

The cost of living here is a notch below that of Seattle. Well, maybe two notches depending on what you buy.

You all have a very nice area here and it's obvious you are very proud of it the way it's kept up.

When I wear out my 49er gear, I'll try and make some Chief's games. I already own three Chief's caps and a visor and rub them on Sunday's to get used to the feel. Now for a visit to the tailgate capitol of the world - Arrowhead. Hell, I'll just go for the fun, the hell with the games.

Rich

Coach
09-13-2004, 07:58 PM
Welcome to Kansas. I hope that you enjoy your stay in Olathe. I been up to Olathe several times, and I like the town, where you said the crime rate is low is true.

But do enjoy your stay! :thumb:

LVNHACK
09-13-2004, 07:59 PM
Welecome to the PLanet, kick back enjoy......... :thumb:

Frazod
Welcome aboard, Sarge. :toast:

Saulbadguy
Glad to see you moved in on the right side of the border :D

LVNHACK
09-13-2004, 08:02 PM
BTW Sarge.......Stay away from the people that wear purple & white.....They're aggressive homosexuals........

Phobia
Welcome aboard. I'm kinda new to the area myself, though moving from the opposite direction; Texas.

I like it thus far, but I haven't seen a winter for about 15 years. We'll see how this one goes.

Coach
BTW Sarge.......Stay away from the people that wear purple & white.....They're aggressive homosexuals........

Ooooo, low blow.

Jenson71
09-13-2004, 08:04 PM
Sorry to hear about the move, Rich. Good luck though.

unlurking
09-13-2004, 08:08 PM
Be forewarned about one more driving quirk in KC.

You'll be driving along at a good clip, and a mile down the road you'll see a car pull up to an intersection from your right. That person will sit there and wait until you are about to go through the intersection an pull out right in front of you.

Used to happen to me every day. Very annoying.