PDA

View Full Version : Carolina vs. Chiefs discussion thread...

Chiefs Pantalones
09-13-2004, 10:11 PM
Thoughts n' stuff?

Predictions, you know the drill...

Looks like we got helped out by watching that last part, Smith looks injured badly, sad to say.

Anyway, we gonna be 1-1 or 0-2? :thumb:

David.
09-13-2004, 10:13 PM
we'll win 74-1. I can feel it.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2004, 10:15 PM
Steve Smith was carted off the field after injuring his leg...so that could have a huge effect on the game.

I think our defense will play much better for a few reasons:

1. Arrowhead crowd
2. Gunther got a great look at what we can and can't do with our players, and what needs to be fixed
3. Delhomme can't run around like Plummer.

I think the passing game will be better because:

1. Trent Green rarely has back-to-back poor games.
2. Morton and Kennison another week in practice.
3. Carolina's defensive secondary is not as good as Denver's. Nor do they have an answer for Tony G.

A key matchup for me is Welbourn vs Julius Peppers. We have to get a better game out of Welbourn, or Trent could be in for a long day.

I'll throw out Chiefs 28 Panthers 21.

Hammock Parties
09-13-2004, 10:24 PM
Steve Smith may have a broken ankle.

OldTownChief
09-13-2004, 10:26 PM
Steve Smith was carted off the field after injuring his leg...so that could have a huge effect on the game.

I think our defense will play much better for a few reasons:

1. Arrowhead crowd
2. Gunther got a great look at what we can and can't do with our players, and what needs to be fixed
3. Delhomme can't run around like Plummer.

I think the passing game will be better because:

1. Trent Green rarely has back-to-back poor games.
2. Morton and Kennison another week in practice.
3. Carolina's defensive secondary is not as good as Denver's. Nor do they have an answer for Tony G.

A key matchup for me is Welbourn vs Julius Peppers. We have to get a better game out of Welbourn, or Trent could be in for a long day.

I'll throw out Chiefs 28 Panthers 21.

Or a very short day. What did Carolina have last year, about amillion sacks?

Hammock Parties
09-13-2004, 10:30 PM
Or a very short day. What did Carolina have last year, about amillion sacks?

40. But they have a damn good D-Line.

CBs are Ricky Manning Jr and rookie Chris Gamble.

LBs Will Witherspoon, Mark Fields and Dan Morgan.

None of them can cover Tony G. I bet we can burn Gamble a few times with Kennison.

foxman
09-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Smith broken Fibula probaby out 8-10 weeks.

foxman
09-13-2004, 10:37 PM
No way this game is as easy as you all seem to think it will be although I think we catch a big break with Smith out.

Nzoner
09-13-2004, 10:45 PM
Nothing to do with the game,however,I'm thinking we'll see more than a few Mike Rucker jerseys as Rucker is a graduate of St Joseph Benton.

You said thoughts.

FloridaMan88
09-13-2004, 11:05 PM
NFC teams have rarely won at Arrowhead the past 15 years or so. The last NFC team to win at Arrowhead (I think I could be wrong though) was Philly in 2001 on that Thursday night game.

Looking at Carolina tonight I wasn't impressed at all with their team and the Chiefs and Packers are almost mirror images of each other.

Obviously Favre is better than Trent Green, but their passing game doesn't really have any big time playmaker at WR and they feature the TE and a multi-dimensional RB like the Chiefs do. They were able to run all over Carolina's defense (much like the Chiefs will be able to do) and that opened up the playaction passing game (much like it will for the Chiefs).

Carolina's running game scares me a little, but their offensive line isn't anything close to what Denver's was so I think the Chiefs will get to Delhomme a lot and force a number of turnovers.

I think the Chiefs win by at least a double digits on Sunday

HolmeZz
09-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Obviously Favre is better than Trent Green...

Only if Trent decides to play like Sunday night.

Rausch
09-13-2004, 11:07 PM
Smith broken Fibula probaby out 8-10 weeks.

I still think we only win by 3 or 7.

Both the offense and the defense have kinks to work out...

Garcia Bronco
09-13-2004, 11:08 PM
Loser is 0-2...I'd hate to stare down that barel.

Rausch
09-13-2004, 11:12 PM
Loser is 0-2...I'd hate to stare down that barel.

Our schedule is not kind. If we somehow get it together and make the playoffs there's no doubt we will have earned it.

KevB
09-13-2004, 11:14 PM
With Steve Smith out, and with Carolina's anemic running game tonight (and ensuing loss)....we'll see a very heavy dose of Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster. It will be a straight up run game, no "gimmicks" with the boots and cut blocks. This game will really tell us where we are in our run defense.

philfree
09-13-2004, 11:23 PM
The Chiefs D is tons better at home then on the road. Double that compared to on the road at Denver.

The Pack just ripped the Panthers in their house on Monday Night Football. A short week going on the road to Arrowhead for the Chiefs Home Opener is gonna be tough. Add that to the fact that we are coming off a defeat to the Donks and it spells trouble for the Panthers.

Chiefs bounce back big.

PhilFree :arrow:

2bikemike
09-13-2004, 11:23 PM
The Panthers did not impress me tonight and I picked em to beat GB. If they play like they did tonight we should win.

I doubt seriously that we play like we did Sunday night. Being at home will have the team amped up and ready to go. Look for Gun to throw a bunch of blitzes at em the way GB did.

I am still concerned about our receiving corps. I wonder how much pain Tony is playing with I really expected more.

If we can't get the recieving corps going next week I think they better give Richard Smith a chance to jump start the guys.

DaWolf
09-14-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm worried. This defense has done nothing to prove to me that they are capapble of slowing down a running attack like the Panthers pose, or having the ability to presssure a QB consistently even if the QB has a "patchwork" offensive line. If we are able to accomplish neither of those tasks sunday, it will be a long game, because Carolina has the ability to play better on D than they did against the Packers and could slow our ground game down. If Green isn't on in this game, we lose.

I don't think either the Panthers or us can be judged based on one game. However I do see Green having a better game, assuming the OL doesn't get it's ass handed to it again when we pass, and if we stop the big play runs, with HFA, we ought to win this game. Should be close...

KcMizzou
09-14-2004, 01:09 AM
I am still concerned about our receiving corps. I wonder how much pain Tony is playing with I really expected more.

If we can't get the recieving corps going next week I think they better give Richard Smith a chance to jump start the guys. I agree. Wouldn't it have been nice if TG had taken time out of his vacation to have that foot surgery? :grr:

That being said... I fully expect we'll bounce back stong at home. Chiefs 27 Panthers 17

ChiefJustice
09-14-2004, 01:26 AM
The Panthers did not impress me tonight and I picked em to beat GB. If they play like they did tonight we should win.

I doubt seriously that we play like we did Sunday night. Being at home will have the team amped up and ready to go. Look for Gun to throw a bunch of blitzes at em the way GB did.

If we can't get the recieving corps going next week I think they better give Richard Smith a chance to jump start the guys.

I agree.Carolina's secondary can be beaten.IMO Smith has to play,if only
for the fact that they have no film on him.

Welbourne is going to be a pain in my side (and Trent) until he learns
to hold his man for more than a 1/10th of a second.

Defense needs to blitz just like GB did.Not just on obvious passing
downs...run blitzes with Fujita will go a long way to shutting Carolina down.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 05:21 AM
Welbourn will be fine.

He just need to cut out the penalties.

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2004, 07:00 AM
I'm worried. This defense has done nothing to prove to me that they are capapble of slowing down a running attack like the Panthers pose, or having the ability to presssure a QB consistently even if the QB has a "patchwork" offensive line. If we are able to accomplish neither of those tasks sunday, it will be a long game, because Carolina has the ability to play better on D than they did against the Packers and could slow our ground game down. If Green isn't on in this game, we lose.

I don't think either the Panthers or us can be judged based on one game. However I do see Green having a better game, assuming the OL doesn't get it's ass handed to it again when we pass, and if we stop the big play runs, with HFA, we ought to win this game. Should be close...

Green had plenty of time on several occasions. He choked badly. He looked scared and unsure of himself. The Denver D had them pegged on every passing play. Green acted like he did not know what to do.

jspchief
09-14-2004, 07:09 AM
Green had plenty of time on several occasions. He choked badly. He looked scared and unsure of himself. The Denver D had them pegged on every passing play. Green acted like he did not know what to do.

Coming from the moron who said we should bench Green for Collins because of that deep sack he took...:shake: It's hard to throw the ball to guys that are blanketed.

Our D should match up much better against the Panthers,. Davis is more of a downhill runner and doesn't have the cutback ability of Griffin. Our D was solid against the run when it wasn't misdirection. Besides that, we don't have to worry about the QB bootlegging us to death. I expect a much better showing.

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2004, 07:11 AM
Coming from the moron who said we should bench Green for Collins because of that deep sack he took...:shake: It's hard to throw the ball to guys that are blanketed.

Our D should match up much better against the Panthers,. Davis is more of a downhill runner and doesn't have the cutback ability of Griffin. Our D was solid against the run when it wasn't misdirection. Besides that, we don't have to worry about the QB bootlegging us to death. I expect a much better showing.

MichaelH
09-14-2004, 07:12 AM
I think our offense will bounce back nicely. I am concerned about the Panther's defensive line, they are monsters. It will be a great test for our O-line to keep Trent upright all day. I agree that they will run, run and run Davis and Foster up the middle all day long. The D looks better against the run and I think we'll stuff them, although they'll get bruised heavily. Also, we can't have any turnovers.
My prediction: Chiefs 28
Panthers 17

shakesthecat
09-14-2004, 07:13 AM
Delhomme has never started a game in Arrowhead.
The Panthers are screwed.

KC will come out breathing fire.
Chiefs win in a blow out, 35-14.

Joy returns to ChiefPlanet.

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2004, 07:15 AM

Jerk, if you are going to quote me get it right. My comment was, if Green is too scared to do his job, set his ass on the bench.

Our D will continue to have troubles..., this week, Wesley, Warfield and Holliday are out.........Allen, Pile and Bartee the replacements. Where do you think that puts us against the Panthers.

KC Jones
09-14-2004, 07:20 AM
Denver quite possibly has the best CB corps in the league. Carolina's may not be the worst but they aren't all that good. Their strength is the front 7 and especially the pass rush their front 4 tend to generate. IMO that means we need to do two things:

1) Line Dunn up next to Welbourne and keep him there all night to give him some outside help.

2) Use plenty of screens, draws, dump offs to Priest to keep them from getting too aggressive.

If we can do that, I think we can get the ball to our WRs and to TG downfield.

On the other side of the ball I think we'll see a statement from our defense. Carolina will be a better match to the downhill aggressive defense Gunther put in than Denver's zone-blocking cutback-bootleg based system. Add that we'll be playing in Arrowhead and I think we may just tear the Panthers apart.

Chiefs roll 38 -13

:D

ChiefJustice
09-14-2004, 07:26 AM
Green scared to do his job?

Did i read that right?

Man,I thought Logical was bad.

Here...this belongs to you...

http://www.fxtra.com/el0006/images/birthdaycake.jpg

Kraut
09-14-2004, 07:27 AM
Carolina looked like only a shell of what they were at the end of last season. Add on to that the fact that Smith is down for the season most likely and that adds up to a Chiefs win. Keep the pressure off of Trent Green and he should do fine. And we all know the Priest is gonna get his. Chiefs 24 Panthers 10

the Talking Can
09-14-2004, 07:28 AM
Carolina is better than Denver.

Our best defender is out- Wesley.

We can't stop bad running games, much less good ones.

Their best offensive player is out, which sucks, but is a huge break for us.

If Smith were playing I'd say we definetly lose. Without Smith, we win by a TD or less. Our D gets run over just like always....the same excuses are heard everywhere.

Warrior5
09-14-2004, 07:29 AM
Very interested to see Naptown Chief analyze this matchup.

I'm not going to get into the "must-win" debate concerning this game, but I will say this is a playoff litmus test. Again, the F7 MUST stop the run. I'm assuming a run-heavy O from Carolina (Davis & Foster).

If the F7 can contain the run, AND our real O shows up (instead of the pod people who played last Sunday) this should be a double digit W for the Chiefs.

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2004, 07:31 AM
[QUOTE=ChiefJustice]Green scared to do his job?

Did i read that right?

Looked scared to me

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
Carolina is better than Denver.

Our best defender is out- Wesley.

We can't stop bad running games, much less good ones.

Their best offensive player is out, which sucks, but is a huge break for us.

If Smith were playing I'd say we definetly lose. Without Smith, we win by a TD or less. Our D gets run over just like always....the same excuses are heard everywhere.

Wesley is out? When did this happen?

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 07:32 AM
[QUOTE=ChiefJustice]Green scared to do his job?

Did i read that right?

Looked scared to me

That's because you're cross-eyed. Doofus.

KC Jones
09-14-2004, 07:33 AM
Damn, I don't understand all the Trent Bashing?!?!

Did you guys see that throw to Kennison in the first half? He got absolutely leveled while making the delivery. He got knocked down more times in that game than nearly all of last year. His receivers were never open. He was throwing practically perfect strikes out there - putting the ball where it exactly had to be but the coverage was too tight. How many passes were just barely deflected or came off the receivers fingertips? Almost nobody in this league besides Champ Bailey would have made that INT - that was an incredible jump to get to that ball and it would have dropped perfectly for TG. Denver was incredibly well prepared. They knew the routes our WRs were going to try to run better than the WRs did.

There aren't very many QBs in this league who would have done as good of a job as he did the other night under the cicrumstances. I really don't get these comparisons to Grbac - their not even close.

the Talking Can
09-14-2004, 07:34 AM
Wesley is out? When did this happen?

the teicher article on the defense says Holliday/Wesley and Warfield are doubtful...

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 07:35 AM
the teicher article on the defense says Holliday/Wesley and Warfield are doubtful...

well ****...

Holliday ain't a big loss, but the other two are HUGE.

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2004, 07:37 AM
well ****...

Holliday ain't a big loss, but the other two are HUGE.

especialy when there back ups are pile and bartee.......bartee will be playing with a concussion

Brock
09-14-2004, 07:37 AM

Questionable. And if Holliday was OUT FOR SEASON, I wouldn't really care.

StcChief
09-14-2004, 07:38 AM
Panthers looked very beatable last night.

Without Smith aren't they a 'one trick poney' with running game.

D will be better controlled blitzes, much like GreenBay did keeps Delhomme on the run all day.
I agree about Dunn next to Welbourne if he is having trouble.

Chiefs 27 Panthers 14

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 07:48 AM
especialy when there back ups are pile and bartee.......bartee will be playing with a concussion

Bartee said concussion. The team says neck sprain.

:hmmm:

jspchief
09-14-2004, 07:48 AM
Jerk, if you are going to quote me get it right. My comment was, if Green is too scared to do his job, set his ass on the bench.

Our D will continue to have troubles..., this week, Wesley, Warfield and Holliday are out.........Allen, Pile and Bartee the replacements. Where do you think that puts us against the Panthers.
Look a-hole, I don't give a rip what the exact quote was. Anyone that starts talking about benching a Pro-Bowl QB after one bad game is a f*cking moron. You're ignoring the fact that our WRs couldn't get open all night (including Gonzo), and Welbourn provided very shaky pass protection in the first half. My guess is that you have some ridiculous agenda against Green, because any sane Chiefs fan that has watched him play over the last two years would not even consider benching him after one game.

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2004, 08:14 AM
Look a-hole, I don't give a rip what the exact quote was. Anyone that starts talking about benching a Pro-Bowl QB after one bad game is a f*cking moron. You're ignoring the fact that our WRs couldn't get open all night (including Gonzo), and Welbourn provided very shaky pass protection in the first half. My guess is that you have some ridiculous agenda against Green, because any sane Chiefs fan that has watched him play over the last two years would not even consider benching him after one game.
jackass-
I said do your damn job or get off the feild......is that clear enough for you? He had plenty of time to do something on several plays were he did nothing. He better learn to read the D set and call an audible.....ya think?

KC Jones
09-14-2004, 08:19 AM
jackass-
I said do your damn job or get off the feild......is that clear enough for you? He had plenty of time to do something on several plays were he did nothing. He better learn to read the D set and call an audible.....ya think?

You really think Todd "dumpoff" Collins would have rallied the team to victory?

King_Chief_Fan
09-14-2004, 08:22 AM
You really think Todd "dumpoff" Collins would have rallied the team to victory?
NO......but that was not my point.

jspchief
09-14-2004, 08:24 AM
jackass-

Oh. Is that what you're trying to say. In that case, you're right.

No, on second thought you're still a moron. Using your reasoning, we also need to bench Tony Gonzales. Put down the bong and step away from the weed Ricky.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 08:29 AM
NO......but that was not my point.

No, it wasn't your point.

Because you didn't have one.

foxman
09-14-2004, 09:29 AM
You to need to get a room and get it over with. Benching Green is moronic and there was no fear in Green, thats rediculous. Green was as cool and calm as ever, sometimes that frustrates me. At least in watching Delhomme last night there was fire.

Either way we lost to a good team in their house, but we have 15 left so get over it. I think the Chiefs can beat Carolina, but if anyone thinks this will be easy or that we can win by just showing up they are in for a rude awakening. I think there are intangibles that will come into the Chiefs winning the game. The Panthers have a short week and have to travel. Therefor they wont have as much time to gameplan and implement schemes. That said they will be playing with a lot of intensity, focus and just downright pi$$iness. I would suggest the Chiefs gameplan to out physical them and not try so much of a finess type of game.