PDA

View Full Version : Teicher: No quick fix for Chiefs' defense

tk13
09-14-2004, 01:06 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/9656543.htm

No quick fix for Chiefs

Defense faces same problems from last year

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star

Aware it can take time to build a defense from scratch, the Chiefs had a modest goal for Sunday's season opener in Denver.

They just wanted to be better in Gunther Cunningham's return as defensive coordinator than they were last season.

“I sure didn't expect 200 yards rushing when you have a whole summer and a whole camp to prepare for a game,” defensive tackle Ryan Sims said after emerging Monday from an extended team video session with Cunningham. “That's enough time, I think. It's very disappointing.

“But the first game doesn't define the defense and won't define this defense. It just lets you know where you are, where you stand.”

Defensively, the Chiefs stand in much the same place as last year after the 34-24 loss to the Broncos. The 30th-ranked rushing defense last season, the Chiefs are tied for 30th with New England after the first week of play.

They couldn't stop the Broncos at the game's crucial juncture when Denver went on a 7-minute-plus fourth-quarter touchdown drive that salted the game away.

So it's going to take more time to fix what ails the Chiefs' defense than anyone hoped. But how much time will it take? Can they find solutions in time for Sunday's home opener against defending NFC champion Carolina?

Coach Dick Vermeil was in search of answers Monday.

“Each offense … presents a different problem and a different scheme,” he said. “I expect us to be a lot better this next week than we were (last) week.”

Vermeil also expected better in Denver, but what he saw was frightening. Defenders lined up in the wrong spots and others missed assignments. The Chiefs reverted to their old way of doing things.

“It's like anything that's new,” Vermeil said. “It's hard to do it the new way all the time. You tend to respond the way you have responded in the past. Some of that did occur. Denver created some of that with their scheme and their game plan.”

The Broncos ran some plays like the quarterback sweep and bootlegs the Chiefs didn't defend well. But they don't figure to see those plays again until possibly the Dec. 19 rematch at Arrowhead Stadium because none of their upcoming opponents, except for Atlanta and Michael Vick, has a mobile quarterback like Denver's Jake Plummer.

“There aren't many quarterbacks who move like he does,” Vermeil said. “I don't know who we play next that's like him. They are not afraid to put him at risk. They ran quarterback sweeps and ran naked (bootlegs), and if you run a blitz and knock him down, he'll come back and run it again. They're not worried he's going to get hit in the mouth. That their philosophy and it works for them.”

The Chiefs have plenty of NFL company in trying to piece together a new defense. They are but one of 15 NFL teams with a new defensive coordinator.

But judging by the results of the opening weekend, the Chiefs are lagging on the curve. The Chiefs allowed more points and rushing yards (202) than any of those 14 other teams and more total yards than all but three.

The Chiefs are also one of the few teams not to make any significant personnel moves on defense. That also may be a factor.

“It was horrible,” Sims said. “We'd have flashes of greatness, and then we'd just resort back to missed assignments, mental errors. We go over things like that every day. A team like Denver will cut you up if you do that. Things will go from bad to worse. It's nothing that's unfixable. That's the positive side of it.

“You can't ask our offense to score more than they scored (Sunday) night. You're not going to win many games if you ask them to score more than 24 points, especially on the road.”

The Chiefs have reason for hope in that last season, many of their problems stemmed from defenders getting pushed off the ball and whipped physically.

“There was none of that (Sunday) night,” Sims said. “That's why all of these things are fixable.”

If they are to make gains against the Panthers, the Chiefs might have to do it without as many as three injured defensive starters. Vermeil indicated defensive end Vonnie Holliday (groin), strong safety Greg Wesley (hamstring) and cornerback Eric Warfield (knee) would all be questionable to play.

All were injured in Denver. Holliday would be replaced by rookie Jared Allen, Wesley by Willie Pile and Warfield by William Bartee. Bartee should play despite receiving an injury he called a concussion but the Chiefs called a sprained neck.

Middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell could return to practice Wednesday and may play Sunday. Vermeil said the Chiefs were encouraged by the play of his replacement, Monty Beisel, who probably will keep the starting job for the time being.

KcMizzou
09-14-2004, 01:15 AM
But judging by the results of the opening weekend, the Chiefs are lagging on the curve. The Chiefs allowed more points and rushing yards (202) than any of those 14 other teams and more total yards than all but three.

The Chiefs are also one of the few teams not to make any significant personnel moves on defense. That also may be a factor. Ouch.... ya think?

2bikemike
09-14-2004, 01:27 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/9656543.htm

Middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell could return to practice Wednesday and may play Sunday. Vermeil said the Chiefs were encouraged by the play of his replacement, Monty Beisel, who probably will keep the starting job for the time being.

Yeah I am thinking the job is Beisels to lose.

Redcoats58
09-14-2004, 03:38 AM
I hope if and when our defense improves that it is not only at home like last season. I hope Gunther is dropping every cuss word on these guys all week. If those players are questionable they will probably play, although I could care less if Holliday plays or not. I say put Browning on the end and let Jared Allen in on the rotation.

ChiefJustice
09-14-2004, 04:03 AM
The Broncos ran some plays like the quarterback sweep and bootlegs the Chiefs didn't defend well. But they don't figure to see those plays again until possibly the Dec. 19 rematch at Arrowhead Stadium because none of their upcoming opponents, except for Atlanta and Michael Vick, has a mobile quarterback like Denver's Jake Plummer.

Umm...every team we play now is going to try the bootleg.It's money all day long against KC.

Nelson Muntz
09-14-2004, 04:51 AM
Umm...every team we play now is going to try the bootleg.It's money all day long against KC.

Thats what I'm afraid of. Hell even with the most immobile QB he could still gain an average of at least 5 yards with as open as it was againste denver.

the Talking Can
09-14-2004, 07:15 AM
Vermeil also expected better in Denver, but what he saw was frightening. Defenders lined up in the wrong spots and others missed assignments. The Chiefs reverted to their old way of doing things.

super-duper

teedubya
09-14-2004, 07:19 AM
Naked Bootlegs... that should be a banned word on this forum.

C-Mac
09-14-2004, 07:41 AM

They might try it, but with the exception of Vick, most we play dont have the quickness to pull it off sucessfully.

Brock
09-14-2004, 07:45 AM
We simply have stupid players. It's going to be a problem.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 07:56 AM

Our players will learn as time goes on. It's going to be a bigger problem early in the season, while they're still reverting back to what they learned under Robinson...

Brock
09-14-2004, 07:58 AM
Our players will learn as time goes on. It's going to be a bigger problem early in the season, while they're still reverting back to what they learned under Robinson...

I agree. I'm hoping for a major improvement around mid season, when things really start to matter.

Chiefnj
09-14-2004, 09:04 AM
I wasn't aware Wesley and Warfield were questionable. Those are big losses. I assume Bartee is out as well. That's a lot of backups having to play in the secondary.

Mark M
09-14-2004, 09:10 AM

I thought the same thing as I watched the game. If the scheme is "simplified," then why in the hell is it so difficult to learn?

What ticked me off the most is that KC didn't have a "spy" on Plummer -- IMHO, they should've had Fuj shadow Jake on every play.

This would basically involve Fujita blitzing on every down, but if that means no more of the wide-open rollouts, I'm all for it.

And if Denver puts 5-wide out there, then play a zone behind it. That should prevent having a freaking linebacker cover Rod Smith.

MM
~~:banghead:

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 09:31 AM
I wasn't aware Wesley and Warfield were questionable. Those are big losses. I assume Bartee is out as well. That's a lot of backups having to play in the secondary.

Bartee is going to be starting in place of Warfield.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 09:33 AM
I thought the same thing as I watched the game. If the scheme is "simplified," then why in the hell is it so difficult to learn?

What ticked me off the most is that KC didn't have a "spy" on Plummer -- IMHO, they should've had Fuj shadow Jake on every play.

This would basically involve Fujita blitzing on every down, but if that means no more of the wide-open rollouts, I'm all for it.

And if Denver puts 5-wide out there, then play a zone behind it. That should prevent having a freaking linebacker cover Rod Smith.

MM
~~:banghead:

The defense is simplified. According to the coaches, the players are making it complicated -- they're having trouble getting the Robinson system out of their heads and are "reverting" back to read and react.

As for playing zone, we tried that. That's what we were doing with the linebacker -- bumping him at the line and releasing him into a 2-deep zone.

Our safeties can't play cover 2. In fact, they flat out suck at it.

Mark M
09-14-2004, 11:05 AM
The defense is simplified. According to the coaches, the players are making it complicated -- they're having trouble getting the asshat's system out of their heads and are "reverting" back to read and react.

I understand this, and can even see how that could happen. But these guys are professionals, right? They've had an entire off-season to learn, right? They had four pre-season games to get it down, right?

So if all of that is right, why did the defense look so wrong?

As for playing zone, we tried that. That's what we were doing with the linebacker -- bumping him at the line and releasing him into a 2-deep zone.

Our safeties can't play cover 2. In fact, they flat out suck at it.

Seems to me that the entire defense flat-out sucks at everything they try to do. :)

But one would think that sending Fuj would at least create some pressure, thus helping the secondary. Of course, one could very well be wrong ...

MM
~~:shrug: :arrow:

Chiefnj
09-14-2004, 11:11 AM
Bartee is going to be starting in place of Warfield.

I thought he seriously strained his immovable neck??