PDA

View Full Version : OT: Has anyone been prescribed an SSRI?

Fat Elvis
09-14-2004, 08:09 AM
OK, as most of you know, I've kind of been freaking out a little bit lately so I went to see the doctor yesterday for my annual physical. While there, I tell him about all my anxiety and he recommends a drug called Lexapro which is an SSRI that is supposed to have little to no side effects. I get my prescription filled, go home and pop one of the pills. About two hours later I'm feeling like I'm tripping on acid without the visuals. I mean I am totally out of whack. A few hours later, I'm feeling pretty good, but it was an artificial good, but good nonetheless. What I am wondering is if anyone has taken any type of drug in this class, if you've had any side effects and how long have they lasted. I don't know if this is something I want to go through as I really feel out of touch.

Any experiences?

Thanks

Fat E

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 08:13 AM
Yep. Lexapro, Paxil, Prozac, Effexor, Zoloft, and Celexa.

I've taken SSRI's, MAOI's, tri-cyclics, and several others.

SSRI's usually have lighter side effects -- I'm surprised you feel like you're "tripping", generally that's more prevalent with tri-cyclics like Amitryptilene.

The number 1 side effect of alot of SSRI's is ejaculatory delay or dysfunction. It can be a real pain...

seclark
09-14-2004, 08:18 AM

The number 1 side effect of alot of SSRI's is ejaculatory delay or dysfunction. It can be a real pain...

this is true...keep good communication w/your doc, and good luck.
sec

LVNHACK
09-14-2004, 08:20 AM
How much are you taking.....????

the Talking Can
09-14-2004, 08:21 AM
Everyone's body reacts differently. I wouldn't panic, but I'd let your doctor know. Usually it takes a couple of weeks before any real effects can be noticed from the drugs.

I'd also meet with a psychiatrist or psychologist. Imho, just taking drugs isn't the best way to deal with it.

Glad your getting some help.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 08:22 AM
How much are you taking.....????

Even if he takes several (like 6 to 10) I wouldn't think he'd feel like he was "tripping".

Then again we're talking about regulating levels of dopamine and seratonin in the brain. Each person is a little different.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 08:24 AM
Everyone's body reacts differently. I wouldn't panic, but I'd let your doctor know. Usually it takes a couple of weeks before any real effects can be noticed from the drugs.

I'd also meet with a psychiatrist or psychologist. Imho, just taking drugs isn't the best way to deal with it.

Glad your getting some help.

I ABSOLUTELY agree.

My medical doctor started me on psych meds in junior high, without much supervision from a shrink. It was my first foray into "drugs". Prescribed meds led to unprescribed (black market) meds, which led to street drugs, addiction, and alot of heart ache for me, my family, and my friends.

I have since been through intensive counseling and have been drug-free (including medications) for years.

Fat Elvis
09-14-2004, 08:32 AM
I've gone down the drug abuse road before which is why I was pretty alarmed by how my body reacted to these meds. I think I am hyper sensitive to medication and that is why my body was thrown for a loop. Right now, i don't know which is worse, feeling extreme anxiety or feeling like I can't function like I normally would.

FWIW, I'm currently taking .25mg Klonopin 2x/day and I'm supposed to take 10mg of Lexapro 1x/day.

NewChief
09-14-2004, 08:32 AM
I ABSOLUTELY agree.

My medical doctor started me on psych meds in junior high, without much supervision from a shrink. It was my first foray into "drugs". Prescribed meds led to unprescribed (black market) meds, which led to street drugs, addiction, and alot of heart ache for me, my family, and my friends.

I have since been through intensive counseling and have been drug-free (including medications) for years.

A study just came out validating the fact that counseling in combination with meds is way, way (like 50%) more effective than meds only. The study involved over the phone counseling, of all things, and it still showed that it was more effective. What was surprising was how effective counseling, without medication, was. It was more effective than just meds and not much less effective than counseling combined with meds.

the Talking Can
09-14-2004, 08:33 AM
I ABSOLUTELY agree.

I think it is questionable that general practitioners can prescribe these drugs like aspirin. I was able to get off the drugs (which was the plan from the begining) because a therapist helped me figure out was ****ing my head up, then we agreed I didn't need the drugs any more.

Non-pysch. doctors have no clue when you should start or stop, and my worry is that the drugs are taken for much longer periods of time than would be neccessary.

The goal should always be to live a healthy life without the need for thsese drugs. That isn't always possible. Some people will need them forever, or maybe on and off. But you should always be working towards a healthy mind.

stevieray
09-14-2004, 08:42 AM
Man, I feel for ya...I hope this works out...please be careful.

did all this start after making the decision about the house?

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 08:44 AM
I've gone down the drug abuse road before which is why I was pretty alarmed by how my body reacted to these meds. I think I am hyper sensitive to medication and that is why my body was thrown for a loop. Right now, i don't know which is worse, feeling extreme anxiety or feeling like I can't function like I normally would.

FWIW, I'm currently taking .25mg Klonopin 2x/day and I'm supposed to take 10mg of Lexapro 1x/day.

Well, holy crap, you didn't say you were taking a benzodiazepine.

Klonopin most assuredly could have the effect you are talking about -- lethargy, dizziness, "tripping".

NewChief
09-14-2004, 08:47 AM

I know you'd self-prescribed the Klonopin. Did you tell the Dr. that prescribed the Lexapro that you were taking it as well? Combining meds can get some wacky side effects.

Fat Elvis
09-14-2004, 09:03 AM
Man, I feel for ya...I hope this works out...please be careful.

did all this start after making the decision about the house?

It had been building up for a while; I think the house was the straw that broke the camel's back.

stevieray
09-14-2004, 09:08 AM
It had been building up for a while; I think the house was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I can understand, you're reaching a big turning point in your life. alot of repsonsibility and committment, Try not to get too overwhelmed with it.

Fear is a killer of many things.

False Expectations Appearing Real.

Uncle Fester
09-14-2004, 09:13 AM
I have been taking Paxil. The first month was a bitch.Talk about feeling weird. I felt like I was in a stupor as my body SLOWLY adjusted to the drug. It got so bad, I almost quit taking it. After I adjusted to it though everything has been good!

jspchief
09-14-2004, 09:14 AM
Mmmm...tripping...

Braincase
09-14-2004, 09:18 AM
Fat Elvis,

Get well soon - I still have some barbecue for you from Sunday...

Bob

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 09:21 AM
OK, as most of you know, I've kind of been freaking out a little bit lately so I went to see the doctor yesterday for my annual physical. While there, I tell him about all my anxiety and he recommends a drug called Lexapro which is an SSRI that is supposed to have little to no side effects. I get my prescription filled, go home and pop one of the pills. About two hours later I'm feeling like I'm tripping on acid without the visuals. I mean I am totally out of whack. A few hours later, I'm feeling pretty good, but it was an artificial good, but good nonetheless. What I am wondering is if anyone has taken any type of drug in this class, if you've had any side effects and how long have they lasted. I don't know if this is something I want to go through as I really feel out of touch.

Any experiences?

Thanks

Fat E

Well first off, everyone experiences depression and medication differently so what one person might experience could be completely different than what you do. The best thing to do is find out about the different types of side effects and then you will feel assured that what, if any, you experience is within the realm of what is 'normal' for that particular medication.

Having said that, I took Zoloft for a serious bout of postpartum depression. It was awful. I felt like a bloated zombie with no sex drive...

the medication made me gain weight, feel comfortably numb, and nun, if you know what I mean. ;)

So if adding pounds while losing your abilty to feel ANYTHING, including the desire for sex, is what you are feeling while taking the SSRI then GET OFF OF IT ASAP. There are other medications out there that are good alternatives. Wellbutrin, for instance, which I was placed on after the Zoloft fiasco and did great. The medication works on the dopamine area of the brain versus the seratonin. It gave me lots of energy, I lost weight, and one great side effect is it increases the libido...Wonderdrug??? :hmmm:

Anyway, again different people experience different things so take what everyone says with a grain of salt. But also don't disregard what you hear if it seems to match up with something you experience and feel discomfort about...get your doc to give you something else.

Good luck.

FWIW, I took one dose of Lexapro and it made me feel so wigged out I refused to take more. My eyes were bulging out, I felt REALLY impulsive, and paranoid...very UNCOOL. :shake:

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 09:38 AM
Well first off, everyone experiences depression and medication differently so what one person might experience could be completely different than what you do. The best thing to do is find out about the different types of side effects and then you will feel assured that what, if any, you experience is within the realm of what is 'normal' for that particular medication.

Having said that, I took Zoloft for a serious bout of postpartum depression. It was awful. I felt like a bloated zombie with no sex drive...

the medication made me gain weight, feel comfortably numb, and nun, if you know what I mean. ;)

So if adding pounds while losing your abilty to feel ANYTHING, including the desire for sex, is what you are feeling while taking the SSRI then GET OFF OF IT ASAP. There are other medications out there that are good alternatives. Wellbutrin, for instance, which I was placed on after the Zoloft fiasco and did great. The medication works on the dopamine area of the brain versus the seratonin. It gave me lots of energy, I lost weight, and one great side effect is it increases the libido...Wonderdrug??? :hmmm:

Anyway, again different people experience different things so take what everyone says with a grain of salt. But also don't disregard what you hear if it seems to match up with something you experience and feel discomfort about...get your doc to give you something else.

Good luck.

FWIW, I took one dose of Lexapro and it made me feel so wigged out I refused to take more. My eyes were bulging out, I felt REALLY impulsive, and paranoid...very UNCOOL. :shake:

Wellbutrin can have some side effects as well. Nauseau is pretty common.

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 09:41 AM
Wellbutrin can have some side effects as well. Nauseau is pretty common.

Yeah, I think most of them make you sort of nauseated when you first start. I think the worst side effect with Wellbutrin was a headache. But I'm not sure if it was the medicine or that I needed eyeglasses and did not realize it. :hmmm:

jspchief
09-14-2004, 09:43 AM
Blah, blah, blah, blah :shake:

Why am I not suprised that you're on medication? By the way, whatever you're taking now has delusions as a side effect. Better talk to your doctor.

BIG_DADDY
09-14-2004, 09:44 AM
Working out hard is the best drug for anxiety and the side effects are pretty good too. The problem with doctors today is they treat symptoms and not the cause.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 09:45 AM
Why am I not suprised that you're on medication? By the way, whatever you're taking now has delusions as a side effect. Better talk to your doctor.

I like to bust Denise's chops as much as the next guy, but this is a relatively serious thread in support of Fat Elvis. Let's keep the sniping to a min, okay?

Fat Elvis
09-14-2004, 09:46 AM
Well, holy crap, you didn't say you were taking a benzodiazepine.

Klonopin most assuredly could have the effect you are talking about -- lethargy, dizziness, "tripping".

I had been taking the Klonopin for a about a week without any real side effects. It was once I took the lexapro that I took a ride to the wow-wow zone.

I'm talking to my mom on the phone now and she said both her and her mother have a real high sensitivity to meds and that they often don't work the way they are supposed to. She was on Zoloft (another SSRI) for a couple of days adn it toally messed her up.

Anyone know of any natural ways to boost sertonin levels?

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 09:47 AM
Working out hard is the best drug for anxiety and the side effects are pretty good too. The problem with doctors today is they treat symptoms and not the cause.

Great point.

Eating right and exercise will "normal" the level of natural chemicals in your blood and brain. In addition, it releases endorphins, epinephrine, and adrenaline, which elevate mood in addition to many other effects.

It helps with fatigue, depression, anxiety, and all sorts of stuff.

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 09:48 AM

Wow, thank you for your concern. :rolleyes: The situation I described was 7-8 years ago. I had PPD for my mental illness...

What is YOUR excuse?

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 09:50 AM
I had been taking the Klonopin for a about a week without any real side effects. It was once I took the lexapro that I took a ride to the wow-wow zone.

I'm talking to my mom on the phone now and she said both her and her mother have a real high sensitivity to meds and that they often don't work the way they are supposed to. She was on Zoloft (another SSRI) for a couple of days adn it toally messed her up.

Anyone know of any natural ways to boost sertonin levels?

Smoking marijuana is purported to increase seratonin levels.

It's completely natural.

Of course, it's also illegal. :D

Seriously, Zoloft can have more significant side effects than some of the other SSRI's. They all have similar effects, but subtle differences.

Paxil affects sex drive and ejaculatory function MUCH more than Prozac, for instance.

I would ask your doctor about Celexa. It's one of the newest SSRI's, created with these side effects in mind. The one drawback is that it's pretty expensive, even with insurance.

Fat Elvis
09-14-2004, 09:58 AM

It's completely natural.

Seriously, Zoloft can have more significant side effects than some of the other SSRI's. They all have similar effects, but subtle differences.

Paxil affects sex drive and ejaculatory function MUCH more than Prozac, for instance.

I would ask your doctor about Celexa. It's one of the newest SSRI's, created with these side effects in mind. The one drawback is that it's pretty expensive, even with insurance.

Lexapro is the second generation of Celexa; it is supposed to have even fewer side effects. I'm just one of those people who just cna't tolerate it.

I think I'll try more exercise combined with a Vitamin b 100 complex and fish oil regimine. My mom says that seems to work for her.

Fat Elvis
09-14-2004, 10:00 AM
FWIW, I think it is pretty ironic that my rep tag says that I am drug free and readily employable given this thread....

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 10:04 AM
Lexapro is the second generation of Celexa; it is supposed to have even fewer side effects. I'm just one of those people who just cna't tolerate it.

I think I'll try more exercise combined with a Vitamin b 100 complex and fish oil regimine. My mom says that seems to work for her.

Yeah, duh.

For some reason, I was think Zoloft. You did say Lexapro.

I know of some who had good luck with Effexor. In addition to having SSRI properties, it also has some reported effect on norepinephrine levels in the brain.

I have family members who reacted to SSRI's with extreme drowsiness/lethargy and were unable to sleep well at night. Effexor worked very well for them where other SSRI's failed.

jspchief
09-14-2004, 10:07 AM
What is YOUR excuse?

I was just born this way.

KC Kings
09-14-2004, 10:09 AM

I've taken SSRI's, MAOI's, tri-cyclics, and several others.

SSRI's usually have lighter side effects -- I'm surprised you feel like you're "tripping", generally that's more prevalent with tri-cyclics like Amitryptilene.

Ejaculatory delay? Maybe I should get a prescription,,,,, for my anxiety of course.

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 10:12 AM

It's completely natural.

Yeah, the illegal thing and the weight gain thing for this drug are big downers...otherwise it's great. :bong:

NewChief
09-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Ejaculatory delay? Maybe I should get a prescription,,,,, for my anxiety of course.

I think "delay" is quite the euphemism from what I've heard. I think "total numbness and inability to feel anything in your groin" is more accurate.

Different people I know on Paxil have listed this as a serious side effect. They said their sex life went to zilch.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 10:15 AM
I think "delay" is quite the euphemism from what I've heard. I think "total numbness and inability to feel anything in your groin" is more accurate.

Different people I know on Paxil have listed this as a serious side effect. They said their sex life went to zilch.

Some people are affected with severely decreased libido and/or complete erectile dysfunction. However, that rare.

The most common side effect of Paxil in men is the ability to GET an erection but NEVER ejaculate. VERY frustrating.

BIG_DADDY
09-14-2004, 10:15 AM
Great point.

Eating right and exercise will "normal" the level of natural chemicals in your blood and brain. In addition, it releases endorphins, epinephrine, and adrenaline, which elevate mood in addition to many other effects.

It helps with fatigue, depression, anxiety, and all sorts of stuff.

The problem with technology in our evolutionary process is that it has stressed us out. Hell, electricity isn't even very old. Before people slept much more than they do now and work was much more physical. Our food intake and environment wasn't contaminated with a bunch of free radicals that destroy us and fatigue our systems on a cellular level wich also leads to serious disease. The body needs to be worked and fed correctly and almost all syptoms like depression, fatigue and anxiety can be addressed in this fasion. You might recall I said awhile back that I had a close friend in a serious bout with depression. The doctors kept prescibing drugs wich cause side effects and pollute the body. I finally took the bull by the horns and told them to ignore the doctor. Changed diet and had them work out with me 4x a week minimum. Guess what, they are like a totally new person with absolutely no signs of depression at all. In fact they are happier than I have ever known them to be. Personally I don't trust doctors and question everything they tell me. I will stay off all drugs until I absolutely have to take something or die.

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 10:16 AM

Yep. Kiss toe curling orgams good-bye...

with Zoloft, that is. I've tried the SSRIs twice and that was enough to say 'no, thanks.'

NewChief
09-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Guess what, they are like a totally new person with absolutely no signs of depression at all. In fact they are happier than I have ever known them to be.

Yup, this was my original suggestion to Fat Elvis when he first posted about the thread. I had a phase in my life where I was a real basket case: suffered from panic attacks, dwelled on negative stuff way too much, felt like I was going nuts.

That was also the time when I was more sedentary than I've been since. I did virtually nothing but sit in front of a computer or in a library. I started running, working out, and being more active; suddenly many of those problems flew out the window.

It's absolutely amazing how far a little exercise can go to making you sane. My wife and I both swear by it. The only problem now is that we both get nutty/down if we don't get to exercise regularly. There's worse problems to have, though. At least my addiction is healthy now.

BIG_DADDY
09-14-2004, 10:28 AM
Yup, this was my original suggestion to Fat Elvis when he first posted about the thread. I had a phase in my life where I was a real basket case: suffered from panic attacks, dwelled on negative stuff way too much, felt like I was going nuts.

That was also the time when I was more sedentary than I've been since. I did virtually nothing but sit in front of a computer or in a library. I started running, working out, and being more active; suddenly many of those problems flew out the window.

It's absolutely amazing how far a little exercise can go to making you sane. My wife and I both swear by it. The only problem now is that we both get nutty/down if we don't get to exercise regularly. There's worse problems to have, though. At least my addiction is healthy now.

Congratulations, it's great to see someone figure it out. Problem with people in America is we just want to take a pill to make the syptoms go away instead of dealing with the underlying problem. My next step is to really concentrate on getting more organic greens in my diet. I need at least 3 servings a day. I am looking into growing my own wheatgrass currently to help in that area.

NewChief
09-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Congratulations, it's great to see someone figure it out. Problem with people in America is we just want to take a pill to make the syptoms go away instead of dealing with the underlying problem. My next step is to really concentrate on getting more organic greens in my diet. I need at least 3 servings a day. I am looking into growing my own wheatgrass currently to help in that area.

There are a lot of organic mixed green packages out there on the market. Picking up those and having a small side salad should help with that, though I get pretty sick of salads pretty quickly. Then throwing a little wheatgrass into a protein drink will give you two.

My wife is a freak for organics and health foods, so I get quite a bit of that stuff.

KC Kings
09-14-2004, 10:31 AM
The problem with technology in our evolutionary process is that it has stressed us out. Hell, electricity isn't even very old. Before people slept much more than they do now and work was much more physical. Our food intake and environment wasn't contaminated with a bunch of free radicals that destroy us and fatigue our systems on a cellular level wich also leads to serious disease. The body needs to be worked and fed correctly and almost all syptoms like depression, fatigue and anxiety can be addressed in this fasion. You might recall I said awhile back that I had a close friend in a serious bout with depression. The doctors kept prescibing drugs wich cause side effects and pollute the body. I finally took the bull by the horns and told them to ignore the doctor. Changed diet and had them work out with me 4x a week minimum. Guess what, they are like a totally new person with absolutely no signs of depression at all. In fact they are happier than I have ever known them to be. Personally I don't trust doctors and question everything they tell me. I will stay off all drugs until I absolutely have to take something or die.

I think physical excercise has tons to do with it. I have friends from all walks of life, and don't know of any bluecollar guys that have any kind of problems with stress or depression, even though they have more to worry about making ends meet.

I know for me, nothing makes feel worse than a bad day at the office. Your brain feels like you have worked, yet I have sat on my ass behind a desk all day long so my body isn't physically tired. Most weeks I am pretty pissy by Friday, but when the weekend comes and I can spend some time doing manually labor and making making my body physically tired, I wake up in the morning refreshed and back to normal.

Otter
09-14-2004, 10:38 AM
Yeah, the illegal thing and the weight gain thing for this drug are big downers...otherwise it's great. :bong:

Never gave me a weight gain problem. Hell, I'd still smoke I just have no connections that would be worth dealing with anymore.

It's amazing how much more complicated life gets as we get older isn't it. Not only that but we intentionally put ourselves in these high pressure situations.

Just thinking out loud.

BIG_DADDY
09-14-2004, 11:08 AM
BTW, here is a good page for beginning to understand free radicals for anyone interested.

http://www.healthchecksystems.com/antioxid.htm

memyselfI
09-14-2004, 04:08 PM
Never gave me a weight gain problem. Hell, I'd still smoke I just have no connections that would be worth dealing with anymore.

It's amazing how much more complicated life gets as we get older isn't it. Not only that but we intentionally put ourselves in these high pressure situations.

Just thinking out loud.

Well the drug itself didn't cause the weight problem...

it did cause the munchies which in turn was a problem. :thumb:

4th and Long
09-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Hey "E" take it from a guy who works with meds every day, Lexapro has a long list of side effects, some of which include, but are not limited to,
Insomnia
Diarrhea
Dry Mouth
Somnolence (sleepiness or drowsiness)
Dizziness
Increased Sweating
Constipation
Fatigue
Indigestion
Ejaculation Disorder :eek:
Decreased Libido (decreased sex drive) (both male and female)
Impotence :eek:
Influenza-Like Symptoms (flu-like symptoms)
Appetite Decreased
Rhinitis (runny nose)
Sinusitis (inflammation of the sinuses)
Possible Impairment of Fertility (disability to get pregnant)
Danger of Birth Defects (Pregnant Females)
Passing of Drug to Nursing Babies
Danger to Patients With History of Mania (suicides rates have dramatically increased in patients taking SSRIs. See below.)
Danger to Patients with History of Seizures
Danger to Patients with Suicidal Tendencies (note: Drugs such as Lexapro have been present in numerous suicide cases, although drug companies have denied the drugs as causes.)
Interference with operation of machinery including automobiles
Impairment of Judgment
Priapism (males) (Persistent, usually painful erection of the penis, especially as a consequence of disease and not related to sexual arousal)

Not many side effects the doc says. PPPPPPFFFFFTTTTT! Horse-Hockey!

The three greatest lies in my line of work are,
1. Your check is in the mail.
2. I'll still respect you in the morning.
3. This drug has next to no side effects. :rolleyes:

Report your problems to your doctor immediately. If he gives you the old, "Oh don't worry. That's normal, bla bla bla" routine, FIND A NEW PHYSICIAN!

Good luck bud. :)

End of speech.