PDA

View Full Version : Why not move Shields to RT and Welby to RG?

BigChiefFan
09-14-2004, 12:08 PM
Just a thought, but Shields did a very good job when he played LT, he already plays the right side so convential wisdom says he might be even better as a RT compared to LT. Welbourne has taken the majority of his regular season snaps as a guard, so why not try it? IMO, it couldn't hurt because Welby is struggling as the RT. Thoughts?

booger
09-14-2004, 12:30 PM
Nope.

We do alot of pulling with all of our lineman especially guards, and Shields is one of the best at what he does. Either Welbourn will get it or Bober will get some reps at RT.

morphius
09-14-2004, 12:31 PM
I have been wondering the same thing all offseason honestly. The only thing I can think of is because he might not have the reach they want, but I don't know.

TRR
09-14-2004, 12:34 PM
Sorry to be so blunt, but that is a very dumb idea. How many years has Shields been playing RG? Talk about srewing up a consistent thing.

You don't move lineman around. You find a spot for them, and that's where they play. Roaf, Waters, Wieigmann, and Shields are all cemented and used to each other. Don't move them around.

Like someone said earlier, Welbourn (no E at the end) will pick it up in the passing game, or Bober will step in.

Skip Towne
09-14-2004, 12:35 PM
You'll need to clear this move with DV.

Hoover
09-14-2004, 12:41 PM
yeah, we are a running team and i wouldn't mess with the inside of the line. Welbourn can run block like a champ, I'm going to give him a few more starts before I go all crazy about it.

TRR
09-14-2004, 12:42 PM
Your right on Hoover. John Welbourn can run block as good or better than anyone on our O Line. He is downright dominate in the running game.

morphius
09-14-2004, 12:52 PM
Sorry to be so blunt, but that is a very dumb idea. How many years has Shields been playing RG? Talk about srewing up a consistent thing.

You don't move lineman around. You find a spot for them, and that's where they play. Roaf, Waters, Wieigmann, and Shields are all cemented and used to each other. Don't move them around.

Like someone said earlier, Welbourn (no E at the end) will pick it up in the passing game, or Bober will step in.
Wasn't Welborn a guard?

Otter
09-14-2004, 12:56 PM
When Chiefs acquired Welbourne I asked alot of people about him (I live in Eagles Hell) and they said he's a good RT but has a tendency to jump off sides during the big plays.

Let's not give up on him after one game.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 12:57 PM
It's not necessary. Welbourn will get to where we need him to be.

His blocking simply wasn't that bad against Denver. It was his penalties that killed us. Those won't happen at home.

Mr. Laz
09-14-2004, 12:57 PM
Wasn't Welborn a guard?

yes....

and yes, we should of put Welborn at guard and shields at right tackle from the very beginning on the year. i figured that the chiefs were going to do that and said as much back when they made the trade.

but now it's too late ... you dont wanna jack around with a bunch of offensive line moves during the season.

Cormac
09-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Welbourn should be worked into our line. It would be a big mistake to make any other changes to the other 4 guys to compensate, IMO. Shields might make a great RT, but he's better at RG. No doubt about it.

Besides, Welbourn has only had 1 game, and is coming off knee surgery. He'll improve rapidly IMO, and be even better next year. The biggest mistakes he made the other day were penalties. We probably won't see him make any at home without the crowd noise on offense. JMHO.

morphius
09-14-2004, 01:05 PM
yes....

and yes, we should of put Welborn at guard and shields at right tackle from the very beginning on the year. i figured that the chiefs were going to do that and said as much back when they made the trade.

but now it's too late ... you dont wanna jack around with a bunch of offensive line moves during the season.
Thats pretty much how I feel as well.

TRR
09-14-2004, 01:12 PM
Why would you move Shields from his RG spot? It doesn't make any sense what so ever. None. Why mess with any of our 4 O Lineman already in place? It makes zero sense.

Welbourn has played both LG and RT in his career, more so LG. But he was eager to make the move to RT to become a starter. You don't shift an offensive line around that's been solid the past three seasons. It makes no sense.

Eleazar
09-14-2004, 01:13 PM
:rolleyes:

morphius
09-14-2004, 01:34 PM
Why would you move Shields from his RG spot? It doesn't make any sense what so ever. None. Why mess with any of our 4 O Lineman already in place? It makes zero sense.

Welbourn has played both LG and RT in his career, more so LG. But he was eager to make the move to RT to become a starter. You don't shift an offensive line around that's been solid the past three seasons. It makes no sense.
You would do it if your RT wasn't holding up and you had someone who gets paid like a tackle, and has the ability to be one right there. Sure it isn't ideal, and probably doesn't need to be done right now. You have said that you don't move lineman around, but Welborn was a guard, and you we don't even know that Bober, also a converted guard, could step in.

JohnnyV13
09-14-2004, 02:11 PM
If I recall correctly,

Denver plays Trevor Pryce over the right tackle. That's a much tougher than usual matchup in the pass rush for a right tackle. Of course, things won't get any easier this week vs. Carolina, when Welbourn has to block Mike Rucker.

Thinks of this period as Welbourn's trial by fire. He hasn't played RT in 4 years. He's likely rusty and will be burned. But, he will get better.

Lzen
09-14-2004, 02:14 PM
If Welbourn doesn't improve soon, I think it would be worth a try.

And for those that think John did a good job (other than penalties), try watching the game again. He was getting beaten like a drum for most of the first half. He seemed to do better in the 2nd half, though.

htismaqe
09-14-2004, 02:25 PM
If Welbourn doesn't improve soon, I think it would be worth a try.

And for those that think John did a good job (other than penalties), try watching the game again. He was getting beaten like a drum for most of the first half. He seemed to do better in the 2nd half, though.

You're watching one game, against Trevor Pryce.

Watch LAST YEAR'S game. You'll notice that, even though Welbourn didn't look GOOD by any stretch of the imagination, he didn't look considerably worse than John Tait.

Mark M
09-14-2004, 02:28 PM
yes....

Exactly.

While I see what BCF is getting out, and have to give him credit for some creative thinking, I say Welbourn will be find once he adjusts to the new position.

After all, it's not like Tait never got burned, especially against a great DLineman like Pryce (who, IIRC was a Chief at one time, wasn't he? Or am I wrong on that?).

MM
~~:thumb: but :shake:

go bo
09-14-2004, 02:29 PM
i didn't think welbourn got beat physically so much as needing to master the techniques of playing in space at rt, vs. playing interior line...

Lzen
09-14-2004, 02:36 PM
i didn't think welbourn got beat physically so much as needing to master the techniques of playing in space at rt, vs. playing interior line...

That's probably the most important thing. I'm still holding out hope. It's not like he is a crap lineman. But Denver made him look like crap. And frankly, he hasn't looked that great all preseason at RT.

BigChiefFan
09-14-2004, 04:53 PM
Just a thought, but Shields did a very good job when he played LT, he already plays the right side so convential wisdom says he might be even better as a RT compared to LT. Welbourne has taken the majority of his regular season snaps as a guard, so why not try it? IMO, it couldn't hurt because Welby is struggling as the RT. Thoughts?

BigChiefFan
09-14-2004, 04:59 PM

Very dumb move? How can this be a dumb move when we have actually moved Shields to LT before? I don't think you are being objective or open-minded enough. I'm not saying to give up on Welby, but we can't continue to struggle and lose games because of one players struggles. It's just a thought and one that has some merit to it.

KHinz57
09-14-2004, 05:01 PM
I just don't like the idea of seeing Will Shields anywhere but Right Guard where he has been for all of his career. The idea could probably work, it may be looked at, but I say don't mess with a good thing.

BigChiefFan
09-14-2004, 05:03 PM
Please delete this duplicate thread.

Chiefnj
09-14-2004, 05:08 PM
You don't move a guard to tackle. That would be dumb. Oh wait, that's what we did with Welbourn.

I think they will certainly consider doing it if Peppers has a big game and forces Trent to play like he did against the Broncos.

I'm still of the opinion that Green got his bell rung on the big pass play and was a bit air headed the rest of the game.

ChiefsCountry
09-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Willie Roaf was getting beat alot too and had several pentlies on him. It wasn't just Welbourn.

Calcountry
09-14-2004, 06:24 PM
Nope.

We do alot of pulling with all of our lineman especially guards, and Shields is one of the best at what he does. Either Welbourn will get it or Bober will get some reps at RT.
I guess Tait is going to be missed more than we thought. : :shake:

whoman69
09-14-2004, 07:44 PM

You adopted this guy. You're supposed to defend him more than that.

htismaqe
09-15-2004, 09:35 AM
I guess Tait is going to be missed more than we thought. : :shake:

Go watch last year's game at Mile High. Welbourn struggled, but nobody should be missing Taint.

TRR
09-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Dumb idea.

You just plug and play. Bottom line. Why plug two holes when you can just plug one? You move Shields to RT where he hasn't played in how many years? Literally...How many years? So Shields, the best Guard in the NFL IMO is now trying to learn a new position just like Welbourn is.

Then you've got Welbourn, who's spent all camp at RT, learning another new position in RG (He played LG for his entire career other than RT).

Why plug two holes when you can just plug one? Welbourn will come around.

Mr. Laz
09-15-2004, 11:04 AM
Dumb idea.

You just plug and play. Bottom line. Why plug two holes when you can just plug one? You move Shields to RT where he hasn't played in how many years? Literally...How many years? So Shields, the best Guard in the NFL IMO is now trying to learn a new position just like Welbourn is.

Then you've got Welbourn, who's spent all camp at RT, learning another new position in RG (He played LG for his entire career other than RT).

Why plug two holes when you can just plug one? Welbourn will come around.

i disagree...

your ignoring the fact that both players have already played the other position.

shields HAS played OT before ... and welbourn HAS played more guard than OT.

i dont think we should make a change now.... but that switch should of been made from the very beginning.

Shields quick feet and great technique would serve us really well out at right tackle.

Welbourn's power and aggressive attitude would be great inside and pulling to flatten LB's and Secondary personnel.

hopefully Welbourn will continue to develope and we will be ok... but IMO it was a mistake to not make that move when we first traded for Welbourn

HC_Chief
09-15-2004, 11:06 AM
Not yet. He had a couple of penalties and allowed pressure on a couple of plays. Not a great game, but certainly not as bad as many made it out to be.

Cormac
09-15-2004, 11:41 AM
A lot of people have raved over how well Welbourn is doing in the running game. So his only problem is pass-blocking, right? If we move Shields to RT, then our running game will surely suffer. No matter how talented Shields is, or how much he has played OT before, he hasn't ever played RT in our system. With all the pulling our linemen do, it would be a terrible move to switch Shields to RT. It would cause a lot of confusion that can be avoided if we just give Welbourn the benefit of the doubt, give him some time to get used to the position (again) and strengthen his knee. If all else fails, we do what other teams would likely do in this scenario:

(1) Use somebody else (Bober or even Sampson (not that he's likely to be an upgrade))

or

(2) Line up Jason Dunn to his outside to help

Are these not better options than moving one of the league's best O-linemen???

BigChiefFan
09-15-2004, 12:13 PM
A lot of people have raved over how well Welbourn is doing in the running game. So his only problem is pass-blocking, right? If we move Shields to RT, then our running game will surely suffer. No matter how talented Shields is, or how much he has played OT before, he hasn't ever played RT in our system. With all the pulling our linemen do, it would be a terrible move to switch Shields to RT. It would cause a lot of confusion that can be avoided if we just give Welbourn the benefit of the doubt, give him some time to get used to the position (again) and strengthen his knee. If all else fails, we do what other teams would likely do in this scenario:

(1) Use somebody else (Bober or even Sampson (not that he's likely to be an upgrade))

or

(2) Line up Jason Dunn to his outside to help

Are these not better options than moving one of the league's best O-linemen???
If Shields is one of the best O-lineman in the league(your words) and he has excelled at LT, then wouldn't moving one of the best O-lineman in the league to his natural side make sense? I'm not saying we should do this now, but if Welby continues to struggle I would definitely consider this move.

htismaqe
09-15-2004, 12:14 PM
Not yet. He had a couple of penalties and allowed pressure on a couple of plays. Not a great game, but certainly not as bad as many made it out to be.

:toast:

htismaqe
09-15-2004, 12:15 PM
Don't move people. That's why we paid almost $2M to Jason Dunn. Line him up next to Welbourn and be done with it.