PDA

View Full Version : D factors??

Calcountry
09-14-2004, 07:29 PM
It has become the consensus of most of the football analysts on the Planet that our _fense is still lacking. Perhaps some of you could give us more football challenged some keys to look for that would indicate the D is coming arround. For instance, Holding opposing runners to fewer than 80 yards for the whole opposing team.

I am curious to see some detail besides the obvious. Waiting to be impressed. How CAN the Chiefs but the D back in our _fense?

morphius
09-14-2004, 07:34 PM
It has become the consensus of most of the football analysts on the Planet that our _fense is still lacking. Perhaps some of you could give us more football challenged some keys to look for that would indicate the D is coming arround. For instance, Holding opposing runners to fewer than 80 yards for the whole opposing team.

I am curious to see some detail besides the obvious. Waiting to be impressed. How CAN the Chiefs but the D back in our _fense?
Wow, its so bad the e left with the D.

KcMizzou
09-14-2004, 07:36 PM
I'm not ready to jump ship just yet. I think there's been a HUGE over reaction... but that's what we do here. I'd be interested in hearing Keg's thoughts... Has he been around lately?

Calcountry
09-14-2004, 07:37 PM
Wow, its so bad the e left with the D.
ROFL

Calcountry
09-14-2004, 07:38 PM
I'm not ready to jump ship just yet. I think there's been a HUGE over reaction... but that's what we do here. I'd be interested in hearing Keg's thoughts... Has he been around lately?
I don't want to "jump" ship, since I haven't got on the ship in the first place. I am just asking some of you players what to look for before I "jump" on the Defensive ship. I like want the building inspector to give me some things to look for to make sure the house is sound before I buy. :p

OldTownChief
09-14-2004, 07:38 PM

Hell I'd be happy if we'd just hold one of the running backs from the opposing to under 80 yards.

Calcountry
09-14-2004, 07:40 PM
Hell I'd be happy if we'd just hold one of the running backs from the opposing to under 80 yards.
The reason I had to qualify that is we may very well hold one to 80, and the fullback to 60 and the QB to 50, but then what good would that be???

Calcountry
09-14-2004, 07:41 PM
I have to go home now, so dont' think I am seagulling and running. I will check the thread out tomorrow K. bye now. :)

whoman69
09-14-2004, 07:42 PM
I think when this D gets rolling you will be able to tell by plays for a loss. The old philosophy was to just keep watching the offense until they make a mistake. Problem was, we couldn't force those mistakes. The theory now is to not allow the offense to do what it wants. Put them where we want them. We are still having guys out of position, that will come to a stop.

Skip Towne
09-14-2004, 07:43 PM
First, quit worrying about yards allowed. That doesn't matter. Points allowed matters. To quote John Madden "In order to win the game you must have more points than the other guy". Look for improvement in points allowed.

NaptownChief
09-14-2004, 07:45 PM

I'm still hoping like hell for a good season but it is not like Sunday night was an aberration...It was exactly what they have been doing for two years. The fact we didn't change a single starter doesn't allow for the "wait till all the new guys get settled in" false hope either. We are what we are and that is a very poor defense. The offense has been hitting on all cylinders the past season plus and the odds are it will probably fade due to age and injuries. Week 1 certainly would leave a person to believe that has already occurred with the passing game.

I'm not looking to be anything other than realistic based on the facts that are put in front of me and those facts leave this rational person to believe we are in for a typical non-playoff winning season. But hell if Chief fans aren't use to that by now they might want to seek a doctor.

Skip Towne
09-14-2004, 07:49 PM
I'm still hoping like hell for a good season but it is not like Sunday night was an aberration...It was exactly what they have been doing for two years. The fact we didn't change a single starter doesn't allow for the "wait till all the new guys get settled in" false hope either. We are what we are and that is a very poor defense. The offense has been hitting on all cylinders the past season plus and the odds are it will probably fade due to age and injuries. Week 1 certainly would leave a person to believe that has already occurred with the passing game.

I'm not looking to be anything other than realistic based on the facts that are put in front of me and those facts leave this rational person to believe we are in for a typical non-playoff winning season. But hell if Chief fans aren't use to that by now they might want to seek a doctor.
Thank you for that assessment, Vlad and now back to the game. :p

cdcox
09-14-2004, 07:49 PM
Plummer really exposed our weakness on the perimeter. With the current personnel, I think we need a new scheme to contain the bootleg.

NaptownChief
09-14-2004, 07:51 PM
Thank you for that assessment, Vlad and now back to the game. :p

How you been shooting this season? Really worked on my short game this year and putting about 70% of my rounds in the 80's....Cracked the 70's twice.

KcMizzou
09-14-2004, 07:54 PM
I'm still hoping like hell for a good season but it is not like Sunday night was an aberration...It was exactly what they have been doing for two years. The fact we didn't change a single starter doesn't allow for the "wait till all the new guys get settled in" false hope either. We are what we are and that is a very poor defense. How about "wait till the old guys get comfortable with the new scheme"?

You raise a lot of good points, and anyone who say's they're positive that this will be a good defense is just being silly. But I'm pretty hopefull. Hell, I'd go so far as to say optimistic...

While we made the same mistakes as last year, we also made some big Plays on D that we rarely saw last year. I think as the weeks pass, and the guys get more comfortable, the mistakes will come less and less often.

morphius
09-14-2004, 07:55 PM
Plummer really exposed our weakness on the perimeter. With the current personnel, I think we need a new scheme to contain the bootleg.
Why the hell did you do that with a pdf?

NaptownChief
09-14-2004, 07:58 PM
How about "wait till the old guys get comfortable with the new scheme"?

You raise a lot of good points, and anyone who say's they're positive that this will be a good defense is just being silly. But I'm pretty hopefull. Hell, I'd go so far as to say optimistic...

While we made the same mistakes as last year, we also made some big Plays on D that we rarely saw last year. I think as the weeks pass, and the guys get more comfortable, the mistakes will come less and less often.

I think I would still be very optimistic had we addressed our lack of WR talent with a Rashaun Woods or a Kerry Colbert to keep the offense clicking and being able to overcome our defense....but I think the offense will be taking a few steps back due to age and the fact we almost certainly won't be near as lucky as last season on the injury front.

KcMizzou
09-14-2004, 07:59 PM
Also... as for the offense slipping....

Let's not forget, that was a hell of a defense we played against Sunday night. (in a hostile enviroment) We'll only play on the road 7 more times, and not many of those stadiums are as tough as Investco. (on a Sunday Night in prime time, no less) And, We won't play many defenses as good as that one.

(It burns my ass to compliment the Broncos, but it's true.)

cdcox
09-14-2004, 08:00 PM
Why the hell did you do that with a pdf?

My dad works for Acrobat?

(changed it to a gif)

NaptownChief
09-14-2004, 08:01 PM

Let's not forget, that was a hell of a defense we played against Sunday night. (in a hostile enviroment) We'll only play on the road 7 more times, and not many of those stadiums are as tough as Investco. And, We won't play many defenses as good as that one.

They certainly have a good defense or at least I expect them to be, I got their defense in all my fantasy leagues for that reason, but they also laid a blue print of putting your best cover guy on Gonzo and any journeyman bum will do on Morton and Kennison.

morphius
09-14-2004, 08:03 PM
My dad works for Acrobat?

(changed it to a gif)
LOL! I can't really argue against that reasoning.

cdcox
09-14-2004, 08:04 PM
They certainly have a good defense or at least I expect them to be, I got their defense in all my fantasy leagues for that reason, but they also laid a blue print of putting your best cover guy on Gonzo and any journeyman bum will do on Morton and Kennison.

I don't think just our opponents will be able to just match up any old #1 corner on Gonzo. Baily is one of the top corners in the league. Maybe a handful of guys in the league could defend him, IMO.

Mr. Laz
09-14-2004, 08:05 PM
First, quit worrying about yards allowed.
that's just naive

technically yards dont matter... correct ... but what in the hell do you think happens when you give up 300 yrds on a 100 yard field?

yards "generally" do translate into points

the more yards you give up, the more chances the other team has to get points.

KcMizzou
09-14-2004, 08:06 PM
They certainly have a good defense or at least I expect them to be, I got their defense in all my fantasy leagues for that reason, but they also laid a blue print of putting your best cover guy on Gonzo and any journeyman bum will do on Morton and Kennison. Yeah, I've thought about that as well. They could afford to use their all-world CB on a TE, because they knew our top two WR's couldn't burn their 2nd and 3rd best cover guys.

morphius
I do think our D still has to gel, woods hasn't had any time with these guys in the neew scheme, McCleon was out for a long period of time, as was Wesley. We lost our first two MLB, and being he is the D's QB, its gonna take some time getting used to him and what he is going to do. Its pretty much a big old mess out there, and it showed.

Mr. Laz
my keys for the defense

1. tackling - when you start seeing the first guy making the tackle ... and stop seeing so many yards after contact it means the defense is starting to be in the right place at the right time and playing with the right intensity.

2. pass defenses - when our coverage guys start getting hands on the ball to knock down passes its the same as the tackling ... it means our secondary is in the right place at the right time.

3. winning the line of scrimmage - when we start playing more on the offense's side of the line of scrimmage instead of own it means our defense is getting on target. Whether it's from blitzing or just from our defensive line beating the man in front of them ... penetration = good.

tk13
09-14-2004, 08:08 PM
I think I would still be very optimistic had we addressed our lack of WR talent with a Rashaun Woods or a Kerry Colbert to keep the offense clicking and being able to overcome our defense....

I wanted Woods too, but to be honest the guy is the #5 WR for a Niners offense that was gutted in the offseason... if Kris Wilson had stayed healthy he might've very well put up better numbers than Woods this year.

KcMizzou
09-14-2004, 08:11 PM
I think the home field advantage is being over looked a little. If we had opened up at home, in a prime time night game. I'd have been very confident no matter who we faced. That stadium was as amped up as it will be all year.

If you have to start your season against a tough division rival, that's the way you wanna do it.

They whipped us, yeah.. but the more I think about it... the better I feel.

NaptownChief
09-14-2004, 08:13 PM
I wanted Woods too, but to be honest the guy is the #5 WR for a Niners offense that was gutted in the offseason... if Kris Wilson had stayed healthy he might've very well put up better numbers than Woods this year.

That is only due to injury...I read somewhere that the coaches were very impressed with him when healty and that he would have been a opening day starter had he not missed so much time....

Calcountry
09-15-2004, 12:47 PM

Let's not forget, that was a hell of a defense we played against Sunday night. (in a hostile enviroment) We'll only play on the road 7 more times, and not many of those stadiums are as tough as Investco. (on a Sunday Night in prime time, no less) And, We won't play many defenses as good as that one.

Thank God their Offense threw away 17 points.

KC Jones
09-15-2004, 01:25 PM
1) More Punts than scoring drives.

2) Hold our opponent to less than 33% conversion on 3rd downs.

3) Hold our opponents to less than 3.5 ypc in their rushing game.

HC_Chief
09-15-2004, 01:36 PM
1) IMPROVE FUNDAMENTALS! That means staying in your lane and wrapping up on tackles (rather than going for a 'highlight reel' hit).

2) Place a concerted effort on holding opposing RBs to <= 4ypc.

3) Place emphasis on pressuring opposing QBs with just a four-man rush.

4) NO MORE PENALTIES.