PDA

View Full Version : Okay, 2 days later here is what I saw after watching the game again..

donkhater
09-15-2004, 07:24 AM
I try to take some time between the game and when I watch tape again. It helps keep emotion out of it.

My observations...

1. I have to agree with Adam....somewhat. The defense, I thought, played pretty well until KC tied the score at 17 midway through the third. Up to that point Plummer had around 100 yards passing and Griffin had around 50 yards rushing. Not bad. After that, though, the flood gates opened. 5 straight offensive plays of 10 yards or more.

--Jake bootleg pass down field to Smith
--Griffin sweep for 10+
--Griffin up the middle for a long TD
--Jake rollout bomb to Lelie
--Griffin up the middle (fumbles at goal line)

2. One of the reasons Denver staked that 10 point lead was penalties and one dumb decision by Trent on that sack. KC's offense shot themselves into 2nd (&3rd) and long WAY to many times.
Denver got excellent field position. Sure, the defense has 50-60 yards to keep them out of the endzone, but they had a short field the whole first half. The D had them in 3rd and long a number of times then let Champ gain a big gain and a facemask (those darn penalties again) let them off the hook.

3. The way the DE was playing (mainly Holliday, but Hicks and Stills also) I got to believe that DV or Gunther told them not to worry about containing Plummer. Why? because they ALWAYS crashed down the line. The strategy had to be that they were going to sell out stopping the run because the DE NEVER hesitated even for a second to check containment. Why? I don't know. The DE never made the play on the RB anyway even when they did crash the line. Maddening. :cuss:

4. Trent (other than the sack) played well. His INT was a great play by a great player (Champ). The penalties just kept him from finding any rythym.

5. Saunders called a pretty mediocre game. There was no creativity to get Gonzo open and he steadfastly tried to get Priest to the outside on those plays in which everyone pulls. Never worked. No end arounds, no reverses, no screens (Blaylock is great at those middle of the field screens), and no "let's see if Smith can beat one of their other CBs deep" plays.

6. Tynes is going to be a good kicker for this team.

7. Kennison had a good game. Not great, but I doubt we'll ever see a 'great' game from him.

Cormac
09-15-2004, 07:36 AM
Nice post donkhater.

1. I also liked a lot of what the defense did. However, they're just not consistent yet, and that will be an ongoing problem, IMO. Still, they're better than the second half of last year, and should improve throughout the season.

2. Good point about second and long. I wonder what our average gain on 1st down was.....:eek:

3. Nice observation.

4. Trent did fine. He was under a lot of pressure, but I believe his biggest problem was a lack of separation by the pass-catchers. Gonzo was mugged several times - I'm certainly not blaming the refs for the loss, but it's interesting that the 5 yard rule seemed conveniently forgotten - and he was never open all game long. Of course he was readily doubled too. Denver's D did a great job on him.

5. I think Al stayed away from the "wrinkles" because we couldn't get any basic stuff going. Except for the run-oriented drives, and then there was no point in changing anything. I don't subscribe to the "where the **** was Richard Smith theory". Richard Smith will serve as little more than a decoy all season, IMO. I just can't see him contributing. Even to throw to him down the field is a risk especially against Denver's coverage. Having him on the team at all says a lot more about the quality of our other receivers, than it does about Smith himself, IMO. One of the only times I noticed him, Green was redirecting him to the other side of the field because he was lining up on the wrong side!

6. Tynes = :thumb:
DV's gamble with the K/P might well pay off.

7. Kennison was huge for us. Without him, we were Bartee.

I'll just add in: our tackling was really worrisome. I wish it was an aberration, but it's been like that for years now. Can Gunther fix it? If he can, our D will improve by 100 yards overnight!!!

Again, nice thread.

donkhater
09-15-2004, 07:46 AM
The D was pretty bad from about mid third quarter and on, but KC could have won this game had two things been different.

1. Fewer penalties
2. The opponent kicking in the thin air of Mile High.

Both these things were MAJOR contributors to some crummy field position the entire game.

KCTitus
09-15-2004, 07:50 AM
Oh, goody! Film Breakdown!

Hey, donkhater, can you go back and check the tape and tell me on the Siavii sack, how did that lard ass get through the line? Did the burronco fall down before the snap?

KC Jones
09-15-2004, 07:56 AM
Our kick coverage sucked. Their kicking and coverage was awesome. They routinely had good field position. We had good field position 3 times, which resulted in 10 points and one INT. Last year we routinely had great field position to work with.

donkhater
09-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Oh, goody! Film Breakdown!

Hey, donkhater, can you go back and check the tape and tell me on the Siavii sack, how did that lard ass get through the line? Did the burronco fall down before the snap?
I can't breakdown film. I'm not a football coach or player. These were just my impressions of the game.

On the Siavii sack, he just pushed the guard out of the way and went straight upfield.

donkhater
09-15-2004, 08:17 AM
Don't underestimate those penalties. In 2nd (or 3rd) and long Denver went nickel and pinned their ears back. Sure the tackles struggled and the coverage was good, but the main reason Trent struggled was getting put into those pass-predictable positions.

2nd or 3rd and short(er) and I think Trent plays a much better game. I know that's a 'Duh' statement to make, but the penalties (and some crappy play calling) put the offense in no-win (or hard-to-win) situations.

Raiderhater
09-15-2004, 08:27 AM
Okay, 2 days later here is what I saw after watching the game again..

Sadist.

donkhater
09-15-2004, 08:43 AM
Sadist.
Indeed.

Hoover
09-15-2004, 08:49 AM
I like the DE's crashing in, but not vs a teams that runs the bootleg as much as Denver did.

htismaqe
09-15-2004, 08:52 AM
I can't breakdown film. I'm not a football coach or player. These were just my impressions of the game.

On the Siavii sack, he just pushed the guard out of the way and went straight upfield.

He's being sarcastic, dude.

He was taking a shot at someone else at your expense. :D

Good work, by the way. :thumb:

donkhater
09-15-2004, 08:56 AM
He's being sarcastic, dude.

He was taking a shot at someone else at your expense. :D

Good work, by the way. :thumb:
I didn't take offense even tough it may have came off that way. I'm just a fan that wants to talk football and enjoy feedback on my takes like everyone else does.

KCTitus
09-15-2004, 09:02 AM
I didn't take offense even tough it may have came off that way. I'm just a fan that wants to talk football and enjoy feedback on my takes like everyone else does.

Why did this post, just pop that 'Im just a bill, up on capitol hill...' school house rock song in my head?

shaneo69
09-15-2004, 09:29 AM
Okay, several people now have said that Kennison played a great game. I don't get it; I thought he had a horrible game. Three plays in particular...

1.) The catch at the beginning of the game where he fumbled after getting up and trying to run. HOLD ON TO THE FREAKIN' BALL!!! This play gave me flashbacks to the opening drive last year against Minnesota where he fumbled and the refs blew the call in the Vikings favor.

2) I think it was a 3rd down play where Trent threw to him on the sidelines and he inexplicably went out of bounds, causing the pass to be incomplete.

3) The 3rd and 7 play where he ran a 5 yard route and then couldn't break the tackle of a rookie 4th string CB.

donkhater
09-15-2004, 09:51 AM
Okay, several people now have said that Kennison played a great game. I don't get it; I thought he had a horrible game. Three plays in particular...

1.) The catch at the beginning of the game where he fumbled after getting up and trying to run. HOLD ON TO THE FREAKIN' BALL!!! This play gave me flashbacks to the opening drive last year against Minnesota where he fumbled and the refs blew the call in the Vikings favor.

2) I think it was a 3rd down play where Trent threw to him on the sidelines and he inexplicably went out of bounds, causing the pass to be incomplete.

3) The 3rd and 7 play where he ran a 5 yard route and then couldn't break the tackle of a rookie 4th string CB.
I said he played a good game, not a great one. Even though he fumbled when hit he did get loose downfield and were it not for Green overthrowing the ball (not Green's fault mind you, no one is perfect) he scores a TD standing up.

He caught 5 other balls in the game, some for first downs. 6 catches for 101 yards is a good game. I don't think we should expect more from him.

BTW he's on track for a 96-catch, 1600 yard season!! ROFL

picasso
09-15-2004, 09:52 AM
Great post. I like positive ones of this nature. Ya know one of the only things that bothered me in this game was the only pass interference call was against our man Gonzo. I read in a previous post someone thought Gonzo was whining and complaining all night. He had reason to IMO.
Was it interference on Gonzo? Yes. But He probably got pissed off by then and felt it necessary for a little retaliation.

NewChief
09-15-2004, 10:10 AM
Was it interference on Gonzo? Yes. But He probably got pissed off by then and felt it necessary for a little retaliation.

What almost always happens to Tony (according to an "inside source") is that he complains repeatedly (and rightly) to the referees about getting mugged. The refs then watch closely and inevitably tag him with the PI, instead of the defender. I think it's their way of saying, "Quit yer whining." Poor professionalism on their part, but not unexpected.

NewChief
09-15-2004, 10:12 AM

I don't necessarily agree with the above, but I'll add my own.

On Champ's interception, as Trent is scrambling, Eddie is just standing there with his thumb on his butt. It stood out so strongly because earlier in the day I watched what Moss did when Dante was scrambling. He streaked up the sideline quickly and actively, trying to get open and bring himself closer to his QB.

HC_Chief
09-15-2004, 10:14 AM
On the INT Kennison motioned to Tony Gonzalez, then cleared his man to the outside. Watch the replay.

Tony G was open... Bailey made a phenominal play.

ChiefsCountry
09-15-2004, 10:46 AM
Green was going to Tony G, not Kennison.

andoman
09-15-2004, 06:07 PM

Looked to me like it was inside five yards. The ball was not in the air yet. How could that be pass interference? :banghead: