PDA

View Full Version : Moving back to Gods country

bogie
09-15-2004, 03:21 PM
I moved away from MO to CA 14 years ago. I have since married and have a 6 year old daughter. While I really do love Southern California (mostly the weather), I think I want to come home. I grew up near Springfield, so I'm concidering moving back to Springfield, but am also concidering KC. I will probably be moving back with a fairly nice chunk of change. I'm looking for a house in the $150,000. to $250,000. price range and also plan to open a business. I don't want to live in the city but do want to be near. Say, 20 or 30 minutes out. I have been surfing real estate sights, but am not real familiar anymore with Springfield or Kansas City. I don't want to buy a brand new house, or a ranch style house. I'm looking for an older home with roots if you know what I mean. Something built in the 1930's or 1940's with a little land maybe an acre or 2. I want to live on a quiet street with big trees in a safe area with a GREAT school system. Can anyone suggest good, old, established burbs or neighborhoods in or around Springfield or Kansas City? Something I can find on a map while searching for realestate. Any help would be greatly appreciated. :grovel:

JimNasium
09-15-2004, 03:35 PM
There are numerous bedroom communities within a 30 minute drive of Springfield. In Greene County you can choose from Republic, Willard, Ash Grove, Walnut Grove, Fair Grove, Strafford, or Rogersville. Other communities you can check into include Bolivar, Marshfield, Ozark, Nixa, Mount Vernon just to name a few. I'd go to www.murney.com and see if you can find a property that you are interested in. FWIW, of the communities I mentioned the schools in Ozark, Nixa and Willard are all good. I'd have to check on the others.

bogie
09-15-2004, 04:34 PM
Thanks JimNasium

ChiefsOne
09-15-2004, 04:35 PM
I have a good friend at Murney if you need some help.

Springfield is a great place to live. I live in town and it is great, southwest side. Kickapoo high school district, Carver middle school is the newest, all the elementry schools in that district are great.

Ozark and Nixa are great to live and schools too. I think Nixa is the fastest growing county in Missouri.

Having lived in KC and Springfield there are great things to both. KC for the city life and things to do and of course going to Chiefs games. Better pay scale in KC too.

Springfield area is the better place to raise kids IMO and for family. Great schools, not really any crime to mention and a little slower paced.

Matt Helm
09-15-2004, 04:39 PM
If you are looking in the KC area check out some of the small towns around (Kansas side) Leavenworth, Lansing, Tonganoxie, Olathe, Spring Hill, Gardner, (Missouri Side) Platt City is the only one I know over there.

The burbs of KC are not too bad. Lenexa, Overland Park, and Shawnee are a few, but I know there are more and on both sides of the line.

The further out you get, the more house you get for your bucks. Spring Hill is a podunk but is close enough to KC for the big city needs.

Dr. Johnny Fever
09-15-2004, 05:14 PM
I thought from the thread title you were moving to Jeruselum or the area once known as Bethlehem.....which is not called Iraq I think....?

Donger
09-15-2004, 05:20 PM
I thought from the thread title you were moving to Jeruselum or the area once known as Bethlehem.....which is not called Iraq I think....?

Huh?

JimNasium
09-15-2004, 05:29 PM
I thought from the thread title you were moving to Jeruselum or the area once known as Bethlehem.....which is not called Iraq I think....?It's time to put Fluffy to sleep.

BigRedChief
09-15-2004, 05:31 PM
I was born and raised in Springfield. I've lived in KC for the last 15 years. Springfield is a little too redneck for my tastes and the pay is not that good. Housing and groceries are about the same but the pay is about 25% less in general. Lots of what you are looking for in the KC metro area. Just jump on the highway and you have your city life.

JimNasium
09-15-2004, 05:38 PM
I was born and raised in Springfield. I've lived in KC for the last 15 years. Springfield is a little too redneck for my tastes and the pay is not that good. Housing and groceries are about the same but the pay is about 25% less in general. Lots of what you are looking for in the KC metro area. Just jump on the highway and you have your city life.I think you would be surprised at how much Springfield has changed in 15 years.

go bo
09-15-2004, 06:30 PM
I thought from the thread title you were moving to Jeruselum or the area once known as Bethlehem.....which is not called Iraq I think....?i thought he was talking about montana or wyomoing or somewhere in the high mountains...

Rain Man
09-15-2004, 06:40 PM
If the Ozarks are God's country, I guess that explains why Jesus had a mullet.

http://www.eskimo.com/~wayneld/pix/jesus-n-med.jpg

Jenson71
09-15-2004, 06:44 PM

:shake:

ROFL ROFL ROFL

Rain Man is bringing his A game tonight. I'm just glad I'm here to witness it.

Skip Towne
09-15-2004, 07:01 PM
I was born and raised in Springfield. I've lived in KC for the last 15 years. Springfield is a little too redneck for my tastes and the pay is not that good. Housing and groceries are about the same but the pay is about 25% less in general. Lots of what you are looking for in the KC metro area. Just jump on the highway and you have your city life.
I've lived both places and I much prefer Springfield. KC's traffic jams are intolerable. Just jump on the highway and you're in one. Many times taking an hour to go 15 miles.

bogie
09-16-2004, 11:38 AM
I've lived both places and I much prefer Springfield. KC's traffic jams are intolerable. Just jump on the highway and you're in one. Many times taking an hour to go 15 miles.

After living in LA for the last 14 years, I've had it with traffic! I went to school at SMSU many, many, did I say many years ago. There is a specific neighborhood that I'm trying to pinpoint the area. The neighborhood I believe was North of the Battlefield Mall. I think it was North of Glenstone and West of Battlefield.
:hmmm:
I know Springfield has grown a lot, so that area may be a shopping mall or something by now.

|Zach|
09-16-2004, 11:40 AM
I think you would be surprised at how much Springfield has changed in 15 years.
I have only been around for 3 or so years and it has changed a ton it seems

|Zach|
09-16-2004, 11:41 AM
If I was moving to the KC Burbs right now I would go to Lee's Summit...

phisherman
09-16-2004, 11:46 AM
well, i have to interject...i've lived in kc forever and whoever thinks KC's traffic is bad, let's get a clue! have you ever driven in rush hour in another city...i drive thru the grandview triangle every day(known as one of the worst KC traffic bottlenecks) twice and i've gotta say, it's nothing like trying to drive on 270 in st. louis in rush hour, not even close...
it takes me 30 minutes to get from lee's summit to overland park in the morning...it's 23 miles in 30 minutes...since when is that heavy traffic?

lee's summit is also a great place to live...around 60,000 people, it's a little expensive, but the schools are really top-notch and the home values have traditionally raised pretty quickly here....but then again, i do live there, so i could be a bit biased..

just my $.02

bp

|Zach|
09-16-2004, 11:52 AM
well, i have to interject...i've lived in kc forever and whoever thinks KC's traffic is bad, let's get a clue! have you ever driven in rush hour in another city...i drive thru the grandview triangle every day(known as one of the worst KC traffic bottlenecks) twice and i've gotta say, it's nothing like trying to drive on 270 in st. louis in rush hour, not even close...
it takes me 30 minutes to get from lee's summit to overland park in the morning...it's 23 miles in 30 minutes...since when is that heavy traffic?

lee's summit is also a great place to live...around 60,000 people, it's a little expensive, but the schools are really top-notch and the home values have traditionally raised pretty quickly here....but then again, i do live there, so i could be a bit biased..

just my $.02

bp
I was taking a summer class at Longview and the instructor was from California. Some folks were bitching about traffic on the grandview triangle and he just kind of laughed at them and said "Oh you mean that place where you kind of have to slow down sometimes?" He then told us stories of him going through traffic in CA they were pretty funny. He says he met his future wife sitting in traffic there was so little movement that they had the time to talk, get to know eachother and he set up a date.

As far as Lee's Summit you are right. There are a lot of great homes and commercial things going on there. It is expanding in a great way. I am a Blue Springs kid and I think BS is also a great place to live...just like LS nop notch school district but Lee's Summits government does a better job of welcoming and encouraging commercial businesses and expansion in general.

ROYC75
09-16-2004, 12:05 PM
Louisburg Ks. is home .... maybe someday I can come .

BTW, it's 30 miles south of KC.....

BigMeatballDave
09-16-2004, 12:35 PM

http://www.eskimo.com/~wayneld/pix/jesus-n-med.jpg
ROFL Top notch...

Iowanian
09-16-2004, 12:39 PM
welcome To Iowa.

ChiefsOne
09-16-2004, 12:46 PM
The neighborhood I believe was North of the Battlefield Mall. I think it was North of Glenstone and West of Battlefield.[QUOTE]

Glenstone runs north and south, Battlefield runs east and west. Not really sure where you are talking about. North of the mall and west of Glenstone is a giant graveyard that has been there forever. ROFL

There are some neighborhoods northwest of the mall, but they are older and probably not the ideal place to live.

Southwest or east are probably the better places!

ChiefsOne
09-16-2004, 12:50 PM
Springfield area population has more than doubled in the last 15 years, new construction going on all the time.

As far as rednecks go, they all live north, by MOHillbilly!

BigRedChief
09-16-2004, 05:42 PM
I live in Lee's Summit now. The Johnson County of Missouri.... Top notch schools. Grade A park system. Cool Downtown. City street festivals. It's a happening little piece of the KC metro area.