PDA

View Full Version : KC Star: Chiefs Notes 9/16

tk13
09-16-2004, 01:46 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/9674704.htm

CHIEFS NOTES

DEFENSIVE LINE SHUFFLE

With Vonnie Holliday slowed because of a groin injury, veteran defensive tackle John Browning could see action at right defensive end Sunday against Carolina. If Browning moves outside, veteran Lional Dalton would be a likely candidate to open at tackle next to Ryan Sims. Dalton has made 28 starts at defensive tackle in seven NFL seasons.

Dalton and rookie Junior Siavii saw action in the rotation Sunday night against Denver. Siavii recorded his first career sack when he dropped Jake Plummer for a 9-yard loss. Siavii beat Denver right guard Dan Neil on the sack and on the next play drove Neil deep into the backfield on a run play.

“That (sack) was one of the most impressive plays I've seen a young defensive lineman make,” Chiefs coach Dick Vermeil said. “Once he learns how take advantage of his ability, Junior is going to be a heck of a player.”

THIRD DOWN KEY

One area where the Chiefs know they need to improve is on third down. Against Denver, the Chiefs converted just four of 13 third downs. In the game's most critical third-down situation, Eddie Kennison was stopped short of the marker by Denver corner Roc Alexander after making a catch on third-and-7 in the fourth quarter.

“Our biggest problem last week was putting ourselves in third-and-9 and more too many times, five of them because of penalties,” Vermeil said. “Illegal procedure and these kinds of different things hurt us more. We're better than that. We haven't been as good as we ought to be at third-and-7-plus yet. That was one of our goals and we didn't demonstrate that last week because we had too many penalties.”

NEWS AND NOTES

• The team released former MidAmerica Nazarene star John Booth from the practice squad and replaced him with tight end Casey Poppinga. Poppinga, who went to camp with Seattle, practiced Wednesday.

• Vermeil again denied having any interest in veteran wide receiver Keenan McCardell, who is in the midst of a prolonged holdout with Tampa Bay and has requested a trade.

INJURY UPDATE

Holliday, safety Greg Wesley (hamstring) and linebacker Keyaron Fox (quadriceps), did not practice. Middle linebacker Kawika Mitchell, who has been out because of an ankle injury since Aug. 23, returned to practice but Monty Beisel will start Sunday. Rookie wide receivers Samie Parker (hamstring) and Jeris McIntyre (hamstring) also returned to practice.

Willie Pile, who was a seventh-round pick out of Virginia Tech in the 2003 draft, worked at strong safety in Wesley's place.

INJURY REPORT

Pos Chiefs Injury Status
TE Kris Wilson ankle O
CB William Bartee neck Q
LB Keyaron Fox quad Q
DE Vonnie Holliday groin Q
LB Kawika Mitchell ankle Q
WR Samie Parker hamstring Q
S Greg Wesley hamstring Q
CB Dexter McCleon shoulder P
CB Eric Warfield knee P
G Brian Waters biceps P

Panthers Injury Status
WR Steve Smith leg O
LB Mark Fields ribs Q

Key: O – Out; D – Doubtful; Q – Questionable; P – Probable

— Ivan Carter/The Star

2bikemike
09-16-2004, 01:49 AM
10 people on the injury report. :shake:

teedubya
09-16-2004, 02:04 AM
Yeah, the Donks beat us up pretty bad... of course we knocked the shit out of them also... that was a fuggin battle.

kc hopeful
09-16-2004, 05:40 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/9674704.htm

CHIEFS NOTES

"Willie Pile, who was a seventh-round pick out of Virginia Tech in the 2003 draft, worked at strong safety in Wesley's place."

— Ivan Carter/The Star

Hope Wesley's alright by Sunday - but if he's not, it will be interesting to see WP in action.

jiveturkey
09-16-2004, 06:44 AM
What's up with Wilkerson? Does he only play LE?

And I thought that Harts was our bu SS???

C-Mac
09-16-2004, 06:51 AM

Same here, I thouht Harts was the back up.

Lzen
09-16-2004, 07:56 AM

Harts is the backup free safety.

htismaqe
09-16-2004, 08:44 AM
Pile is Wesley's backup at SS. Harts is the backup FS.

And I thought we cut Jeris McIntyre?

nmt1
09-16-2004, 08:49 AM
Pile is Wesley's backup at SS. Harts is the backup FS.

And I thought we cut Jeris McIntyre?

I've heard Vermiel say Harts can play both safety spots but I believe he's Woods' primary backup.
KCChiefs.com lists McIntyre as on the practice squad.

jiveturkey
09-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Any thoughts on Wilkerson?

Rukdafaidas
09-16-2004, 08:59 AM
I think they dropped Booth and picked up McIntyre.

Chiefnj
09-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Any thoughts on Wilkerson?

He should have stayed for his senior season.

jiveturkey
09-16-2004, 09:02 AM
I think they dropped Booth and picked up McIntyre.They dropped Booth and added a TE. They've had McIntyre on the PS the whole time.

He was injured coming out of camp and has started practicing again.

BigChiefFan
09-16-2004, 09:06 AM
I think they dropped Booth and picked up McIntyre.
Yes we dropped Booth, but like JT said we picked up a TE to add to the PS instead of Booth. He's a TE that had been on the Seahawks practice squad last year.